HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question: Steve Eminger

Old
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life

vCash: 500
Question: Steve Eminger

Hey gang,

You all have more important things on your mind, but I'd like to get your take on Eminger. If I have the facts straight, he's a pending UFA with a solid +/- playing 12-15 minutes per game. Seems like a decent third pairing D for any team that needs help on the back end.

Will he be available this summer, or do you see the Rangers locking him up?

Last edited by Vieille Barbe: 05-03-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I think they'll try to keep him

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Alien Valuating

I think we'll try and keep Eminger around as the 6th/7th, would be a good stopgap for another year until McIlrath is ready for consistent minutes. Gilroy and Hamrlik should both be let go this summer.

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
NYR Viper

Torts really likes him and he fits the style and system well. I hope they keep him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
eco's bones

He's a guy you sign a year at a time. He is a good bottom pairing guy who can step up and take extra minutes if need be. I like Steve but he's getting to his 30's now and he is what he is. If Sauer had come back he wouldn't be in our current lineup and McIlrath should in the next year or two push him out at least if we keep Stralman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Tawnos

I've been happy with Eminger for a while now. Last year, I felt like his season got damaged/derailed by his injury. Remember, Tortorella was happy with his play, even giving him shout outs in meetings (like we saw in 24/7). This year, I feel like he's pretty much played the way he did before he got hurt last year.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I've been happy with Eminger for a while now. Last year, I felt like his season got damaged/derailed by his injury. Remember, Tortorella was happy with his play, even giving him shout outs in meetings (like we saw in 24/7). This year, I feel like he's pretty much played the way he did before he got hurt last year.
I thought that was Stralman in 24/7.

Alphaphaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
I thought that was Stralman in 24/7.
He was praising Eminger while he was chastising Stralsy

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Cake or Death

I honestly don't know, I gave up trying to understand Sather after he gave Bobby Holik 9 million per.

Cake or Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieille Barbe View Post
Hey gang,

You all have more important things on your mind, but I'd like to get your take on Eminger. If I have the facts straight, he's a pending UFA with a solid +/- playing 12-15 minutes per game. Seems like a decent third pairing D for any team that needs help on the back end.

Will he be available this summer, or do you see the Rangers locking him up?
Eminger must be resigned because if he isnt we could see Bickel back on this blueline if McIlrath needs more time in the AHL which i wouldnt mind if he is not ready. Gilroy and Hamrlik can retire for all i care.. they are horrible.. Gilroy is useless and Hamrlik was good about a decade ago.. he is old and slow now.. pretty useless as well....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Depends what he wants. Ideally he's going to be no better than a 7th defenseman next year (behind McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal Del Zotto, Stralman and Moore). I'm not terrible impressed by him.

05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Before Eminger, or 7th defensemen were

Corey Potter (Behind Gilroy)
Erik Reitz
Jason Strudwick
Thomas Pock

So I'm actually really pleased with his performance in that role. Question is does he want to go to a team where he'll start next year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Hard to believe Bickel was in the lineup over him for quite a few games.

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
rangers1314

He's basically a competent bum. I think they will bring him back on another 1 yr deal and give Dylan Mc another full season in the AHL

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Before Eminger, or 7th defensemen were

Corey Potter (Behind Gilroy)
Erik Reitz
Jason Strudwick
Thomas Pock

So I'm actually really pleased with his performance in that role. Question is does he want to go to a team where he'll start next year.
Not to make him out to be the 2nd coming....but how did they let Potter go for nothing?

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Not to make him out to be the 2nd coming....but how did they let Potter go for nothing?
3rd pairing dmen get dropped and found frequently. Hell, we got Stralman for nothing, and he is better than Potter is.

If this organization should be regretting letting anyone go for nothing recently it should be PA Parenteau.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
3rd pairing dmen get dropped and found frequently. Hell, we got Stralman for nothing, and he is better than Potter is.

If this organization should be regretting letting anyone go for nothing recently it should be PA Parenteau.
so i guess the Ducks and Hawks should regret letting him go for nothing as well. dime a dozen player. certain players need to be on bad teams with not alot of depth to produce... PA Parenteau is one of them

Old
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Sub par defenseman who plays really, really hard. a good 7th

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
dethomas07

he'll stay here.. we'll resign him.. he took a significant paycut to play here this year.. he doesn't want to leave.. plus hes good value for how he plays forsure!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
he'll stay here.. we'll resign him.. he took a significant paycut to play here this year.. he doesn't want to leave.. plus hes good value for how he plays forsure!
solid dman vet cheap and never complains.. id keep him for as long as he helps this team..

Old
05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Kershaw

He sucks, would prefer to pony up a bit and sign a competent veteran defenseman like Rob Scuderi to solidify the bottom pairing.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He sucks, would prefer to pony up a bit and sign a competent veteran defenseman like Rob Scuderi to solidify the bottom pairing.
The last contract Scuderi signed was for $13.6 mil over 4 years. Not a sensible contract for the Rangers with Staal and Girardi moving into their prime years and other young d-men--McDonagh, Del Zotto coming along and when you're trying to add 1st liners going the UFA route. Could Scuderi even fit into our top 4?--and again if he couldn't that's too much money for a bottom pairing guy.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The last contract Scuderi signed was for $13.6 mil over 4 years. Not a sensible contract for the Rangers with Staal and Girardi moving into their prime years and other young d-men--McDonagh, Del Zotto coming along and when you're trying to add 1st liners going the UFA route. Could Scuderi even fit into our top 4?--and again if he couldn't that's too much money for a bottom pairing guy.
Sure he could. Scuderi is 35 and is looking at a last contract. I would give him easily 4m per for 3 years rather than pay Clowe/Clarkson. I do think bottom pairing is underrating his abilities.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Scuderi
Moore-Stralman

Staal(out with eye injury/traded to Carolina)

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Sure he could. Scuderi is 35 and is looking at a last contract. I would give him easily 4m per for 3 years rather than pay Clowe/Clarkson. I do think bottom pairing is underrating his abilities.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Scuderi
Moore-Stralman

Staal(out with eye injury/traded to Carolina)
Don't bet on that happening. If Rangers do much on the free agent market--it's more likely going to be forwards--it's not likely that they're going to sign an aging stay at home d-man to a 3 year $12 mil contract even if they do move Staal to Carolina. More likely that if they feel a need to bring in another d-man because of moving Staal he'll be younger and probably cheaper than a $4 mil cap hit.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
so i guess the Ducks and Hawks should regret letting him go for nothing as well. dime a dozen player. certain players need to be on bad teams with not alot of depth to produce... PA Parenteau is one of them
Considering he outscored everyone on our team this year, I'd say our club is one of them.

For Eminger, I won't be broken up if he isn't brought back. He is alright, but if everything shapes up we wouldn't need to drop 1 million on a 7th dman.