HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel hurt?

Old
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Alflives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
There really is a Hockey God!!!
Who's in on D? Is Gardiner?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
It's all psychological for him, it happens to players where goalies or teams get into their head. He has no confidence against them.
That is true. Kessel views Chara as the bully at school that he is trying to avoid in the halls, playground and on the way home from school.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Who's in on D? Is Gardiner?
Id like to see Liles removed as well.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
That is true. Kessel views Chara as the bully at school that he is trying to avoid in the halls, playground and on the way home from school.
That's an excellent analogy. Carlyle needs to play Orr with Kessel on every 5 on 5 shift. Even play Kessel with 2 'jokers' if needs be. Then Chara will be chasing Kessel, and answering to some 'body-guards'.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

vCash: 50
I didn't bother reading the whole thread but,

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs
Carlyle: Kostka has a fractured finger. Franson a bruised foot and just a maintenance day for Kessel #TMLtalk #Leafs
If this has already been posted; lucky you, you get to read it again.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's an exaggeration. How many of the top 20 scorers in the NHL thrive when they play Zdeno Chara?
Vanek and Crosby basically. So I see your point.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:19 PM
darrylsittler27

So?

We all knew Kessel would get no goals.Oh well, no raise.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:35 PM
KesseltoLupul

Why is everyone chirping Kessel? The whole team played bad, Lupul and Kadri didn't show up and they didn't have Chara on them all game. Use some common sense before ragging on Phil.

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
mydnyte

People should put the blame where it belongs... JFJ he elected to sign Kubina, and Hall Gill instead of Chara who had the Leafs as the #1 option on his list AHEAD of the B's, but, JFJ didnt want to pony up max $$ on one player, and spent almost the same $$ on 2 instead.

JFJ ruined the Leafs. 2 horrible goalie trades, and his Non signing are why he is not a GM right now. ...and/or blame the Teachers PP and their interference in forcing JFJ to patch the team rather than scrap the team.

...and that is the simple truth.

The Leafs with Chara would not have needed to trade for a goalie, as Chara can help any goalie look like a star.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

I blame js aubin!

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:46 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
People should put the blame where it belongs... JFJ he elected to sign Kubina, and Hall Gill instead of Chara who had the Leafs as the #1 option on his list AHEAD of the B's, but, JFJ didnt want to pony up max $$ on one player, and spent almost the same $$ on 2 instead.

JFJ ruined the Leafs. 2 horrible goalie trades, and his Non signing are why he is not a GM right now. ...and/or blame the Teachers PP and their interference in forcing JFJ to patch the team rather than scrap the team.

The Leafs with Chara would not have needed to trade for a goalie, as Chara can help any goalie look like a star.
I'm not defending JFJ but the guys been gone for 5 years .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
pspot

Kessel said it himself, he needs to stick to his game and what got him here
he should never have tried to go to the net
glad it was only the once and hope he doesn't do it again

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:09 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I'm not defending JFJ but the guys been gone for 5 years .
Yep, and we are still suffering as a result ...the only worse non signing than Chara for the Leafs was Gretzky

...and i forgot about JFJ's non trade for Pronger, because he didnt want to give up Kaberle/Steen ...then the old senile goat gets us Stempniak

...sometimes i look back at all the stuff we Leafs fans have had to suffer through from the Ballard days and since, and wonder why we are so foolish to still care.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Perimeter play verses the Bruins hasn't work for him either since becoming a Leaf.

What has worked for Phil verses Boston?

05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
sommervr

I give Kessel full marks for effort. Unfortunately in the end the only thing that matters is results.

sommervr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Al14

Kessel is not injured, he just has a severe case of CharaFrightItis!

No known cure, unfortunately.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Leafswillrulesometim

Quote:
Yep, and we are still suffering as a result ...the only worse non signing than Chara for the Leafs was Gretzky

...and i forgot about JFJ's non trade for Pronger, because he didnt want to give up Kaberle/Steen ...then the old senile goat gets us Stempniak

...sometimes i look back at all the stuff we Leafs fans have had to suffer through from the Ballard days and since, and wonder why we are so foolish to still care.
Ughhh don't even remind me of JFJ.. The thought of Antropov, Ponikorovsky, Jason Blake and Lee Stempniak in our top 6 makes me want to PUKE... did management really think they could make playoffs with that kind of lineup???

He signed some of those players for the STUPIDEST reason too, they go on ONE hot-streak and JFJ thinks they're the real deal who need to be on the Leafs... I wonder how fast we would have got Marleau this year?

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Do you have a source for that version of the story? Although, I will say if indeed they lost Chara due to not going high enough, that too may have been an ownership thing rather than a GM things. Especially based on trade deadline day comments from Pat Quinn about ownership not wanting to pay Cujo's price, resulting in him leaving for Detroit.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
Ughhh don't even remind me of JFJ.. The thought of Antropov, Ponikorovsky, Jason Blake and Lee Stempniak in our top 6 makes me want to PUKE... did management really think they could make playoffs with that kind of lineup???

He signed some of those players for the STUPIDEST reason too, they go on ONE hot-streak and JFJ thinks they're the real deal who need to be on the Leafs... I wonder how fast we would have got Marleau this year?
JFJ had nothing to do with Stempniak. That was a Fletcher acquisition over six months after JFJ had been let go.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Perimeter play verses the Bruins hasn't work for him either since becoming a Leaf.

What has worked for Phil verses Boston?
sorry was being facetious, should have used green font

I thought it was funny when the positive about Kessel's game was that he tried to go to the net. I think Kessel is very talented but I hope they don't pay him to be a franchise player....just like when the Raps had the decision about Bosh. I'd rather take that step back and hopefully leads two steps forward.

Unless they can get him signed for 5.5 to 6 instead of 7+

Old
05-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
sorry was being facetious, should have used green font

I thought it was funny when the positive about Kessel's game was that he tried to go to the net. I think Kessel is very talented but I hope they don't pay him to be a franchise player....just like when the Raps had the decision about Bosh. I'd rather take that step back and hopefully leads two steps forward.

Unless they can get him signed for 5.5 to 6 instead of 7+
Apologies.

Hopefully for Leaf Nation sake Kessel can find a way to become effective against the Bruins in this series.. Otherwise , what's the use of having a top 10 NHL scorer that isn't a factor come playoff time?

His future in Toronto and his next contract are also pinned to his contributions in the playoffs. IMO

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
yeah players should stick to the same old **** so the opponent can predict what they'll do

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Id like to see Liles removed as well.
Is Liles a skin tag that needs to be removed from Carlyle's eyelid?

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Apologies.

Hopefully for Leaf Nation sake Kessel can find a way to become effective against the Bruins in this series.. Otherwise , what's the use of having a top 10 NHL scorer that isn't a factor come playoff time?

His future in Toronto and his next contract are also pinned to his contributions in the playoffs. IMO
I understand Chara and the Bruins are focusing on him and especially for this series is the secondary guys (Kadri, JVR, Lupul) that will most likely decide it but Kessel's game (speed and perimeter shots) is pretty easy to shut down and have your top paid player as essentially a decoy is setting the bar pretty low.

I"d love to see more puck possession where he controls the play/game like a Datsyuk

I'm hoping Carlyle speaks up if it is an issue and they deal him or get him at a reasonable amount.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post

We still have someone from the JFJ era...

Our goalie

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote