HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting for a playoff spot, again !!

Old
09-17-2006, 08:30 PM
clvmcs

vCash: 500
Fighting for a playoff spot, again !!

If this team don't go out and sign or trade for a d-man, sorry guys, I think we well be struggling to make the playoff's this year, unless we score lots of goals. Will we ever be an elite team again ??

clvmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvmcs View Post
If this team don't go out and sign or trade for a d-man, sorry guys, I think we well be struggling to make the playoff's this year, unless we score lots of goals. Will we ever be an elite team again ??

With a healthy Koivu, we are an elite team!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
The Habs could possible be a home ice team this season with this current roster... barring any major injuries.

Sure it would be nice to have another big name defenceman.
But Markov should be better as well as Dandy and Komisarek should all improve.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
aha!

clvmcs is back. The season must be approaching.

And I'm glad you said this because the opposite always happens

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:59 PM
znk

well...if it's anything like last year....half the conference will be fighting for spots 5-6-7-8.
So this is no news to me.

But man. It must seriously suck being you. Are you ever happy about anything?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Mike8

I don't see why you guys are so negative about his post. He stated, quite aptly, that unless this team scores a lot of goals, they will struggle to make the playoffs. This is indeed a fact. And the same goes for every other team.

Good call, clvmcs.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Captain Saku

I think Souray will have a way better season than last one especially that he's a UFA at the end of the season !

Dandy didn't have a big season last year, he's expected to bounce back this season... if he's gonna plahy the way he did during last year's playoffs it's gonna be a promising year for him !

Markov is always on the rise and will keep improving year after year, he will prove that he's one of the best defencemen in the league !

Komisarek is gaining more confidence, it's gonna be HIS season... I expect him to a huge season, he did pretty well during last year's playoffs !

My biggest concerns are Rivet and Bouillon... We don't know what kind of season Rivet will have, I really hope he's gonna have a big year the way he did last season. As for Bouillon well I dunno if he's going to be the same after he comes back !

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:14 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't see why you guys are so negative about his post. He stated, quite aptly, that unless this team scores a lot of goals, they will struggle to make the playoffs. This is indeed a fact. And the same goes for every other team.

Good call, clvmcs.
If Huet has a .930 + save percentage we wont need "lots" of goals. We arent stuck with Theo this year.

Old
09-17-2006, 09:28 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If Huet has a .930 + save percentage we wont need "lots" of goals. We arent stuck with Theo this year.
and if Huet fails, we have Aebischer..
We're set in goal for a very good regular season. We'll get home ice and finish second in the division to Ottawa.

Buffalo wont make the playoffs.
Trashers will.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:30 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I agree. We need another top 2 defenseman to move the puck very badly.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 09-17-2006 at 09:37 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:39 PM
J-D

Although it is hard to be more pessimistic than clvmcs, I think, too, that the Habs will be fighting for a playoff spot, or at least will not clinch a spot before april.

IMO, since the Habs are going to play 8 games against each teams of the toughest division.

The Bruins have improved, and although I don't see them making it into post-season, I feel they will be fighting for a spot until the end.

The Maple Leafs got rid of Belfour, their defence improved a bit (Kubina in Klee out; Khavanov out), and if Sundin stays healthy (last year was a funk starting with the puck on his face), the Leafs will make it back into post-season.

The Sabres probably won't win as many games compared to last year, but they are still a force with many players that fit like a glove in the new NHL.

The Senators lost Chara and Havlat, but the latter played less than 20 games last year, while the former is replaced by Tom Preissing, who isn't half-bad. Not the same kind, and certainly not Norris-caliber, but the power play won't suffer at all with Redden and Preissing on the blueline (plus they got rid of terrible Pothier).

Meanwhile, the Habs didn't do too much in the way of roster shuffling, which might be good for chemistry, but I wouldn't look at a President's Trophy that's for sure. Of course, a healthy Koivu would help the Habs have a strong season, but banking on a season-long healthy Koivu (and half of the team anyways) isn't exactly a sure bet.

The Habs have a good team, but the fact that they are going to play against tough opponents for more than 1/3 of the season is slating the Habs between 6th and 9th in the East, in my humble opinion.

One thing is for sure, though, we will hear alot of Houle saying "Ma Parole! Quelle partie!". The team will be very exciting to watch.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I agree. We need another top 2 defenseman to move the puck very badly.
I am not so sure about that man.
If the Habs top 7 defenseman play as they did at their peaks last season they should be fine.
Bouillion can move the puck so can Striet.
Rivet Souray and Komisarek not so much we all know about Markov and we all saw how Dandy played in the post season!

I know it is a lot to ask for for them to play that well all season but it could happen.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
The Maple Leafs got rid of Belfour, their defence improved a bit (Kubina in Klee out; Khavanov out), and if Sundin stays healthy (last year was a funk starting with the puck on his face), the Leafs will make it back into post-season.
I have the Leafs as last in the Northeast, despite my taste in teams.

There are simply too many "What If" 's with us.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
goalchenyuk

first , i think that we are going to score a lot of goals , second , don't forget that last year , we lost a lot of games simply because of the bad play of Theodore .

We have a better team right now , because of Samsonov and Johnson , our youngsters have one season under their belt , and there i would say that more players are dedicated to the team ; just look how a lot of players worked on their skating or-and on their muscular mass , this summer .

I agree that the famous dman #1-2 would be an incredible addition to the Habs , but we will have a good season with or without him .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Stradale

Seriously, which team in the East Conference is already sure of having a playoff spot?

It will be a very tight season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:06 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Seriously, which team in the East Conference is already sure of having a playoff spot?

The Ottawa Senators, the New Jersey Devils and the Tampa Bay Lightning, who will finish 1st in their respective divisions.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Drunk World Order

With the salary cap...theres more of a even playing field...there will be alot of teams fighting for a playoff spot...thats why the new NHL is great ...we won't be able to see what the canadiens are capable off until at least 20 games past...but I am confident that we will be in the playoffs

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:24 PM
mt_mtl

Oh! Forgot to tell you guys...I have this ball...its made of crystal, and well, it's kind of magic. It has a "gift" of being able to predict the future. So last night, I decided to try it out again, and it a question that we all want to know....

Lets just say I'm going to save a lot of money by switching to Geico!

mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post

Us !

did i get the good answer ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's only a rumor at this point but I heard if we don't win games we won't make the playoffs.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 12:09 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's only a rumor at this point but I heard if we don't win games we won't make the playoffs.
I'm not sure this is in the new CBA.

Old
09-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Nobak

Quote:

Good call, clvmcs.
What, so we should be tripping all over ourselves to congratulate Captain Obvious?

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 12:31 AM
#44_delivers

the critism of us fighting for the last playoff spot is a realistic acusation becuase we do need a real 2nd line centre and a true top 2 defencemen, but i for one think we'll be the surprise team this year and easily make it to the post season.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 12:51 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I am not so sure about that man.
If the Habs top 7 defenseman play as they did at their peaks last season they should be fine.
Bouillion can move the puck so can Striet.
Rivet Souray and Komisarek not so much we all know about Markov and we all saw how Dandy played in the post season!

I know it is a lot to ask for for them to play that well all season but it could happen.
Yeah, that might get us to the playoffs, but not to a Cup. Our transition game needs a bit of help.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 01:04 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Good call, clvmcs.

wait until the habs first slump of the year and clvms has his first of many panic attacks and a garaunteed projection to miss the playoffs 15 games into the season

have a look at his previous posts. He's a little whacky.

Last edited by Hackett: 09-18-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote