HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

One GM has already contacted Nashville about the 4th overall pick

Old
05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Sorta surprised it's only been one team.

The top three are certainly in their own tier... I'm sure many people are wondering if Nashville had their heart set on a certain player at #1 if they were lucky enough to move up.

They should expect to get lots of calls because there is no consensus #4 pick in this draft.
I don't have a source but I am pretty sure I have read that some scouts have Barkov as high as #2 and that he is part of the top tier in the draft. I don't think its a longshot to say Barkov gets selected before Drouin or MacKinnon.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
One deal isn't a pattern. It's fair to say that the Preds may not have the fan support yet to do an Oilers type rebuild. They probably won't able to afford a few years at the bottom. So especially after dealing a proven roster player for a young talented maybe, I think Poile might be itching to try to add real NHLers to that forward group for next season.
Well, no...One deal isn't a pattern, but it was done just a few weeks ago when Poile knew we didn't have much of a chance at the playoffs. He didn't show much panic there anyway.

Overall, I think your post is a bit of a reach or possibly a stereotype. Even with the terrible season with extremely low scoring they sold out all but 3 games.

The other argument here is how atypical the Oilers rebuild is. Three years in a row with #1's and still miss the playoffs? Not a knock on the team, but more on Tambo, btw...

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Well, no...One deal isn't a pattern, but it was done just a few weeks ago when Poile knew we didn't have much of a chance at the playoffs. He didn't show much panic there anyway.

Overall, I think your post is a bit of a reach or possibly a stereotype. Even with the terrible season with extremely low scoring they sold out all but 3 games.

The other argument here is how atypical the Oilers rebuild is. Three years in a row with #1's and still miss the playoffs? Not a knock on the team, but more on Tambo, btw...
He wasn't concerned then because the playoff weren't an option. Playoffs next year could be an option, with the right moves.

Again, I'll state, Nashville is doing fine now for support. My statement was only that that may change if they spend a few years in the cellar.

As for how my Oilers are doing, Pittsburgh drafted Fleury 1st, Malkin 2nd, and Crosby 1st, and they still finished low enough to draft J Staal 2nd overall the following year. It takes a while if you rebuild through the draft and have no good vets for support.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Flyers2point0

Yeah I can totally see that being Homer. I can see him overpaying Nashville if the idea is to use that pick on Nichushkin and draft Zadorov with the 11th pick.

Nashville seems to need NHL forwards so I imagine to do this without swapping picks it would take something like Hartnell, Laughton, and Cousins to get it done. Hartnell and Laughton are both worth 1sts on their own, but the 4th overall has a lot of value in this draft especially. Hartnell is a top 6 winger that can play now, Laughton is a future #1-2 center that could potentially play in the NHL in a 3rd line role next year, and Cousins is a good player that's still a few years off with top 9 potential.

Again I only see them making an offer if they're keeping their own pick to draft D and they're thinking rebuild, and looking at our team's roster right now it wouldn't surprise me. We've had so many young guys called up lately and things weren't working out before so I can see it happening. This way we get our young defensemen and a talented young winger who wants to be here and Nashville gets a top 6 guy for now and one for the future as well, with an additional top 9 guy in Cousins.

Not sure what either side would think of that though.

Flyers2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Soundgarden

The only way I see us trading the pick is if we can still get anther pck in the top ten, or for a young talent like Eriksson or Eberle. Hartnells a good player, but is 30 and too old to be the centerpiece in a trade like this. Laughton is a good prospect, an that's a hefty package, but I'd honestly rather keep it and draft Barkov.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Regier wants to move up. I wonder what it would take to move up from 8 to 4?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
That fact, plus Poile's and Regier's history on past trades, is why I'd bet money it was Regier who called Poile. Even the description from Poile of the call - "what it would take to get the 4th" - is almost verbatim how Regier characterized his inquiries in the WGR550 interview on Tuesday.
Buffalo would also have interest in Barov because it would then create an all Finnish line in Leino-Barkov-Armia

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
predfan24

The Preds so badly need a Mackinnon,Drouin,Barkov in the organization. It's just not going to happen barring a overpayment and not just and overpayment but one that makes sense for the Preds.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:53 PM
AintLifeGrand

