HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
  #151
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Danny Dekeyser gone for the season due to a hand/thumb injury.

Sucks for the DRW. Kid was playing 2nd pairing minutes and not looking out of place at all, even without a veteran partner to shelter him.

He's miles ahead in terms of being an NHL defender when compared to Justin Schultz - has perfectly slid into that top-4 role and was looking better than Kronwall thus far in the series.

Huge loss for them, I doubt White/Coliacovo can come in and hold the fort down like he did.
Whatever you say DSF.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
  #152
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
harpoon's gotta be hurting tonight. Big hug, buddy.
Didn't watch the game. But thanks for thinking of me

harpoon is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
  #153
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Last nights games should once again demonstrate how much better the WC is then the East. Anybody watching LA/STL last night would have to say that those 4/5 clubs would give anybody in the East fits. LA was on their game and still lost to a very good blues team.

Not sure how many people remember me saying calm down when the Oilers were losing games to the excellent StL Blues. I said at the time Blues were a contender. They stumbled a bit after that but the Blues are back.

That said the Blues needed the W last night. LA will still be hard to push off the cliff if Quick gets his game back. LA was the better club last night and lost. At home they'll be better yet.

What we do know is that the Kings can play a whole playoffs at this pace. We don't know that about the Blues who are perhaps the more inconsistent club in big games.

Game 3 is huge.

Detroit/Anaheim was a treat as well. Again demonstrating how much stronger the west is. Detroit, in 7th place, would give most of the teams in the East a run for their money. I thought Howard had a brutal 3rd period. Lost to the commentators is he got beat for 3 goals but also gave up a couple of posts and almost allowed a goal from the goal line. Sure the Wings collapsed a bit but Howard had a bigtime meltdown. At the same time the Ducks were getting some enormous saves from Hiller. The Datsyuk chance in the 3rd and another couple saves were great.

Replacement is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  #154
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He was barely playing 2nd line minutes. Only reason he was playing that much is because they have no d. RNH looked like a good fit his first 15 games too.

Nothing against the kid, but I don't get the hype.
He doesn't have the explosive offensive potential of Schultz, but he has veteran-like presence in the Wings top-4, on the same "no D" team that posted its lowest GAA in years, without Lidstrom.

Before the injury he was #3 in ES TOI amongst Wings dmen behind Kronwall and Kindl. Looks very poised with and without the puck in his own zone, and is able to deal with the big Anaheim forwards with minimal difficulty.

Still some rookie mistakes though, which Kindl and Smith have been making as well, but it's remarkable how he's quickly surpassed Smith on their depth chart.

Before the injury, if I had to assess DRW dmen:

Ericsson>DD>Kronwall>Smith>Quincey>Smith

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  #155
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Didn't watch the game. But thanks for thinking of me
Its selective timing anyway. Souray has been great addition to the Ducks. Not sure anybody could say any different.

Gotta say this as well that I've rarely seen this degree of tenacity in Cogliano. Did he train at the same place as Gagner last summer?

In anycase its interesting to see what real teams are looking like. I know a lot of people peg the Hawks but theres a lot of teams in the west that are looking good.

Replacement is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
  #156
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Last nights games should once again demonstrate how much better the WC is then the East. Anybody watching LA/STL last night would have to say that those 4/5 clubs would give anybody in the East fits. LA was on their game and still lost to a very good blues team.

Not sure how many people remember me saying calm down when the Oilers were losing games to the excellent StL Blues. I said at the time Blues were a contender. They stumbled a bit after that but the Blues are back.

That said the Blues needed the W last night. LA will still be hard to push off the cliff if Quick gets his game back. LA was the better club last night and lost. At home they'll be better yet.

What we do know is that the Kings can play a whole playoffs at this pace. We don't know that about the Blues who are perhaps the more inconsistent club in big games.

Game 3 is huge.

Detroit/Anaheim was a treat as well. Again demonstrating how much stronger the west is. Detroit, in 7th place, would give most of the teams in the East a run for their money. I thought Howard had a brutal 3rd period. Lost to the commentators is he got beat for 3 goals but also gave up a couple of posts and almost allowed a goal from the goal line. Sure the Wings collapsed a bit but Howard had a bigtime meltdown. At the same time the Ducks were getting some enormous saves from Hiller. The Datsyuk chance in the 3rd and another couple saves were great.
Agreed. The style of intensity being played in the LAK-STL series makes me feel the SCF team will be coming out of that series.

The scary thing is LAK is playing just as well if not better than they did last year - the Blues are just 100% healthy and their system is now running like a machine. It's near-impossible to get zone possession time on that team now, and I personally feel their forechecking and mobile D would easily give CHI/PIT fits in a series. The only thing they lack is the high-power scoring ability that the other contenders do atop their lineups.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
  #157
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
That ANA-DET series is entertaining but the quality of play is a bit low compared to LAK-STL and even VAN-SJS. Whatever team that comes out of that series likely loses quickly in the second round IMO

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  #158
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Agreed. The style of intensity being played in the LAK-STL series makes me feel the SCF team will be coming out of that series.

The scary thing is LAK is playing just as well if not better than they did last year - the Blues are just 100% healthy and their system is now running like a machine. It's near-impossible to get zone possession time on that team now, and I personally feel their forechecking and mobile D would easily give CHI/PIT fits in a series. The only thing they lack is the high-power scoring ability that the other contenders do atop their lineups.
Yep. I was watching that 3rd period and saying this is the best, pure hockey I've seen in years. Quite possibly the best game played in years. Could be the best game played in this entire playoffs. The intensity was insane on every shift. Teams going at it like it was game 7 OT all day.

Anybody that says teams that play solid D are boring needs to cue up games like this. Theres none better than perfectly played hockey.

Replacement is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
  #159
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
That ANA-DET series is entertaining but the quality of play is a bit low compared to LAK-STL and even VAN-SJS. Whatever team that comes out of that series likely loses quickly in the second round IMO
Yes and no. Ducks are very hard to shutdown and when they are pushing on you few teams have an answer. I think it will be the Ducks coming out of that series although one gets the impression that Datsyuk is putting another clinic on in this series.

Ducks are better at forcing chances then either LA or STL that are both better in all round play but have trouble scoring.

Replacement is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:42 AM
  #160
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Shanny can't make his decision based on optics. I haven't seen the hit in slow motion, so I've yet to make my decision. But the NHL can't just make a decision to please the Habs.
Ideally, the ruling is 100% based on the play itself.

But if there were a million people (not just Habs fans) screaming for (more) justice then I think Shanny might give an ruling for the sake of settling the emotion/tension around it and thats not a bad move to make (sometimes). To be honest...I don't even think its a bad idea to err on the side of caution on the call made during the game, either. It was a bang<>banh play...refs are thinking maybe he touched the puck...maybe he didn't...pool of blood....Habs bench going crazy...Habs fans going crazy....ya...lets call a major and get this guy out of the game so it doesn't become a total gong show...

Thats game management, IMO. Good call...even though it was technically incorrect.

However, its looking like the majority consensus is somewhat supportive of the hit being "legal"...so...maybe thats all moot now that its been examined in slow motion.

Everest is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  #161
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 500
The point to me is that, it was a legal check, but it's still the concept that "I can legally send this guy into next week".

Scott Stevens was a master at this. Call it legal, call it a solid hockey play, but when you see a player with his head down and you go for the kill....

Hard to suspend for that, when he's doing what any player would be commended for.

dustrock is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
  #162
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Whoever survives the LAK/STL series is going to be seriously banged up.

Toydarian is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #163
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Lot of great games tonight

402 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #164
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Whoever survives the LAK/STL series is going to be seriously banged up.
Its unfortunate that these teams are bashing it out in first round action which would only be occurring due to how strong the west is. To think that 3 clubs in WC finished above these two in the standings is astounding.
To think that SJ are the 6th seed or Detroit 7th is uncanny.

A lot of criticism of the Oilers over the years but man it would be easier to make the playoffs in the East. You pretty much have to be a ringer to get spots in the West.

Heres something that hasn't been mentioned. 4 recent SC winners are featured in the West, 5 teams have been to the final in recent years. In the East only two of the playoff clubs have won the cup, and only two have been in a final.

One gets the sense of a lot of pretenders in the East. Montreal playing Ottawa is disguising how far each teams game has sunk as the season has progressed.

Replacement is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  #165
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,354
vCash: 500
Watching the Gryba/Eller hit a few more times and I definitely don't think there should be any supplementary discipline.

The principal point of contact is hip to groin(as TSN said), then there's secondary contact of shoulder to chest.

When the shoulder hits the chest, it looks like Eller's head snaps forward and hits the top of Gryba's shoulder, which by the looks of it, probably broke his nose.

All the blood comes from the broken nose and gash on his forehead from hitting the ice.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:15 PM
  #166
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,672
vCash: 344
"We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say," Prust told the media.
lol

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
  #167
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
The point to me is that, it was a legal check, but it's still the concept that "I can legally send this guy into next week".

Scott Stevens was a master at this. Call it legal, call it a solid hockey play, but when you see a player with his head down and you go for the kill....

Hard to suspend for that, when he's doing what any player would be commended for.
That's my issue. It's dangerous and disrespectful and above all, unnecessary. There's no value in those kinds of hit even if they are legal. People think that stuff is exciting I guess, but I'd happily sacrifice some entertainment value for player safety.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  #168
Del Preston
Fire Everyone
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
"We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say," Prust told the media.
lol
He also said he hopes Gryba doesn't get suspended.

Therrien is pissed at MacLean.

Tonight should be good.

Del Preston is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 02:10 PM
  #169
Rem
I am a ham radio
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
haha, a Sharks fan AND coming here with a Raffi Torres Avatar.

Win win in my book.

I would laugh if you sweep the Canucks.
I hated him with the Oil. I hated him with the Nucks. Didn't care when he was a Jacket, even less as a Yote. Love him as a Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggard View Post
I have bought a T-shirt or Jersey of whatever team knocks Vancouver out for the last few years. That trend will continue this year. Go Sharks! Hope I get to buy some Sharks gear soon
Awesome. I love to hate that team. I wanted to like them years ago because of my interest in the city of vancouver, but I just hate them. The Oil are my fav team in the great white north, but it took some time after 2006 to come to that conclusion. It started with Pronger going south...

Rem is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:21 PM
  #170
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,672
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
That's my issue. It's dangerous and disrespectful and above all, unnecessary. There's no value in those kinds of hit even if they are legal. People think that stuff is exciting I guess, but I'd happily sacrifice some entertainment value for player safety.
It's the playoffs those types of hits that generally don't have that severe of a result is how the Kings won the cup last year and how Boston won. They wear opponents down.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  #171
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's the playoffs those types of hits that generally don't have that severe of a result is how the Kings won the cup last year and how Boston won. They wear opponents down.
I think it's possible to be physical and wear opponents out without trying to murder them. Crazy, i know.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:36 PM
  #172
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I think it's possible to be physical and wear opponents out without trying to murder them. Crazy, i know.
I'm with you.

2 games is what he got, that seems fair to me.

dustrock is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:08 PM
  #173
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
2 games for a legal, yet predatory hit. The message is sent, don't hit to hurt.

Lewy is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
  #174
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I think it's possible to be physical and wear opponents out without trying to murder them. Crazy, i know.
Thing is, he wasn't neccesarily "trying to murder him"...but...there was extreme & deliberate force put into the contact, no doubt.

And with all the blood...the politically correct thing to do is to add some suspension onto the MAJOR, IMO.

If for no other reason than to prevent the entire series from becoming a bloodbath.

Everest is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
  #175
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,046
vCash: 500
Multiple hits worse than that happen all season, but they don't get suspensions. Ference actually tried to injure someone and he gets one game lol.

T-Funk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.