HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 08:04 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Prospect of the year? Nice, but I disagree.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Carlzner

Agreed, I was surprised.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
broad

Something that I haven't seen mentioned:

The longer Kuz spends in the KHL to get better, the more mileage we get out of our ELC with him. He could be a first line winger right away on an ELC.

Of course, this doesn't matter if he refuses to sign a contract fitting his draft range. He might ask for and get the rookie max. So that would be a 3.9m cap hit.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
Something that I haven't seen mentioned:

The longer Kuz spends in the KHL to get better, the more mileage we get out of our ELC with him. He could be a first line winger right away on an ELC.

Of course, this doesn't matter if he refuses to sign a contract fitting his draft range. He might ask for and get the rookie max. So that would be a 3.9m cap hit.
The longer Kuz spends in the KHL to get better, the less mileage we'll get out of controlling his rights. If he comes over at 22, he'll be under the Caps' control for 5 years before he's UFA eligible. I'd rather have the 2 extra years of control than the extra mileage on his ELC.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
The less years we also get out of him, as a player, no?

Players have finite careers.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The less years we also get out of him, as a player, no?

Players have finite careers.
That too.

There's not a single positive to having him wait this long, IMO. An extra year abroad, a la Ovechkin and Backstrom, I could buy as beneficial to his development. But the most rapid way to develop his NHL game would be to play in the NHL.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:50 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The longer Kuz spends in the KHL to get better, the less mileage we'll get out of controlling his rights. If he comes over at 22, he'll be under the Caps' control for 5 years before he's UFA eligible. I'd rather have the 2 extra years of control than the extra mileage on his ELC.
I was under the impression that it was 27 or 7 years of service.

So if he came over 19 after being drafted, he would have 7 years of service until he was 26 before UFA.

If he comes over next year at 21, then we get 6 years of service, until he is 27.

Personally I would rather have the lower cap hit.

Not that it matters anyway since this roster has quite a few overpayments on it.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I was under the impression that it was 27 or 7 years of service.

So if he came over 19 after being drafted, he would have 7 years of service until he was 26 before UFA.

If he comes over next year at 21, then we get 6 years of service, until he is 27.

Personally I would rather have the lower cap hit.

Not that it matters anyway since this roster has quite a few overpayments on it.
It is 27 or 7 years of service, whichever comes first.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
broad

Right, isn't that what I said?

Anyway, if he came over right after the draft we'd only have an extra year of rights and he would still be developing under the ELC.

If he comes over next year, we could potentially have two years where he is still on an ELC but playing like a franchise player.

Pittsburgh and Chicago both won their cups while they had Malkin/Toews/Kane under favourable contracts correct?

It's too bad (for them) its looking like Philly squandered Giroux's contract. Edmonton is looking like its going to squander Hall and co's ELCs as well.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Right, isn't that what I said?

Anyway, if he came over right after the draft we'd only have an extra year of rights and he would still be developing under the ELC.

If he comes over next year, we could potentially have two years where he is still on an ELC but playing like a franchise player.

Pittsburgh and Chicago both won their cups while they had Malkin/Toews/Kane under favourable contracts correct?

It's too bad (for them) its looking like Philly squandered Giroux's contract. Edmonton is looking like its going to squander Hall and co's ELCs as well.
He turns 21 in a little under 3 weeks. If he comes over after next season, it'll be as a 22 year old.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Prospect of the year? Nice, but I disagree.
NVM I see it. Hockey's Future has been really far behind on the Kuznetsov bandwagon. So its a good thing they finally caught up.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Kuznetsov's ELC is going to be loaded with bonuses. His cap hit will not be that small.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

And while I can't speak definitively on his development, having seen very, very little of him this year, the numbers indicate stagnation.

Hopefully some of our Russian posters can confirm or deny based on his overall play.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

There is some transformation to it I think. Like Kuz morphing into more complete team player More passing mentality.

What do I know... really it's an impression from his own words in media. Didn't watch him play much.

He is doing more work and less sniping. I would not say stagnation. Sophomore slump maybe.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
And while I can't speak definitively on his development, having seen very, very little of him this year, the numbers indicate stagnation.

Hopefully some of our Russian posters can confirm or deny based on his overall play.
I watched a lot of the games from September to December and he started off hot then cooled down on production, but seemed to get a lot of chances. Which appears to be what people have said on the KHL board.

That is one the last games I watched and it was a really dominant game, too lazy to find the long highlights video.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Acallabeth
2 good 4 RS

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:

His rushing and dangling style wasn't going to last for long, also he's now well famous around the league, they defend better against him. Kuzya's hockey was puck possession all the time with only passing while he's under a gun, and he is reforming now to simplify his game (not trying to score the goal of the year each time) and focus on playmaking and defense more. He also proved to be vulnerable to body-checking as he's not overly powerful for his decent size.
As I said earlier in this thread, while not being able to capitalize on most of his chances and not playing the best hockey this playoffs, he was still scoring on a decent rate what I consider to be a good sign - he won't disappear when the game isn't coming his way.
But Kuznetsov will really benefit from having another KHL year IMO.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
His rushing and dangling style wasn't going to last for long, also he's now well famous around the league, they defend better against him. Kuzya's hockey was puck possession all the time with only passing while he's under a gun, and he is reforming now to simplify his game (not trying to score the goal of the year each time) and focus on playmaking and defense more. He also proved to be vulnerable to body-checking as he's not overly powerful for his decent size.
As I said earlier in this thread, while not being able to capitalize on most of his chances and not playing the best hockey this playoffs, he was still scoring on a decent rate what I consider to be a good sign - he won't disappear when the game isn't coming his way.
But Kuznetsov will really benefit from having another KHL year IMO.
You think he will play center next year?

I thought the breakaways missing from his game while playing center made it common sense to just put him back at wing, but he doesn't get them quite like he did to begin the year or in years past, so putting him at center seems like a good choice.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Acallabeth
2 good 4 RS

I'm not sure what position he will play next year (though him being tried as a center late in the season can be a hint), but strategically it would be a right decision. First, it will suit his changing playing style well, will allow him to work on his weaknesses. Second (and it's important!), playing center greatly increases his chances for the national team as our center depth at C isn't anywhere close to RW. So I think he'll try to go to center eventually.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:34 AM
artilector

I'm not too worried about Kuz. He has skills, he has size, and he's proven that he's willing to step up in big moments (I mean, the guy put the team on his back at WJCs). I guess he wasn't dominant in playoffs, but he wasn't invisible, either -- big difference. And for a young guy expected to lead a team that's a lot of pressure.. he'll learn. So while nobody can predict if he can be an NHL superstar, I think when he adjusts and learns the game, he's gonna be a very good player and will perform in playoffs. So at the very least he should a very nice asset for the Caps -- but of course the hope is that he can learn to produce consistently and becomes a Caps' star for many years..

Also, Oates should be a great coach for him. Enough opportunities to contribute offensively, structure to learn a balanced NHL game, and most importantly -- communicating about adjustments. I mean if Oates got Ovi to make some useful changes to his game, seems like he should be able to really help Kuz's development.

Another thing is that he'll come into a much more mature team. The young guns have seen it all now, conservative coaching, wide open coaching, turtle coaching, balanced coaching, smelly coaching.. sorry, got off-track there But anyways, they've been through a lot of ups and downs, so I think now it'll be a much more even-keeled environment, which again, should help Kuz get his bearings.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Acallabeth
2 good 4 RS

Brace yourselves.

Dynamo Moscow tries to buy Kuzya!
http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-05-03/584079/

Old
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I'm not too worried about Kuz. He has skills, he has size, and he's proven that he's willing to step up in big moments (I mean, the guy put the team on his back at WJCs). I guess he wasn't dominant in playoffs, but he wasn't invisible, either -- big difference. And for a young guy expected to lead a team that's a lot of pressure.. he'll learn. So while nobody can predict if he can be an NHL superstar, I think when he adjusts and learns the game, he's gonna be a very good player and will perform in playoffs. So at the very least he should a very nice asset for the Caps -- but of course the hope is that he can learn to produce consistently and becomes a Caps' star for many years..

Also, Oates should be a great coach for him. Enough opportunities to contribute offensively, structure to learn a balanced NHL game, and most importantly -- communicating about adjustments. I mean if Oates got Ovi to make some useful changes to his game, seems like he should be able to really help Kuz's development.

Another thing is that he'll come into a much more mature team. The young guns have seen it all now, conservative coaching, wide open coaching, turtle coaching, balanced coaching, smelly coaching.. sorry, got off-track there But anyways, they've been through a lot of ups and downs, so I think now it'll be a much more even-keeled environment, which again, should help Kuz get his bearings.
How much can he be expected to respond to coaching when an Olympic roster spot isn't on the line, though? For all the **** Semin got, Kuznetsov is the one I actually think will be a locker room problem.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
For all the **** Semin got, Kuznetsov is the one I actually think will be a locker room problem.
Based on...?

Old
05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
How much can he be expected to respond to coaching when an Olympic roster spot isn't on the line, though? For all the **** Semin got, Kuznetsov is the one I actually think will be a locker room problem.
..why??

I've read quite a bit of his interviews, and he comes across as a good kid. Cocky in a non-duche kind of way. I also haven't seen anybody else quotes as complaining about him as a teammate or something. Plus he seems a lot more outgoing than Semin, so that alone should make getting on the same page easier.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I'm not basing it on much, and could easily be wrong. It just worries me. He seems like a selfish drama queen. I wasn't trying to claim it as fact...it's just speculation but it's the vibe I get from him.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
..why??

I've read quite a bit of his interviews, and he comes across as a good kid. Cocky in a non-duche kind of way. I also haven't seen anybody else quotes as complaining about him as a teammate or something. Plus he seems a lot more outgoing than Semin, so that alone should make getting on the same page easier.
Talked to people (journalists) who have talked to him. He's a great kid.

Closed Thread