Not saying I want Nash to do this... but

to Nashville: Miller,Leino, Hodgson, Vanek, 8th, 2013 2nd

to Buf:Rinne, 4th overall, Craig Smith

Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Wilson-Fisher- Forsberg
Borque-Legwand-Hornqvist
Clune-Spaling-Beck

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post

Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Wilson-Fisher- Forsberg
Borque-Legwand-Hornqvist
Clune-Spaling-Beck
We are not swapping Rinne for Miller.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:

Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Wilson-Fisher- Forsberg
Borque-Legwand-Hornqvist
Clune-Spaling-Beck
Good gravy that's terrible for both teams.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
zytz
lumberjack

You know I came to this thread expecting to say that NSH shouldn't and wouldn't trade their 4th overall, but now Im curious - what does their cap situation look like for next year?

This years crop of UFAs isn't too shabby, and despite their performance this year I think 9/10 times NSH is still a playoff team this season. If they're confident they can make a few good pickups this summer I could definitely see them turning that pick into a more established young player that is ready to make an impact.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:

Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Wilson-Fisher- Forsberg
Borque-Legwand-Hornqvist
Clune-Spaling-Beck
LOL WUT?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
You know I came to this thread expecting to say that NSH shouldn't and wouldn't trade their 4th overall, but now Im curious - what does their cap situation look like for next year?

This years crop of UFAs isn't too shabby, and despite their performance this year I think 9/10 times NSH is still a playoff team this season. If they're confident they can make a few good pickups this summer I could definitely see them turning that pick into a more established young player that is ready to make an impact.
Internally we only really have to sign Roman Josi, who we expect a bridge contract along the lines of what Subban got.

Poile has said a few times that they want to replace Erat with another veteran top six forward, albeit one with a little more "sandpaper" than Erat had. I think they would also like to add a #4 defenseman.

So...figure those two pieces for around 7M total (4.5-5M for a forward, 2.5-2M for a defenseman), and I think one or both of Forsberg and whomever gets drafted (in all likelihood, Barkov) to be in the lineup. I think Sergei Kostitsyn and\or Craig Smith will be traded to recoup a roster spot and salary.

UFA Fisher Hornqvist
Wilson Barkov Forsberg (what a number one line that could end up being, eventually)
Beck Legwand Bourque
Halischuk Gaustad Spaling
Clune

Weber Josi
Klein UFA
Bartley Ellis
Gill

Rinne
UFA goaltender

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Wilson-Fisher- Forsberg
Borque-Legwand-Hornqvist
Clune-Spaling-Beck
No, add on Buffalo's side

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:09 AM
416Leafer

I would love the 4th overall pick in this draft. I don't see anything Toronto could do that would make sense from our end though that Nashville would actually accept.

They should just keep the pick IMO. Only reason they should move it, is if they have a guy that they're targetting in the draft who they think is better than who will be going in the area of the draft that they're picking. In which case it could make sense to get some assets in return to trade down a few spots, and get the guy they wanted anyways.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Cheerio

If Pitt makes the Cup final would Nashville do the 4th overall for 6th overall, and Pittsburgh's 1st? Not sure if Calgary does this but just curious on value

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
If Pitt makes the Cup final would Nashville do the 4th overall for 6th overall, and Pittsburgh's 1st? Not sure if Calgary does this but just curious on value
Nope. Picks alone don't justify dropping out of the top-4 when considering the supposed drop off in talent.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Robert Theodorson

Why on earth would Nashville pass on the chance to take Barkov, who could very well be the best offensive player in the draft, when Nashville is a goal-starved team?

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
DJOpus

I'm on a re-build the Canucks kick (not for real, just as a reaction to the overall panic about the Canucks losing their 1st playoff game this year)...

4th overall + Jonathan Blum/Ryan Ellis for Ryan Kesler?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
FeedingFrenzy

to Nash-

Simmonds + Couturier

to Philly

4th pick

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
WestCoast

second and 3rd liners aren't worth a top 4 pick

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
to Nash-

Simmonds + Couturier

to Philly

4th pick
Two 2/3 liners for what could be a franchise center?

No.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Two 2/3 liners for what could be a franchise center?

No.
lol..you are funny. Simmonds scores as a 1st line pace. Look at the #'s. And Couts is a 3rd liner today at 20...not in 2 years.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
WestCoast

A top 4 pick can be franchise altering, Barkov can be star in this league which a franchise builds around, you don't do that with Wayne Simmonds.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote