HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruok View Post
I honestly think trading down could be a good thing, if we trade the 7th, Hemsky, and Pitlick to Phoenix for the 12th and Samuelsson then you could draft Lazar
This is something I can see happening. I want Zadorov in that spot though

Old
05-02-2013, 09:05 PM
doubledown99

I would NEVER consider trading down if Monahan or Lindholm were available at 7. If they are gone then sure go ahead and move down.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
I honestly think trading down could be a good thing, if we trade the 7th, Hemsky, and Pitlick to Phoenix for the 12th and Samuelsson then you could draft Lazar
If Monahan, Lindholm, or (god help us) Barkov were available and we traded down, then Lowe, McTavish, Howson, and McGregor deserve to be fired on the spot.

auality>quanitity; talent>familiarity

Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
ruok

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
If Monahan, Lindholm, or (god help us) Barkov were available and we traded down, then Lowe, McTavish, Howson, and McGregor deserve to be fired on the spot.

Yeah it would be a hard choice, but Samuelsson is the exact type of player we need and already has a year of development. It's not like we would not be getting a very good prospect at twelve as well in that situation

Old
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post

On the flip side, if those three are there, especially Barkov, the value of the pick goes up dramatically. If a GM is clearly overpaying for the pick, you have to think about dealing it.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Yeah it would be a hard choice, but Samuelsson is the exact type of player we need and already has a year of development. It's not like we would not be getting a very good prospect at twelve as well in that situation
Two third liners or a 1B center. I know what I'd pick every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
On the flip side, if those three are there, especially Barkov, the value of the pick goes up dramatically. If a GM is clearly overpaying for the pick, you have to think about dealing it.
Unless we're getting NHL players for the pick, absolutely not. Barkov>>Shinkaruk+2 2nd round picks or something.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
We're playing with fire by expecting a 7th pick to jump in and immediately contribute this year or even next which is why I don't have a problem selecting Nichuskin high (provided he's coming to the NHL in two years). Get me the player who's going to be best in five years, it's the GMs and pro-scouts to properly fill in the gaps until they are ready.

My list is:
1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Barkov
4. Drouin (too talented to drop further)
5. Nichuskin
6. Monahan
7. Lindholm/Nurse

Against trading down during the draft. Seems to me that anyone who trades down for multiple draft picks gets the shaft end of the deal, but maybe I'm still Parise - Pouliot bent. Anyone have a recent history of trading down for multiple picks as to who made out with the best player?
Willis wrote one today:
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...013-nhl-draft/

Old
05-02-2013, 10:29 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Thanks for posting that. Sure makes trading down look even more brutal

05-02-2013, 10:46 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
I hope MacT reads that.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:19 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
If we are wanting to make the playoffs we cant make the teams we are competing with stronger...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:22 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Thanks for posting that. Sure makes trading down look even more brutal
Yeah, also seems rather meek and passive trading down for a couple lesser players. A bold move to me would be identifying the player you want, say Barkov, and trading up to get him. Be nice to say "we wanted him and we got him."

Old
05-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Baggers

If Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm and Nurse have already been selected by the time the Oilers pick, I'd be ok with them trading down. Moskow just paid $10 million transfer fee for Nichuskin so I don't see them letting him go without a fight.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Baggers

I see the draft going:
1. COL - Jones (no brainer)
2. FLO - MacKinnon
3. TB - Drouin (Stevie Y isn't afraid of Russians, so if Nichuskin makes it into the top 5 he goes here)
4. NAS - Barkov (could see Nurse going here as well)
5. CAR - Lindholm
6. CAL - Monahan

Old
05-03-2013, 12:08 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I see the draft going:
1. COL - Jones (no brainer)
2. FLO - MacKinnon
3. TB - Drouin (Stevie Y isn't afraid of Russians, so if Nichuskin makes it into the top 5 he goes here)
4. NAS - Barkov (could see Nurse going here as well)
5. CAR - Lindholm
6. CAL - Monahan
Looks pretty accurate. Then Nurse at #7 it will be

Old
05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

The Oilers absolutely should be looking to trade up to the 4th for a shot at Barkov. Size, skill, shoulder injury - he's everything the Oilers could dream about in a center to help platoon the middle of the ice for the next decade with RNH.

Oilers have 2 second round draft picks, which is typically what 3 - 5 slot trade-ups cost in drafts. Time to play up the "deep draft" nonsense everyone parrots to hype drafts every year, and get a potential star center that really wasn't an option with the first overalls the last 3 years.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:27 AM
oStealthKiller

IRL and not hf fantasy land shouldnt our first and two seconds be enough to get 4th? A gm goes from an A+ prospect to an A prospect a B prospect and a b- minus prospect

Old
05-03-2013, 12:28 AM
shogun99

I don't think that there's any way Nashville trades down. Their fan base seems pretty excited about Barkov.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Lindo

That EJ article makes a good argument against trading down. Just don't reach for Lazar and I think we come out ok.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I don't think that there's any way Nashville trades down. Their fan base seems pretty excited about Barkov.
Very likely they take him.

They've built for years around 2 defenseman and a goaltender, and they probably want to try a more balanced approach of a center/Dman/Goalie.

But the Oilers definitely should still try. Nashville has gone off the board a bit before, they may like someone more than Barkov.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:36 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

In terms of a late first or early second, what do you guys think about:

- Morrissey
- Bowey
- Robert Hagg

Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

- Morrissey
- Bowey
- Robert Hagg
I want Bowey. Huge upside

Old
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

- Morrissey
- Bowey
- Robert Hagg
I'm down with Bowey there. I'd crap my pants if we got Morrissey there.... wow.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:35 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Anyone have any strong opinions on Lindholm?

I'd like the Oilers to pick up a centreman in this draft and while I'd prefer Monahan it seems unlikely he'll slip past Calgary. Does Lindholm have the type of 2-way ability that the Oilers would need from a 2C behind RNH?

Old
05-03-2013, 04:03 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Anyone have any strong opinions on Lindholm?

I'd like the Oilers to pick up a centreman in this draft and while I'd prefer Monahan it seems unlikely he'll slip past Calgary. Does Lindholm have the type of 2-way ability that the Oilers would need from a 2C behind RNH?
No, but neither does Malkin behind Crosby

Let's not get it twisted here - Lindholm is much more offensively dynamic, while being just as good as Monahan defensively. The difference between the two is "intangibles". Monahan is able to take the temperature of the game and apply it to his play. Sometimes he's the guy setting the temperature. This is of course in a league featuring teenagers, while Lindholm is busy playing men in the SEL.

Again, they are 2 different types of players:
Lindholm - Backstrom's skillset in Marcus Johansson's frame, with MoJo's grittiness as well. He doesn't shy away from contact - the same way Lars Eller plays currently in MTL. Guys like him don't grow on trees. He's essentially another 1C - but wouldn't look bad in a 2C role. To have 2 defensively sound C's like RNH/Lindholm heading forward would make this team much much better - especially seeing how the plan is to use offensively gifted wingers to score. I see 60-70pt potential in this guy, with solid 2-way performance. May not hit everything like Monahan does - but will be effective in his own way.

Monahan - David Backes. Skates hard, hits hard, has decent hands to boot. Might take Monahan a couple years to reach that 220 frame that Backes carries, but he's got the hockey sense, physicality, 2-way awareness, and complete game to fit in as the prototypical 2C. May not be the best compliment to players like Yakupov - but you could build a useful line around this guy. 40-50pt potential with impactful 2-way play.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Topkatz

I think Carolina takes Nurse at 5.

Quote:

- Morrissey
- Bowey
- Robert Hagg
If we take a forward in the 1st round I take a defenceman in the second unless we can grab preferably a powerforward or Jenner type, or another can't miss prospect if it makes sense. Lazar might be available but I don't think thats likely.

It still hurts not taking Jenner, why didn't they do it? He had the qualities for at worst a 3rd line C with top 6 potential. If we didn't have a scout whos son was available I think that would have made a big difference...

Last edited by Topkatz: 05-03-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Closed Thread