HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

(4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Los Angeles Kings - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 12:30 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
He obviously talks to the players. Earlier in the article he says, "Perron told me after the game he loves playing with T.J. Oshie as he feels no other player on the roster compliments his game better."

Did he make this up to?
Probably not but did he really ask that question or is it his 2 cents? Anyways...im moving on because the topic is ridiculous and other fans on your team seem to agree with what im saying as well.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Funny, I'm a Kings fan and it's beginning to look to me like there might be something to that point of view. Face it, over the last month or so, his decisions when it comes to physicality and where the line is or should be have been very suspect. I -want- him to play with an edge, because that's when he's the most effective, and why the other teams' fans hate him so much... but this has gone past playing with an edge. I hope he figures out the right balance before someone gets hurt, whether intentionally or not -- and that 'someone' could be Brown himself if he makes the wrong decision (saying he might hurt himself, not that he'd be beat up or anything like that, calm down people).

I'm just not that happy with his play - and that's been building for at least the last month. I'm not going to blindly defend him just because he's in the right colors and wears the "C". I won't utter one word of complaint if Brown were to be suspended for Game Three -- I don't think he will be, but the optics of that elbow less than two full games back from an elbow-related suspension are VERY bad. I'm a fan enough of HOCKEY (more than just of the Kings) to realize and publicly admit that.
Hans, this is pretty much exactly what I said in a post shortly after that one. Again, I'm far from thrilled with the play.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Firenze
Robynho

Stupid play by Brown on Schwartz, there was no need for that.

Last edited by Firenze: 05-03-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Borwn lost an edge when he hit Elliott, so that play just wound up being an innocent collision (that still provided Blues fans a scary moment re: Elliott).

That said, if he hadn't lost that edge, does anyone think he would have just pulled up at the crease? He was driving in hard.

When Brown is delivering clean hits and when he's playing with the skill he obviously has he's great to watch (against teams that aren't mine). Too often he crosses the line into the cheap stuff, too often he dives. If he needs to do that to "get more involved" then he's apparently not that impressive a player. The really good ones don't need the crap in their game.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Borwn lost an edge when he hit Elliott, so that play just wound up being an innocent collision (that still provided Blues fans a scary moment re: Elliott).

That said, if he hadn't lost that edge, does anyone think he would have just pulled up at the crease? He was driving in hard.

When Brown is delivering clean hits and when he's playing with the skill he obviously has he's great to watch (against teams that aren't mine). Too often he crosses the line into the cheap stuff, too often he dives. If he needs to do that to "get more involved" then he's apparently not that impressive a player. The really good ones don't need the crap in their game.
Not at all. I think he was cutting hard to the front, doubt he would have let up, but I also doubt he would have slammed Elliott. Likely would have made contact when he bumped into the chasing defenseman, though. Hell, now that I think about it, his slide-tackle there might have been a best-case scenario!

That looked *really bad* at first, I felt awful for Elliott.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Funny, I'm a Kings fan and it's beginning to look to me like there might be something to that point of view. Face it, over the last month or so, his decisions when it comes to physicality and where the line is or should be have been very suspect. I -want- him to play with an edge, because that's when he's the most effective, and why the other teams' fans hate him so much... but this has gone past playing with an edge. I hope he figures out the right balance before someone gets hurt, whether intentionally or not -- and that 'someone' could be Brown himself if he makes the wrong decision (saying he might hurt himself, not that he'd be beat up or anything like that, calm down people).

I'm just not that happy with his play - and that's been building for at least the last month. I'm not going to blindly defend him just because he's in the right colors and wears the "C". I won't utter one word of complaint if Brown were to be suspended for Game Three -- I don't think he will be, but the optics of that elbow less than two full games back from an elbow-related suspension are VERY bad. I'm a fan enough of HOCKEY (more than just of the Kings) to realize and publicly admit that.
1)good post and very true

2)the "try to run Elliott" statement is bs, he's not to blame for everything just because of his rep

3)now I dare to ask: do you feel comfortable having him as captain? obviously he does a lot of things right and he brought you the cup but I see at least 3 guys on your team who have more captain material than him

Old
05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

What a game last night.. loving the Blues chances from here on out

Old
05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post

3)now I dare to ask: do you feel comfortable having him as captain? obviously he does a lot of things right and he brought you the cup but I see at least 3 guys on your team who have more captain material than him
Good question, and I would say an emphatic yes. The guy is a King by draft and career, has grown up in the org so to speak, and does immense things for the team and community. He's a fireball on the ice and leads by example. It's only recently his actions have started truly crossing the line, but I still think he'll rein that in as his heart is most certainly in the right place; of that I have no doubt. Think of it this way--if Backes got suspended twice in quick succession, would you second-guess him?

But now that you mention it, I wonder if that's why we naturally get so defensive when people attack his character.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

So when exactly did the Blues get this good? I wanted the Kings to play them because they were supposed to be an easier matchup than Vancouver or Sharks. Already regretting that line of thought now

Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Richie10

Brown was the only Kings' forward last night with any kind of zip to his game. That is exactly why he's captain. He also led the team in our Cup run last season in points (tied with Kopitar). There's something to be said for that.

Brown's game will always draw ire and attention because he plays on the edge. I'm willing to give Brown the benefit of the doubt as far as being a "dirty" player goes. I feel like "dirty" players (Cooke circa 2010, Torres, etc.) make suspendable plays in which intent is fairly clear and there's a corresponding history. I've never seen Brown intentionally try to hurt a guy and I've been watching him since he was 18 years old. He's just not that kind of person.

Now, there's a very clear argument to be made for Brown being a "careless" player, which will also result in injuries and suspendable plays. But I think playing carelessly is a completely different thing than playing dirty. To be perfectly honest, and other Kings' fans will back me up on this, the "dirtiest" player we have on the roster is, wait for it, Jarret Stoll. He's constantly getting away with little slashes, slewfoots, charges, etc. There's intent in the way Stoll plays and tries to hurt guys. But there is a very clear distinction in the way Stoll physically engages the oppostion versus Brown. Brown, however, draws the attention because he's the captain and Stoll's a third line center.

As far as the series go, full credit to the Blues. They look exactly like we did last season. The Kings defense is just demonstratively worse than the Blues' right now and there's really no difference. Outside of Doughty, we haven't had a guy that can consistently move the puck out of our own zone and generate a breakout. Once the forwards can actually get set up in the offensive zone, we saw last night that they can cycle and generate some decent chances. But good offense always starts with a good defensive breakout, and the Blues forechecking is just too good for the Kings' inexperienced D. The veteran guys we do have (Regehr and Scuderi) happen to have zero offensive acumen, so that doesn't help, either. Voynov is a second year player with barely 82+ full games of experience, Muzzin is a flat out rookie, and Ellerby has never played games to this magnitude.

The Kings' inexperience on the blueline has been a black eye this series and the reason they're down 0-2.

The series isn't over, but I just don't have a lot of faith at this point. Without a solidified blueline (something we had the best of last season) the Kings can't run their puck possession game to its potential. We also haven't scored a goal 5 on 5 yet, and the Kings are officially 0-5-3 on the road over their last 8 games. Almost the polar opposite of last season.

I suspect that the Kings will make a good series out of this on pride and sheer skill alone, but the Blues have been the better team so far by a fair margin. It is what it is.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Oshie97

Game 3 should be watched by all hockey fans, this series is exactly what I think of when talking about playoff hockey. Will be interesting to see what match ups Sutter will want being at home, gotta think he will try to get Kopitar away from Backes. I'm hoping Elliott is 100% as he didn't skate out when announced as the 2nd star of the game.

Come on Blues fans, Brown was dirty with the elbow and knee hit but in no way was be looking to crash into Elliott. He looked pretty shook up on the play as well, he slid hard into that goalpost.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Good question, and I would say an emphatic yes. The guy is a King by draft and career, has grown up in the org so to speak, and does immense things for the team and community. He's a fireball on the ice and leads by example. It's only recently his actions have started truly crossing the line, but I still think he'll rein that in as his heart is most certainly in the right place; of that I have no doubt. Think of it this way--if Backes got suspended twice in quick succession, would you second-guess him?

But now that you mention it, I wonder if that's why we naturally get so defensive when people attack his character.
Brown is a good player no doubt, needs to stay away from the iffy hits though. I think I would want Doughty as the captain over him though.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:27 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
1)good post and very true

2)the "try to run Elliott" statement is bs, he's not to blame for everything just because of his rep

This is so silly. Players are captains for what happens OFF the ice. Have you ever played an organized sport at any level before?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Brown is a good player no doubt, needs to stay away from the iffy hits though. I think I would want Doughty as the captain over him though.
I bet you would, as a fan of an opposing team.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
Everybody is focusing on Brown's missed elbow, but what about his reckless play to the net and colliding with Elliott?
Brown lost an edge and hit the goal post. Elliot hurt himself flopping... Christ.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball View Post
I bet you would, as a fan of an opposing team.
Have any reason why Doughty wouldn't be a good captain? He logs tons of minutes, plays real solid, and looks like he's a good teammate.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

I already did think about him and Backes, thats exactly why I asked my questions

I'm a hugh Backes fanboy, I love physical, hard working captains that lead by example on and off the ice. thats exactly what Brown does, too

the difference can be pointed out pretty good in the Regehr accident in game 1: when he got injured Backes stopped playing and made signs to the refs that they should stop the play too. in the o-zone when the Blues had the puck

some fellow Blues fan posted afterwards something like this: Brown would take the opportunity with a d down and go for the easy goal while laughing to the Blues bench when we skating by celebrating

IMO the better captains care, respect the game and the players, not only the guys from the own team.

now I don't say Backes is the best or does everything well, I don't want this to get a captain-comparison started at all (I honestly think this Brown stuff already gets too much space in this thread)....I just think there are better guys than him on your team

Old
05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Have any reason why Doughty wouldn't be a good captain? He logs tons of minutes, plays real solid, and looks like he's a good teammate.
He's a goofball? Refer to my post above. Have you played a team sport?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Brown lost an edge and hit the goal post. Elliot hurt himself flopping... Christ.
Elliott's leg got caught under Brown while falling,not all Blues fans are saying it was intentional by Brown.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
He's immature.

Brown is a great captain. The guy never takes shifts off, always plays 100%. If goalies could wear the C I think Quick would be a great one, but that can't happen. Everyone needs a player like Brown, whether people like him or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo
some fellow Blues fan posted afterwards something like this: Brown would take the opportunity with a d down and go for the easy goal while laughing to the Blues bench when we skating by celebrating
Yeah, and that's BS. And it's not like Backes is an innocent boy either. I seem to remember him running over Justin Williams well after he scored an empty net goal and was a defenseless player. Part of the problem here is that people think other players on other teams are dirty when they have guys on their team who would do the same **** without question if it meant they would win. 90% of players in the NHL would. And then everyone complains about a suspension when it actually happens and the guy makes a hit that he thinks is the best thing for his team. That makes no sense to me, this is a physical league with players allowed to hit each other. That's just hockey. You won't see me complaining about that Perron hit because I don't care if Penner got elbowed. That's playoff hockey.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzinga View Post
So when exactly did the Blues get this good? I wanted the Kings to play them because they were supposed to be an easier matchup than Vancouver or Sharks. Already regretting that line of thought now
From the looks of it, the JBo trade did everything it was supposed to for the Blues and more. He's been an incredible addition to that left side. I think the OT goal by Quick in game 1 did wonders for the team's confidence, and combined with the motivation of proving they have a shot to themselves, the Blues have looked very strong these past two games.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
No. Elliott had his right leg pinned under Brown. That being said, after watching the replay, it's easy to see Brown lost an edge. I don't blame him on the play at all.

However, he did pin Ells leg against the post and when Ells tried moving his leg it buckled under Brown. It's a scary moment for sure but it's not Brown's fault.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:48 PM
pucky

The excuses about Brown in this thread is disgraceful. He's a dirty player. He might be intense and has a lot of drive and determination in the games but he's also dirty.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Can I just mention that I hate how right I was to be concerned about the Kings' road record this season?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball View Post
This is so silly. Players are captains for what happens OFF the ice. Have you ever played an organized sport at any level before?
oh the "you don't know nothing if you don't play card", but yeah, I did and still do.

and I think its silly to say it JUST does count what he does off the ice, I'm pretty sure the most posters agree that it's pretty important to have a C who also leads ON the ice

Closed Thread