HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Are we competitive next year?

Old
05-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Lolnowayhaha

vCash: 500
Are we competitive next year?

Or is this another rebuilding year? Please god get rid of mez...lol

Lolnowayhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:17 AM
RussianRocket10

Another rebuilding year? I didn't know we had one already. Rebuild isn't a word in Snider's and Holmgren's dictionary.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If this was a full 82 game season, it could have easily been turned around. For as bad as the Flyers played this season...and it was pretty damned bad at times...they finished just six point out of the playoffs. Now I don't think that means that the Flyers are going to win the President's Trophy next season, but I am fully confident that they will AT LEAST be in the mix for a playoff spot.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:15 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If this was a full 82 game season, it could have easily been turned around. For as bad as the Flyers played this season...and it was pretty damned bad at times...they finished just six point out of the playoffs. Now I don't think that means that the Flyers are going to win the President's Trophy next season, but I am fully confident that they will AT LEAST be in the mix for a playoff spot.
this.

and why please get rid of mez? it's not like there are many options available in terms of replacement this offseason and the flyers certainly don't need the cap space right now especially after a briere amnesty. this is the last year of his contract, i say keep him and if he can stay healthy he's better than almost any ufa option or Lauridsen/Manning/Konan.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

"Please get rid of Mez?"

People are way too hard on Meszaros.

Yes, he needs to stay healthy, but when he is healthy, he's a very effective player. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him if it opens up the cap space to make another move, but dumping him for the sake of getting rid of him would be silly. We're not going to find a better replacement on the open market at the same price--(again, if healthy).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

I didn't even see the please get rid of Mez part. Haha. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him, but I wouldn't amnesty him or trade him for peanuts. When he is healthy he is perfectly fine, his problem is just staying healthy (getting healthy?).

Old
05-03-2013, 07:13 AM
spudnick

It all depends. Mason has to continue his stellar play because we know what we get with Bryz and he is not a capable goaltender. This is why he must be bought out. We need to improve our Defense which probably means trading one of B Schenn, Coots or Laughton. Personally I would rather trade Schenn of the 3 because he reminds me a lot of JVR but having L Schenn probably means he is here to stay.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Curufinwe

This team makes the playoffs or Homer, Lavy and Bryz are all gone.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
This team makes the playoffs or Homer, Lavy and Bryz are all gone.
If we get off to a poor start, I doubt Laviolette makes it to Christmas.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If we get off to a poor start, I doubt Laviolette makes it to Christmas.
Worst Chrismas ever in the Laviolette household.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
BernieParent

To answer the OP, yes, this team will be competitive. They should be back in the playoffs, but I wouldn't be expecting a deep run with the present line-up.

As for their place in the playoffs were this a full schedule, it's probably but far from a slam-dunk. Too many variables and I take the 10-5 record after they were all but out of contention with a grain of salt in such an odd schedule. Mindsets and pressure levels when there's only pride to play for are fickle things.

And I don't want to go on a rant here ...

... but the idea of momentum into next season I've seen in a couple of threads is ridiculous. Momentum changes between periods and even from one shift to the next. To think that the collective psyche of the team will be positively affected over a summer, through the playoffs in which they are not a participant, and with a largely different roster (given the near complete change in defensemen) is devoid of logic.

On Meszaros, his cap hit can certainly be put to much better use in the off-season. Yes, he is a better defensive option than most available when he is healthy, but I have lost confidence that he can do his job on a regular shift over a long stretch of the season with his frailty. And with the Flyers' propensity to spend to the cap and Pronger's contract taking up permanent residence on the LTIR, playing "what if" with Meszaros is (IMHO) a luxury this team cannot afford.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
On Meszaros, his cap hit can certainly be put to much better use in the off-season. Yes, he is a better defensive option than most available when he is healthy, but I have lost confidence that he can do his job on a regular shift over a long stretch of the season with his frailty. And with the Flyers' propensity to spend to the cap and Pronger's contract taking up permanent residence on the LTIR, playing "what if" with Meszaros is (IMHO) a luxury this team cannot afford.
Here is my concern: the free agent crop is pretty poor this offseason, so we'd be stuck overpaying for a guy who's either significantly older (Streit) or not significantly better (Hainsey) for multiple years going forward. That means less flexibility after next season, when we've got a number of guys to get re-signed and, at least potentially, there are better free agent options (though I'm sure that will change).

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good. In fact, I'm more concerned that he'll play his way into a stupid extension than burden the blue-line. All of that could change if he's really not going to be healthy, of course, but in that case, I think it would be difficult to move him.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
JVR21
G

How was this a rebuilding year? We did nothing to rebuild.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:34 AM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
It all depends. Mason has to continue his stellar play because we know what we get with Bryz and he is not a capable goaltender. This is why he must be bought out. We need to improve our Defense which probably means trading one of B Schenn, Coots or Laughton. Personally I would rather trade Schenn of the 3 because he reminds me a lot of JVR but having L Schenn probably means he is here to stay.
How does Schenn remind you of JVR? They don't even play the same position. One of JVR's biggest flaws was that he wasn't physical something you certainly can't say about Schenn. Since his injury to start the 11-12 season Schenn's health hasn't been a persistent problem whatsoever. He's been one of the teams most durable players in fact. Lack of durability was one of JVR's calling cards. This comparison makes absolutely no sense to me.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
How does Schenn remind you of JVR? They don't even play the same position. One of JVR's biggest flaws was that he wasn't physical something you certainly can't say about Schenn. Since his injury to start the 11-12 season Schenn's health hasn't been a persistent problem whatsoever. He's been one of the teams most durable players in fact. Lack of durability was one of JVR's calling cards. This comparison makes absolutely no sense to me.
Agreed. If the offense isn't going for Schenn you still at least notice him out there. I couldn't say the same for JVR during his time here.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Here is my concern: the free agent crop is pretty poor this offseason, so we'd be stuck overpaying for a guy who's either significantly older (Streit) or not significantly better (Hainsey) for multiple years going forward. That means less flexibility after next season, when we've got a number of guys to get re-signed and, at least potentially, there are better free agent options (though I'm sure that will change).

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good. In fact, I'm more concerned that he'll play his way into a stupid extension than burden the blue-line. All of that could change if he's really not going to be healthy, of course, but in that case, I think it would be difficult to move him.
I won't disagree with this statement. However, if I were writing it, here's what I'd do:

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good.

He's talented, has offensive upside and is a hard hitter, but his body cannot take the rigours of an NHL game, much less a schedule.

I understand the minimal options out there to replace Meszaros, but if I'm Paul Holmgren, I get that $4 million in cap space available as soon as possible. And, by the way, Meszaros' actual salary for this year is $5.5 million. We like to toss out our opinion that money is no object to Mr. Snider, but I don't think his accountants are smiling about paying out for little actual return.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I won't disagree with this statement. However, if I were writing it, here's what I'd do:

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good.

He's talented, has offensive upside and is a hard hitter, but his body cannot take the rigours of an NHL game, much less a schedule.

I understand the minimal options out there to replace Meszaros, but if I'm Paul Holmgren, I get that $4 million in cap space available as soon as possible. And, by the way, Meszaros' actual salary for this year is $5.5 million. We like to toss out our opinion that money is no object to Mr. Snider, but I don't think his accountants are smiling about paying out for little actual return.
It is easy to forget that Meszaros played less than 81 games just once in his first six full seasons. He's had horrible luck over the past year and half.

We'll see I guess, but I'd rather have Meszaros at $4.0 AAV for one year than Hainsey or Streit at $5.0+ for 3-5 years.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:09 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Mesz has definitely become brittle boy....but there are few options out there to upgrade the D without overpaying so in some ways we just have to see it through with Mesz and hope he stays healthy although I have my doubts.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Curufinwe

Keeping Mezaros for this season and then trading him at the deadline for a pick or just letting him go as a UFA is not a huge deal. If he's healthy then good. If not, he can go on LTIR. I think there is almost no chance they resign him.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Mez is the new Betts.

05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 559
If our young forwards continue to improve,
If our defense stays somewhat healthy,
If Mason and Bryz bring out the best in each other,
I think it will be a good season.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Mez is a very good defender when he is healthy. unfortunately for him that is a problem.
I dont think they should amnesty him and I dont think they can since he ended the season on LTIR. I could be wrong about that.
I think he will be on the team next season. Healthy or not. Then they will just let him walk into free agency in 2014. Unless Holmgren deals him for under market value which i dont think he does.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Mgkibbles

Playoff team, yea. Cup Contender, ah, probably not - unless Couturier and B. Schenn turn into real offensive forces.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolnowayhaha View Post
Or is this another rebuilding year? Please god get rid of mez...lol
Yes, I think they'll be much better next year. Really, the Flyers are better than many playoff teams I've been watching this week: NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto come to mind in the East. And I'm not scared of Pitt, Boston or Wash either. If healthy we are a match for any of them. Honestly, they were just starting to come around when all the D got hurt. If the D had stayed healthy, we'd be playing now.

For next year, we really need to buy Briere out and add one good big winger (Horton? Stallberg?) and acquire another mobile Dman. Looking unlikely that Zaitsev is it now, but I'm hopeful we'll find someone either as a Euro UFA or via trade.

Luke Schenn emerged as the stud many of us thought he would be. i'd like to keep Meszaros, since no one will take him anyway....Gustafsson really put himself into the mix, and Lauridsen is close. Coburn, Grossmann and Timonen make it a good group, injuries nothwithstanding.

Both Brayden Schenn and Coots really stepped it up late in the year offensively, I think that will continue. Laughton is going to be a good player to add into the roster. McGinn and Noebbels will help add size to the wings.

I always liked Bryz, so if he stays , he'll be good and Mason will push him.

There is a lot to like with this team, good young forwards, some good young D too. Can't wait for training camp.

Last edited by Larry44: 05-03-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Curufinwe

I don't think they're better than Ottawa with a healthy Karlsson and Spezza. Anderson is an outstanding goalie.