The Sens got to where they are with all their injuries because they rarely make mistakes. Which means you have to be just about letter perfect when you play against them. Two things did us in:
1) Failing to capitalize on the 5-on-3. Going up by 2 at that stage would have been huge. You can't waste a minute-plus 5-on-3 in the playoffs and not have it come back to bite you.
2) Price on the 2nd and 4th goals, and Gorges/Bourque on the 3rd goal. You can't give up bad goals, and you can't turn the puck over in your own zone.
Also the team as a whole lacked urgency when they needed it most. We've had trouble giving consistent 60 minute efforts all season and we needed our 3rd period to be our best period tonight, and it wasn't. Price, Desharnais, Ryder, Gionta, Prust, Gorges and Diaz all need to be much, much better.
And that game right there is why Bergevin did not ''go for it''.
Team is still very far from being a playoff contender. What a pathetic 3rd period after no killer instinct on that 5 on 3, with Price at the top of the list to blame.
agreed. team not built for playoff goals. Desharnais, Gionta, ...struggle in N/S game...Eller gets injured and our Size at center evaporates. (save for youngest center in NHL)
no size outside a raw rookie on D...
things have to improve
1) Eller better be okay or his absence could have a similar effect to Emelin's
3) our defense is soffffttt. Diaz and Gorges were particularly bad today.
4) Desharnais, Ryder, Gionta WAKE UP!!!
Good thing I'm not a player. My stick would have automatically become a weapon after that Eller hit. My anger issues are one of the reasons I didn't pursue hockey as a career. The other reason being I can't skate worth ****