HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maloney comments on RFA

Old
09-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Maloney comments on RFA

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

In the case of Nikoli Zherdev, the Blue Jackets' 21-year-old forward who has asked for a trade after the team pulled a three-year, $6.9 million offer, Maloney explained why the Rangers wouldn't use an offer sheet to force the Blue Jackets' hand.
"The player's agent loves it. Columbus has plenty of cap room," he said. "And realistically you (the Rangers) only have some much room. You can't pay Zherdev $6 million a year either. So it doesn't make sense, but it's something we're always looking at." Rumors abound that Columbus may have asked for G Al Montoya and a prospect or a pick for Zherdev, but Maloney wouldn't discuss individual players or potential deals.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Edge

Interesting.

I'm wondering if this is really about money or if he just does not want to play in Columbus.

The Rangers don't really have $6-million to give him right now.

Though I can't help but feel this kid, under Renney and on a team with players who have "been there", would really THRIVE in NY.

Though this deal is also a reason why leaving cap room and not signing a bunch of garbage is going to be key for all teams in the new NHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
DontStaal

if we somehow get Zherdev.. i will be a happy man.

I agree with u edge, a kid like that can thrive under Renney's system.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:13 AM
GarretJoseph*

i dont think hes worth Montoya.

Just because we have King Henrik doesn't mean we need to go trade Montoya for every decent/good player on the market.

Let Montoya stay in our system and if we ever make a serious run at the CUP again in the next 3 years, we could use Montoya for that last player we might need to help us win the cup.. (IE - Amonte for Noonan & Matteau)

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 05:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Personally I think that we should

at the very lease explore our options in regards to trading him.

Zherdev is the exact type of top line prospect this teams needs and I still consider him a prospect even after his 2nd year in the league. A year that saw his goal scoring stat jump from 13 to 27.

The kid has talent and is versatile enough to play both wings. I think it's a deal that I would do, but that also depends on the pick they want as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Interesting.

I'm wondering if this is really about money or if he just does not want to play in Columbus.

The Rangers don't really have $6-million to give him right now.

Though I can't help but feel this kid, under Renney and on a team with players who have "been there", would really THRIVE in NY.

Though this deal is also a reason why leaving cap room and not signing a bunch of garbage is going to be key for all teams in the new NHL.
Would you want to play for the Columbus Blue Jackets?????

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
I would love to. Have you ever seen their facilities?

Erik Johnson told me earlier in the year the two places he'd love to play in would be Columbus or Edmonton.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
All kidding aside I've always found it to be a very nice city with a wonderful new facility that is very retro feeling.

When you work within the industry you develop favorite places and least favorite places and Columbus was a stop I always liked.

Believe it or not that there "hockey" cities that I absolutely can't stand, but I don't feel like getting into debates with people from those cities so I won't name them.

Old
09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I meant for the team, I didn't mean to dis the city. hahaha

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I would love to. Have you ever seen their facilities?

Erik Johnson told me earlier in the year the two places he'd love to play in would be Columbus or Edmonton.
and he ends up in St. Louis...

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
I dunno they might have something in a few years.

They've got an exciting young nuclues of talent.

Old
09-18-2006, 07:30 PM
BigE

Quote:
This is my gut as well.

A young, skilled and impressionable mind coming into a new, positive environment where he's going to be surrounded by many of his european peers is quite intriguing. New York would allow Zherdev to lose the pressure of having to be the go to guy (which he was for many parts of the season last year when Nash was out); and it also gives him the opportunity to learn at the proper pace.

If you're a young player in the league right now, the Rangers are the team to play for: success is rewarded, leadership is abundent, and experience at every position (nearly) is most certainly there.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
i agree with everyone on being hesitant to trade montoya but dont u think that at some point a deal HAS to be done unless they like better than Lundqvuist? My point is that we have to get as much as possible from this situation.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
All kidding aside I've always found it to be a very nice city with a wonderful new facility that is very retro feeling.

When you work within the industry you develop favorite places and least favorite places and Columbus was a stop I always liked.

Believe it or not that there "hockey" cities that I absolutely can't stand, but I don't feel like getting into debates with people from those cities so I won't name them.
Not to offend but Columbus (been to many clipper games) is so nice it doesn't belong in Ohio. Very small town feel in a bigger city than most people think...plus it's the home town to Alex P Keaton so you know it's all good..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
BigE

It's a balancing act, really.

The foremost concern, obviously, is guarding against prematurely shipping him out. You want to be sure that you're keeping the best goaltender.

You also want to be sure that you're not jumping the gun and shipping him out before he realizes his peak value (to be distinguished greatly from peak ability).

Another thing to consider, and many fans often omit or outright forget this little piece: timing. The value of any asset often depends on the time of year. You needn't look any further than San Jose dealing Kipper for a 2nd, or Buffalo dealing Noronen for the same. Both could have likely fetched more had they been exposed to the market at the right time (both seasonly and when their peak value was at it's highest, i.e., 6-18 months earlier in both cases).

The value of a goaltender with potential can always decrease if GMs feel that the goalie in question has lost development time (as Noronen did, and the case could be made for the Kipper deal as well).

I'd like to see him go, but I'm not sure he's reached his peak value yet. I'm also not sure whether the price is right just yet. Certainly if Monty can bring us Zherdev I'm all over it.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 08:37 PM
robertch

If it's going to take Montoya and a 1st rounder for Zherdev I'd do it, and I think this would certainly be fair value given what the market has been lately, but the problem remains: does Columbus want a goalie in return? I must admit, it looks like they could use a solid young dman more than a top goalie prospect right now.

robertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

One of the big mistakes I see when people try to size up possible trades is that they are tied to the original draft poisition of the player (i.e. Jessiman was a 1st so if we traded him and a 1st for Zhredev that would be two 1sts) What is important is how the player is developing and playing now. The draft position might represent some upside, but if past drafts were to be redone today Jessiman would not be a first, Dubinsky wouldn't have been a second and Dawes wouldn't have been a 5th. The players value is deteremined by what scouts think today and not their draft position. The Rangers appear to have some young players well ahead of their draft positions and others not doing quite as well. That's normal and probably to be expected in a sport where players are drafted so young. It also points to the possibility that some players with high draft positions might be traded before their value is completely gone.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 06:53 AM
shoothepuck

From Maloney's comments, this deal won't get done, but it would be interesting to see where this kid ends up. Does make sense in the new NHL to keep cap room.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Still doesn't make any sense...it'll be one of the top destinations in the NHL soon enough.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Millions Livio

This deal will not happen at all, at least for Montoya. Unless the deal has a third party (as said over at the Jackets folder) in which we'd ship off Montoya in a trade, we wouldn't do the deal. We have Leclaire as our start, and three goalies in the preseason pretty much fighting for the backup role. We have the most depth in goal we ever have and we do not need another goalie. Also I don't think Zherdev will be in a trade, Doug has already said he's not really interested in doing that unless the deal is so good he cannot pass it up. We have Zherdev for four more years, plus I think he'll cave soon anyway, the more time he's over in Russia the more it hurts him. After we signed Carter he lost all of his edge and now we just have to wait until he comes to his senses. Really this deal wouldn't be good for us. We need a top four defenseman right now, not a goalie.

To the guy that was bashing the Jackets, do a little research and watch some of our games this season and you'll be very surprised at what you see. We aren't a crappy team filled with third liners anymore.

Millions Livio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
94now

I'd go for it. 4yrs 11 mill would do it, not 6 million a year he's joking about. Rangers won't do it, though. This team as of now is closed for Russians, IMO.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Millions Livio

He wasn't asking for 6mill a year contract. He was asking for 9million over three years, meaning 3 million a year. We offered him a three year 6.9 million deal in which he didn't respond to.

Millions Livio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
OhioGuy

From what some of your are saying, Zherdev might be a good fit for the Rangers. As was stated before though, we really don't need a goalie. I think the only way a deal could be worked out is if we had either a bonafide top 4 defensemen or a defensive prospect and picks coming back our way, that's really what we need right now

OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don Maloney was on Leafs Lunch earlier

Jagr's shoulder is coming along.Will be ready for the start of the season.Great range of motion

Jagr will be the captain.Should happen soon

Wanted more straight line NA players.Aaron Ward and Matt Cullen.Brendan Shanahan.Adam Hall.Get to the net.Battle.Find pucks

Shanny is a great pro.He wanted a fresh start away from Detroit

Jarkko Immonen in the running for a position.Need at center.Brandon Dubinsky.Ryan Hollweg.Jarkko needs to show he can play at the NHL pace which the Rangers will look for in the pre-season games

Brian Leetch.Rangers had a brief conversation with Leetch's agent but nothing materialized

Dominic Moore was moved because the Rangers wanted to add Hall's size to the line-up and the Rangers felt they had the depth in the system to replace Moore

Lundqvist is 100% healthy

Bill Watters said he recommended the Leafs hire Maloney as their GM in 2003 instead of John Ferguson Jr.

They didn't ask him about Zherdev

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 01:02 PM
broadwayblue

Am I the only one who is hoping the next big aquisition is a north american player? A guy like Shanny, but 10 years younger.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote