HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Not me. Outside of last season (which he was awesome), he hasn't done much to show me he's worth $5+ a year.

I think he is a better player than Erat and he would only be making 800k more a year at that price. It would fill that gap we have now and then some. I would love to see something like this next year.

Filpula/Fisher/Horny
Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg
Bourque/Legwand/Beck
Clune/Gaustad/Smith

Bench:Yip/Butler

Problem is we need to move SK and I'm not sure we can pull that off. Maybe just use a buy-out on him...

Old
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I think he is a better player than Erat and he would only be making 800k more a year at that price. It would fill that gap we have now and then some. I would love to see something like this next year.

Filpula/Fisher/Horny
Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg
Bourque/Legwand/Beck
Clune/Gaustad/Smith

Bench:Yip/Butler

Problem is we need to move SK and I'm not sure we can pull that off. Maybe just use a buy-out on him...
This may sound nuts, but if SK can bounce back (and he wants to be here, which is questionable), I'd much rather have him in our top-6. He makes $2 mil less than what Flips wants, pots more goals, and I think has an underrated two-way game.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
deanwormer

Originally Posted by deanwormer
for those worrying about pushing up against the cap, we won't for one simple reason - DP is going after the Fs but not a Dman. We may pick up this year's Hannan, <snip>

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He said it was obvious we needed more experience on the blueline, so, yeah, well there's that.
And a "hannan type" is????? right, experience, just not the top4 Dman we seem to be clamoring for. The dollars we have committed, plus at least a F to replace Marty, would seem to have us pushing the $60mil area in cap, and the real dollars will be more with Shea's bonus. We have Blum/Ellis/Eckholm to sort out, and 4 vets plus a serviceable Bartley - without making a trade, it just doesn't seem to work.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Originally Posted by deanwormer
for those worrying about pushing up against the cap, we won't for one simple reason - DP is going after the Fs but not a Dman. We may pick up this year's Hannan, <snip>

And a "hannan type" is????? right, experience, just not the top4 Dman we seem to be clamoring for. The dollars we have committed, plus at least a F to replace Marty, would seem to have us pushing the $60mil area in cap, and the real dollars will be more with Shea's bonus. We have Blum/Ellis/Eckholm to sort out, and 4 vets plus a serviceable Bartley - without making a trade, it just doesn't seem to work.
It works out if we only sign 1 forward of note (over 3M dollars,) which I believe will be the case. Maybe some depth, outside that.

I can reasonably see 7M to sign free agents:

a 4-5M forward
a 2-3M Defenseman

Old
05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Would be awesome if we could trade for Sharp. I know, not happening but would be awesome.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
the amnesty buyouts are going to prevent a really interesting summer. If there were no cap-hit free buyouts some teams would be pretty screwed kinda like the Blackhawks were after their cup year

Old
05-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the amnesty buyouts are going to prevent a really interesting summer. If there were no cap-hit free buyouts some teams would be pretty screwed kinda like the Blackhawks were after their cup year
I agree but some of the buy outs could bring a bidding war for a player. And them some teams will have to make some hard decisions about trading a high cap guy or sheding off smaller pieces to get under the cap. As you look at the cap for each team look at how many players they have under contract some are going to forced to make pretty wild decisions. And some will be able to unload overpaid or underperformers Rick DePetro for the Islanders comes to mind.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think Dipietro could work as a backup here, if he gets bought out and is willing to be behind Rinne. If anyone can bring that 1st overall potential out of him, its Mitch Korn.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
AintLifeGrand

So what about offer sheeting mats zuccarello ?

Old
05-04-2013, 02:11 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I really think he is worth that much. He is strong on faceoffs and very good on both ends of the ice. I would love it if we were able to sign him. I would put him as our top line center in a second.
He's had ONE season over 40 points, that shouldn't get you $5+ no matter how good defensively and at faceoffs you are. Do no want.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
So what about offer sheeting mats zuccarello ?

Why we have plenty of his type in the system. 3 line tops

Old
05-04-2013, 04:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I agree but some of the buy outs could bring a bidding war for a player. And them some teams will have to make some hard decisions about trading a high cap guy or sheding off smaller pieces to get under the cap. As you look at the cap for each team look at how many players they have under contract some are going to forced to make pretty wild decisions. And some will be able to unload overpaid or underperformers Rick DePetro for the Islanders comes to mind.
I think there's going to be a limit on buyers though.

Old
05-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

The more I see of Stalberg, the more I think he's a great fit here.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
The more I see of Stalberg, the more I think he's a great fit here.
I don't think he's the answer. He's an okay compliment in Chicago where he has high end talent to draw the best defensive assignments. If he's going to come here to be counted on to lead the attack then we're going to be disappointed.

As second liner at a good price, i'm all for it... is he going to sign that deal though?

Old
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Problem is Preds need what about 24 other teams could use-- top 6 forward help, 2 pair D man. Only a handful of rosters set for those already, and a few of them may be hard against the cap. So the market price may not be friendly. That SK contract sure looks like an albatross now, even though it seemed ok when it was inked.
I mean Filppula? Stahlberg? Anybody here really think one of those guys is THE answer? DP has his work cut out for him. I think it will be some unexpected piece that gets added-- sure hope it is the right one....

Old
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Something I think is being very overlooked here is Poile saying that he doesn't believe the free agency market is going to be that plentiful this summer, but instead foresees teams with holes to fill being more willing to trade pieces than overpay for guys that aren't "the" answer to their need(s).

There are few I wouldn't trade on this team.

Untouchables for me would be:
Goalies:
Rinne

Defensemen:
Weber, Josi, Klein

Forwards:
Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Hornqvist, and Fisher

Everyone else... Make your offers.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Something I think is being very overlooked here is Poile saying that he doesn't believe the free agency market is going to be that plentiful this summer, but instead foresees teams with holes to fill being more willing to trade pieces than overpay for guys that aren't "the" answer to their need(s).

There are few I wouldn't trade on this team.

Untouchables for me would be:
Goalies:
Rinne

Defensemen:
Weber, Josi, Klein

Forwards:
Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Hornqvist, and Fisher

Everyone else... Make your offers.
You think Fisher is untouchable ? ... So should Legwand ... I don't like the fact that Bourque is untouchable & you should add the #4 draft pick as untouchable from what Poile has stated, it truly is

Old
05-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
You think Fisher is untouchable ? ... So should Legwand ... I don't like the fact that Bourque is untouchable & you should add the #4 draft pick as untouchable from what Poile has stated, it truly is
Fisher's status is directly related to who he is married to. I'd be hard pressed to trade Legwand as I believe he can be successfully converted to wing and provides options at all strengths.

Bourque to me is our version of Brad Marchand. He brings everything he has to the game every night and is difficult to play against. You can't ever have enough of those guys. I'd trade him, but it'd take a clear win for us to do it.

For me, the Preds are picking Barkov or MacKinnon. If neither is there at No. 4, you trade back and take Lindholm because this is your opportunity to get a No. 1 center and you have to take it...

Old
05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I would add (and somewhere I did) that one of Hali or Spaling will likely be gone. Too interchangeable and with all the comments about how the team is built there is a prime example of redundancy. Tough choice too as they are both good solid 3rd liners, PKers, grinders.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Fisher's status is directly related to who he is married to. I'd be hard pressed to trade Legwand as I believe he can be successfully converted to wing and provides options at all strengths.

Bourque to me is our version of Brad Marchand. He brings everything he has to the game every night and is difficult to play against. You can't ever have enough of those guys. I'd trade him, but it'd take a clear win for us to do it.
The kind of game that he plays makes him tradeable in a heartbeat ... Guy has missed portions of his first two professional seasons ... unfortunate

34 this year out of 48
last year he missed 14 games splitting time between Nashville & Milwaukee

Scouting Report from Forecaster
Assets: Forechecking is his best asset, thanks to his speed and tenacity on the puck. Has sound instincts and hockey sense. Is skilled with the puck and boasts good scoring upside. Works extremely hard, on and off the ice.
Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League, which could hurt his overall upside as a top-six winger going forward. Needs to prove he can withstand the rigors of the NHL over time.
Career Potential: Tenacious winger with some upside.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The kind of game that he plays makes him tradeable in a heartbeat ... Guy has missed portions of his first two professional seasons ... unfortunate

34 this year out of 48
last year he missed 14 games splitting time between Nashville & Milwaukee

Scouting Report from Forecaster
Assets: Forechecking is his best asset, thanks to his speed and tenacity on the puck. Has sound instincts and hockey sense. Is skilled with the puck and boasts good scoring upside. Works extremely hard, on and off the ice.
Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League, which could hurt his overall upside as a top-six winger going forward. Needs to prove he can withstand the rigors of the NHL over time.
Career Potential: Tenacious winger with some upside.
This year he played at the NHL level with a torn meniscus. I agree, durability will be a challenge for him, but just like with Hornqvist, you accept it based on he value he brings.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Bourque isn't our offensive savior, but he's certainly nice to have around. No problem with dealing him if the price is right, but not for scraps

Old
05-05-2013, 01:44 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I don't think he's the answer. He's an okay compliment in Chicago where he has high end talent to draw the best defensive assignments. If he's going to come here to be counted on to lead the attack then we're going to be disappointed.

As second liner at a good price, i'm all for it... is he going to sign that deal though?
What is your definition of a 2nd liner at a good price?

Nobody thinks he's going to be "the answer", but he will be at least as good if not better than most of our players. He's in his prime and has put up some the best 3rd line numbers around.

Regardless of team, most teams will match up their best defensive players against the opposing team's "scoring line". So yeah, he probably draws some not great defensive players but so does Nick Spaling.

I assume he's normally matched up against opposing teams top lines, which in a way is harder to score because they like have the ability to keep you pinned in the defensive zone.

In: Staalberg, Horton, D Murray, keep eyes open to teams cutting salary for cap purposes.
Maybe In: Forseberg, (Barkov)
Out: SK, Gill, Gaustad-- but we will have troubles getting takers for these 3

Old
05-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
What is your definition of a 2nd liner at a good price?
I would not give Stalberg more than $3M... and i'm a Stalberg fan since he was at UVM. He puts up Legwand numbers in Chicago, and there's no way he even matches that output in Nashville.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Stalberg isn't "the answer" - no one in this UFA class is - but he can be a nice piece to add.

Closed Thread