HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges $3.9M/6 years Bad Contract or Good?

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

vCash: 500
What a great performance by our #2 d-man yesterday!

I guess he should've spent less time stretching his tongue in the lockout and more time training the other parts of his body, eh?

Old
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Adriatic

I know a lot of people here love Georges and what he brings to the team but I personally can't stand him. I don't even find him that good defensively. I started looking at him very closely a couple of months ago, seriously looking at every shift he takes..he's not that good. People should look at him more closely and they would realize he's always falling down, I don't think a shift goes by when he's not stumbling or laying on the ice. He can't handle big players, he's not speedy, he doesn't hit much. Yes he's brave enough to block shots with his head and ankles and whatever, most of those happen because he's always out of position and he's always on the floor. Guys like him are 6th D on stanley cup winning teams. I don't think he would even crack the Kings or Blues lineup.

Offensively he's not even worth discussing. The play just dies when he has the puck in the neutral or offensive zone. Only thing he could do is rim it around the boards, pathetic. He can't even take a decent slap shot on net when he has the time. But hey we give him 4 million per.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:47 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I know a lot of people here love Georges and what he brings to the team but I personally can't stand him. I don't even find him that good defensively. I started looking at him very closely a couple of months ago, seriously looking at every shift he takes..he's not that good. People should look at him more closely and they would realize he's always falling down, I don't think a shift goes by when he's not stumbling or laying on the ice. He can't handle big players, he's not speedy, he doesn't hit much. Yes he's brave enough to block shots with his head and ankles and whatever, most of those happen because he's always out of position and he's always on the floor. Guys like him are 6th D on stanley cup winning teams. I don't think he would even crack the Kings or Blues lineup.

Offensively he's not even worth discussing. The play just dies when he has the puck in the neutral or offensive zone. Only thing he could do is rim it around the boards, pathetic. He can't even take a decent slap shot on net when he has the time. But hey we give him 4 million per.
Dirty Danglez will come here and tell you that you don't know what you're talking about though, since Gorges, according to him and some other people here, is a top-3 d-man everywhere in the league, and a top-2 in many teams

Seriously. Our blueline makeover this summer has to start by him getting traded and us acquiring a guy capable of bringing SOMETHING.

You saw the block attempt yesterday? Sure I was frustrated at Price being weak on that one. But Gorges sure didn't help him. What the hell was that attempt anyway?

Old
05-03-2013, 10:53 AM
couris

hes a #6. candidate for buyout

Old
05-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
hes a #6. candidate for buyout
lol, no. not at all.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
lol, no. not at all.
People keep saying we don't know **** when we criticize Gorges, but keep failing to bring tangible evidence of what he brings to this team. And we all saw yesterday it's not always a good thing that he keeps trying to block shots. And it's an even worst thing that we're paying top money for this crap, especially when our D-core is in huge need of an identity.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
the

I was a huge fan of Georges when he first came here . He was a true underdog and doing a great job. For the past 3 years, he turned into a underrated player to a overrated player. People want this guy to be a captain, unbelievable! He's nothing more than bottom feeder who for some reason think he's a valuable player.

He's a wannabe leader who says all the right things in front of the camera but is nowhere near a difference maker on the ice but for some reason he's valuable.

Can't wait to get rid of this overrated player!

Old
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My thoughts are well noted, he's overrated and replaceable. However, try the 'Josh Gorges Drinking Game' one night. Take one drink every time he dumps it into the corner in the offensive zone, rather than putting it on net. You'll be drunk by the middle of the 2nd period.

He has the offensive instinct of Robert Dirk, yet he continues to get time on the PP for some reason.
I stand by my remarks!

Old
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I stand by my remarks!
That drinking game is deadly.

But once again: Gorges is good at what he is. If anything he has been hurt by being trumped as some legendary leader of the defense because he talks a lot and blocks shots. He is not a top 2 D. He's the best choice to partner Subban on the top pairing, but that says more about - a. how good Subban is and b. what we have.

Giving him a 6 year contract without him taking less money was not one of Gauthier's better moves. But he's not a liability IF he's treated for what he is. A middle of the road role player. He also is fine with the "A", giving him the "C" would result in even more misplaced hostility against him.

Last edited by Et le But: 05-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Price My Man Crush

Every player in the NHL has at one time or another a bad year. Chill out guys, just relax...I'm sure he will come back stronger than ever.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That drinking game is deadly.

