HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Andrew Ebbett - The Little Engine That Couldn't

Old
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
rebel diamond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassassin9 View Post
There should be no Ebbett

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

END OF STORY!! F'in AV.
This. This this this this this.

It stacks up the second line to try and generate some offense, puts more grit on the 4th, and at least at home we can shelter Schroeder a little if we need to.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I'm not suggesting that we try it, I'm just saying that it wouldn't bother me. If the Sedin's, Burrows, Roy, and Kesler continue to float around and add zero value in G2 like they did in G1, and if the PP's as ineffective as it was last night, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Due to last night's no-show, there's not really time to baby our stars and work them through their PP problems. Get someone else in there if they can't perform under pressure.
Given our no show in game 1 there's really no time to be screwing around playing games by wasting PP's by having Ebbett on them.

05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Reign Nateo

I've known of Ebbet since he was in minor hockey as I lived in the Okanagan at the time. I never thought he'd make the NHL at all, he was an afterthought to even the players on his teams. It's a strange one, the guy does not belong at this level. Surely there were better options to obtain depth.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
What more does he bring? How would Schroeder be such an improvement over Ebbett on the 4th line?

He wouldn't, and it's total nonsense to think that he'd have any larger of an impact. Schroeder was totally and completely invisible for the bulk of his time on the Canucks when he was in a bottom-six role. Ebbett is not a bottom-six player, either, but who should go in instead? Sestito? Maybe, but is it an upgrade?

Ebbett can and should be tried on the PP if it continues to falter. He was once a very productive PP player on Anaheim, and it's worth a try if guys like the Sedin's, Kesler, and Burrows continue to play like it's a pre-season game.
I pretty much said he wouldn't be a good option on the 4th, BUT he has proven the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Put Lapierre on the 4th line... Play Schroeder with Raymond and Hansen where he was great.
This exactly, this is why he is a huge upgrade on Ebbett, he also plays tougher and goes to the dirty area's better.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:17 PM
mossey3535

The problem is that AV gets a huge mancrush on particular players and then they are played over superior options - constantly.

Ebbett is the unholy amalgam of Rome and Glass - but a foot shorter.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
mossey3535

My other problem is that for a team that is supposed to be grooming guys for the future, we aren't doing a lot of grooming up front.

Playing Ebbett has no short term or long term upside for me.

Corrado was a nice surprise and I approve of trusting him.

However, besides Kassian shoudn't we be giving the best center prospect in the system some playoff experience? Especially for a team with not much depth at center in the organization as a whole whose third line guy is an impending UFA.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
The problem is that AV gets a huge mancrush on particular players and then they are played over superior options - constantly.

Ebbett is the unholy amalgam of Rome and Glass - but a foot shorter.
At least with guys like Rome and Glass you could see he was going for the size/grit option, but Ebbett doesn't fit that mould at all so it's even more puzzling.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Sharpshooter1

Put in either Schroeder or Gaunce instead. Ebbett isn't really providing anything valuable. Can't make a play, can't finish a play, can't hit effectively, can't do really much of anything noteworthy.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:50 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
My other problem is that for a team that is supposed to be grooming guys for the future, we aren't doing a lot of grooming up front.

Playing Ebbett has no short term or long term upside for me.

Corrado was a nice surprise and I approve of trusting him.

However, besides Kassian shoudn't we be giving the best center prospect in the system some playoff experience? Especially for a team with not much depth at center in the organization as a whole whose third line guy is an impending UFA.
Exactly this... its been a problem of AV's for all these years who rather develop journeyman players who we aren't going to sign next year anyways instead of players that will effect your team for the next 5-8 years.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekla View Post
At least with guys like Rome and Glass you could see he was going for the size/grit option, but Ebbett doesn't fit that mould at all so it's even more puzzling.
it's not like Ebbett is Wellwood where he's good at faceoffs and shootouts and can play PP.

