HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
05-03-2013, 12:35 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Anyway for you to try it before buying?
I don't think any of my LHS offer that.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
jordanking87

Just got my warrior widow se delivered yesterday...what a long ass stick! Im gunna have to cut off almost 4 or 5 inches and I almost never have to cut my sticks more than an inch. Im kinda stoked about though because I got the 75 flex and Ive been wanting to try a stiffer flex, so after cutting it down it should be closer to 90. Overall the stick is the most balanced stick Ive ever held and the puck feel is insane...hopefully it will hold up for at least my summer session. Definitely reccomend this stick so far!

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I don't think any of my LHS offer that.
Ah well, I've felt that the RBZ plays a little stiffer than rated and compared to other sticks. However, I would guess that an 85 would still work for you. Hard for anyone to offer an exact estimate given that 'feel' is so personal and everyone shoots/passes differently with different expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanking87 View Post
Just got my warrior widow se delivered yesterday...what a long ass stick! Im gunna have to cut off almost 4 or 5 inches and I almost never have to cut my sticks more than an inch. Im kinda stoked about though because I got the 75 flex and Ive been wanting to try a stiffer flex, so after cutting it down it should be closer to 90. Overall the stick is the most balanced stick Ive ever held and the puck feel is insane...hopefully it will hold up for at least my summer session. Definitely reccomend this stick so far!
Nah, don't worry, you are within the range of length that you can chop off without it affecting your true flex rating. The stick's Dagger Taper has it flex much lower so as a result, you can cut off several inches and still be fine. Feel will obviously be a little different, but the true flex will remain the same.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Onetimersniper28

Previous stick (last 2 years) :
-Warrior Dolomite DD clear grip, 85 flex, Draper curve : I was 14 years old at the time I bought it, and I was way too small to take fully advantage of it, but it was incredibly light and had the best puck feel of all the sticks I owned.
-Bauer Vapor X60 grip version, 87 flex P92 : Was a great stick for roofing wrist and snap shots, but it only lasted 4 months before the blade went soft and cracked on a slap shot. Big disappointment for the price (200 $ at the time)
Current stick : Bauer Total One shaft 87 flex with Total One blade P88 (later replaced with an APX blade of the same characteristics) : After a year of abuse playing ice and ball hockey (over 40 games and practices), the shaft feels the same as it did last year, still has a great kick. The TO blade broke after 9 months. I believe it is the lightest blade/shaft combo on the market, and is great for every game situation.

Next stick : I will definitely keep the same shaft, perhaps go back to the P92 or even try the ovechkin curve

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
AcidJazz

Previous sticks: Easton EQ20, CCM Vector, Easton AC 7100.

What's next: Just received my Sherwood T100 in the mail a couple days ago. First "top end" stick I have ever bought. Feel like a kid on Christmas.

First thoughts... Best looking stick out there. Red on the backhand, black on the forehand. Incredibly sharp.

It's really light, feels like a feather compared to my EQ20. It's fairly balanced, but a touch blade heavy. I got the grip version (all they had left), which I was hesitant about. I wasn't a huge fan of my nephews RS grip, but I think I'm growing to like it. It's not as sticky as the RS, just a more subtle grip.

I got the intermediate version, and it doesn't have the weird shaft dimension like how Jarick said the T90 was. It's about the same as my senior stick which is nice. I was also worried that it would be too short but it's almost at the perfect length. An inch taller than what I usually cut my sticks at. I think I'll leave it for now.

I got the Statsny curve, which I thought I'd have to adjust to, but I soon realized I had nothing to worry about. It advertises this curve as a heel curve, but it's a mid curve, almost exactly the same as my Hall.

Puck feels great on the stick, but man...it's so light... it's something I have to get used to. I'm used to having a boat anchor at the end of my stick.

No shooting or on-ice sessions yet. I'll update again when that goes down.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
PumpkinBomb

I thought i'd update on my Warrior Dolomite that i bought.

I'm really loving this stick a lot. I like the way it feels.

I don't play in a really competitive league, rather a weekly shinny with the same 30 guys. There are some ex college, Junior A/B, and ECHL players that are in the league, the offensive pace is really quick but there isn't a lot of effort on back-checking.

Anyways, i'm getting off some shots that i didn't think i had in me. This is going to sound crazy but it's like the stick has feedback (not to disimilar from golf clubs) where it's telling me what to do. (When to release etc.)

The one problem i'm having is getting used to the different length (about 3/4" shorter than my old one. I know that sounds like nothing but some passes i've been missing by about 3/4" of an inch, or taking it on my toe) And the curve is more extreme than i've used in the past. (All my shots tend to go about an inch right of usual, i've hit about 10 posts or missed the top right corner by a little bit a lot since i got it.
I'm finding if i take one step right before taking the shot i wanted (squaring me up a little better) my shots go where i want.

I'm still getting used to the stick, but so far it's the best stick i've owned. Now i need to find some new gloves. I'm fairly out of shape from where i was, and have been sweating a ton this summer and it's wrecking the palms of my gloves.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you guys want, feel free to start threads to review sticks, either as an on-going blog type review or once you've got enough experience with them to make some conclusions.

I like this thread and love the feedback on the products but it might make it easier to just split out threads for each stick so people can search them.

If you want, I can split those threads off into new threads...just let me know.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
I got the intermediate version, and it doesn't have the weird shaft dimension like how Jarick said the T90 was. It's about the same as my senior stick which is nice.
Those T100's look and feel awesome. Price is very reasonable too. WAY better than the T90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
I thought i'd update on my Warrior Dolomite that i bought.

I'm really loving this stick a lot. I like the way it feels.
Awesome! I don't know that I ever talked to anyone who disliked the Dolomites. There's a reason they were relatively unchanged for so many years.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
AcidJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you guys want, feel free to start threads to review sticks, either as an on-going blog type review or once you've got enough experience with them to make some conclusions.

I like this thread and love the feedback on the products but it might make it easier to just split out threads for each stick so people can search them.

If you want, I can split those threads off into new threads...just let me know.
I'm not opposed to doing that, although, I'm not sure if I'm the best candidate for reviewing sticks. I'm just a low division beer leaguer. You can split mine off if you wish, but leave it open for others to review and put in their experiences. My summer league starts next week, so I'll soon get some icetime to properly review this stick.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:32 AM
HOCKEYISLIFE76

You would probably do better with the RBZ it has a lot more pop in the blade and its really good for snapshots

HOCKEYISLIFE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:11 PM
thevil
The Ğĩĝģŀɱʂŧȅɼ

vCash: 112
CCM U+8 Crazy Light 85 Flex Ovechkin

I've only used it for a couple games, but so far I like it. It's sometimes odd to use after I switch from my Crazy Ovi curved stick, but it works great. I usually play with flexs more in the range of 65-75, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

CCM U+10 65 Flex Crazy Ovi

I have never used such a open faced stick before but after I learned how to keep the puck down, it is great. It's light and I can get a great shot off with it and it's very accurate.

thevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Jisatsu

Cool thread, kinda pertains to me, as I'm in that weird inbetween sticks phase.

In the past I always used Louisville sticks, usually their 2 piece sticks, and then around 2002 I switched to their one piece TPS sticks. Over the past few years those started drying up I decided to look at other brands. I tried an old ccm vector from 2005 which I absolutely hated with a passion. I switched to eastons a few years ago and have been happy since.

Easton S19, well what can I say that hasn't already been said. I had two, and they both lasted well over 2 years. First one the blade snapped off in the boards on a hit, and second one the blade just lost it's pop. Still use that one for stick handling practice, but I had no back up when that one went out.

So at the recommendation of a friend that works in a local shop, I picked up the Mako earlier this year on clearance. First impressions? My stickhandling for some reason improved greatly. I'm guessing it's the shape of the shaft as compared to the S19. It's closer to being squared as the S19 has a more roundish feel. Hard to explain. I've always used stiffer flexes, and this was my first 85flex stick I've had since high school (16 years ago...). There was a bit of a learning curve so to speak with it, but I've come to love this stick. I've read the durability of the Mako and RS line were kind of hit and miss, and the guys I play with are pretty rough, so I decided to look for a back up.

That's where the dolomite spyne DD comes in. My roommate doesn't really play that much, and buys those mystery 2 packs every once and awhile. He had the dolomite just sitting around and I've always been interested in warrior sticks, just never had a chance to try them out. So he gave it to me, I cut it down a couple inches, taped it up, took it to two games and decided that I absolutely need a grip stick. I could play with it, but I really noticed the lack of grip on the shaft.

On a whim, yesterday I bought the RS II, as I really miss my S19, and this is the closest I'll get to it. Cut it down, taped it up, went to a shooting practice with it this morning, shot about 50 pucks with it, decided to put it away for tomorrows game. First impressions, shoots better than my Mako. It's like they took the mako shaft, put the elliptical torx taper on it, then the new fangled RS blade on it and boom. I'm looking forward to playing around with it tomorrow.

And Jarick, I'll do a full review thread on the RS II after I've used it a couple weeks. I'd do one on the Mako, but it's been around awhile and they are clearance sticks. I'm not really psyched about the warrior stick, so I don't think I'd give it a fair review.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

I for whatever reason love the Sherwood T90 Slimfit with the Ryan curve. I'm 5'9 180lbs but use the 60 flex though....

It's one of the few sticks I shoot well with consistently.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Picked up the 5th pro stock stick of the year. No the others aren't broken, I am just developing a problem.

Latest is a Smith-Pelly 95 flex G3 (Custom soft/firm/soft flex profile) with a One95 blade. Couldn't have been happier to find that combo, and maybe could do with about a 90 flex. Still pleased with my first use of it. Repainted to look like a Total One with orange accents instead of gold.

Used it again today and I'm loving the flex profile. Got re-adjusted to a stiffer flex and shots started coming off hot. Absolutely love the feel of the One95 blade and the stick just feels like a tank in my hands but still light and balanced.

Tempted to pick up another one while the pro shop has them to use again if/when this one breaks. Assuming it'll be a hard thing to find again.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have you used a Nexus at all? Curious how the G3 compares to the Nexus profile.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
bad tape job

Currently using the best Easton stick ever made (IMO) SE 16 grip, Iginla, 85 flex.
I Only have two left as they are getting hard to find these days.
Have a Easton Stealth RS grip in the same pattern and flex. Used it a lot during the warranty period. Just in case. Nice stick but I don't think it will last as long as the SE 16's. When the SE's are gone I'll continue with the Stealth series unless something better comes along.
Transitioned from 100 flex Synergy ST which is a nice strong stick but a club compared to the above mentioned.
I moved away from the 100 flex because it seemed like the only way to get the benefit of the flex was to really get into it on every shot. Not possible all the time. Found that with the 85 flex I was far more accurate with as good or better velocity on wrist and snappers. I'm 6 ft. 215 lbs so it's not like I can't bend a 100 flex.

Questions: Is the Stealth RS II just a longer lasting version of the RS? i.e. blades coming apart prematurely.

For you guys that loved the SE 16's, what's the best equivalent stick you've found regardless of brand?

bad tape job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:25 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad tape job View Post
Currently using the best Easton stick ever made (IMO) SE 16 grip, Iginla, 85 flex.
Have a Easton Stealth RS grip in the same pattern and flex. Used it a lot during the warranty period. Just in case. Nice stick but I don't think it will last as long as the SE 16's. When the SE's are gone I'll continue with the Stealth series unless something better comes along.
Transitioned from 100 flex Synergy ST which is a nice strong stick but a club compared to the above mentioned.
I moved away from the 100 flex because it seemed like the only way to get the benefit of the flex was to really get into it on every shot. Not possible all the time. Found that with the 85 flex I was far more accurate with as good or better velocity on wrist and snappers. I'm 6 ft. 215 lbs so it's not like I can't bend a 100 flex.

