HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
  #126
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 820
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Not me. Outside of last season (which he was awesome), he hasn't done much to show me he's worth $5+ a year.

I think he is a better player than Erat and he would only be making 800k more a year at that price. It would fill that gap we have now and then some. I would love to see something like this next year.

Filpula/Fisher/Horny
Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg
Bourque/Legwand/Beck
Clune/Gaustad/Smith

Bench:Yip/Butler

Problem is we need to move SK and I'm not sure we can pull that off. Maybe just use a buy-out on him...

Persona5 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  #127
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 10,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I think he is a better player than Erat and he would only be making 800k more a year at that price. It would fill that gap we have now and then some. I would love to see something like this next year.

Filpula/Fisher/Horny
Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg
Bourque/Legwand/Beck
Clune/Gaustad/Smith

Bench:Yip/Butler

Problem is we need to move SK and I'm not sure we can pull that off. Maybe just use a buy-out on him...
This may sound nuts, but if SK can bounce back (and he wants to be here, which is questionable), I'd much rather have him in our top-6. He makes $2 mil less than what Flips wants, pots more goals, and I think has an underrated two-way game.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  #128
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by deanwormer
for those worrying about pushing up against the cap, we won't for one simple reason - DP is going after the Fs but not a Dman. We may pick up this year's Hannan, <snip>

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He said it was obvious we needed more experience on the blueline, so, yeah, well there's that.
And a "hannan type" is????? right, experience, just not the top4 Dman we seem to be clamoring for. The dollars we have committed, plus at least a F to replace Marty, would seem to have us pushing the $60mil area in cap, and the real dollars will be more with Shea's bonus. We have Blum/Ellis/Eckholm to sort out, and 4 vets plus a serviceable Bartley - without making a trade, it just doesn't seem to work.

deanwormer is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 06:38 PM
  #129
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Originally Posted by deanwormer
for those worrying about pushing up against the cap, we won't for one simple reason - DP is going after the Fs but not a Dman. We may pick up this year's Hannan, <snip>



And a "hannan type" is????? right, experience, just not the top4 Dman we seem to be clamoring for. The dollars we have committed, plus at least a F to replace Marty, would seem to have us pushing the $60mil area in cap, and the real dollars will be more with Shea's bonus. We have Blum/Ellis/Eckholm to sort out, and 4 vets plus a serviceable Bartley - without making a trade, it just doesn't seem to work.
It works out if we only sign 1 forward of note (over 3M dollars,) which I believe will be the case. Maybe some depth, outside that.

I can reasonably see 7M to sign free agents:

a 4-5M forward
a 2-3M Defenseman

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
  #130
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,047
vCash: 500
Would be awesome if we could trade for Sharp. I know, not happening but would be awesome.

triggrman is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
  #131
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,309
vCash: 50
the amnesty buyouts are going to prevent a really interesting summer. If there were no cap-hit free buyouts some teams would be pretty screwed kinda like the Blackhawks were after their cup year

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #132
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the amnesty buyouts are going to prevent a really interesting summer. If there were no cap-hit free buyouts some teams would be pretty screwed kinda like the Blackhawks were after their cup year
I agree but some of the buy outs could bring a bidding war for a player. And them some teams will have to make some hard decisions about trading a high cap guy or sheding off smaller pieces to get under the cap. As you look at the cap for each team look at how many players they have under contract some are going to forced to make pretty wild decisions. And some will be able to unload overpaid or underperformers Rick DePetro for the Islanders comes to mind.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  #133
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
I think Dipietro could work as a backup here, if he gets bought out and is willing to be behind Rinne. If anyone can bring that 1st overall potential out of him, its Mitch Korn.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  #134
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
So what about offer sheeting mats zuccarello ?

AintLifeGrand is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  #135
FaceOfTheFranchise
Registered User
 
FaceOfTheFranchise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I really think he is worth that much. He is strong on faceoffs and very good on both ends of the ice. I would love it if we were able to sign him. I would put him as our top line center in a second.
He's had ONE season over 40 points, that shouldn't get you $5+ no matter how good defensively and at faceoffs you are. Do no want.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  #136
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
So what about offer sheeting mats zuccarello ?


Why we have plenty of his type in the system. 3 line tops

Byrddog is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 04:07 PM
  #137
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I agree but some of the buy outs could bring a bidding war for a player. And them some teams will have to make some hard decisions about trading a high cap guy or sheding off smaller pieces to get under the cap. As you look at the cap for each team look at how many players they have under contract some are going to forced to make pretty wild decisions. And some will be able to unload overpaid or underperformers Rick DePetro for the Islanders comes to mind.
I think there's going to be a limit on buyers though.

triggrman is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 05:12 PM
  #138
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
The more I see of Stalberg, the more I think he's a great fit here.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
  #139
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
The more I see of Stalberg, the more I think he's a great fit here.
I don't think he's the answer. He's an okay compliment in Chicago where he has high end talent to draw the best defensive assignments. If he's going to come here to be counted on to lead the attack then we're going to be disappointed.

As second liner at a good price, i'm all for it... is he going to sign that deal though?

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
  #140
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Problem is Preds need what about 24 other teams could use-- top 6 forward help, 2 pair D man. Only a handful of rosters set for those already, and a few of them may be hard against the cap. So the market price may not be friendly. That SK contract sure looks like an albatross now, even though it seemed ok when it was inked.
I mean Filppula? Stahlberg? Anybody here really think one of those guys is THE answer? DP has his work cut out for him. I think it will be some unexpected piece that gets added-- sure hope it is the right one....

darth5 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
  #141
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Something I think is being very overlooked here is Poile saying that he doesn't believe the free agency market is going to be that plentiful this summer, but instead foresees teams with holes to fill being more willing to trade pieces than overpay for guys that aren't "the" answer to their need(s).

There are few I wouldn't trade on this team.

Untouchables for me would be:
Goalies:
Rinne

Defensemen:
Weber, Josi, Klein

Forwards:
Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Hornqvist, and Fisher

Everyone else... Make your offers.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:36 PM
  #142
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Something I think is being very overlooked here is Poile saying that he doesn't believe the free agency market is going to be that plentiful this summer, but instead foresees teams with holes to fill being more willing to trade pieces than overpay for guys that aren't "the" answer to their need(s).

There are few I wouldn't trade on this team.

Untouchables for me would be:
Goalies:
Rinne

Defensemen:
Weber, Josi, Klein

Forwards:
Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Hornqvist, and Fisher

Everyone else... Make your offers.
You think Fisher is untouchable ? ... So should Legwand ... I don't like the fact that Bourque is untouchable & you should add the #4 draft pick as untouchable from what Poile has stated, it truly is

Dave is a killer is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:45 PM
  #143
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
You think Fisher is untouchable ? ... So should Legwand ... I don't like the fact that Bourque is untouchable & you should add the #4 draft pick as untouchable from what Poile has stated, it truly is
Fisher's status is directly related to who he is married to. I'd be hard pressed to trade Legwand as I believe he can be successfully converted to wing and provides options at all strengths.

Bourque to me is our version of Brad Marchand. He brings everything he has to the game every night and is difficult to play against. You can't ever have enough of those guys. I'd trade him, but it'd take a clear win for us to do it.

For me, the Preds are picking Barkov or MacKinnon. If neither is there at No. 4, you trade back and take Lindholm because this is your opportunity to get a No. 1 center and you have to take it...

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
  #144
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
I would add (and somewhere I did) that one of Hali or Spaling will likely be gone. Too interchangeable and with all the comments about how the team is built there is a prime example of redundancy. Tough choice too as they are both good solid 3rd liners, PKers, grinders.

darth5 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:54 PM
  #145
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Fisher's status is directly related to who he is married to. I'd be hard pressed to trade Legwand as I believe he can be successfully converted to wing and provides options at all strengths.

Bourque to me is our version of Brad Marchand. He brings everything he has to the game every night and is difficult to play against. You can't ever have enough of those guys. I'd trade him, but it'd take a clear win for us to do it.
The kind of game that he plays makes him tradeable in a heartbeat ... Guy has missed portions of his first two professional seasons ... unfortunate

34 this year out of 48
last year he missed 14 games splitting time between Nashville & Milwaukee

Scouting Report from Forecaster
Assets: Forechecking is his best asset, thanks to his speed and tenacity on the puck. Has sound instincts and hockey sense. Is skilled with the puck and boasts good scoring upside. Works extremely hard, on and off the ice.
Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League, which could hurt his overall upside as a top-six winger going forward. Needs to prove he can withstand the rigors of the NHL over time.
Career Potential: Tenacious winger with some upside.

Dave is a killer is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  #146
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The kind of game that he plays makes him tradeable in a heartbeat ... Guy has missed portions of his first two professional seasons ... unfortunate

34 this year out of 48
last year he missed 14 games splitting time between Nashville & Milwaukee

Scouting Report from Forecaster
Assets: Forechecking is his best asset, thanks to his speed and tenacity on the puck. Has sound instincts and hockey sense. Is skilled with the puck and boasts good scoring upside. Works extremely hard, on and off the ice.
Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League, which could hurt his overall upside as a top-six winger going forward. Needs to prove he can withstand the rigors of the NHL over time.
Career Potential: Tenacious winger with some upside.
This year he played at the NHL level with a torn meniscus. I agree, durability will be a challenge for him, but just like with Hornqvist, you accept it based on he value he brings.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
  #147
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Bourque isn't our offensive savior, but he's certainly nice to have around. No problem with dealing him if the price is right, but not for scraps

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:44 AM
  #148
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I don't think he's the answer. He's an okay compliment in Chicago where he has high end talent to draw the best defensive assignments. If he's going to come here to be counted on to lead the attack then we're going to be disappointed.

As second liner at a good price, i'm all for it... is he going to sign that deal though?
What is your definition of a 2nd liner at a good price?

Nobody thinks he's going to be "the answer", but he will be at least as good if not better than most of our players. He's in his prime and has put up some the best 3rd line numbers around.

Regardless of team, most teams will match up their best defensive players against the opposing team's "scoring line". So yeah, he probably draws some not great defensive players but so does Nick Spaling.

I assume he's normally matched up against opposing teams top lines, which in a way is harder to score because they like have the ability to keep you pinned in the defensive zone.

In: Staalberg, Horton, D Murray, keep eyes open to teams cutting salary for cap purposes.
Maybe In: Forseberg, (Barkov)
Out: SK, Gill, Gaustad-- but we will have troubles getting takers for these 3

dulzhok is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:22 AM
  #149
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
What is your definition of a 2nd liner at a good price?
I would not give Stalberg more than $3M... and i'm a Stalberg fan since he was at UVM. He puts up Legwand numbers in Chicago, and there's no way he even matches that output in Nashville.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
  #150
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Stalberg isn't "the answer" - no one in this UFA class is - but he can be a nice piece to add.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.