*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
coachfluffy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

Fluffy - You're going to have those three back, barring some weird situation. Ebert is valued really low right now, Rychel is Rychel, and Marchese couldn't be dealt at the deadline for anything.
With WR actions in regards to his son, I can see him being traded to the host team to ensure Little Kerby gets a chance for the Mem Cup.

Marchese quit on them this year so I doubt they bring him back. Ebert is playing decent out in California. I just don't want those three being involved in showing the rookies the right way to play the game.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Ottomatic

In 2010 Windsor played Barrie in the OHL finals, both bid for the Mem Cup hosting gig, league put off decision and the awarded it to Mississauga.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post

Marchese quit on them this year so I doubt they bring him back.

Marchese sustaining a concussion is quitting on the team? And you honestly think that if he was medically cleared to play and didn't want to that Warren Rychel and Bob Boughner would not have addressed the matter firmly?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:58 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
Marchese sustaining a concussion is quitting on the team? And you honestly think that if he was medically cleared to play and didn't want to that Warren Rychel and Bob Boughner would not have addressed the matter firmly?
Not sure that there is a test to confirm a concussion. It is more based on symptoms exhibited. "my head hurts and I am still a little dizzy". I understand he was a bit of a pita so maybe they did not care to have him back.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Percyma

Quote:
Not sure that there is a test to confirm a concussion. It is more based on symptoms exhibited. "my head hurts and I am still a little dizzy". I understand he was a bit of a pita so maybe they did not care to have him back.

There is no test to confirm a concussion? Boughner and Rychel would have worked together to either trade or release Marchese if they were not happy with him. The reason that Marchese was neither waived nor traded? He was injured.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:25 AM
RayzorIsDull

In regards to Marchese he's not to blame for all of the failures of the team but if there was a player on the team each of the last 2 seasons that could be a poster boy for this team he could be one of them.

Former 1st round pick by Erie
High expectations
Year 1 29gp 27 points
More is expected the next year
Year 2 39gp 24 points
Shows signs of laziness, won't back check, lacks discipline at times

I am sure he has very little value at this time but for all the above he needs to show marked improvements in all areas, most importantly staying healthy and being able to play in games. The ball is in his court it's up to him and what he does with it.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
coachfluffy

Marchese came in with the rep Rayzor describes. A couple other players were dumped to the Spits because of attitudes. Management should realise now that they do not have the Midas touch and are unable to turn all malcontents into gold.

The first few years they used to get rid of anyone showing any signs of being unhappy. Now they receive those players willingly.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:44 AM
SimonKnightsman

Erie just wrecks players. They allow them to be so beat down they have zero confidence in their old game. I have listened to scouts talking about other Otters and how they usually head south in year 2.

Harper is another one about to be chalked up as Junior bust....list keeps growing.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Players take baseline brain tests at the begging of the season. If a player is to thought to have suffered a head injury, they do tests to see if the brain is at the same level. These test are in the OHL, NHL, and now most Minor Hockey systems. Its much more complex then 'im dizzy'.

There is a VERY comprehensive test for concussions.

You personally may not like the kid, but if he tested for a concussion, there is no way he should be on the ice until those symptoms are cleared.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
coachfluffy

Let me just say, from what I have been told, is that neither side was pushing for a change in the diagnosis to get Chris back on the ice.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Let me just say, from what I have been told, is that neither side was pushing for a change in the diagnosis to get Chris back on the ice.

And that's the basis for your comment that Marchese quit on the team?

Old
05-03-2013, 05:05 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
And that's the basis for your comment that Marchese quit on the team?
I think Marchese quit of himself as much as he did on the team long before the concussion problems set in.
IMHO Marchese would have been of little value to the Spits had he been in the lineup. It appeared to these old eyes that he avoided the corners of the rink like the plague and loafed on the back check. He does have speed and a decent touch around the net. Not sure of the education package he has or if he has a no trade clause but his interests would probably be served better if he was playing elsewhere. Perhaps a different style of coach could get the potential he once had to emerge.

On a different note I see that some of the new draftees have received their Spits sweaters. Wonder if the US draftees were sent sweaters or would that be illegal in the eyes of Wee Davie?

Old
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
OHLTG

For whatever it's worth, I heard whispers at the arena, following the deadline, that Marchese remaining with the team was not the desired result. I do not know if this was because of the concussion or not, but all indications are that an attempt to deal was there.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:55 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
For whatever it's worth, I heard whispers at the arena, following the deadline, that Marchese remaining with the team was not the desired result. I do not know if this was because of the concussion or not, but all indications are that an attempt to deal was there.
The kid said he was still feeling the effects of the concussion. The team had no choice but to keep him. You cannot cut someone for getting hurt and no one else wanted him in case he was hurt.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:57 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
The kid said he was still feeling the effects of the concussion. The team had no choice but to keep him. You cannot cut someone for getting hurt and no one else wanted him in case he was hurt.
I'm not blaming other teams. I'm just stating what I was told; the intent and the result were two different things.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
I'm not blaming other teams. I'm just stating what I was told; the intent and the result were two different things.
I think we are saying the same thing. The team didn't want him but they couldn't do anything with him while he was 'hurt'.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Im confused, so perhaps you can open my eyes to something.

Your first comment was that there was no test for conclusions and you suggested that the player was faking it (still are, your prerogative). Now, your saying there was a diagnosis?

I apologize, but your comments are a bit inconstant.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:08 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im confused, so perhaps you can open my eyes to something.

Your first comment was that there was no test for conclusions and you suggested that the player was faking it (still are, your prerogative). Now, your saying there was a diagnosis?

I apologize, but your comments are a bit inconstant.
Seems to me that in the last number of posts we have stooped to dotting the i's and crossing the t's and we have slipped into; he said she said. It would be great to put some meat on the bones of the posts.

Then again that's just me... I'd rather hear someone talk about the future direction the Spits will head if they don't get the 2014 Memorial cup or what they'll do if it is awarded to them (be still my heart)....

Old
05-05-2013, 12:53 PM
KyGuy9

In The Hockey News - Draft Preview, they have 2 Spitfires ranked within the top 100 - Kerby at #21 and Trevor Murphy at #97. #97 is no locked spot, so where do you guys think Trevor will go - if you think he will?

Also, does anyone (London fans?) know why Remi Elie is ranked #78? Whenever I saw him play I didn't notice him that much, so I find him a bit ovverated IMO? But need a regular's opinion on why he's so highly ranked.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
aresknights

He's got a heavy shot, strong on the puck, skates alright.
Just caught down the depth chart and doesn't get a ton of PT.
I think you'll see him step up a bit next year

Old
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
aresknights

I would agree with all u say re Elie impressed me alot this year with skill and toughness
and u are right again he should play a more prominent next season
A guy like him would look good in a Windsor uniform

Old
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thanks. I also noticed he was a 6th round (I believe) pick by the Knights. Was he commited to go somewhere else, or did the Knights get a steal?

Old
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
punch1943

WFCU Ranked 14th

stadium journey magazine

Ranking the Arenas of the OHL (Dave Cottenie)

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/0...rena-rankings/

Here's a link to this magazine that rates the WFCU as 14th out of 20 OHL arenas.
London (4th), Barrie (10th).

I do not know if this writer works for the OHL [Wee Davie] or not but 14th seems a bit harsh to me. The only gripe(s) I have regarding the WFCU are...

#1 pricing..from tickets right down to coffee the Spits don't miss a trick when it comes to squeezing your wallet for $$$$.

#2 exits. If the city should had given a bit more thought to traffic flow,(The exiting of vehicles after the games/shows are finished) it would have made visits to the WFCU a much better experience.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Overall beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personally I guess the best way is to compare the arena to others you have been to. Personally out of the current arenas I have been to.

Kitchener(pre renovation)
Owen Sound
Erie
London
Sarnia
Plymouth
Barrie
Brampton
Niagara
Saginaw
Mississauga
Guelph

I would certainly put London ahead of Windsor but other than that I don't see one arena clearly ahead of Windsor. The areas that WFCU falls short is in parking, pricing and selection of food at the arena it's getting better but the knock off Armando's pizza is an insult to the terrific pizza they make. They would have been better off just putting up Pizza Pizza.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Ottomatic

Neighborhood is the killer. There are a few restaurants - Smoke and Spice, Eastside Mario's and basically all the fast food joints close by and the Tecumseh Mall is walking distance, though through a field and then over train tracks and Tecumseh Mall pretty much sucks anyways.

Would it kill the city to get something developed on the huge plot of land that was once the Lear Plant?

If Eddie and Council didn't want a downtown arena, this should have been built out on Walker Road where everything else seems to be being built.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 05-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Closed Thread