HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mirtle: Leafs’ central weakness exposed by Bruins

Old
05-02-2013, 11:20 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

vCash: 500
Orr can't stick handle, pass, shoot, or skate. Why the **** is he even playing?

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
If he didn't the rats would win.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
I'm fine with this answer but I don't agree with those who misrepresent advanced stats from the bruins game to say Orr played poorly. He did not. He played poorly through the season - yes - but was not the issue in the bruins game.

And if people think Carlyle should bench Orr after being one of the better leafs against the Bruins and Carlyle should put more skilled players - fine but where is the accountability on the team. Basically, he is saying thanks for playing a good game Orr (measured by corsi) but I'm going to bench you.

Sometimes things are not as simple as measuring shots for and against.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
If he didn't the rats would win.
Like. This mad me laugh; good 'ol Burkie.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
SteveV*

No, no, Randy is perfect remember.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:55 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No, no, Randy is perfect remember.
I thought Randy would be perfect, finally getting him I am underwhelmed but that being said he is better then rotten Ronnie Wilson. Starting to think this young generation is to far removed from the older coaches ways.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
WOW.

The Leafs outshot their opponents marginally (29.9 to 28.6) in January but were out shot in subsequent months 32.6 to 26.7 in February, 32.4 to 27.1 in March and an incredible 33.4 to 22.9 in 12 April games.
With that trend a full season would be ugly!

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
He also forgot to tell the team to shoot the puck. We can't forget that.
Joking aside, I think this is actually a huge issue.

The Leafs D seems to be afraid to shoot the puck for some reason. There were so many times that the a Leafs D had the puck in the offensive zone and tried to make a play instead of shooting I lost count.

It's certainly not on par with some of the complex analysis that gets presented here, but look at Boston's goals.

1. Point shot - partial screen
2. Point shot - tipped
4. Point shot - goalie gaffe

The Bruins D took 14 shots on Reimer, the Leafs D took 4.

Let's face it, the Leafs are not going to cycle and maintain a ton of offensive zone pressure against the Bruins, so to me, any opportunity to shoot on net needs to be taken. Especially by the D.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Joking aside, I think this is actually a huge issue.

The Leafs D seems to be afraid to shoot the puck for some reason. There were so many times that the a Leafs D had the puck in the offensive zone and tried to make a play instead of shooting I lost count.

It's certainly not on par with some of the complex analysis that gets presented here, but look at Boston's goals.

1. Point shot - partial screen
2. Point shot - tipped
4. Point shot - goalie gaffe

The Bruins D took 14 shots on Reimer, the Leafs D took 4.

Let's face it, the Leafs are not going to cycle and maintain a ton of offensive zone pressure against the Bruins, so to me, any opportunity to shoot on net needs to be taken. Especially by the D.
I definitely agree. The Leafs D try too much to find the perfect pass to set up a perfect play. They cycle the puck for too long around the boards and eventually the other team just breaks it up. It's been a big problem in the last 3 weeks.

Just look at the Sens game last night. 3 shots from the blue line, albeit one was a garbage goal from Price, and they created a goal with traffic and net crashing.

We need more shots from the defense to get the rebound. Enough with the drop passes and the endless cycle of puck movement to the outside. Pass and boom on net, jump on the rebound. It's simple but the Leafs sometimes make it so complicated for nothing.

Leafs have good point shots with Phaneuf, Franson and Liles. With maybe Gardiner back in, that'll be another good shot from the point. They just have to use them.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

So, when Ronnie scratched all those enforcers and less skilled players in favour of skilled players last year and the Leafs got dominated physically by the Bruins, they lost to them because "they're soft and they aren't tough/physical enough."

But now, the Leafs dress the enforcers and the gritty guys and scratch the skilled players and they lose because "they can't manage the puck. they're terrible possession players."

So, which one is it?

05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Our gameplan reminds me of this:

I just spat out coke because of this. This image perfectly symbolizes Carlyle's get outshot strategy.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
So, when Ronnie scratched all those enforcers and less skilled players in favour of skilled players last year and the Leafs got dominated physically by the Bruins, they lost to them because "they're soft and they aren't tough/physical enough."

But now, the Leafs dress the enforcers and the gritty guys and scratch the skilled players and they lose because "they can't manage the puck. they're terrible possession players."

So, which one is it?
It's not that simple. Wilson was an inept coach, and his system was a far greater issue than the lineup he deployed.

Boston cannot be beaten at their own game, plain and simple. Teams like Montreal and Washington have proven that Boston is vulnerable against teams that utilize speed, quick puck movement, and discipline as opposed to trying to engage them emotionally and physically.

We have the player personnel to employ that strategy, and we have to emulate it if we are to have any chance of being competitive in this series.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Offspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Our gameplan reminds me of this:

So. Very. True.

@ 0:03

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I definitely agree. The Leafs D try too much to find the perfect pass to set up a perfect play. They cycle the puck for too long around the boards and eventually the other team just breaks it up. It's been a big problem in the last 3 weeks.

Just look at the Sens game last night. 3 shots from the blue line, albeit one was a garbage goal from Price, and they created a goal with traffic and net crashing.

We need more shots from the defense to get the rebound. Enough with the drop passes and the endless cycle of puck movement to the outside. Pass and boom on net, jump on the rebound. It's simple but the Leafs sometimes make it so complicated for nothing.

Leafs have good point shots with Phaneuf, Franson and Liles. With maybe Gardiner back in, that'll be another good shot from the point. They just have to use them.
Hockey is a game of adjustments, do something the same long enough the other team figures it out. What your talking about is strategy the issue with the Leafs isn't necessarily strategy but ability from what is dressed that has this team in a rope & dope in terms of puck possession and finds it's self getting out shot cause they're spending more time in the D zone then the offensive zone.

