HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Vanek Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Kev22

vCash: 500
Columbus would be interested and has the cap space, picks and prospects to get it done. Vanek would fit fairly well with the group they have now.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
ZeroPT
#23 Futurum

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
done deal
Agreed

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:59 PM
ZeroPT
#23 Futurum

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Columbus would be interested and has the cap space, picks and prospects to get it done. Vanek would fit fairly well with the group they have now.
Jenner+1st(NYR)?

Or

Atkinson
Prout
1st(CBJ)
3rd

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinogol View Post
Jenner+1st(NYR)?

Or

Atkinson
Prout
1st(CBJ)
3rd
For this Jacket fan, I wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on the first one. While Jenner is likely to be a solid NHLer, he hasn't proven anything yet.

The second one is an absolute no. Atkinson and Prout are important pieces to the Jackets future.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
D B. Smith, F Sheahan, draft pick for F Vanek at $3 million cap
Done with the Wings getting DeKeyser that could make Brendan Smith more expendable.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:33 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

If you think Vanek nets less then Pominville did you will all be sorely mistaken. Regier doesn't "lose" trades, Vanek will be dealt for a kings ransom. Teams that want to become cup contenders would gladly trade 1sts + their top prospects because your not going to be able to sign any 35 goal scorers in free agency any time soon.

Young Roster player with top 6 F/top 4 d potential + top prospect + 1st is the minimum Regier will trade Vanek for. David Clarkson is the best goal scorer aside from Iginla available in free agency this year. Any team who wants to take the next step would gladly trade their youngsters and 1sts to acquire an elite goal scorer who is a top 5 LW.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
For this Jacket fan, I wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on the first one. While Jenner is likely to be a solid NHLer, he hasn't proven anything yet.

The second one is an absolute no. Atkinson and Prout are important pieces to the Jackets future.
You have to give to get....you aren't going to get Vanek for secondary prospects.

Buffalo would likely ask for Foligno + 1st ( NYR)+ prospect

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
If you think Vanek nets less then Pominville did you will all be sorely mistaken. Regier doesn't "lose" trades, Vanek will be dealt for a kings ransom. Teams that want to become cup contenders would gladly trade 1sts + their top prospects because your not going to be able to sign any 35 goal scorers in free agency any time soon.

Young Roster player with top 6 F/top 4 d potential + top prospect + 1st is the minimum Regier will trade Vanek for. David Clarkson is the best goal scorer aside from Iginla available in free agency this year. Any team who wants to take the next step would gladly trade their youngsters and 1sts to acquire an elite goal scorer who is a top 5 LW.
There's a huge difference between a 5 mil forward at the deadline with 2 years left on his contract and a 7 mil forward in the offseason with one year left on his prospect. Sure Vanek is better, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him dealt for a comparable or even slightly lesser return than Pominville.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:35 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
There's a huge difference between a 5 mil forward at the deadline with 2 years left on his contract and a 7 mil forward in the offseason with one year left on his prospect. Sure Vanek is better, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him dealt for a comparable or even slightly lesser return than Pominville.
Buffalo can pick up salary/cap hit. Vanek was over a ppg this year. Pominville was at a 50 point pace this year. The extra 10 reg season games and 1 playoff series extra that Minnesota got out of Poms is negated by the fact that Vanek is younger, much better and more productive the last year. At the very least he is returning 2 top prospects and a 1st and 2nd like Pominville.

I wish the Sabres didn't have to trade Vanek, not easy to find 35 goal scorers. But Sabre fans can thank our clown GM, president and owner for totally ****ing up the team and having to "rebuild" and making our best player walk out the door.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
tsujimoto74

Craig Button says he sees something similar to the Burns deal, but thinks Vanek is the better player, so probably a little bit more, which was Setoguchi + Coyle + 1st round pick.

So good roster player, 1st, top prospect + a little something extra.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Hopefully Darth Regier can do a Jedi mind trick and convince Vanek to resign.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
what about Couturier?
I don't think so, even though the value is there in terms of talent. Vanek simply makes too much money for what he brings to the table in a salary cap league. He is a good player but his cap hit is an albatross and that hurts his trade value (see Luongo, Roberto).

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Craig Button says he sees something similar to the Burns deal, but thinks Vanek is the better player, so probably a little bit more, which was Setoguchi + Coyle + 1st round pick.

If Vanek goes to Philly it would be for a package like: Read, Laughton and a 2nd.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Even more true by the fact that Vanek and Miller are Regier's the only real marketable assets he has left if he intends to build around Myers, Hodgson and Ennis. He's dealt all of his other prime poker chips that other teams had interest in (Roy, Pominville, Regehr, Leopold). It remains to be seen if any teams will offer a decent return for underachievers like Stafford, Gerbe or Leino.

