HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question: Steve Eminger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  #1
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life
 
Vieille Barbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hockey Paradise
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Question: Steve Eminger

Hey gang,

You all have more important things on your mind, but I'd like to get your take on Eminger. If I have the facts straight, he's a pending UFA with a solid +/- playing 12-15 minutes per game. Seems like a decent third pairing D for any team that needs help on the back end.

Will he be available this summer, or do you see the Rangers locking him up?


Last edited by Vieille Barbe: 05-03-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
  #2
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
I think they'll try to keep him

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  #3
Alien Valuating
Registered User
 
Alien Valuating's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens
Posts: 673
vCash: 500
I think we'll try and keep Eminger around as the 6th/7th, would be a good stopgap for another year until McIlrath is ready for consistent minutes. Gilroy and Hamrlik should both be let go this summer.

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
  #4
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Torts really likes him and he fits the style and system well. I hope they keep him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #5
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,586
vCash: 500
He's a guy you sign a year at a time. He is a good bottom pairing guy who can step up and take extra minutes if need be. I like Steve but he's getting to his 30's now and he is what he is. If Sauer had come back he wouldn't be in our current lineup and McIlrath should in the next year or two push him out at least if we keep Stralman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #6
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,035
vCash: 500
I've been happy with Eminger for a while now. Last year, I felt like his season got damaged/derailed by his injury. Remember, Tortorella was happy with his play, even giving him shout outs in meetings (like we saw in 24/7). This year, I feel like he's pretty much played the way he did before he got hurt last year.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #7
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I've been happy with Eminger for a while now. Last year, I felt like his season got damaged/derailed by his injury. Remember, Tortorella was happy with his play, even giving him shout outs in meetings (like we saw in 24/7). This year, I feel like he's pretty much played the way he did before he got hurt last year.
I thought that was Stralman in 24/7.

Alphaphaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
  #8
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
I thought that was Stralman in 24/7.
He was praising Eminger while he was chastising Stralsy

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  #9
Cake or Death
Registered User
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
I honestly don't know, I gave up trying to understand Sather after he gave Bobby Holik 9 million per.

Cake or Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
  #10
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieille Barbe View Post
Hey gang,

You all have more important things on your mind, but I'd like to get your take on Eminger. If I have the facts straight, he's a pending UFA with a solid +/- playing 12-15 minutes per game. Seems like a decent third pairing D for any team that needs help on the back end.

Will he be available this summer, or do you see the Rangers locking him up?
Eminger must be resigned because if he isnt we could see Bickel back on this blueline if McIlrath needs more time in the AHL which i wouldnt mind if he is not ready. Gilroy and Hamrlik can retire for all i care.. they are horrible.. Gilroy is useless and Hamrlik was good about a decade ago.. he is old and slow now.. pretty useless as well....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
  #11
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,342
vCash: 500
Awards:
Depends what he wants. Ideally he's going to be no better than a 7th defenseman next year (behind McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal Del Zotto, Stralman and Moore). I'm not terrible impressed by him.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  #12
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,192
vCash: 50
Before Eminger, or 7th defensemen were

Corey Potter (Behind Gilroy)
Erik Reitz
Jason Strudwick
Thomas Pock

So I'm actually really pleased with his performance in that role. Question is does he want to go to a team where he'll start next year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  #13
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Hard to believe Bickel was in the lineup over him for quite a few games.

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
  #14
rangers1314
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
He's basically a competent bum. I think they will bring him back on another 1 yr deal and give Dylan Mc another full season in the AHL

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #15
rangers1314
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Before Eminger, or 7th defensemen were

Corey Potter (Behind Gilroy)
Erik Reitz
Jason Strudwick
Thomas Pock

So I'm actually really pleased with his performance in that role. Question is does he want to go to a team where he'll start next year.
Not to make him out to be the 2nd coming....but how did they let Potter go for nothing?

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
  #16
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,192
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Not to make him out to be the 2nd coming....but how did they let Potter go for nothing?
3rd pairing dmen get dropped and found frequently. Hell, we got Stralman for nothing, and he is better than Potter is.

If this organization should be regretting letting anyone go for nothing recently it should be PA Parenteau.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #17
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
3rd pairing dmen get dropped and found frequently. Hell, we got Stralman for nothing, and he is better than Potter is.

If this organization should be regretting letting anyone go for nothing recently it should be PA Parenteau.
so i guess the Ducks and Hawks should regret letting him go for nothing as well. dime a dozen player. certain players need to be on bad teams with not alot of depth to produce... PA Parenteau is one of them

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
  #18
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Sub par defenseman who plays really, really hard. a good 7th

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  #19
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
he'll stay here.. we'll resign him.. he took a significant paycut to play here this year.. he doesn't want to leave.. plus hes good value for how he plays forsure!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
  #20
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
he'll stay here.. we'll resign him.. he took a significant paycut to play here this year.. he doesn't want to leave.. plus hes good value for how he plays forsure!
solid dman vet cheap and never complains.. id keep him for as long as he helps this team..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
  #21
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
He sucks, would prefer to pony up a bit and sign a competent veteran defenseman like Rob Scuderi to solidify the bottom pairing.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
  #22
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He sucks, would prefer to pony up a bit and sign a competent veteran defenseman like Rob Scuderi to solidify the bottom pairing.
The last contract Scuderi signed was for $13.6 mil over 4 years. Not a sensible contract for the Rangers with Staal and Girardi moving into their prime years and other young d-men--McDonagh, Del Zotto coming along and when you're trying to add 1st liners going the UFA route. Could Scuderi even fit into our top 4?--and again if he couldn't that's too much money for a bottom pairing guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
  #23
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The last contract Scuderi signed was for $13.6 mil over 4 years. Not a sensible contract for the Rangers with Staal and Girardi moving into their prime years and other young d-men--McDonagh, Del Zotto coming along and when you're trying to add 1st liners going the UFA route. Could Scuderi even fit into our top 4?--and again if he couldn't that's too much money for a bottom pairing guy.
Sure he could. Scuderi is 35 and is looking at a last contract. I would give him easily 4m per for 3 years rather than pay Clowe/Clarkson. I do think bottom pairing is underrating his abilities.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Scuderi
Moore-Stralman

Staal(out with eye injury/traded to Carolina)

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
  #24
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Sure he could. Scuderi is 35 and is looking at a last contract. I would give him easily 4m per for 3 years rather than pay Clowe/Clarkson. I do think bottom pairing is underrating his abilities.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Scuderi
Moore-Stralman

Staal(out with eye injury/traded to Carolina)
Don't bet on that happening. If Rangers do much on the free agent market--it's more likely going to be forwards--it's not likely that they're going to sign an aging stay at home d-man to a 3 year $12 mil contract even if they do move Staal to Carolina. More likely that if they feel a need to bring in another d-man because of moving Staal he'll be younger and probably cheaper than a $4 mil cap hit.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:51 PM
  #25
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,192
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
so i guess the Ducks and Hawks should regret letting him go for nothing as well. dime a dozen player. certain players need to be on bad teams with not alot of depth to produce... PA Parenteau is one of them
Considering he outscored everyone on our team this year, I'd say our club is one of them.

For Eminger, I won't be broken up if he isn't brought back. He is alright, but if everything shapes up we wouldn't need to drop 1 million on a 7th dman.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.