I have my beliefs as to why Carlyle dresses the players he does especially on D where it's more about brawn and playing safe this year that has got to the point it's taken flow away from transitioning into playing offense effectively as five men units. The lack of smarts on the point is also a reason why they don't cycle effectively, the cycle isn't just the 3 forwards who are involved, The D men play a vital role in it .

Anyway my theory wont be popular around here but I believe this "SAFE & BRAUN" game plan Carlyle has in place defensively is do to not believing in his goalies and they need to be protected more than one likes, that's why Nonis was knocking on the door for a goalie not so long ago.

Yes they get out shot but like many others have said most of those shots are perimeter shots and that's the effect of the brawn on the blue line.

The issue that has crept into the Leafs game now is that this "BRAUN HEAVY" blue line is effecting the offensive flow of the teams game and Boston feasted on it in game 1.

The adjustment is clear for Carlyle but does he trust Reimer enough to do it? Those goals he gave up leaking through Reimer is the concern in why they play so safe with the strategy defensively to not chase, keep everything on the out side and collapse to protect the goalies from facing shots from the slot. We shall see but if both Gardiner and Liles don't dress next game it's clear to me anyway the coaching staff isn't sold on Reimer.

That's my theory fire away.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
It's not that simple. Wilson was an inept coach, and his system was a far greater issue than the lineup he deployed.

Boston cannot be beaten at their own game, plain and simple. Teams like Montreal and Washington have proven that Boston is vulnerable against teams that utilize speed, quick puck movement, and discipline as opposed to trying to engage them emotionally and physically.

We have the player personnel to employ that strategy, and we have to emulate it if we are to have any chance of being competitive in this series.
I agree with most of what you have said except for the personnel comment. On defense we don't really have enough skill to up the tempo & play a speed game. Gardiner might help but I doubt we are going to see his best form this year because Carlyle hasn't been very patient with him.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Hockey is a game of adjustments, do something the same long enough the other team figures it out. What your talking about is strategy the issue with the Leafs isn't necessarily strategy but ability from what is dressed that has this team in a rope & dope in terms of puck possession and finds it's self getting out shot cause they're spending more time in the D zone then the offensive zone.

I have my beliefs as to why Carlyle dresses the players he does especially on D where it's more about brawn and playing safe this year that has got to the point it's taken flow away from transitioning into playing offense effectively as five men units. The lack of smarts on the point is also a reason why they don't cycle effectively, the cycle isn't just the 3 forwards who are involved, The D men play a vital role in it .

Anyway my theory wont be popular around here but I believe this "SAFE & BRAUN" game plan Carlyle has in place defensively is do to not believing in his goalies and they need to be protected more than one likes, that's why Nonis was knocking on the door for a goalie not so long ago.

Yes they get out shot but like many others have said most of those shots are perimeter shots and that's the effect of the brawn on the blue line.

The issue that has crept into the Leafs game now is that this "BRAUN HEAVY" blue line is effecting the offensive flow of the teams game and Boston feasted on it in game 1.

The adjustment is clear for Carlyle but does he trust Reimer enough to do it? Those goals he gave up leaking through Reimer is the concern in why they play so safe with the strategy defensively to not chase, keep everything on the out side and collapse to protect the goalies from facing shots from the slot. We shall see but if both Gardiner and Liles don't dress next game it's clear to me anyway the coaching staff isn't sold on Reimer.

That's my theory fire away.
The goalies would be protected more if the defense was better at moving the puck & skating with it. The puck would be in the other teams end more. This 'safe & braun' theory does the opposite.

Why wouldn't the coaching staff have faith in Reimer? He is one of the, if not the biggest reason that they made the playoffs this year. Even in spite of getting constantly out shot by opposing teams.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Colton Orr had a better game than Chris Kelly according to Fenwick..

That's how you know this crap shouldn't be taken seriously.

Well you done convinced me!

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:58 PM
sept89
Rookie User

everyone already knew it but let the excitement of making the playoffs get to them. All you have to do is watch the game and see how bad at passing the puck, maintaining control and making smart decisions in terms of lanes and clearing to infer what mirtle is talking about rather than look at corsis and fenwicks. I guess that's what happens when you have a team flooded with wingers who only know how to shoot and defensemen that are ripe for the forecheck.

sept89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
sept89
Rookie User

the habs are big on puck possession...no wonder that combined with speed posed so much problems for the bruins all season long.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:02 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
G&M is trolling Leaf nation with their latest articles.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
sept89
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I just spat out coke because of this. This image perfectly symbolizes Carlyle's get outshot strategy.
It's not carlyle's strategy. This is what happens when you force a rushing team to play defense.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

There have been 6 major penalties:

2 = Komarov has the Leafs'. This was his scuffle with Kelly?
1 = Gryba for his legal hit.
2 = Okposo, Reasoner
1 = Niskanen

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Griffski

Reading this article about the leafs weaknesses... All I can think is THANK GOD we drafted Morgan Rielly.

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:02 PM
leafspring*

This guy writing every article in terms of explaining the game by stats is idiotic and based on stubbornness in the face of reality. The reality is he is inept to the intricacies of the game.

Complete BS.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:34 PM
leafspring*

Game over,Mirtle exposed again as leafs win and get outshot. This must be making the stat makers go insane.Maybe they were insane already though. Reimer playing to his standard doesn't help this guys visionary reporting style either lol.

I will be waiting for a article from him giving all the credit to Reimer. Won't hold my breath waiting though.

Owned again Mirtle.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote