HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Edmonton needs defense first and foremost IIRC.
My impression of Edmonton is that they like their current d prospects alot and dont consider it to be the black hole many think it is and that the lack of grit at the top of their lineup is a bit of a problem. I could definitely see them going for a great two way center with great leadership qualities this year.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I can't believe some of you still want D. We have too many as it is now. Plus we have top pairing potential D.

We need centers all day long.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I can't believe some of you still want D. We have too many as it is now. Plus we have top pairing potential D.

We need centers all day long.
If it comes down to pick 10 and your options are BPA being a defender or trading down/reaching for a center you take the defender. Worst case you trade from your plethora of defenders to address center.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Edmonton needs defense first and foremost IIRC.
In their current lineup? Yes. In their prospect pool? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
My impression of Edmonton is that they like their current d prospects alot and dont consider it to be the black hole many think it is and that the lack of grit at the top of their lineup is a bit of a problem. I could definitely see them going for a great two way center with great leadership qualities this year.
This.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Carolina and Edmonton are going to dictate how this draft goes. If Carolina takes a defenseman then there's a chance one of the centers falls. If Calgary takes Monahan over Lindholm Edmonton may move back or take another defenseman.

Unlike last year I don't see a ton of surprises in the top ten. This is a fairly straight forward tiered draft where I think teams will stick to a consensus rather than go completely off the rails, at least in the top ten. Before it comes to all that though I hope Dallas does it's best to work out a deal to move up and ensure themselves the center they need who for the first time in a while also happens to be BPA.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
txomisc

I dunno, didnt it feel like there were tiers last year too? Pouliot and Lindholm were the rising surprises and neither were terribly shocking. Id say they are similar quality prospects to Pulock, Ristolainan and Nurse.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
I dunno, didnt it feel like there were tiers last year too? Pouliot and Lindholm were the rising surprises and neither were terribly shocking. Id say they are similar quality prospects to Pulock, Ristolainan and Nurse.
I think the difference is you've heard those names in the top ten this year. Guys going defense isn't a surprise. Guys going lesser known forwards would be, at least to me.

I really hope Calgary takes Monahan and Edmonton decides to go defenseman as a result. Then you've got to hope Buffalo and NJ take Nich and Shinkaruk instead of the Swede. That's way too many ifs for my taste. Better to move up and be proactive than wait and hope things far your way.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Of course this is no guarantee of what Nill will do, but the Red Wings have no recent history of moving up in the draft. Indeed, they have a strong demonstrated preference for moving down and acquiring more picks. They traded out of the 1st round in 2006, 2009, and 2011, acquiring either 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd and 3rd rounder in the process. Now such a move would make no sense in the Stars' current situation, but that's the kind of climate Nill is coming from.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

At the same time, in Heika's recent chat he mentioned hearing from the Stars organization what we've all said for a while:

Quote:
One of the things we've talked about here, and that I've also heard from Stars big-wigs is they have a lot of good players, but that they need great ones.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...-yours-now.ece

That kind of mentality would support moving up in the draft.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Of course this is no guarantee of what Nill will do, but the Red Wings have no recent history of moving up in the draft. Indeed, they have a strong demonstrated preference for moving down and acquiring more picks. They traded out of the 1st round in 2006, 2009, and 2011, acquiring either 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd and 3rd rounder in the process. Now such a move would make no sense in the Stars' current situation, but that's the kind of climate Nill is coming from.
Yeah but there's real value in moving into the top of the 2nd round from where he was drafting. This is a whole new territory for him. You really can't compare the two situations. Especially when he's on record saying you build from center, defense, goalie on out and Dallas is thin at center.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
At the same time, in Heika's recent chat he mentioned hearing from the Stars organization what we've all said for a while:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...-yours-now.ece

That kind of mentality would support moving up in the draft.
That's what I want to hear from this group. Good is nice and you've got to have it but at this 10 spot you've got to move up to get great and it seems they're very open to doing so. Yay, you've made my day with this link.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
SolidusAKA

Depending where MTL falls, would anyone be willing to go with trading our first for MTL's 1st and 2 2nds. If Boston gets to ECF we would have

MTL 25-30 (?)
BOS 27-30
MTL 34
MTL 36
DAL 40
VAN (?)

These kinds of ideas make me believe I shouldnt be a GM

Not sure, but we could end up with a group of guys comprised of something like Erne, Bowey, Dano, De la Rose, Petan, Bjorkstrand, Heatherington... maybe even guys like Mantha or Gauthier could fall

Last edited by SolidusAKA: 05-02-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old
05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
Depending where MTL falls, would anyone be willing to go with trading our first for MTL's 1st and 2 2nds. If Boston gets to ECF we would have

MTL 25-30 (?)
BOS 27-30
MTL 34
MTL 36
DAL 40
VAN (?)

I dont think it would be worth it. We really need high end talent more than we need depth of talent right now. Also we already have a ton of picks in this draft and theres only so much room for contracts. I dont know what number they are at now, but having to sign all these guys could be an issue.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post

MTL 25-30 (?)
BOS 27-30
MTL 34
MTL 36
DAL 40
VAN (?)

Well it is a deep draft so they could get away with it, but I think the Stars pick is already too "high" to pull that off. Maybe if they were picking 19th or something, but you don't trade a top ten pick and drop that far, with all the names on the board still at that point.

05-02-2013, 06:59 PM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
I dont think it would be worth it. We really need high end talent more than we need depth of talent right now. Also we already have a ton of picks in this draft and theres only so much room for contracts. I dont know what number they are at now, but having to sign all these guys could be an issue.
Good point on the contracts. Maybe I'm too much of a depth guy. We have had a lot of luck with early round second picks, too. Could you imagine having five 24-40 picks and, count'em TWO, 5th rounders? Dynasty

Old
05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
SolidusAKA

Pick one for each

MTL 25-30 - Theodore, Gautheir, Erne
BOS 27-30 - Erne, Hartman, Compher
MTL 34 - Bowey, De la Rose
MTL 36 - Bowey, De la Rose
DAL 40 - Petan, Bjorkstrand
VAN (?) - Dano, Heatherington
EDM 68 - Baptiste

I dont care who gets Seth Jones, we would single handedly win that draft...of course this is all ******** and wont happen

Old
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Erne is the dream pick with that Boston pick... If they make it.

Can play center or wing.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I know he didn't have the best season (partially due to injuries/illness) but I wonder if Edmonton would have any interest in Faksa as part of a trade to swap 1st rounders. He sounds like he could fit what they're looking for in a center and the move back to 10 isn't very far if they like him.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I know he didn't have the best season (partially due to injuries/illness) but I wonder if Edmonton would have any interest in Faksa as part of a trade to swap 1st rounders. He sounds like he could fit what they're looking for in a center and the move back to 10 isn't very far if they like him.
i'm not a fan of selling low

Old
05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
tjcurrie

I think once you're out of the top 4 or 5, it's kind of a crap shoot. Depending on what it would cost us, I'd really only be interested in moving in to that top 4 or so. I really like Fredrik Gauthier out of Rimouski. As txomisc has stated - it would be a reach to take him at #10 - but I think he's a great backup plan if the higher ranked ones are gone. Nothing says he can't be just as good as those guys taken in the 5-9 slot. I just think once you're in that range there's not a big difference and it comes down to a combination of luck, knowing the player, and your own ability to develop that player.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:47 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
I could see that. The glaring need in Edmonton is a big body up front. Their top 2 centers are Hopkins and Gagner with Horcoff bringing up the 3rd.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i'm not a fan of selling low
He didn't have a terrible season, more unlucky with health than anything. It's not selling low if you're fine losing the piece and the other team is willing to overlook the negatives.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:01 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I think once you're out of the top 4 or 5, it's kind of a crap shoot. Depending on what it would cost us, I'd really only be interested in moving in to that top 4 or so. I really like Fredrik Gauthier out of Rimouski. As txomisc has stated - it would be a reach to take him at #10 - but I think he's a great backup plan if the higher ranked ones are gone. Nothing says he can't be just as good as those guys taken in the 5-9 slot. I just think once you're in that range there's not a big difference and it comes down to a combination of luck, knowing the player, and your own ability to develop that player.
Yeah and I only think he'd be a reach because this draft is so quality. My gut actually tells me that Gauthier will be a slightly better NHL player than Faksa but I really want the homerun this year.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:29 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
He didn't have a terrible season, more unlucky with health than anything. It's not selling low if you're fine losing the piece and the other team is willing to overlook the negatives.
i see what you're saying, but it's less likely that multiple teams would overlook those negatives, and if you lock in to just trading him to edm, and not putting feelers out across the whole league, you're doing exactly what we blasted gmjm 1.0 for doing with j neal.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i see what you're saying, but it's less likely that multiple teams would overlook those negatives, and if you lock in to just trading him to edm, and not putting feelers out across the whole league, you're doing exactly what we blasted gmjm 1.0 for doing with j neal.
I don't see them as the same. Neal was an established NHL player and Faksa is a prospect. Comparing that trade to a possible move up in the draft isn't fair, they are two entirely different scenarios. Are you suggesting that if Faksa is available that we should find out what every team is willing to offer without regard to the draft? If what management wants is a player in this draft who can be had at 7 but can't get up to 6, 5, 4, etc. with Faksa then it's a good trade.

For the record, I'm not necessarily advocating this trade I'm just wondering what his possible value might be.

Closed Thread