HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders re-sign Rick DiPietro to a 15-year, $67.5M contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2006, 09:02 AM
VO5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Source: Nick Kypreos, FAN 590, 7:20 AM

Old
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
This is true, however it is reasonable to assume that salaries will continue to rise. If revenues -- attendance and whatnot -- remain consistent, the cap limit and salaries should rise at a rate consistent with inflation. Ticket prices will rise, TV deals will generate more money, all at a rate that is closely tied to inflation and the price of competing entertainment and goods rising at the same rate.

If we assume 4% inflation (which tends to be the average rate of inflation), steady popularity and economy, and a similar CBA throughout (though, any of these variables could affect this both positively and negatively) in 10 years, he will be making an equivalent of 3.15m in today's terms, and in his final year, he'll be making 2.6m. If he's a legit starter through those years, he will be a good deal, and even if he unerplays the contract it won't be in a team crippling way, especially with Yashin's contract long gone.

Good post. I've been working with roughly the same assumptions in terms of inflation and impact on this contract.

Where I see this contract having the most impact on the success of the team, is that it's a sign by Wang that he's committed "long-term" to this franchise. That's the worst news out of this whole mess, as, adequate management and Charles Wang do not go together at all it seems. True, he may get bored of it one day, but, a long contract, even if it isn't a bad contract, is always a stumbling block when a franchise goes up for sale, and makes it harder to unload.

Old
09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
If the Isle thought RPD had really lost it, and was never going to get it back, they could buy out any remaining years at $3M per ($4.5M contract amount x 2/3) and he becomes a UFA. If they had to buy out the last 5 years of the contract - it would cost them $15M and they would have a $1.5M per year cap hit for 10 years (spread the buy-out over twice the remaining contract length).
Is it really worth $15M just to get rid of someone? I could see like 2 or 3 million but to give someone $15M just to get lost, that's not the greatest assest management I've seen...

Old
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Good post. I've been working with roughly the same assumptions in terms of inflation and impact on this contract.

Where I see this contract having the most impact on the success of the team, is that it's a sign by Wang that he's committed "long-term" to this franchise. That's the worst news out of this whole mess, as, adequate management and Charles Wang do not go together at all it seems. True, he may get bored of it one day, but, a long contract, even if it isn't a bad contract, is always a stumbling block when a franchise goes up for sale, and makes it harder to unload.

DS, I agree with you completely. Wang has given his team too long-term liabilities. That would make it virtually impossible for him to sell the team later. I guess the only possible out would be if the real estate holdings (the new Hub center in Nassau) become so valuable that the whole mess can get sold at a good price.

But, I read this deal in exactly the way you do. Its a sign that Wang has long term plans for the Isles.

Old
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
DS, I agree with you completely. Wang has given his team too long-term liabilities. That would make it virtually impossible for him to sell the team later. I guess the only possible out would be if the real estate holdings (the new Hub center in Nassau) become so valuable that the whole mess can get sold at a good price.

But, I read this deal in exactly the way you do. Its a sign that Wang has long term plans for the Isles.
Or if the Hub and Lighthouse become such large dealings that they require his full attention, and he can leave the hockey to the people who understand hockey. Maybe learning somewhere along the way that he should simply hire a good hockey man to run the hockey parts. Who knows, maybe Garth Snow will even make a decent GM if left to his own devices.

Old
09-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Coffee and 7's*

Now I got it. The reason for giving out such crazy contracts to Yashin and DiPietro is to motivate young players on the team to play good cause they think they can get a good contract like that if they work hard enough! and to attract Free Agents to sign with the isles!

Closed Thread