HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Marchand vs Stepan

View Poll Results: Who is the better overall player?
Marchand 62 57.94%
Stepan 45 42.06%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 05:27 PM
  #26
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Teeder9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Stepan is a good young player and will probably be the higher scorer throughout his career, but I'll take "The Rat" #2

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  #27
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
Stepan is a good young player and will probably be the higher scorer throughout his career, but I'll take "The Rat" #2
stepan will also probably be the better defensive player throughout his career and a far more disciplined player. the only thing that marchand did better than stepan this year was annoy other players.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
  #28
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Teeder9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
stepan will also probably be the better defensive player throughout his career and a far more disciplined player. the only thing that marchand did better than stepan this year was annoy other players.
Based on what exactly?

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
  #29
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 25,911
vCash: 50
Marchy.

__________________
It's going to be a long Summer.
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
  #30
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
So you're allowed to make excuses for Stepan but when we point out that it was also Marchands rookie year it's not relevant
Please tell me how it's relevant. And some players take longer to develop than others. Marchand developed earlier good for him (he was a lower round pick too). How is that relevant to Stepan this year? I said it was Stepan's first year and he wasn't even close to the player he is now. I'm sure Marchand improved too, but all that matters at the end is Stepan and Marchand in 2013. Instead of making empty posts laughing at how I said it was relevant you may want to tell me how it is.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  #31
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityandHabs View Post
How is this a poll question? Marchand by a country mile
Do you know anything about Stepan? Saying that a player like Marchand is better by a country mile exposes your lack of knowledge on the subject. Picking Marchand is ok, but by a country mile? Please. Stepan was better than Marchand offensively this year than Marchand has ever been. He's also an excellent defensive player. Look at the stats. Doesn't Marchand play with perhaps the best defensive forward in the league in Bergeron (I may be wrong)? That might help him in the defensive end.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
  #32
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Do you know anything about Stepan? Saying that a player like Marchand is better by a country mile exposes your lack of knowledge on the subject. Picking Marchand is ok, but by a country mile? Please. Stepan was better than Marchand offensively this year than Marchand has ever been. He's also an excellent defensive player. Look at the stats. Doesn't Marchand play with perhaps the best defensive forward in the league in Bergeron (I may be wrong)? That might help him in the defensive end.
Marchand is no slacker in the defensive side. He plays PK consistently as well. Marchand also led the Bruins in goals and points, a team with Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron, Horton, Lucic, Jagr...

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:03 PM
  #33
kammyBlazer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
I'd take any player in the NHL over Marchand. No respect for someone who tries to injure other players.

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 PM
  #34
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Marchand is no slacker in the defensive side. He plays PK consistently as well. Marchand also led the Bruins in goals and points, a team with Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron, Horton, Lucic, Jagr...
Ok, this doesn't mean anything since Stepan is great on the defensive side and PKs great, and led the Rangers with points, more points than Marchand. Either way, you can say he's better, but a "country mile"? Really? Ignorant comment by someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. There are a number of players that are better than Stepan by a country mile, Brad Marchand isn't one of them.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:59 AM
  #35
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 400
Very tough poll. I'd take Stepan's defensive ability, and Marchand in the playoffs.

Hmm, I'd go with Stepan's potential gun to my head

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:58 AM
  #36
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,214
vCash: 500
Close but Marchand.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
  #37
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
I'd take any player in the NHL over Marchand. No respect for someone who tries to injure other players.
You'd probably be a very poor GM.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
  #38
Reikai
Neutral fan
 
Reikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
Marchand but it's close.

Stepan is one of the overrated players right now IMO.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
  #39
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Marchand but it's close.

Stepan is one of the overrated players right now IMO.
How is he overrated? He's losing the poll.....

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  #40
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Marchand but it's close.

Stepan is one of the overrated players right now IMO.
On the one hand I can see why you're saying if you mean that it's too small of a sample size. Though, the way he was playing, I'd be surprised if he didn't finish with a higher PPG in an 82 game season. Also, I hope you're not thinking that he's definitely some flash in the pan. It's possible, but given his career arc it looks more probably that it's a breakout season for a 3rd year guy. Also, if you're basing it strictly on his abilities I disagree.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #41
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Ok, this doesn't mean anything since Stepan is great on the defensive side and PKs great, and led the Rangers with points, more points than Marchand. Either way, you can say he's better, but a "country mile"? Really? Ignorant comment by someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. There are a number of players that are better than Stepan by a country mile, Brad Marchand isn't one of them.
I'd be willing to bet if Stepan played on the Bruins, Marchand would still lead the team.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:11 PM
  #42
Dellstrom
The new age
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
I'd take any player in the NHL over Marchand. No respect for someone who tries to injure other players.
Yeah, who would want a 30 goal scoring 24 year old who`s great defensively? Players who can play and thrive in any situation are worthless.

Not to mention he gets under people's skins really easily, shown by you.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:44 PM
  #43
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
I'd be willing to bet if Stepan played on the Bruins, Marchand would still lead the team.
You can bet what you want, you and I have no way of proving anything either way. I guess you're insinuating that Nash was the reason for Stepan's success. Stepan and Nash didn't play all season. Nash played the best with Stepan. Stepan was more consistent than Nash. Let's not pretend like Stepan played with Nash all year. Also, the Bruins have one of the best rosters in the NHL. He wouldn't be playing with scrubs if he played for them.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
  #44
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Marchand is slightly more proven, but Stepan has been better this season than Marchand has ever been. Couple that with Stepan being the younger player and I take Stepan both right now and going forward.
This is why I voted for Stepan.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
  #45
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,025
vCash: 500
Close but a little edge to that little punk Marchand

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 AM
  #46
HyPnOtiK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Marchand pretty easily for me... That's not a knock on steps, love to have him too

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:28 PM
  #47
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You can bet what you want, you and I have no way of proving anything either way. I guess you're insinuating that Nash was the reason for Stepan's success. Stepan and Nash didn't play all season. Nash played the best with Stepan. Stepan was more consistent than Nash. Let's not pretend like Stepan played with Nash all year. Also, the Bruins have one of the best rosters in the NHL. He wouldn't be playing with scrubs if he played for them.
I'm saying if you put Stepan on a line with Bergeron/Seguin in the Bruins system he doesn't have the same stats Marchand does.

Of course there's no way to prove it, though.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
  #48
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
I'm saying if you put Stepan on a line with Bergeron/Seguin in the Bruins system he doesn't have the same stats Marchand does.

Of course there's no way to prove it, though.
Why is that? The Rangers don't exactly play an all out offensive style of play. Outside of TOI, what exactly does Stepan have over Marchand?

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
  #49
bearcountry17
Registered User
 
bearcountry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 581
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Why is that? The Rangers don't exactly play an all out offensive style of play. Outside of TOI, what exactly does Stepan have over Marchand?
But is Stepan on the Ranger's shutdown line?
And to answer your question.. shot, boardplay, more physical, harder to take off the puck, better PKer, gets under people's skin, and a better playoff performer.

bearcountry17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  #50
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcountry17 View Post
But is Stepan on the Ranger's shutdown line?
And to answer your question.. shot, boardplay, more physical, harder to take off the puck, better PKer, gets under people's skin, and a better playoff performer.
That wasn't my question. To put it better, how is Stepan put in a better situation to score points than Marchand, outside of having more TOI?

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.