It's not only reasonable to expect but very likely that IF Regier trades either Vanek and/or Miller, he'll try to hit home runs with each.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Buffalo can pick up salary/cap hit. Vanek was over a ppg this year. Pominville was at a 50 point pace this year. The extra 10 reg season games and 1 playoff series extra that Minnesota got out of Poms is negated by the fact that Vanek is younger, much better and more productive the last year. At the very least he is returning 2 top prospects and a 1st and 2nd like Pominville.

I wish the Sabres didn't have to trade Vanek, not easy to find 35 goal scorers. But Sabre fans can thank our clown GM, president and owner for totally ****ing up the team and having to "rebuild" and making our best player walk out the door.
The good news for the Sabres is this rebuild could be done very quickly.

With the cap decreasing and the Sabres able to take on salary they could be one of the teams that most benefits from the first time the cap has decreased as they can absorb part of the Miller, Vanek contracts.

Then also take on short term contracts like Ballard or others for very little only to resell as a deadline rental next season for a lot more.

If they do it right this rebuild could only be only 2 or 3 seasons.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
I don't think so, even though the value is there in terms of talent. Vanek simply makes too much money for what he brings to the table in a salary cap league. He is a good player but his cap hit is an albatross and that hurts his trade value (see Luongo, Roberto).
He isn't an albatross....his contract has 1 yr left and buffalo would retain $3M of it.

Luongo is something entirely different......he's paid at fair value at manual salary...but it lasts forever.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
He isn't an albatross....his contract has 1 yr left and buffalo would retain $3M of it.

Luongo is something entirely different......he's paid at fair value at manual salary...but it lasts forever.
Yeah Luongo is an abysmal comparison. His value sucks because his contract will still be active when my first grandchild is born (note: I don't even have kids), and whatever team takes that on is taking a big risk. With the contracts that have been given out so far under the new CBA, 7 mil for player like Vanek isn't even really out of whack.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
dkollidas

Quote:

Maybe something like Foligno/prospect/1st from Columbus? I'd love to get the Foligno's together on the 3rd line with Girgensons in the middle, that'd be downright nasty

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:39 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:

That's how you know everything you're about to type is wrong.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Burns was prepared to sign an extension with the Sharks. Vanek would have to be similarly prepared to do so to generate that kind of return, I'd think.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Zip15

Quote:

Perhaps the Isles, especially with their impending move to Brooklyn. Vanek-Tavares-Moulson would score a metric ****-ton of goals.

Grabner + Brock Nelson + 2013 1st (15th overall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Burns was prepared to sign an extension with the Sharks. Vanek would have to be similarly prepared to do so to generate that kind of return, I'd think.
I think Vanek is going to re-sign with the team to whom he is traded. He just doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. Presumably, any team that acquires him will be trying to win now, and will be prepared to compensate him behind next season.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:10 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
If Vanek goes to Philly it would be for a package like: Read, Laughton and a 2nd.
You don't exchange a quarter for two nickels and a dime. I understand why the Flyers likely wouldn't make upgrading at LW their main priority though so I'm sure that offer reflects that. Other teams have a bigger need for a top line winger and will offer more as a result; I have no doubt.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
You don't exchange a quarter for two nickels and a dime. I understand why the Flyers likely wouldn't make upgrading at LW their main priority though so I'm sure that offer reflects that. Other teams have a bigger need for a top line winger and will offer more as a result; I have no doubt.
I dunno. Laughton is a very underrated prospect, and Matt Read is a 25 goal, 50 point-type winger who plays in all situations.

I think most Flyers fans would hate that deal. I know I would.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:51 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I dunno. Laughton is a very underrated prospect, and Matt Read is a 25 goal, 50 point-type winger who plays in all situations.

I think most Flyers fans would hate that deal. I know I would.
Yeah maybe most would. I view Laughton as a potential 3rd line center who plays good defense, but doesn't have the offensive chops to play a top 6 role. We've already got a better version of Laughton in our system in Girgensons and possibly even Larsson. Read is a nice player and would be a welcome addition but he's on the small side and I don't see him having the type of offensive success with our team he has had with the Flyers (averaging around 50 points). Ultimately I'm not cool with moving Vanek in a deal with Read as the centerpiece. We'd be better served having a better prospect or pick as the centerpiece of a Vanek trade. It would allow us to rebuild properly, not just toil in mediocrity.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM
roon

I think MN would be content to let someone use him as a rental only to sign him when he becomes a UFA. No need to gut your prospect pool when everyone knows he is going to come home to finish his career.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote