HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR @ WSH Game I: An Implosion Of Modest Proportions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 11:44 PM
  #276
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Any chance we can get Viggo Mortinson to be our motivational speaker on Sat?
Should have a profound effect on Zuke.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 PM
  #277
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Team absolutely has to start hitting the net, if only to create more scoring chances. Way too many shots were off target tonight. Also, despite the terrible call on Asham, they're not going to win by giving the Caps 4+ PP chances per night.

Stralman was god awful tonight, but aside from him, I don't think anyone had a terrible game. Liked Kreider's intensity and would have liked to see that 3rd line getting more time. 4th line looked good as well.

When you swing the momentum in your favor and fail to capitalize, it makes it very hard to win. Once the opponent takes it back, it's damn near impossible to stay positive.

This game very easily could have been ours early on if we cashed in on our chances.
Agreed on all of this. Just wanted to point out that a lot of the misses were due to good coverage in the lanes by the Caps in their defensive zone. Some of our players also started to be too fine with their shots after the Caps blocked 4 or 5 in that initial 10 minute stretch where they had the home-opening playoff juices flowing. As I said earlier, they out-Rangered us.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
  #278
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians. - Warren Buffet

Don't tell me what will happen in the future because it didn't happen in the past. That's why its called the future and it is unknown.

Literally only seen negative posts out of you tonight. Why even bother watching the game if you're so filled with negative emotion? Clearly you would be better suited doing something like breathing exercises, or Yoga, or listening to white noise, since you have so much pent up negative emotion.
The Rangers in their entire history, have never won a series after falling behind 2-0. That's a fact. When was the last time they even won a series where they didn't win the first game?

When was the last time this team overcame their history?

When they went down 2 goals, I said the game was over, and it was. It's not hard to make educated guesses.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
  #279
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
Should have a profound effect on Zuke.
That'd be a role more suited for Sean Astin.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:48 PM
  #280
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers in their entire history, have never won a series after falling behind 2-0. That's a fact. When was the last time they even won a series where they didn't win the first game?

When was the last time this team overcame their history?

When they went down 2 goals, I said the game was over, and it was. It's not hard to make educated guesses.
When was the last time the Boston Red Sox over came a 3-0 deficit before 2004? Never. Guess they should have packed it in in game 4, seeing as they had never overcome their history to that point.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 PM
  #281
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers in their entire history, have never won a series after falling behind 2-0. That's a fact. When was the last time they even won a series where they didn't win the first game?

When was the last time this team overcame their history?

When they went down 2 goals, I said the game was over, and it was. It's not hard to make educated guesses.
They've overcome history plenty of times.

And also, this "fact" is 100% false. They definitely did it against the Canadiens in 1996. I remember that pretty well. Who knows how many other times it's happened that you are ignoring?

And either way, I fail to see what a team going down 2-0 in the 90s has to do with a team going down 2-0 in a series in 2013, where not one single player is the same.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 PM
  #282
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
When was the last time the Boston Red Sox over came a 3-0 deficit before 2004? Never. Guess they should have packed it in in game 4, seeing as they had never overcome their history to that point.
Plot that on a graph. It's a called an outlier.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
  #283
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers in their entire history, have never won a series after falling behind 2-0. That's a fact. When was the last time they even won a series where they didn't win the first game?

When was the last time this team overcame their history?

When they went down 2 goals, I said the game was over, and it was. It's not hard to make educated guesses.
1996 versus Montreal. In fact, they lost game 1 and game 2 on home ice.

And I don't like to be that guy, but it's really hard to take you seriously about the rest of your argument when you say "that's a fact" regarding something that's so easy to look up, and you end up being dead wrong.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
  #284
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They've overcome history plenty of times.

And also, this "fact" is 100% false. They definitely did it against the Canadiens in 1996. I remember that pretty well. Who knows how many other times it's happened that you are ignoring?

And either way, I fail to see what a team going down 2-0 in the 90s has to do with a team going down 2-0 in a series in 2013, where not one single player is the same.
Hey I'll admit when I'm wrong and I'm wrong on that one.

But this team, right here, isn't overcoming anything.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
  #285
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Plot that on a graph. It's a called an outlier.
You're contradicting yourself. You just said "never". Now you're saying there's some sort of chance?

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
  #286
SauceCheese91
Registered User
 
SauceCheese91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers in their entire history, have never won a series after falling behind 2-0. That's a fact. When was the last time they even won a series where they didn't win the first game?

When was the last time this team overcame their history?

When they went down 2 goals, I said the game was over, and it was. It's not hard to make educated guesses.
lol this is laughable. Good thing history ALWAYS repeats itself. Oh wait.....? Good to know you're done with this team though, take a hike.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
  #287
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,733
vCash: 50
That stat sounds misleading too.

Really? A team going down by two in a series is less likely to win? What a novelty.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
  #288
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Hey I'll admit when I'm wrong and I'm wrong on that one.

But this team, right here, isn't overcoming anything.
One sec. While we have the 2nd coming of Nostradamus here, mind telling me who wins the Kentucky Derby on Sat? Need some quick cash.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:55 PM
  #289
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
You're contradicting yourself. You just said "never". Now you're saying there's some sort of chance?
You're trying to say that the Red Sox coming back from being down 3-0 is some sort of norm as opposed to being an extreme outlier. The norm is them losing. I know you guys on here like to wish on unicorns that these things happen all the time but they don't.

Rangers are gonna lose this series. I said it before it even started. I'll gladly take a perma-ban bet with anybody on that.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:55 PM
  #290
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Hey I'll admit when I'm wrong and I'm wrong on that one.

But this team, right here, isn't overcoming anything.
You know, I'm not entirely sure that the Rangers have ever lost a series when being up 2-0 either. Just an observation. You might not think this team has it in them. Your prerogative. Some of us think you're jumping the gun a little bit anyway.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
  #291
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You know, I'm not entirely sure that the Rangers have ever lost a series when being up 2-0 either. Just an observation. You might not think this team has it in them. Your prerogative. Some of us think you're jumping the gun a little bit anyway.
If you're saying they've never lost a series after they've won the first two games, Washington 2009.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:57 PM
  #292
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
I understand that some Rangers fans get super bipolar and all that fun stuff, but at the very least wait until the Rangers lose a home game before we freak out. Even if the Caps win game two, that just means they did their job and won their homes games. Then we have the chance to do the same (i.e. 2007 versus Buffalo). If you want to freak out when we're down 3-0, by all means go for it.

I personally won't join you, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. I just cannot stand all the "sky is falling" posts after one game.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:58 PM
  #293
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
I called this series a loss before it started, so really they are just affirming my predictions thus far, it's not a snap reaction.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:58 PM
  #294
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
If you're saying they've never lost a series after they've won the first two games, Washington 2009.
Yeah, you're right. For some reason, I thought the Rangers lost that first game because I thought there was something different about it. Turns out, I was just thinking about them beating up on Theodore in Game 1 and the Caps putting in Varlamov after.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:59 PM
  #295
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah, you're right. For some reason, I thought the Rangers lost that first game because I thought there was something different about it. Turns out, I was just thinking about them beating up on Theodore in Game 1 and the Caps putting in Neuvirth after.
I do believe that prior to that series, that was the case.


But you know, The Rangers....

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:00 AM
  #296
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Hey I'll admit when I'm wrong and I'm wrong on that one.

But this team, right here, isn't overcoming anything.
Karma. And you're calling people out for "research". LOL. Also, if you have so little faith, why are you even watching? This is a winnable series.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:00 AM
  #297
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
You're trying to say that the Red Sox coming back from being down 3-0 is some sort of norm as opposed to being an extreme outlier. The norm is them losing. I know you guys on here like to wish on unicorns that these things happen all the time but they don't.

Rangers are gonna lose this series. I said it before it even started. I'll gladly take a perma-ban bet with anybody on that.
It seems to me that you would take more pride in winning your perma-ban bet... whatever the hell that is, than if the Rangers won this series.

Also, excellent observation. A team that goes down 3-0 in a series, or even 2-0, has a greater likelihood of losing. My mind has been blown.

The point is there is always a chance as long as you're not eliminated. Outliers happen. Theyre outliers for a reason. Clearly it would not be ideal for the Rangers to put them selves in a 2-0 hole. Thats stating the obvious. It's not impossible. They came back from 3-1 down against the Sens last year. It's conceivable they'd be able to come back from a 2-0 down from the Caps this year.

Also, they came back from 2-0 back against the Pens a couple years back. Lost that series due to referee interference and bias that was under a lot of pressure to hand the Pens a cup to save that franchise.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
  #298
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I understand that some Rangers fans get super bipolar and all that fun stuff, but at the very least wait until the Rangers lose a home game before we freak out. Even if the Caps win game two, that just means they did their job and won their homes games. Then we have the chance to do the same (i.e. 2007 versus Buffalo). If you want to freak out when we're down 3-0, by all means go for it.

I personally won't join you, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. I just cannot stand all the "sky is falling" posts after one game.
Agreed, although it's hard not to get too high after a win, and too low after a loss. If the Rangers win game two Saturday this place will be as confident as ever with them coming home with a split. Good to try and have a short term memory after wins and losses.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
  #299
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Seriously. I often feel like people want their predictions or opinions validated more than they want the team to do well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I called this series a loss before it started, so really they are just affirming my predictions thus far, it's not a snap reaction.
Well played, haveandare. What's the point in this? Why even watch?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
  #300
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,195
vCash: 476
Upon cooling pff, off...

Regroup. Take game two heading into the Garden. Got to let the offense live though.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.