But once again: Gorges is good at what he is. If anything he has been hurt by being trumped as some legendary leader of the defense because he talks a lot and blocks shots. .
I swear, he is causing more harm than good by 'trying' to block shots these days. He gets out of position, he can't recover, and he deflects pucks onto Price.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
kernkraft

With every D healthy, it's pretty simple really:

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Tinordi
Gorges
Bouillon
Diaz

Those are our top-7 dmen (in no particular order). Who do you sit?

Old
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Tinordi
Gorges
Bouillon
Diaz

I'd sit Gorges and Diaz and sign Darche as an extra forward

Old
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Tinordi
Gorges
Bouillon
Diaz

As of now? Diaz. If he was playing like he did pre-injury? Bouillon.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:34 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Every player in the NHL has at one time or another a bad year. Chill out guys, just relax...I'm sure he will come back stronger than ever.
Chill out relax Price is going to finally live up to his potential
Chill out relax Gorges has been less than ordinary for two years but he'll bounce back to a level he never got at to begin with
Chill out relax Desharnais and Bouillon are always the ones to get blamed...

This **** if getting ****ing old here. The way Gorges plays right now for 4M a year is unforgivable. I swear, if it was Bouillon who played like that for 4M per season, you'd see tons of hate posts around here about how we got to get rid of him asap.

I said we should trade Diaz or Gorges this summer to make some room for some big bodies. I stand by what I said. They're disgusting to watch right now.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
As of now? Diaz. If he was playing like he did pre-injury? Bouillon.
He played well before the Eller thing, after that he was compeltely off.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Bad contract. I thought so when we signed him. I think so now.

He can't pass. He can't shoot. He's not a particularly good skater. He can't clear the front of the net, or make bone-crunching hits either. Basically, he's not very good at hockey. But hey, he can block shots and he takes hit after hit in the corners like no other. OK, let's give him nearly 4M per year for being a sadist!

However, despite him being one of the most overrated (and overpaid) players in the NHL, what really got me to dislike Gorges were his d-bag comments during the lockout and during the Subban contract negotiations. He also seems to see himself as a great leader and doesn't miss an occasion to speak up to share his clichés with the media.

It's too bad Kaberle has to be dealt with, cuz Josh would have been a prime buyout candidate in my book.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:52 PM
LePoche69

I'm glad to see I'm not alone thinking Gorges is overrated. I say it for the last 2 years.

I like the guy and I like his intengibles. But c'mon! How seriously can someone state he's a top 4 d-man? The only thing he does good is blocking shot. He's average or below average in every other sapect of the game.

And as a #6 d-man, given his salary, I would personnaly prefer a d-man that block less shot but who can clear the net and occasionnaly drop the gloves.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
He played well before the Eller thing, after that he was compeltely off.
Yeah. The Eller hit affected Diaz big time. And that's exactly what MacLean noticed, and that's why he was blaming him after the game for the hit. He's playing in his head, hoping he will keep being fragile the rest of the series.

I hope the coaching staff told Diaz the pass was dangerous, but I also hope they try to motivate him.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Laboeuf

Not really a fan of Gorges nor do I hate him, he seems like he's always off balance. I think his skating is not NHL level. When he played with Hal Gill he wasn't this bad.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Tyson

I know he struggled down the stretch but I like Gorges

Old
05-07-2013, 11:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Subban was worse than Gorges the last 2 years. This year he's taken his game up a couple of notches.
He said this.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
When he shot that puck at Turris, I lost every ounce of respect I had for him, even though it wasn't much.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:48 AM
coolasprICE

The Gorges that we knew against the Caps and Pens a few years back is no longer with us. He's gone, forever. I'm convinced.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:03 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

WTF happened to this guy?

He's became so soft along the boards, couldn't throw a hit to save his life and has been an all-around negative player all season long. He regressed by a large margin. And is it me or does he have character issues? Remember when he shot the puck at Prust (I think) in a practice? I know the pack didn't touch anybody, but you could see he wasn't ****ing around. And of course he proceeds to do the same to Turris, which I honestly thought was classless.

What dumbfounds me is that he was being played on the PP by MT in front of guys like Emelin, despite his crystal-clear ineffectiveness. Supidat?

Closed Thread