HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Smith headed to free agency?

Old
05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Mike Smith headed to free agency?

per an article by Sarah McLellan today
Quote:
Once destined to be a perennial backup, Coyotes goalie Mike Smith is now the envy of his craft as he approaches what will probably be the most significant payday of his career.

“I’ve always been on one- or two-year deals,” Smith said. “This is the time in my career I’ve solidified being a No. 1 goaltender, and I believe I should be compensated for it.”

Smith’s impending status — he’ll be an unrestricted free agent as of July 5 — in a shallow goalie market isn’t so glamorous for the Coyotes.

They plucked Smith out of relative obscurity two summers ago, gift-wrapping a starter job to an unproven netminder, and now he could be the latest star — and most painful exit — in the Coyotes’ ownerless nightmare if he chooses more money and stability elsewhere.
To me, parts of the article make it almost sound like Phoenix is unsure on whether Smith is worth the money and using the instability as an excuse to let Smith go.
Quote:
“We’d like to sign Mike,” General Manager Don Maloney said. “That would be our preference. However, if it doesn’t happen, we’ll find the next Mike Smith.”
Quote:
“Team management would have the ability to negotiate and make recommendations as to appropriate contract ‘term’ for league approval,” Daly wrote in an e-mail. “So, I wouldn’t agree there are any real limitations on the club’s ability to re-sign Mike Smith, other than those that are related to the team’s overall budget — which is the same situation that most, if not all, clubs deal with on a regular basis.”
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ike-smith.html

Interesting read. Though it is a shallow UFA goalie market (Smith, Backstrom, Khudobin, Theodore, Nabokov), there aren't a lot of teams likely looking for a goalie: Carolina might look for a back-up, same with Columbus, possibly Detroit, Edmonton will be looking for a back-up/1B type goalie, Florida will be looking at a back-up, Minnesota might be looking at a starter if Backstrom leaves, same with the Islanders, Winnipeg will probably look at another back-up. Plus when you throw in trade possibilities like Roberto Luongo and Ryan Miller, you've got 5 starting goalies with few starting slots available.

05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
zeus3007*

Smart move by Phoenix. They`ve proven that hey can make an average goalie look like a star for over a decade now (Burke, Bryzgalov, Smith). No need to spend huge on a goalie.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Sevanston

This would be a pretty dumb move on Smith's part.

I doubt any team would pay him as much, market him as much, or make him look as good as Phoenix has.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:01 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
There isn't much of a goalie market.

I think Philly is content with Mason/Bryz headed into next season. Tampa has Bishop/Lindback.

Who would sign him? Calgary? Doubt it. Edmonton? Maybe.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Love that quote from Maloney, telling it like it is.

As a Sharks fan I would love nothing more than for Smith to leave the division. I'm tired of watching him and his pads on top of pads shut us out every other game.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Hopefully the Coyotes can trade him for something but I doubt it this time after other teams have seen what has happened with Bryz after he got traded to Philly.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
backhandsauce

Edmonton bound. He's at the WC's with Dubnyk right now, could that be Edmontons 1A 1B tandem next year?

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Smart move by Phoenix. They`ve proven that hey can make an average goalie look like a star for over a decade now (Burke, Bryzgalov, Smith). No need to spend huge on a goalie.
Bingo

Should the coaching staff remain the same, and it most likely will, anybody who plays for Phoenix (or wherever they move to) is going to succeed in goal.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Edmonton bound. He's at the WC's with Dubnyk right now, could that be Edmontons 1A 1B tandem next year?
Hopefully only if he comes cheap. Smith be more than a backup in Edmonton's "system".

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Djp

There would be a few ther teams. Some that depends on playoff performance. Phoenix wouldn't be interested n signing hm to a long and high deal such as 7 at $7M per.

He has a better shot if it's nt a long term deal.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Don Maloney knows what's up.

Phoenix makes goalies look good, not the other way around.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Toronto is NOT sold on their goalie every statment ever made by dave Nonis points to that so if Reimer bombs which he did in game 1 with 2 brutal goals. Don't be shocked if Nonis signs Simth who tied the NHL lead in shutouts or Backstrom or looks at Luongo and Miller

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Ship Yandle and Smith to Edm for RNH + prospect..Oilers make the POs

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Philly should buy out Bryzgalov and sign Mike Smith to the same contract they gave him, I don't see how that could go wrong in any way.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
There isn't much of a goalie market.

I think Philly is content with Mason/Bryz headed into next season. Tampa has Bishop/Lindback.

Who would sign him? Calgary? Doubt it. Edmonton? Maybe.
I think it would be a foolish career move for Smith to leave Phoenix at this point. He has finally established himself by proving to be the right goalie for their system, and who knows if he could have the same success elsewhere. He has a good blueline in front of him whose top piece continues to get better each day (OEL).

With the Olympics right around the corner, Smith should be right in the thick of things when talking about Canadian goaltenders ( no one else really seems to have a hold on the job). It wouldn't be smart to make a drastic career move that could jeopardize that standing.

I think Smith will end up staying in Phoenix for somewhere in between $9MM and $11MM over two seasons, or maybe in the neighborhood of $15MM over three.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Vip
fun must be always

See ya, Smitty.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
roboninja
EYG

I wonder who's going to overpay him? I just hope it is not EDM.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
This would be a pretty dumb move on Smith's part.

I doubt any team would pay him as much, market him as much, or make him look as good as Phoenix has.
The bolded seems to combine several different issues, and I don't agree on all of them.

Pay him as much: STRONGLY disagree
Market him as much: Disagree
Make his look as good: Agree

Sounds like PHO is looking for a reason to not overpay Smith in the off-season, which is smart on their part. It think the Yotes will make a reasonable offer, but not a crazy FU offer like Smith would like similar to what Bryz got, or what other ELITE goalies got to resign (Rinne, Lundquist, etc.).

It's not like PHO does a ton of marketing, so I expect that anywhere he goes would give him at least the same amount of exposure.

Definitetely agree on the looking good part. PHO's system is very conducisive to producing strong goalie stats. From an organizational perspective, why overpay a UFA guy when they can get an underutilized guy and make him look good as the #1? It's a similar situation to paying market value for a guy like Kunitz based on his current production. A big part of that production is due to who he plays with, and teams can't afford to pay the "premium" that player earns based strictly on production, because the team is already paying the premium to Crosby.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:09 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Edmonton seems like a good bet. Position vacant and they have the capspace/money.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I think it would be a foolish career move for Smith to leave Phoenix at this point. He has finally established himself by proving to be the right goalie for their system, and who knows if he could have the same success elsewhere. He has a good blueline in front of him whose top piece continues to get better each day (OEL).

With the Olympics right around the corner, Smith should be right in the thick of things when talking about Canadian goaltenders ( no one else really seems to have a hold on the job). It wouldn't be smart to make a drastic career move that could jeopardize that standing.

I think Smith will end up staying in Phoenix for somewhere in between $9MM and $11MM over two seasons, or maybe in the neighborhood of $15MM over three.
Heusy - do you understand the idfference between "foolish career move" and "financial security"? Signing a 2 year deal in PHO for $9-11M is a LONG way from what a guy like Rinne earned ($49M over 7 years). This is Smith's best opportunity to set himself up for life, and I doubt that he takes a 2-3 deal, unless the UFA market is REALLY bleak.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Jacko95

If he leaves, I really hope they pick up Greiss, he deserves more than SJ gives him (playing time) and he has all the talent to be a solid starter in the desert.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:14 PM
LMFAO

I honestly don't see a team dumb enough to overpay for him

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
JKG33
Richards & Carter

Some team will grossly overpay for Smith, and he will fail miserably.

Phoenix will find someone who will play at worst the same as Smith currently is, but for much less $$$

JKG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Hope he leaves Phoenix, so we can trade Neuvirth to them.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

I think this could turn out like Stempniak and the Yotes did a few years back. Stemps hit the market after getting traded to the Yotes late the season and put up 14 goals in 18 games. Then everyone expected him to become a UFA and get paid, but the GMs all saw through the numbers, and PHX re-signed him later in the summer for a decent cost on a short-term deal. I could see a similar situation working out here because Smith and the Yotes seem to be a good fit for each other, and other teams might not want to gamble on getting pre-PHX Mike Smith.

The fact is Smith looked great last year (11/12), but looked like his old, inconsistent self this past year with some standout performances thrown in. I doubt there is really a large market for him, the timing is poor.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote