HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's more to do with them being older players with family that don't want to leave home to Russia where they'd be socially more on the outside. It's why many Finnish KHL players don't have their family with them in KHL, even if they live in a "good city/area" and play for a good organization. Since daddy's there only a for a couple of seasons collecting retirement funds, no reason to uproot the family for that time period. A lot of these players have already their own built houses which they don't want leave. Not to mention the children's schools. E.g. Niklas Hagman's family lived in Pori because on their kids has a speech problem which requires a special teacher that one can only find in Finland.
These guys are career guys, thats how they make their living. So by that logic if Hagman was on a long term NHL deal he would quit once his retirement fund is set so he can go home and live in the nice house he built and send his son to a special school... I dont think so - Hagman has "uprooted" his family already by playing in the NHL for 10 + years. Playing in the KHL is like a vacation to him now - shorter season, closer to Finland, long mid season breaks for the tournaments so he can go home and visit family... oh and your right, the money is good for his pension fund too.
So by that logic, the KHL has a huge advantage over the NHL.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
Why do Russians even care about northern euro players is beyond me, let alone pay top $$ for them. Their home boys play more interesting gametype. And are just great to watch, even when you don't have rooting interest.
I'm beside myself since Medvescak got accepted to KHL. And believe me, it's not cause I can't wait to see "my" AHL team at our rink.
Yeah I don't get it, Russian players are clearly better by default, someone should tell the NHL too. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to kick out Zetterberg, Bäckström and the others to take in more Russians. Uninteresting bunch of players, that's what they are.

Quote:
These guys are career guys, thats how they make their living. So by that logic if Hagman was on a long term NHL deal he would quit once his retirement fund is set so he can go home and live in the nice house he built and send his son to a special school... I dont think so - Hagman has "uprooted" his family already by playing in the NHL for 10 + years. Playing in the KHL is like a vacation to him now - shorter season, closer to Finland, long mid season breaks for the tournaments so he can go home and visit family... oh and your right, the money is good for his pension fund too.
The KHL overpays players, so going to KHL to collect a ton of money they couldn't get anywhere else because:
1: The swedish/finnish league can't/won't match.
2: They are not good enough for the NHL/they play 4th line minutes and gets a low salary.
It's really simple.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
ViD

Quote:
Why do Russians even care about northern euro players is beyond me, let alone pay top $$ for them. Their home boys play more interesting gametype. And are just great to watch, even when you don't have rooting interest.
I'm beside myself since Medvescak got accepted to KHL. And believe me, it's not cause I can't wait to see "my" AHL team at our rink.
because there are Scandinavian players that are better hockey players than some Russian guys? Yeah, that would be the main reason.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Hagman's already done with NHL, I was just pointing him out as a case of early 30's guy who's done with NHL/not good enough for that league anymore and whose family would rather stay back home than go to Russia. The speech problem of his son is the main reason why they won't leave Finland. Jarkko Immonen's family has stayed home as well IIRC.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:59 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
because there are Scandinavian players that are better hockey players than some Russian guys? Yeah, that would be the main reason.
Key word would be "some"

As for post above, I'd say same thing - some. Not to mention that best Scandinavians, as well as bestvRussians, are not available to KHL.

But you're missing the point. It's just that Russians are more fun to watch, especially to out-of-town europian viewers. I understand you support your home players. That's only normal. But Russians are artists on ice. It is a shame that best of them are forced to play ugly and more boring NA game, and you get to see just flashes of what they can give.
Myself, as foreigner to all this, would pick to watch Russian hockey game over Scandinavian any day.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Key word would be "some"

As for post above, I'd say same thing - some. Not to mention that best Scandinavians, as well as bestvRussians, are not available to KHL.

But you're missing the point. It's just that Russians are more fun to watch, especially to out-of-town europian viewers. I understand you support your home players. That's only normal. But Russians are artists on ice. It is a shame that best of them are forced to play ugly and more boring NA game, and you get to see just flashes of what they can give.
Myself, as foreigner to all this, would pick to watch Russian hockey game over Scandinavian any day.
I'm not sure if you're trolling, but if you are, you should use the after your post. Just a tip, people might think you're being serious otherwise.

On the offchance that you're actually serious, is the allstar game your favourite time of the year? Is harlem globetrotters your favourite basketball team ever?
Most teams prefer to win, but hey, what do they know, I'm with you! I'd rather be last and play fun than win and play boring. Let's kick out the scandinavians and replace them with worse Russians, the teams will suck, but they'll play fun.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:44 AM
marquinhos

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33497

Old
05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquinhos View Post
....keep the pockets wide

Old
05-07-2013, 05:51 AM
doctorgreg

rumors about Hannover Scorpions

http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/news/2013..._2896161.shtml in russian
http://www.ndr.de/sport/mehr_sport/scorpions643.html in german

Old
05-07-2013, 06:33 AM
russianhockey

the german club hannover scorpions is really in trouble.
looks like they will apply for the khl in the next season:

http://allhockey.ru/khl/news/150941/

http://www.hockeyfans.at/c/6/hockeyf...n-die-khl.html

Old
05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post

current club or new one? I read at NDR.de that they want to sell DEL licence and relocate to other city due to some new arena in Hannover. And some rumours about selling club to Russians. My german sucks, so...

Old
05-07-2013, 07:10 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post

Screw them. Let them buuuurn.

Sorry, getting tired of all those beggars.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
Screw them. Let them buuuurn.

Sorry, getting tired of all those beggars.
They should turn that that down and lock the league until for until there's enough quality players available to fill the current rosters with adequate players.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:26 AM
ult

Quote:
They should turn that that down and lock the league until for until there's enough quality players available to fill the current rosters with adequate players.
You would very much like it, wouldn't you?

I think we know where to get more migrant workers if we need to. Will those leagues will be reduced and locked on one or two teams worth of adequate players?

Old
05-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
You would very much like it, wouldn't you?
Well it would benefit all parties involved.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Peter25

Quote:
I think they should rather increase the limit of foreign players in Russian teams to seven or eight. I'm not sure it is a good idea to remove the import limit altogether but currently there are not enough quality Russian players for all the Russian KHL teams.

For example Omsk cannot sign two Swedes Simon Hjalmarsson and Johan Fransson without buying out existing contracts of import players. To avoid these situation the import limit should be raised.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Vicente

The Scorpions barely have more than 3,000 fans at their games, even in the year when they were champions (2010). I don't see them selling even 5,000 tickets for KHL games. Why would KHL want this team? lol

Old
05-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
The Scorpions barely have more than 3,000 fans at their games, even in the year when they were champions (2010). I don't see them selling even 5,000 tickets for KHL games. Why would KHL want this team? lol
as westernmost club ?

Old
05-08-2013, 04:56 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
easy, buy Scorpions, relocate to another city with bigger support.

Old
05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
easy, buy Scorpions, relocate to another city with bigger support.
And why would KHL need to buy this bunch of losers who couldn't manage their club properly? They're obviously bad at it.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:06 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
And why would KHL need to buy this bunch of losers who couldn't manage their club properly? They're obviously bad at it.
You can be right. On the other hand it is better to buy existing club than to create new one. At least, you have people (employees) who have experiance with hockey bussiness.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Red Ice in Swi is loading up on Russian Speaking players, I have counted 5. Are they getting ready, lol?) Oh, coaches Malgin/Fedulov...got it now)

Old
05-08-2013, 12:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Reading a ton of info the last couple of days about potential teams and I found this on wiki.

HC Vladivostok [RUS] *Confirmed*
KHL Medveščak [CRO] *Confirmed*
Milano Rossoblu [ITA] *Unknown*
HC Sochi [RUS]
Rubin Tyumen [RUS]
HC Lada Togliatti [RUS]
HC Berkut [UKR]
Olivia Gdańsk [POL]
Stavanger Oilers [NOR]
Hannover Scorpions [GER]

The most interesting one is this,
Helvetics [SUI]

Considering how many potential sponsorships there are in Switzerland is it a matter of time before they join?

Old
05-08-2013, 12:53 PM
ult

All of this have been discussed in this and previous expansion threads a numerous times already. Sometimes the news appeared here even before they spread out in mass media. I don't think there is anything left to discuss without the new info. Yes, Helvetics is some suspicious looking project that has been somewhat officially confirmed. We've seen this so many times already (we as a people who follow KHL expansion plans), so projects like Budivelnik, Vetra, AIK etc have taught us that nothing is set in stone. And it's not always as simple as just finding the sponsorship.

Have you read their plans? Building an arena in the middle of nowhere, joining in 2015 and stuff like that? Doesn't look realistic at all.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Torsten S
@Pucksport

Quote:
Just take a look at the map. Hannover just is at a perfect spot in Germany to attract also people who not live around the corner. Hamburg 160 km, Berlin, Ruhr district and Cologne about 300 km, Frankfurt 350 km.

I would really like it to have a second KHL team within reach.

Closed Thread