HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 4: The 2013 Playoffs Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
That is not true at all. Unless you are referring to game 6 of the Cup Final.
As far as this series goes, the Kings have 2 goals in 2 games.
Carter has 8 SOG in 2 games, so he is getting some chances. twice as many as their rumored best player Anze Kopitar.
So now he is a shot leader and not a goal scorer? Do shots alone help you win on the scoreboard? He has to score..he is their leading goal scorer. Anyway, he is streaky so I won't be surprised he gets a hat trick in one of the games going forward....

Old
05-03-2013, 12:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
No not really...he has to FINISH (score) and I'm sure he would say the same thing. He used to say it with the Flyers..I remember in an initial playoff series (Buffalo I think) he wasn't scoring and was frustrated and said his job was to score goals and he wasn't doing it. He is the team's leading goal scorer so they need him to score. I mean I understand that the Blues are neutralizing a lot of the team but when you look at why LA is down 2 games to 0 you have to look at why. If for some reason Carter doesn't get any goals this series you can't just explain it away. That goes for Doughty like you note...
So let me get this straight. if you are facing a goalie who is standing on his head and no matter what you do you cant score goals its all the shooters fault for failing? Do we ever give credit to the other guy for just being better? or do we just bring up that stupid choke word again like the haters love to bring up.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
So now he is a shot leader and not a goal scorer? Do shots alone help you win on the scoreboard? He has to score..he is their leading goal scorer. Anyway, he is streaky so I won't be surprised he gets a hat trick in one of the games going forward....
you cant score goals if you dont shoot the puck. Elliot has been great.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
No not really...he has to FINISH (score) and I'm sure he would say the same thing. He used to say it with the Flyers..I remember in an initial playoff series (Buffalo I think) he wasn't scoring and was frustrated and said his job was to score goals and he wasn't doing it. He is the team's leading goal scorer so they need him to score. I mean I understand that the Blues are neutralizing a lot of the team but when you look at why LA is down 2 games to 0 you have to look at why. If for some reason Carter doesn't get any goals this series you can't just explain it away. That goes for Doughty like you note...
How exactly do you "finish" more? Carter is doing everything he can. Elliott has made some great saves on him. He can't just shoot through the goaltender's hands. At this point all Carter can really do is hope they just start going in; he's putting in the work.

Doughty, on the other hand, hasn't looked nearly as active. I don't think he's doing as much as he can. He's not getting stonewalled, he just hasn't been as involved as he was last year.

05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
you cant score goals if you dont shoot the puck. Elliot has been great.
And Carter needs to be greater..that's how you beat your opponents

Old
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If they suspend Gryba for that clean shoulder to the chest hit, they might as well just ban contact altogether and call it the National Ringette League.
He hit Eller in the chin.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
And Carter needs to be greater..that's how you beat your opponents
when you are facing a hot goalie there isnt much you can do. you have been watching hockey a long time havent you?

Old
05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
How exactly do you "finish" more? Carter is doing everything he can. Elliott has made some great saves on him. He can't just shoot through the goaltender's hands. At this point all Carter can really do is hope they just start going in; he's putting in the work.

Doughty, on the other hand, hasn't looked nearly as active. I don't think he's doing as much as he can. He's not getting stonewalled, he just hasn't been as involved as he was last year.
Do you expect him to finish and get goals this series? I'm sure LA fans do otherwise they will have a hard time coming back. That is all I'm saying..shots alone won't cut it and you don't advance on effort alone..you need tangible results.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
when you are facing a hot goalie there isnt much you can do. you have been watching hockey a long time havent you?
Yes and have played it as well..sure I have lamented about goalies stoning me and the rest of the team but after the frustration and emotion subsides I realize I should have done better and just didn't get the job done although I wasn't exactly the Rocket Richard or 1x 40 goal scorer Jeff Carter for that matter on my teams...

Old
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Principal point of contact = hip. Follow through was head, primarily due to Eller being smaller. Gryba kept his shoulder down, elbow tucked. It was a clean hit by the book. Shouldn't have even been a penalty.

05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Yes and have played it as well..sure I have lamented about goalies stoning me and the rest of the team but after the frustration and emotion subsides I realize I should have done better and just didn't get the job done although I wasn't exactly the Rocket Richard or 1x 40 goal scorer Jeff Carter for that matter on my teams...
well then sometimes you just tip your hat to the other guy for just being better then you. these 2 teams are pretty evenly matched. The Blues have gotten a couple of bounces go there way and that has been the difference.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Principal point of contact = hip. Follow through was head, primarily due to Eller being smaller. Gryba kept his shoulder down, elbow tucked. It was a clean hit by the book. Shouldn't have even been a penalty.
i think you quoted the wrong person
but I do agree with you. I dont think there should be a suspension.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Sometimes the goalie is just better. Halak shut down two of the best offenses in the NHL practically on his own. If someone is doing the best they can, they have to just keep doing their best and hope to break through.

Or in Carter's case,I guess he can finally learn how to fire on one-timers to become a seriously PP threat. It's a little late and a little unreasonable to suddenly pick up that skill though.

Edit: At the end of the day, Carter is doing the right things and appears to be doing his best. The goalie has just had answers. I don't think you can ask for much more than that. If he were an invisible nonfactor out there that would be one thing, but he's not.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I don't think Gryba should be suspended either. Although, I think you do have to call that major on the ice given the result. Not that result should be black-and-white, but that's how it is, and officials are told to call it that way.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Edit: At the end of the day, Carter is doing the right things and appears to be doing his best. The goalie has just had answers. I don't think you can ask for much more than that. If he were an invisible nonfactor out there that would be one thing, but he's not.
That's all well and good but at the end of the day results matter not just effort especially when you are paid to get results. I know it sucks but it's a dog eat dog world ...

Old
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Gryba's hit was similar to the Campbell hit on Umberger which most people loved.
Umberger was caught admiring a pass. Eller was put in a bad spot because of a suicide pass.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't think Gryba should be suspended either. Although, I think you do have to call that major on the ice given the result. Not that result should be black-and-white, but that's how it is, and officials are told to call it that way.
The result being all the blood? Cause I remember when Erskine leveled Simmonds with an elbow to the head in February and the refs didn't even call a minor penalty.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Two game suspension for OTT's Eric Gryba.
Source: Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Shanny's lost his mind.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:24 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Holy ****; Gryba got two games. That is possibly the worst suspension I can remember. Shanny better start suspending any player that injures another in a hockey play.

That was a clean hit and the major and game misconduct were already harsh punishments.

05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Krishna

#FreeGryba

Old
05-03-2013, 02:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Shanny's lost his mind.
Shanny has no mind...why is this surprising? He has the integrity of Bernie Madoff and the consistency of oatmeal ...

This is what happens when you appoint a Czar by decree....

Old
05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Krishna

Montreal typical

Old
05-03-2013, 02:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Shanny has no mind...why is this surprising? He has the integrity of Bernie Madoff and the consistency of oatmeal ...

This is what happens when you appoint a Czar by decree....
I know but I would say that's his worst ruling to date. He was using the typical HFboards poster logic: injury = dirty hit.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
SuchySays

wow. insanity.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The result being all the blood? Cause I remember when Erskine leveled Simmonds with an elbow to the head in February and the refs didn't even call a minor penalty.
That's because they were stupid.

Shanahan lost control of this a long time ago. No one knows the standard. Might as well bring back Coward Colie.

Closed Thread