HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Aside from Jones and maybe Mackinnon/Barkov, I think Monahan may be the most "NHL ready" player in this draft. He's someone you could pick, slot into your top-9, and likely not have him look out of place, especially with strong wingers.

Lindholm is BPA after Barkov gets taken though. If he's on the board at 7 like Button predicts, we should all be ecstatic. I know he's not the big hulking C we'd love to have at 2C, but his level of skill and talent is unreal. Gives us basically a 1A/1B center type of set up down the middle with RNH/Lindholm. He's also a very good 2-way player as it is.

I'm kind of surprised Nurse has surged so much within the past 1-2 months. Is he still actively playing hockey? The Greyhounds were eliminated a while back from the OHL playoffs - and I don't think he was playing at the U-18's...I don't see where the jump is justified.

I'd be pretty choked to see CGY walk off the podium with Monahan - but if it's Lindholm coming our way because of it I'm going to be ecstatic.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Yeah, we totally need another small center.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I don't think there is one being talked about. Lindholm is 6'0 190lbs., Monahan is bigger, but if you end up 6.0.5 and 205lb playing weight...I don't think that makes him a small C.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
I don't think there is one being talked about. Lindholm is 6'0 190lbs., Monahan is bigger, but if you end up 6.0.5 and 205lb playing weight...I don't think that makes him a small C.
190 is a bit small, but I'm sure he'll grow into it a bit.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
doubledown99

The most NHL ready prospects (from OHL and WHL) IMO are:

Jones - #5-6 dman to start
Mackinnon - #2-3 center to start
Monahan - #2-4 center to start
Zadorov - #6 dman to start (...I also think his ceiling is #4 type dman eventually. So if I had choice between Nurse or him, I would choose Nurse).

Oilers would be lucky to end up with Monahan, Lindholm or Nurse.

I want Monahan badly as he fills so many needs. He is the lowest risk player in the draft IMO and also has high potential (a Getzlaf type center if he develops a quicker first few steps).

Old
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Lindholm is strong, tough to knock off the puck and is as tall as Forsberg. Is that really too small to be an effective NHLer?

Old
05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lindholm is strong, tough to knock off the puck and is as tall as Forsberg. Is that really too small to be an effective NHLer?
The grittiest forwards in the top 10 are Mack and Lindholm. They aren't the biggest but definitely the grittiest and the ones that most play with an edge and bite to their game.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Definitely not.
I know it's wrong, bad and should in every way be avoided but I'll do it anyway... He's really comparable to a 19-20 years old Zetterberg, only a couple of levels better at that age...
Highlights of Lindholm for hockey fans not interested in only seeing dangles, goals, etc. (more about positioning, style, technique and to a certain extent grit imo):

(he's no 19)

edit: and yes, I do realize that he gets destroyed by Seth Jones in the last 10 secs of the video (everyone so far seems to enjoy pointing it out...).

Last edited by LaGu: 05-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
The most NHL ready prospects (from OHL and WHL) IMO are:

Jones - #5-6 dman to start
Mackinnon - #2-3 center to start
Monahan - #2-4 center to start
Zadorov - #6 dman to start (...I also think his ceiling is #4 type dman eventually. So if I had choice between Nurse or him, I would choose Nurse).

Oilers would be lucky to end up with Monahan, Lindholm or Nurse.

I want Monahan badly as he fills so many needs. He is the lowest risk player in the draft IMO and also has high potential (a Getzlaf type center if he develops a quicker first few steps).
I don't know if I'd say Zadorov is that close to being NHL ready.

He only saw a little bit of PK time this season. I don't think Hunter could trust him because of the questionable decisions he made with and without the puck in his own end.

Physically he's ready, but I think I would rather him learn the intricacies of playing defense in the OHL for at least another season or two.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Definitely not.
I know it's wrong, bad and should in every way be avoided but I'll do it anyway... He's really comparable to a 19-20 years old Zetterberg, only a couple of levels better at that age...
Highlights of Lindholm for hockey fans not interested in only seeing dangles, goals, etc. (more about positioning, style, technique and to a certain extent grit imo):

(he's no 19)

I have seen that one before. He looks like he can win puck battles and doesn't fall over when breathed on hard, so that's strong enough for me.

My point was that I don't think his size should be a reason to pass on Lindholm, at his size he could be a very effective C in the NHL.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
LaGu

Quote:
I have seen that one before. He looks like he can win puck battles and doesn't fall over when breathed on hard, so that's strong enough for me.

My point was that I don't think his size should be a reason to pass on Lindholm, at his size he could be a very effective C in the NHL.
No doubt. I never reflected upon his size until a couple of months ago when it started to become obvious that we'd be high in the draft... As I wrote before, even though I know it's never a good thing comparing draft-players with current stars, he really looks like what a young Zeta would have looked like in a perfect world (although Zeta wasn't playing like this pre-draft, it started to come a couple of years later).

Anyway, I think/hope we'll come out of this with either Moanhan or Lindholm, I'd be thrilled for either one of them.

edit: the "definitely not" was an answer to your "Is that really too small to be an effective NHLer?", nothing else.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't know if I'd say Zadorov is that close to being NHL ready.

He only saw a little bit of PK time this season. I don't think Hunter could trust him because of the questionable decisions he made with and without the puck in his own end.

Physically he's ready, but I think I would rather him learn the intricacies of playing defense in the OHL for at least another season or two.
It's definitely a fined edge sword with him. He definitely has things to work on. He also is bigger and stronger than anybody down there so will it help his development playing in a league he could physically dominate? Will he really be able to fine tune his pivots and agility when he can just push off opposing forwards with ease? Will he work on his position and angles when he can just impose his size and be effective?

It's tough to figure out what would be best for his development

Old
05-02-2013, 04:29 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
It's definitely a fined edge sword with him. He definitely has things to work on. He also is bigger and stronger than anybody down there so will it help his development playing in a league he could physically dominate? Will he really be able to fine tune his pivots and agility when he can just push off opposing forwards with ease? Will he work on his position and angles when he can just impose his size and be effective?

It's tough to figure out what would be best for his development
Yeah, that's a good point.

He's a guy who would benefit from an exception(if it existed) to the CHL/AHL agreement, I think.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
190 is a bit small, but I'm sure he'll grow into it a bit.
The draft darling of our forum Lazar is listed as 6', 198. Too small?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:07 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Does anyone else think we should take Nichushkin if he is there at 7? He's a big kid, which is what we are looking for. (Listed at 6"4, 205) If we were to draft him we could make some deals like this.

To Edmonton:
Sean Couturier/Brayden Schenn
Zac Rinaldo
3rd round pick

To Flyers:
Jordan Eberle
N Schultz

To Coyotes:
Sam Gagner
Ales Hemsky
2014 1st round pick

To Edmonton:
Keith Yandle

Oilers sign in the offseason:
Horton
Fisher
Jones
Hainsey

Buyout:
Horcoff
Smyth

Future Oilers:

Hall-RNH-Nichushkin
Horton-Fisher-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Couturier/Schenn-Paajarvi
Brown-Rinaldo-Jones

Yandle-Petry
Schultz-Smid
Klefbom-Hainsey
Fistric

I'm dreaming I know

Old
05-02-2013, 05:26 PM
FunkyChicken

We're playing with fire by expecting a 7th pick to jump in and immediately contribute this year or even next which is why I don't have a problem selecting Nichuskin high (provided he's coming to the NHL in two years). Get me the player who's going to be best in five years, it's the GMs and pro-scouts to properly fill in the gaps until they are ready.

My list is:
1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Barkov
4. Drouin (too talented to drop further)
5. Nichuskin
6. Monahan
7. Lindholm/Nurse

Against trading down during the draft. Seems to me that anyone who trades down for multiple draft picks gets the shaft end of the deal, but maybe I'm still Parise - Pouliot bent. Anyone have a recent history of trading down for multiple picks as to who made out with the best player?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
To Edmonton:
Sean Couturier/Brayden Schenn
Zac Rinaldo
3rd round pick

To Flyers:
Jordan Eberle
N Schultz

I'm dreaming I know
Yes you are dreaming. The flyers are already in cap trouble. And you think they're going to add $9.5 million in player salary from the Oilers?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
dnicks17

I'm not really a fan of Nichushkin, but it would be nice to know what his situation actually is.

His contract was bought by Dynamo Moscow, that we know, but now I've heard:
1) he has no intention to play there and will come to NA next season
2) will play there, but has an outclause after one season
3) has no outclause and will have to play two seasons before coming to NA

Old
05-02-2013, 05:45 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

What's the consensus on this year's Dmen? Outside of Jones, none of them seem all that exciting...especially compared to last year's crop. Don't think they'd do well if you ranked them together, but maybe that's just me. :/

Really starting to hope one of the centers fall to us or we trade up.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Would I be insane to consider Ristolainen at 7 if the centers are gone?

Old
05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Would I be insane to consider Ristolainen at 7 if the centers are gone?
Not insane per se, but if all the centres are gone you take Nurse ahead of Ristolainen.

However, I seriously doubt all of Mackinnon, Lindholm, Barkov and Monahan are gone in the first six picks with guys like Jones, Nichushkin, Nurse and Drouin also up for grabs, so we will have at least one of the centres listed above to choose from should we remain at #7.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm not really a fan of Nichushkin, but it would be nice to know what his situation actually is.

His contract was bought by Dynamo Moscow, that we know, but now I've heard:
1) he has no intention to play there and will come to NA next season
2) will play there, but has an outclause after one season
3) has no outclause and will have to play two seasons before coming to NA
None of those scenarios should discourage a team from taking him. I don't think anyone we nab @ 7th should or will be NHL ready for the role we would require of them with the exception of maybe Lindholm. We need a big vet winger in our top 6 for right now. In 2 years, and with some playoff experience, guys like Hall, Ebs, Gagner will be vets, which would be the perfect time to insert a guy like Nichushkin.

I'd be happy with any one of Nichushkin/Monohan/Lindholm, and one of them will be available when we pick. IF MacT trades it in a deal that both helps right now AND makes sense for the future, I'm fine with that too. But if he trades the pick in a deal that isn't the upgrade we need, just for the sake of saving face because he said he would be "impatient" then I will be very disappointed.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Trade it for Couturier and call it a day.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
What's the consensus on this year's Dmen? Outside of Jones, none of them seem all that exciting...especially compared to last year's crop. Don't think they'd do well if you ranked them together, but maybe that's just me. :/

Really starting to hope one of the centers fall to us or we trade up.
I like Nurse and Ristolainen more than Reinhart and Dumba. Maybe put them in the same league as Trouba. I'd put Reilly in a league of his own. I feel like he'll be better than this whole list, or the worst of them (if that makes any sense). I'm going to leave Rielly off of this list because of what I said, and Hampus Lindholm because I know little about him. Here's how I'd rank the potential of the last two years for D-men

Jones
Murray
Trouba
Ristolainen
Nurse
Reinhart
Zadorov
Pouliot
Dumba

edit: In what I said about Rielly, I don't think he'll be better than Jones, I just better than the five I mentioned before him, if he reaches his potential.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:42 PM
ruok

I honestly think trading down could be a good thing, if we trade the 7th, Hemsky, and Pitlick to Phoenix for the 12th and Samuelsson then you could draft Lazar

Closed Thread