Questions: Is the Stealth RS II just a longer lasting version of the RS? i.e. blades coming apart prematurely.

For you guys that loved the SE 16's, what's the best equivalent stick you've found regardless of brand?
The first gen mako felt most similar to the se16 to me. High kick, great load, great feeling, but not durable blade.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
FlowNoMo

Quote:

If you care, there is a guy selling a bunch of SE16s on another site I go on, Zajac pro stocks which are basically the Iginla curve, 95 flex though not 85. I can PM you the link if you'd like.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:41 AM
AIREAYE

Yes regarding the RSII question. your best bet for an se16 is probably pro stock. some say dolomite is close and specs wise they may have similar construction, bit I don't think they feel alike.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
jsykes

The new V9 is supposed to be very SE16 like. Its a non-elliptical taper and is supposed to have similar feel. I speak with Mike Ribeiro from time to time and he had been holding out using SE16s and has just tried the new V9 and says its finally a stick that he can switch to and really likes it. Look for that coming this fall.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:27 PM
bad tape job

Flowzie, thanks for the tip on the SE 16's. Yes, I would be interested in the link.
The V9 sounds interesting. I assume it's an Easton? I'm not too high on the ellipticals either. The RS is but I haven't used it enough to get an idea of it's durability. It is a very nice stick but feels brittle compared to the SE 16's.

I appreciate the responses I've received to my post.

Thank you.

bad tape job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
mako II flex...

can any of you shop workers comment on the comparison of flex feel between the mako II intermediate 65 and sr. 75? i'd read the 65 actually feels stiffer than the sr. 75 at the same length, so went to a local shop to see for myself. gently flexed both just using my hands at the length i'd play them at, and sure enough, the 65 felt ever so slightly stiffer. thoughts/comments?

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
jsykes

Quote:
The V9 sounds interesting. I assume it's an Easton? I'm not too high on the ellipticals either.
Yes, its an Easton. In the fall Easton is replacing both the Stealth and Mako lines with one line of sticks, the Velocity line. At the top you'll have the V9 and V9E. Both are the same price, the V9 being non-elliptical taper, replacing the Mako, and the V9E being the elliptical taper replacing the RSII. The new V9 is supposed to be very much like the old SE16.

I can say that the V9 is ridiculously light and had a nice balance to it. Should be an excellent stick.

The rest of the line will alternate elliptical and non-elliptical tapers are each price point.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:22 PM
DirkGrahamsMustache

I just bought a Vapor X30 87 flex p88, my first stick in nearly 10 years.

I'm pretty blah about it. It performs well enough - but I honestly want a little more performance.

I've been looking hard at the Warrior lineup, and honestly don't know the differences between the models. Can someone give me some insight on the difference between the Widow, Dolomite, Diablo etc. They are all on clearance @ hockeymonkey right now...

Last edited by DirkGrahamsMustache: 06-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.
DirkGrahamsMustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Bengerm77

Clearance is a great time of year!

I just bought my first one piece stick (over the internet) and I'm excited to give something VERY different a try. I've been playing with two piece setups I've cobbled together from cheap places and are way too stiff for somebody my size. I'm 5'7" 125 lbs, and I've been playing with 85 flex sticks. The one I just ordered this morning, is a RBK ai5 intermediate stick 65 flex.

I play defense, and I really like a long reach (I play with my stick up to the tip of my nose IN SKATES). My only concern is that if I decide that I need to put a butt end into my upcoming stick will I even be able to? Is a RBK AI whatever intermediate the same shaft dimensions as a senior, just shorter? I certainly hope so.

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote