HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Adam Larsson for Jordan Eberle

Old
05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
this has been bantered about in a few different threads but I thought I'd make it its own thread.

most Devils fans probably won't want to do this, but I think the value is pretty damn fair. Edmonton needs young DMen and NJ needs scoring wingers. obviously if additions need to be made on both sides, that is possible as well.

as hard as it would be to give up on Larsson already, with the plethora of DMen we have on the team and in the system, I just might do it.
Very intersting proposal. I dont know enough about Larsson to have an opinion, but its nice to see a propsal where you give up something good to get something good.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

This is definitely what you call a "hockey trade".

Both teams would benefit, but the NJD might have to add a 3rd round pick or maybe even a 2nd to really entice the Oilers.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post

Both teams would benefit, but the NJD might have to add a 3rd round pick or maybe even a 2nd to really entice the Oilers.
Both teams would want the other to add a bit. Which probably means its fair.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post

I would even be hesitant to give up larsson for Eberle let alone add.

Last edited by spiny norman: 05-03-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: not needed
hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the point I am trying to make is that most NJ fans are crying that Lou needs to add more legit scoring threats. to do that, you're going to likely have to give up something you don't want to.

remember, Eberle is only 2 years older than Larsson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:09 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Value aside, Larsson isn't the type of D the Oilers should be targeting if they lose their minds and decide to trade Eberle. They need a left shooting puck moving D that can play top pairing minutes.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:11 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

I think this is a lost cause. Devils fans dont want to lose Larsson, and Oilers fans underrate him

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
KidLine93

I would do it. D take a while to develop and Larsson can play big minutes. He's a big body that can skate and move the puck.

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:13 PM
tempest2i
Feral

I'll drive Eberle to the airport.

I'd be so happy if this trade happened.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:17 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
the point I am trying to make is that most NJ fans are crying that Lou needs to add more legit scoring threats. to do that, you're going to likely have to give up something you don't want to.

remember, Eberle is only 2 years older than Larsson.
There are maybe 10 players in the world currently playing professional men's ice hockey would trade Adam Larsson for, Jordan Eberle is good but he is not one of those players.

You can get scoring help without giving up Larsson. Or maybe we should be dangling Brodeur as trade bait too?

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:22 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
it would be scary for NJ to take Eberle as well----there is a risk factor there with him...is he a 35-40g per year player or just a low 20 gpy player---big difference.
I'm sure someone has beat me to it, but where do you get "low 20 goal per year player"?

Even in this, his third year, while everyone bemoaned his season, he scored at a 27goal pace. Nobody who saw even 5-6 of those goals would ever worry about Eberle being a 20 goal scorer in a full (healthy) season.

And let's not forget he scored 25/34 games at the AHL level this year (for a total of 41/82 pro games)... and he's 23. One could easily argue he got cold in the second half of the year and therefore only scored at an icy 27 goal pace.

You can't teach hands and hockey sense and Ebs has both.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:29 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I'm sure someone has beat me to it, but where do you get "low 20 goal per year player"?

Even in this, his third year, while everyone bemoaned his season, he scored at a 27goal pace. Nobody who saw even 5-6 of those goals would ever worry about Eberle being a 20 goal scorer in a full (healthy) season.

And let's not forget he scored 25/34 games at the AHL level this year (for a total of 41/82 pro games)... and he's 23. One could easily argue he got cold in the second half of the year and therefore only scored at an icy 27 goal pace.

You can't teach hands and hockey sense and Ebs has both.
He played most of the season with a broken digit. His shots were always just a bit off which is very unusual for him. And he was still on pace for 27 in a full season. He is for sure the 35+ guy

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I don't know if I like it for NJ. I see Larsson as a Norris contender in the future, but maybe it's just me. I just don't value Eberle quite the same way, although it's close.
I wanted the Oil to draft Larsson. I agree he could someday be a Norris trophy winner.

But to be honest I think the balance of risk is currently favored toward Eberle. I think we've already seen his worst (30-30 pace with a broken thumb) and likely close to his best (40-40 pace). That's a pretty narrow deviation that to me says he's already a #1 winger.

Larsson... well he's a Dman, so it's no surprise that we probably won't see his best for several more years. But plenty of young promising Dmen have trended in either direction. I wouldn't doubt it if you said Larsson's already a #2dman at worst... but will his offense come? Is he Larry Robinson, Eric Brewer or Chris Phillips?

But I'm forever biased... I was at that Canada-Russia game, sitting beside his aunt, who told me he had a knack for the big goal when the chips are down.... I could never trade away a prophecy.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
I think this is a lost cause. Devils fans dont want to lose Larsson, and Oilers fans underrate him
Not sure where you read that?

Most of us followed him religiously that year and many wanted him drafted #1 until toward the end of the year.

Would you take Yakupov for him? .... you can argue that's not a fit, but certainly you couldn't say that's "underrating him"

Old
05-03-2013, 12:59 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
There are maybe 10 players in the world currently playing professional men's ice hockey would trade Adam Larsson for, Jordan Eberle is good but he is not one of those players.

You can get scoring help without giving up Larsson. Or maybe we should be dangling Brodeur as trade bait too?
How good do you think NJ will be when Larsson is at his peak? The team isn't getting any younger. I like Larsson, but if I was offered a top-line winger like Eberle for him I would easily pull the trigger

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Jonathan Harker

I'd do it from Edmonton's side.

Jonathan Harker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:14 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
How good do you think NJ will be when Larsson is at his peak? The team isn't getting any younger. I like Larsson, but if I was offered a top-line winger like Eberle for him I would easily pull the trigger
Pete is underusing him, but take him off the leash and give it 2-3 years and hes in contention fore the Norris

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post

what does this post even mean? do you think Brodeur has any kind of trade value nowadays?

and I would love to hear the only guys you'd trade Larsson for. let me guess...Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.?

Old
05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Would solve a need for both teams IMO, I can see it happening.

05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
bucks_oil

Agree... overall its a very interesting proposal (I think to both sides). It would give both GMs headaches and sleepless nights but it would definitely keep the conversation going. The type of deal where swapping two complementary role players (say a 3/4th liner to Edm for a #6 depth D to NJ) would tip the scales for both GMs to say yes.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
The Green Unit

Eberle is legit to me, that's not the problem here. But from a Devils point of view, Larsson is a middle pairing defence-man. At 20. And statically speaking, a defence-man is supposed to peak at 27.

I'm a big Lou's Kool-Aid drinker but if this trade becomes a reality, I want him fired.

The Green Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Eberle is legit to me, that's not the problem here. But from a Devils point of view, Larsson is a middle pairing defence-man. At 20. And statically speaking, a defence-man is supposed to peak at 27.

I'm a big Lou's Kool-Aid drinker but if this trade becomes a reality, I want him fired.
so after all the crap hes done recently, trading for a 22 year old LEGIT 1st line winger, when we lack scoring and have a surplus on D, THAT is what you'd want him fired for?

ok.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
RSeen

No from Devils. Probably fair value, but I just think Larrson is going to develop into a beast. Already plays a physical game and has improved his defensive game a lot. Once he gets PP time you will see his stats improve. Also he has the best break out pass on the team.

RSeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
The Green Unit

Quote:
so after all the crap hes done recently, trading for a 22 year old LEGIT 1st line winger, when we lack scoring and have a surplus on D, THAT is what you'd want him fired for?

ok.

Well Larsson is not a surplus. Zids is UFA, and most of the NHL defensive corps is gone within the next 2 seasons. And If I recall correctly, legit dmen can be offense producers too.

Defensive prospects need more time to show what's they're really made of, that is a proven fact. We could be trading a 2nd pairing kid but Larsson could peak way higher too. In terms of development he's in a similar position to a 18 years forward right now.

The Green Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
what does this post even mean? do you think Brodeur has any kind of trade value nowadays?

and I would love to hear the only guys you'd trade Larsson for. let me guess...Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.?
Despite your deflection of the topic at hand, I'll indulge you.

Obviously not 1-for-1 deals, but:

Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Alexander Ovechkin
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Claude Giroux
Jonathan Toews
Anze Kopitar
Ryan Getzlaf
Nicklas Backstrom (WAS)
Henrik Sedin

A few others I'm on the fence about.

Anyone else and I'd hang up the phone immediately.

Adam Larsson's ceiling is the best defenseman in the world regarding professional ice hockey. Whether he makes it there or not is anyone's guess (doubtful, but personally I think he'll peak at top-5 at worst). Either way, you don't give up on that player when he's 20 years old.

To call him surplus is laughable - Peter Harrold and Henrik Tallinder are surplus, not a fledgling All-Star. We have two UFA defenseman right now, and at least two who are prime candidates for amnesty buyouts, with several knocking on the door in Albany.

You get rid of faceless fodder, not cornerstone assets.

Like I said, Eberle is a damn good player, but he's not Larsson.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote