HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Old
05-01-2013, 05:59 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Do not know why... but keep feeling that Thomas Hickey becomes an important part of this series.
I hope you're right. Personally I think he could get man handled in this series if he goes up against some of their big forwards.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:16 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

i jumped on your bandwagon and brought this for motivation go isles!

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:43 AM
SwissLeaf

Good luck tonight (and the whole series)!

Obviously I will keep an eye on this series as well, as your captain is Swiss.
I hope Streit will be playing well. El Nino hasn't been called up, am I right?

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
rockfish12

Hey guys, Pens fan here. Wanted to drop by and wish you guys luck tonight. Not gonna lie, I am kind of nervous for tonight. After the series w/Philadelphia last year idk what Pens team will show up. And quite honestly I'm tired of people picking the pens to role through you guys and the playoffs. Should be a fun series, kind of hope Tavares and Crosby go back and forth kind of like Sid and Ovie did a few years ago. Good luck and enjoy the playoffs guys.

Lastly, avoid our board during these games, some of the people that post on there are the worst, and do not represent all of us Pens fans. A lot of clowns over there.

Take care!

rockfish12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:54 AM
bigd

We can only hope that Crosby is not ready to play. Taking the best player in the world out of your lineup will help. We will only have to worry about the 2nd and 3rd best players in the world. LOL

Old
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissLeaf View Post
Good luck tonight (and the whole series)!

Obviously I will keep an eye on this series as well, as your captain is Swiss.
I hope Streit will be playing well. El Nino hasn't been called up, am I right?
Nope Nino is going to the World Championship to play for Team Switzerland

SCBdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:17 AM
SwissLeaf

Thank you.. Ooh, the world championship is around the corner. Almost forgot that!

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:08 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

Hey, thanks a lot for posting that! One of the all-time great moments at the NVMC.

It's funny you posted that right after a discussion of Hickey maybe playing an important role in this series. Mike McEwen was on D on that Isles' team, and he had a similar build and skillset as Hickey (Hickey may end up being a better all-around player though). When the Isles were losing 3-1 late in the 3rd period of that game, McEwen scored a goal to get them within 1 and set up the very late tying goal. Then in the clip you posted it was McEwen who made the block on a dangerous PIT scoring chance and then made the great pass to Tonelli to start the sequence for the winning goal. I've always considered McEwen the unknown Islander that saved the dynasty.

Karma?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
VT Isles Fan

Having a really hard time concentrating at work today...really excited about tonight.

Not saying we're going to win or lose, my only hope is for a really good game and that we give it all we've got. Would be great to come away with a win tonight and really amp up the pressure on the Penguins.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

Great overtime win that was, but that series never had any business going to a 5th and final game. The Islanders annihilated the Pens in the first two games of that series and then let them back in it by going into a funk (one loss in OT though) in Pittsburgh.

That series is more memorable for us for being the "wake up call" when we almost lost the Cup run since we were down 3-1 in the 3rd period at one point. And then of course we went on to clobber the Rangers, Nords, and Canucks so it gets easily forgotten sometimes.

If anything this upcoming series will be (hopefully) closer to '75 or '93.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Great overtime win that was, but that series never had any business going to a 5th and final game. The Islanders annihilated the Pens in the first two games of that series and then let them back in it by going into a funk (one loss in OT though) in Pittsburgh.

That series is more memorable for us for being the "wake up call" when we almost lost the Cup run since we were down 3-1 in the 3rd period at one point. And then of course we went on to clobber the Rangers, Nords, and Canucks so it gets easily forgotten sometimes.

If anything this upcoming series will be (hopefully) closer to '75 or '93.
ill take a win in this series in any fashion....i dont care which of our 3 previous series wins it resembles

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:02 AM
bigd

Cindy Crosby not playing tonight. I guess we will face their tough line up tonight.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

General series discussion not specific to a game.

05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Hershey Hockey

I've held the (I think unpopular) opinion for most of this season that the Islanders should not resign Mark Streit. I think by the end of this series, no matter what happens, that opinion will be even more solidified. Yesterday proved to me there is no next-level to his game. Lackadaisical puck movement and no urgency. I'm not at all saying he's the scapegoat. The whole team sucked. But as team captain, what kind of example does that set?

I know everyone says leadership isn't necessarily defined by the letter on the jersey, but I think the day John Tavares is named captain of this team will be a defining day in the process of this team becoming a true perennial contender.

I think this series will provide a clear look at who are and are not the leaders on this team. Streit has done everything to prove he is not a leader. I think this series will perpetuate that. Tavares showed some emotion in game one, but not much else. I fully expect him to step up and provide a spark for this team, but for that to happen Capuano needs to sack up and break up his line.

Whether this is the only series we play in the playoffs this year or not, I hope Garth Snow uses what happens in this postseason as a guide for what he needs to do to build for the future. I think we will see more of the same. Guys like Streit and Boyes do not belong in the future of this team. Moulson should only be kept around long enough for his replacement to be found. But I also think there will be some surprises. Guys like Bailey, Cizikas, and maybe even a wild card like Aucoin will step up and prove their worth.

Bottom line, even if we get our ***** kicked in four games, we needed this. The rebuild ended with the playoffs becoming a reality. Now it's time to take the next step from becoming a fringe team making it in as the 8-seed to playing full and complete successful season and being a top-seeded, serious contender.

Last edited by Hershey Hockey: 05-03-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot some words
Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:43 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
I've held the (I think unpopular) opinion for most of this season that the Islanders should not resign Mark Streit. I think by the end of this series, no matter what happens, that opinion will be even more solidified. Yesterday proved to me there is no next-level to his game. Lackadaisical puck movement and no urgency. I'm not at all saying he's the scapegoat. The whole team sucked. But as team captain, what kind of example does that set?

I know everyone says leadership isn't necessarily defined by the letter on the jersey, but I think the day John Tavares is named captain of this team will be defining day in the process of this team becoming a true perennial contender.

I think this series will provide a clear look at who are and are not the leaders on this team. Streit has done everything to prove he is not a leader. I think this series will perpetuate that. Tavares showed some emotion in game one, but not much else. I fully expect him to step up and provide a spark for this team, but for that to happen Capuano needs to sack up and break up his line.

Whether this is the only series we play in the playoffs this year or not, I hope Garth Snow uses what happens in this postseason as a guide for what he needs to do to build for the future. I think we will see more of the same. Guys like Streit and Boyes do not belong in the future of this team. Moulson should only be kept around long enough for his replacement to be found. But I think there will be some surprises. Guys like Bailey, Cizikas, and maybe even a wild card like Aucoin will step up and prove their worth.

Bottom line, even if we get our ***** kicked in four games, we needed this. The rebuild ended with the playoffs becoming a reality. Now it's time to take the next step from becoming a fringe team making it in as the 8-seed to playing full and complete successful season and being a top-seeded, serious contender.
Fully agreed, though we need Wang to bankroll the acquisition of more horses under the hood.

Huge necessity.

88th Precinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post

I know everyone says leadership isn't necessarily defined by the letter on the jersey, but I think the day John Tavares is named captain of this team will be defining day in the process of this team becoming a true perennial contender.

Whether this is the only series we play in the playoffs this year or not, I hope Garth Snow uses what happens in this postseason as a guide for what he needs to do to build for the future. I think we will see more of the same. Guys like Streit and Boyes do not belong in the future of this team. Moulson should only be kept around long enough for his replacement to be found. But I think there will be some surprises. Guys like Bailey, Cizikas, and maybe even a wild card like Aucoin will step up and prove their worth.

Marcel Dionne led his Kings. Mario led his Pens in the 1980's.

As said right above.....no support from the top, the rain will eat away at the foundation and it will all go to pot. We need a GM to show up this summer.

Hey! Get a real coach, too.

And a top line winger.

And some pretzels.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Bump. Use for Game 5 pre-game discussion

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I am really impressed with you guys. I love the never give up mentality.

I want you to win the series so badly. Nothing would make me happier than seeing a team that has to find ways to reach the cap floor beat a team that is trying to buy a cup!

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Hipietro

Any word on the start time of game 6?

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:02 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Any word on the start time of game 6?
Just taking a wild guess it will be the NBC game so it starts at 12PM

Any word on Andy McDonald? He didn't play after his penalty/he left injured and TSN made absolutely no mention he was gone

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
islesmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Just taking a wild guess it will be the NBC game so it starts at 12PM

Any word on Andy McDonald? He didn't play after his penalty/he left injured and TSN made absolutely no mention he was gone
NBC has the players championship on at 2:00 so hopefully it will be Saturday night.

islesmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a while and this playoff run has forced me to make an account. I look forward to posting with you all and GO ISLES!!!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
smheilbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesmb View Post
NBC has the players championship on at 2:00 so hopefully it will be Saturday night.
hopefully! if not then my buddy cant come.

smheilbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Nothing would make me happier than seeing a team that has to find ways to reach the cap floor beat a team that is trying to buy a cup!
That is a fantastic sentence. Well done.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
ichabod13

i dont give a **** if they win pretty or if the win ugly ( like tonight ) ......just as long as they win bubba, im happy!!!!!!!!!!

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote