HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Is there a possibility of a radical move like building the arena somewhere else in the city?
The city already owns the land, the design phase is almost done, and there are a bunch of projects being designed around the arena going up in that spot now.

So not really

Old
05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Is there a possibility of a radical move like building the arena somewhere else in the city?
I think that Katz owns the land and has bought up all the land around it, so that would really piss him off if the city said find a different location. But where else could it be built to within the city limits. Only other big empty areas are North of Northlands. The Southeast is starting to build up now. It is probably best in the center of the city though.

never mind, I guess the city owns the land according to Tarus.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:18 PM
tsnTpoint

Calgary is going to have a new arena built before this joke of a city Edmonton can get anything done.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6000
Wouldn't Katz be asked to sell the team to someone who would keep it in Edmonton before he would be given approval to move the team to another city?

The Oilers make money. Unlike the other teams that are considered for relocation.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Calgary is going to have a new arena built before this joke of a city Edmonton can get anything done.
Calgary doesn't want the hassle. They never have. They'll follow the Edmonton situation for as long as possible, hoping that we find a solution, before proceeding on their own.

Honestly, they probably won't have a problem with provincial funding.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Calgary doesn't want the hassle. They never have. They'll follow the Edmonton situation for as long as possible, hoping that we find a solution, before proceeding on their own.

Honestly, they probably won't have a problem with provincial funding.
They are proceeding down there, they just do things far quieter than they do in Edmonton, in a much more pro-business environment, in a city that likes it's owners a ton more(the Northlands equivalent down there gave up all revenue on that building to the flames ownership group a long time ago).

It's also part of why the province is so adamantly against any kind of participation, they know full well any money that goes into Edmonton's arena will have to be doubled up. In essence, Edmonton is fighting Calgary's arena battle for them.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
They are proceeding down there, they just do things far quieter than they do in Edmonton, in a much more pro-business environment, in a city that likes it's owners a ton more(the Northlands equivalent down there gave up all revenue on that building to the flames ownership group a long time ago).

It's also part of why the province is so adamantly against any kind of participation, they know full well any money that goes into Edmonton's arena will have to be doubled up. In essence, Edmonton is fighting Calgary's arena battle for them.
Yeah & their owners have just a wee bit more integrity than Katz. Like I doubt they would agree & then reneg god knows how many times, & move the goalposts seemingly every 5 minutes.
I also doubt they make junkets to Quebec City, Hamilton & Seattle every now & then in a transparent attempt to extort concessions out of their City.
Lastly, I really doubt their greed could equal Katz's.
So at the end of the day, yeah, Im sure their arena negotiations will be just a wee bit smoother than the Oilers,. And thats even without their mayor been a seeming puppet for the ownership group.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:43 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Wouldn't Katz be asked to sell the team to someone who would keep it in Edmonton before he would be given approval to move the team to another city?

The Oilers make money. Unlike the other teams that are considered for relocation.
I think the NHL is loyal to places like Phoenix because the city stepped up and funded their arena. It hurts the NHL if they don't go to bat for cities that have paid up. I don't think they seem particularly loyal to places that don't pay like Nassau.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I think the NHL is loyal to places like Phoenix because the city stepped up and funded their arena. It hurts the NHL if they don't go to bat for cities that have paid up. I don't think they seem particularly loyal to places that don't pay like Nassau.
They were very loyal to Nassau. Very. Even with the arena been a dump & the team drawing flies.
Know your history.

Last edited by Billybaroo*: 05-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
whats 60 million to a billionaire like Katz? Or over 20 yrs to tax payers? The money the new arena would generate would help everyone..I think whoever is fighting this is doin so just for the sake of their own ego.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, Sohi and Anderson have said that they'll vote "nay" on Wednesday so the ratio changes from 8-5 to 8-7 if it comes down to a vote -- which Sohi suggests they postpone.

Nobody has a solution after so much money and so much time has been invested? All of this hang-wringing over 55 million, which is nothing in the grand scheme of the project? Really?

Old
05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, Sohi and Anderson have said that they'll vote "nay" on Wednesday so the ratio changes from 8-5 to 8-7 if it comes down to a vote -- which Sohi suggests they postpone.

Nobody has a solution after so much money and so much time has been invested? All of this hang-wringing over 55 million, which is nothing in the grand scheme of the project? Really?
Well, Uncle Daryl hasnt offered up anything additional has he?

Old
05-03-2013, 07:34 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
why dont they jusy split the 55 mill and call it a day? Or divide the remaining cost between Katz, The City, and the province..if everyone just gives a little more then its really almost nothin compared to 500 mill..
Or maybe that makes to much sense.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
They were very loyal to Nassau. Very. Even with the arena been a dump & the team drawing flies.
Know your history.
No, Wang was loyal to Nassau. Wang was also loyal to his insane TV deal. The NHL was pretty indifferent to the franchise.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
why dont they jusy split the 55 mill and call it a day? Or divide the remaining cost between Katz, The City, and the province..if everyone just gives a little more then its really almost nothin compared to 500 mill..
Or maybe that makes to much sense.
Or maybe the Provincial govt needs to stop passing the buck and come up with the difference.

Perhaps hockey fans should be phoning their MLA's?

Old
05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Yeah & their owners have just a wee bit more integrity than Katz. Like I doubt they would agree & then reneg god knows how many times, & move the goalposts seemingly every 5 minutes.
I also doubt they make junkets to Quebec City, Hamilton & Seattle every now & then in a transparent attempt to extort concessions out of their City.
Lastly, I really doubt their greed could equal Katz's.
So at the end of the day, yeah, Im sure their arena negotiations will be just a wee bit smoother than the Oilers,. And thats even without their mayor been a seeming puppet for the ownership group.
Man, you've got a massive grudge against Katz don't you, maybe taking it a bit too personally there.

It's a tough business negotiation involving hundreds of millions of dollars, that just happens to have large media element. There is nothing unusual about the tactics Katz has been using, which have been typical in many arena negotiations over the last 30 years across North America - which includes threats, and actual relocations of major franchises in various sports.

As for the "greed" stuff, which is kind of absurd statement about a man who is very generous to various charities in the community. You don't think his "greed" might have something to do with the fact that the privately funded arenas in this country outside of Toronto have caused significant problems for the owners of those teams? Ottawa - bankrupt, Vancouver - forced to sell the team due to overextending on arena, Montreal - forced to sell majority ownership due to overspending on the Bell Center.

There are very real reasons why Katz is driving a hard line in these negotiations.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Hockey Nightmare

If this doesn't go through after all this crap, they can pat themselves on the back all they like, but as far as i'm concerned, this would have been a giant waste of time, money and emotional energy. All in all, poor leadership.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:40 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Man, you've got a massive grudge against Katz don't you, maybe taking it a bit too personally there.

It's a tough business negotiation involving hundreds of millions of dollars, that just happens to have large media element. There is nothing unusual about the tactics Katz has been using, which have been typical in many arena negotiations over the last 30 years across North America - which includes threats, and actual relocations of major franchises in various sports.

As for the "greed" stuff, which is kind of absurd statement about a man who is very generous to various charities in the community. You don't think his "greed" might have something to do with the fact that the privately funded arenas in this country outside of Toronto have caused significant problems for the owners of those teams? Ottawa - bankrupt, Vancouver - forced to sell the team due to overextending on arena, Montreal - forced to sell majority ownership due to overspending on the Bell Center.

There are very real reasons why Katz is driving a hard line in these negotiations.
How dare you bring facts and logic into this thread?

I love it when people bring up the Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa arena deals as examples as to why Katz should pay for the arena myself without mentioning the facts you just did. I also love when people bring up the fact that before Katz moves the team he should sell it...I guess to one of the many billionaires in Edmonton? Or perhaps another EIG- who also said the team can't survive without a new arena?

Old
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Or maybe the Provincial govt needs to stop passing the buck and come up with the difference.

Provincial govt that is running a billion dollar deficit?

Old
05-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:

Redford gives money to Edmonton and Calgary will come demanding money as well.

A province running a billion dollar deficit is hardly in any position to be funding a millionaires playground for the upper class.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:

Perhaps the govt can find a way to "hide" the funds through lotteries the way the Manitoba Govt did with the MTS Centre.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
timekeep

Quote:

My MLA is getting an earfull about School that isnt get built yet again that he promised. Province better not be making up the difference.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
If this doesn't go through after all this crap, they can pat themselves on the back all they like, but as far as i'm concerned, this would have been a giant waste of time, money and emotional energy. All in all, poor leadership.
Yup. I'd consider emailing or tweeting councilors with that sentiment but they'll just deflect it.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:55 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Redford gives money to Edmonton and Calgary will come demanding money as well.

A province running a billion dollar deficit is hardly in any position to be funding a millionaires playground for the upper class.
And that is why the Coyotes are on the verge of moving.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezsannich View Post
And that is why the Coyotes are on the verge of moving.
From Pheonix.

Closed Thread