Wellwood looks like Cam Neely next to Ebbett.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Ebbett is embaressing, Id rather have Joslin playing defence than Ebbett dressing as a forward for us.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Comparing an AHLer like Ebbett to a legit NHL d-man like Rome or even a depth grinder like Glass is just ridiculous. Vigneault didn't have "man-crushes" on those players, they were just better and more reliable from game to game than the other depth options AV has been given. AV's act is wearing really thin with me too, but this whole "man-crush" stuff has always been garbage. It's not AV's fault he has had crap for depth forwards.

I'm not sure it makes a big difference as far as playing Ebbett vs. Pinner/Sestito, although on the wing I'd prefer Sestito. If AV wants to load up Kesler and Roy on one line Ebbett is really the only option left for fourth line center. Unless they want to give Gaunce a shot. I doubt it could hurt to try him for one game.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
Comparing an AHLer like Ebbett to a legit NHL d-man like Rome or even a depth grinder like Glass is just ridiculous. Vigneault didn't have "man-crushes" on those players, they were just better and more reliable from game to game than the other depth options AV has been given. AV's act is wearing really thin with me too, but this whole "man-crush" stuff has always been garbage. It's not AV's fault he has had crap for depth forwards.

I'm not sure it makes a big difference as far as playing Ebbett vs. Pinner/Sestito, although on the wing I'd prefer Sestito. If AV wants to load up Kesler and Roy on one line Ebbett is really the only option left for fourth line center. Unless they want to give Gaunce a shot. I doubt it could hurt to try him for one game.

Honestly I think Gaunce could probably step into a 4th line role and do better as long as it's for ~ 8 minutes.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but where's Alex Bolduc when you need him?

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I've known of Ebbet since he was in minor hockey as I lived in the Okanagan at the time. I never thought he'd make the NHL at all, he was an afterthought to even the players on his teams. It's a strange one, the guy does not belong at this level. Surely there were better options to obtain depth.

I wonder what he has on mike gillis and AV. what ever it is, it must be good.

Garth Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Honestly I think Gaunce could probably step into a 4th line role and do better as long as it's for ~ 8 minutes.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but where's Alex Bolduc when you need him?
Gaunce doesn't have the foot speed yet. I think Lain would be a better fit to jump him at this point and time.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:46 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

I'm no Ebbett fan but I like him better as a 4th line centre than a 4th line winger

MrShift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
David71

hes been stapled to the bench for the entire 2nd..

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:56 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
hes been stapled to the bench for the entire 2nd..
3:26 total ice time. i don't think he's going to play in OT either.... which will tire us out. That's bad when you have 3 lines in a series that is physical and can go 7 games.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:08 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
3:26 total ice time. i don't think he's going to play in OT either.... which will tire us out. That's bad when you have 3 lines in a series that is physical and can go 7 games.
then whats the point of having him in the lineup??>.... might as well have ballard.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:57 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

At all those who have crapped on Ebbett. The guy didn't even get to play in the 3rd period. AV shortened his bench when he didn't have to. Championship caliber teams can roll 4 lines but we choose to sit one when we have the lead.

Weise-Ebbett-Kassian had some damn nice shifts in the opposing zone.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:53 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Said it before, and I'll say it again - much bigger problems than Andrew 4th line/spare player Ebbett. Much, much bigger. Namely, AV actually playing him in an everyday role. What do you guys expect from Ebbett when he isn't suited for such a role, excel greatly? Sheesh.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
then whats the point of having him in the lineup??>.... might as well have ballard.
Exactly. It's like taking a lineup spot, and throwing it in the trash just for fun.

On any given night, the rules permit us to dress 18 skaters. If we don't have 18 skaters actually worth dressing...we've got problems.

There is just no point to dressing a guy like Ebbett, who doesn't do anything well...for 3:26 of ice time per game. It's stupid and pointless, no matter how hard the lil guy tries.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:51 PM
moog35

Ebbett scratched for this game and wouldn't you know it the 4th line has looked better through two periods than it has in the first two games.

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:51 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Ebbett scratched for this game and wouldn't you know it the 4th line has looked better through two periods than it has in the first two games.
It kills AV to see that.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:56 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
i think it's sad that our 4th line can cycle better than any of our other lines, sedins included who seem to have forgotten that you actually need to skate to cycle effectively

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote