HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  #551
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Somewhat related I've wondered how high school work for junior players. I imagine it would be hard to deal with school when they are playing 50-70 games a season.
I would assume they go to normal classes when they are home. I guess they bring a tutor or something when they go on the road. They only travel by buses on road trips so there's a lot of time to kill.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
  #552
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would assume they go to normal classes when they are home. I guess they bring a tutor or something when they go on the road. They only travel by buses on road trips so there's a lot of time to kill.
why would they need a tutor? just bring your textbooks/learning material and you're golden.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
  #553
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
why would they need a tutor? just bring your textbooks/learning material and you're golden.
They may have tests and stuff. Even NCAA teams do the same thing on road trips. They also administrate small little classes during down times.

How many kids do think would actually do their work without some being there to stay on top of them?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
  #554
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They may have tests and stuff. Even NCAA teams do the same thing on road trips. They also administrate small little classes during down times.

How many kids do think would actually do their work without some being there to stay on top of them?
NCAA is one thing since all kids on the team will be attending the same school, that makes sense. it's not really the same in the chl (over-agers mostly referring to) or in the AHL/ECHL for example

i did/do actually stay on top of things and i assume most twenty whatever year olds do as well, don't they? i didn't while in hs but since i'm paying for my education now (which i assume they are too) i'm not willing to ******* around. though i imagine it could be a bit different for some since they are aspiring millionaires

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  #555
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Haha.



Oh, interesting. Yeah the only person I know of off the top of my head going to school during their career is Ken Dryden, but he actually took time off to do it.



Somewhat related I've wondered how high school work for junior players. I imagine it would be hard to deal with school when they are playing 50-70 games a season.
I don't think their schooling is that hard really since most of their games are played on Friday, saturday, and sunday. There's a few weekday games sprinkled in, but the travel in the juniors isn't too bad.

__________________
Krishna is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  #556
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
NCAA is one thing since all kids on the team will be attending the same school, that makes sense. it's not really the same in the chl (over-agers mostly referring to) or in the AHL/ECHL for example

i did/do actually stay on top of things and i assume most twenty whatever year olds do as well, don't they? i didn't while in hs but since i'm paying for my education now (which i assume they are too) i'm not willing to ******* around. though i imagine it could be a bit different for some since they are aspiring millionaires
The CHL teams pay for their tuitions in high school and college. I'm sure a tutor could teach different levels at different times. There's a couple of guys on the team for each age groups. Same with an NCAA team.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:59 PM
  #557
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know some of those guys just quit school altogether when they finish up high school. That's mostly guys who are high draft picks though and look to have a future in the NHL.

Charlie Coyle left Boston University to go to Saint John to focus more on hockey and not school recently for example.
I find that really stupid

Yes, I know that hockey will most likely be their life, but what if it doesnt work out?

They pissed away a free education and have nothing to fall back on

If I had a son that was playing NCAA hockey, I would make sure he still finished his degree.

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 09:11 PM
  #558
flybynite77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I find that really stupid

Yes, I know that hockey will most likely be their life, but what if it doesnt work out?

They pissed away a free education and have nothing to fall back on

If I had a son that was playing NCAA hockey, I would make sure he still finished his degree.
Well you have to factor in that they're getting paid by their NHL team with the contract they sign that will likely be greater than the cost of the college year or two they are passing up. It's also possible that you could negotiate a tuition reimbursement from the NHL team as part of the contract. MLB teams do this all the time with HS kids and with college kids who come out after 3 years.

Resuming your education if hockey doen't work out after a few years wouldn't that hard. Your first two years at college are mainly core curriculum classes anyway so they're usually easily transferable credits.

It's why to save cost a lot of kids go for a year or two of community college and then transfer to a university. You fill your basic requirements at CC and then transfer.

flybynite77 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
  #559
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Well you have to factor in that they're getting paid by their NHL team with the contract they sign that will likely be greater than the cost of the college year or two they are passing up. It's also possible that you could negotiate a tuition reimbursement from the NHL team as part of the contract. MLB teams do this all the time with HS kids and with college kids who come out after 3 years.

Resuming your education if hockey doen't work out after a few years wouldn't that hard. Your first two years at college are mainly core curriculum classes anyway so they're usually easily transferable credits.

It's why to save cost a lot of kids go for a year or two of community college and then transfer to a university. You fill your basic requirements at CC and then transfer.
I'm pretty sure the NHL doesn't do that because college players don't make up a great proportion of the players coming into the league like it does in baseball.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  #560
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,571
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I find that really stupid

Yes, I know that hockey will most likely be their life, but what if it doesnt work out?

They pissed away a free education and have nothing to fall back on

If I had a son that was playing NCAA hockey, I would make sure he still finished his degree.
It's not like the college wouldn't still be there. BU was also having a bunch of strange issues with hazing or something. He got out of a sinking ship.


Phantoms (as in not the Flyers) signed Niagara goaltender Carsen Chubak.

GKJ is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  #561
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Can anyone shed some light on this Carson Chubak guy the Phantoms signed other than his stats? I don't know anything about him

jd2210 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  #562
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this Carson Chubak guy the Phantoms signed other than his stats? I don't know anything about him
All i got is that he was a hobey baker nominee. Where you see the Phantoms signed him.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  #563
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Confirmation from Flyers director of hockey ops Chris Pryor that goalie Carsen Chubak signed AHL contract (not NHL ELC).
Source: Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  #564
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
If this is the right guy via Wiki:


2010-11 Niagara University AHA 4-3-1 0.899
2011-12 Niagara University AHA 0-1-0 0.808
2012-13 Niagara University AHA 23-6-5 0.938

Are his stats. See bolded.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
  #565
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiogdGyx8No

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:46 PM
  #566
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Left school early to sign an AHL deal?

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
  #567
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,860
vCash: 500
Seems like he played against some really good teams and carried his team most of the time.

Good read here:

http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/29/incr...hubak-niagara/

Quote:
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Carsen Chubak is no stranger to hard work between the pipes. The Niagara junior goaltender and Hobey Baker Award finalist gets a workout in many games, as the Purple Eagles routinely give up more than 30 shots per game.

Chubak has faced more than 40 shots in five games this season, and in two of those — Oct. 26 against Clarkson and Nov. 17 against Robert Morris — Chubak earned shutout wins.

The three other 40-plus shot games were losses, including Friday night’s 2-1 decision against North Dakota in the NCAA tournament West Regional semifinals.

EDIT: Smaller goalie though. Only 5'11''. Dont know how he would do. He has been pretty average through most of his career. Not the biggest fan of 1 season wonders (See Testwuide)

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  #568
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
EDIT: Smaller goalie though. Only 5'11''. Dont know how he would do. He has been pretty average through most of his career. Not the biggest fan of 1 season wonders (See Testwuide)
that's why it's an AHL contract. this way he doesn't take up a roster spot, fills a need at the AHL level (back-up) and if it turns out he is somehow more then a minor leaguer he's already in the organization.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:39 PM
  #569
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
EDIT: Smaller goalie though. Only 5'11''. Dont know how he would do. He has been pretty average through most of his career. Not the biggest fan of 1 season wonders (See Testwuide)
It's an AHL deal. I don't know what you are expecting. As far as the one year wonder thing, I actually see that as a positive, as his best hockey might be ahead of him. And it's not like he was bad the previous two years, he just didn't play. This is about as low risk a move as a team can make and if he shows promise you sign him to an NHL contract.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  #570
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
that's why it's an AHL contract. this way he doesn't take up a roster spot, fills a need at the AHL level (back-up) and if it turns out he is somehow more then a minor leaguer he's already in the organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
It's an AHL deal. I don't know what you are expecting. As far as the one year wonder thing, I actually see that as a positive, as his best hockey might be ahead of him. And it's not like he was bad the previous two years, he just didn't play. This is about as low risk a move as a team can make and if he shows promise you sign him to an NHL contract.
Hmmm I guess I sounded like I was complaining? I was just stating what I felt about the deal haha. Oh well.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  #571
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
He's 5'11" and left school early to sign an AHL deal. I really don't understand that move on his part unless there's some unknown circumstances we don't know about.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
  #572
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
London won 4-1 tonight. Series now tied 1-1.

Edit: Stolarz stopped 22 of 23.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 02:02 AM
  #573
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
London won 4-1 tonight. Series now tied 1-1.

Edit: Stolarz stopped 22 of 23.
Highlights:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
  #574
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Might as well post this here since Stolarz played


Krishna is offline  
Old
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
  #575
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,251
vCash: 500
Barrie won 6-3 tonight. Stolarz stopped 23 of 28. Barrie up 2-1 in the series.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.