HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Adopt a Band Wagon Fan

Old
04-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I don't understand the "bandwagoner" criteria, I guess. Becoming a fan of a team that's good? In that case, is everyone who has become a Wings fan in the post-Dead Things era a bandwagoner? People either don't remember or choose to forget how abysmal the Wings were and how they weren't exactly packing the fans into the stands. The Sabres fans are a lot fewer & far between here than they used to be and there are a lot more Kings fans, just as two examples. Every fan base bandwagons to some extent. Every single one.

I started watching the Pens in about 1986, I think. I may be a year off in either direction but I was a little kid so I don't remember for sure. It was post-Mario but several years pre-Cups. Even with this many years invested and so many ups and downs I don't understand why people get on such a high horse about bandwagoners. Who really gives a ****?
I never really understood the liberal use of the word nowadays. For me, a bandwagon fan is someone who literally follows winners, jumping from team to team depending on who is dominating/winning championships at a given time.

I don't agree with labeling people a bandwagon fan if they so happen to get into the sport, or are re-interested in a sport, by cheering for a team with a superstar player, so long as they don't do what I described above. After all, a lot of kids who get into sports do so cheering for the Gretzkys, Lemieuxs, Jordans, etc. So it's only natural that some of those teams will have more "new" fans when those players play for them.

I don't know. As long as the person doesn't literally change teams like they do their underwear, I see nothing wrong with a person cheering for the Pens now because of Crosby/Malkin (or Washington because of Ovie, or TBay because of Stamkos) as long as they remain fans of that team instead of changing allegiances as soon as a new team starts winning.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:54 AM
BreakfastatMarios

vCash: 500
The PGH Boards are the best with the best moderators.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
I figured it was a playoff bandwagon thing. If that's the case, count me in.
If not, screw you guys I'm rooting for the Islanders.
Nah, we were having a sub-discussion about the bandwagoner label in general. All are welcome for the playoffs.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:51 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
I became a fan in 1990-1991 ... So you know it's been a long bandwagon, but a band wagon nonetheless. Just jumping on a hot team, what more can you expect of a 6 year old ...
basically the same for me. I bandwagoned the awesome team that was always on ESPN in 1990. I was 10. Never looked back. I think I've earned "fan" status by now, but not sure.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:00 AM
lilschmied

I kind of thought that paying for season tickets (and going to every game) while Dick Tarnstrom led the team in points got me past bandwagon...Maybe I just got on early cause I saw them tanking for Crosby though

lilschmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:03 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
I suppose I was a bandwagon fan back in '94. I jumped on but not bc of the Cup wins as I was a HUGE baseball fan and their strike turned me off. Sure enough hockeys was right there but I stayed through that. It helped that playing hockey is more fun than baseball.

I generally feel if anyone has stuck with the Pens through the early 2000's then you aren't a bandwagon and deserve to revel in the success we have now. I remember a game Sids rookie year when I student rushed tickets with two frineds of mine, one had never been to a game ever. It was a Crosby bobblehead night vs the Habs. We sat like 10 rows from the ice and won in a shootout where Mario missed but Crosby did that sick forehand/backhand he loves. Had to explain to my friend not all games are like that, ha ha.

ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
UpGoesRupp

I have a weird love for Pittsburgh teams in general. Their colours represented the colours I wore in minor league sports. Since I was about 8 I've always liked the steelers,pens and pirates. Unfortunately, I'm from Vancouver and if you're not cheering for Van you're cheering for the Habs or Leafs lol.

My only wish is that the Pens assimilate back to the black and yellow/gold instead of their watered down colours today haha

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
I became a fan in 1990-1991 ... So you know it's been a long bandwagon, but a band wagon nonetheless. Just jumping on a hot team, what more can you expect of a 6 year old ...
Hi me, is that me? I am a Futurama fan and your history is identical to mine! Right on!

Great thing about us bandwagon bunch, we were kids being introduced to a sport for the first time and needed to pick a team. Mario Lemieux..... how hard is that? Then I fell in love with Ron Francis.

Stuck with the team through all those crummy years (even was made fun of supporting the flightless bird team), and now we're back at fun times again! Those who are patient, get rewarded!

So one has to ask, are you a bandwagon fan if you still support the team through the good times and the difficult ones? Also, as a kid it's a wee bit different than teenagers and adults switching teams, because it's the popular thing to do, then fall off once things look bad again. No, I believe we were never bandwagon fans. We were smart.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
tfong

I have a Mario jersey from mid 90s, does that count me as a bandwagon fan?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 126
I really do not consider myself a bandwagon fan. Born in Pittsburgh in 1951, moved to Nashville in 1977. Fan of the Hornets before Pens came to town. My first playoff game that I dramatically remember was Toronto/Pens series in 75/76. Sitting in the upper deck behind the goal, less than a minute into the game, Toronto goalie goes behind the net and Pens run him. In the old days, when you ran the goalie, you flattened him. Bench clearing brawl ensues, we lose the game and ultimately the series.

In 90-91, and 91-92, my wife (who's from Nashville) cheered the Pens to victory. Remember no internet, no direct TV, you had to go to a sports bar and ask them to turn on Penguins hockey (remember I am in Nashville, what's hockey). There were always 15-20 of us so no problem.

Preds come to town we're season ticket holders from day 1. (Wife wants to know why we don't have season tickets in Pittsburgh, when would we go?)

In 2009 I decided that I wanted to see the Stanley cup finals. Get tickets to Game one third row at regular price at the Joe. Flew up day of the game. If you haven't been to the Joe you need to go before it closes. Gordie Howe, Terrible Ted Lindsey were all there and approachable for autographs, etc. I was happy I saw a Stanley Cup finals in person.

My favorite Uncle who took me to the Toronto game dies. Obviously I will fly home for funeral. Everyone in my family says while you are up here go to the game, he would have wanted it. If you remember this series was sold out immediately. I go home look at ticket master and there is one ticket available in the lower bowl, I get it and go to the game. I remember walking up the hill to the Igloo, it was great. Everyone is out on the lawn and it was packed. I hold up my ticket and they stared yelling, make a path he has a ticket. So I walk up the hill and they are cheering me on.

So then there was game seven. Actually had to go to Stub Hub for the ticket. Wasn't cheap. But it was game seven who cares. Confiscated my camera. Too long a lens. Sitting with all the Wings fans they believed to the very end that they would win. Got my camera left with 5 minutes to go in the game. (The Wings personnel told me just to come to them and tell them that I was leaving and they would give me my camera. Who leaves game 7. They were being very nice). So I saw the cup skated by the Pens at Joe Louis.

I also have an authenticated autographed Mario jersey.

Last edited by Predatorbill: 05-03-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Forgot jersey
Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
I really do not consider myself a bandwagon fan. Born in Pittsburgh in 1951, moved to Nashville in 1977. Fan of the Hornets before Pens came to town. My first playoff game that I dramatically remember was Toronto/Pens series in 75/76. Sitting in the upper deck behind the goal, less than a minute into the game, Toronto goalie goes behind the net and Pens run him. In the old days, when you ran the goalie, you flattened him. Bench clearing brawl ensues, we lose the game and ultimately the series.

In 90-91, and 91-92, my wife (who's from Nashville) cheered the Pens to victory. Remember no internet, no direct TV, you had to go to a sports bar and ask them to turn on Penguins hockey (remember I am in Nashville, what's hockey). There were always 15-20 of us so no problem.

Preds come to town we're season ticket holders from day 1. (Wife wants to know why we don't have season tickets in Pittsburgh, when would we go?)

In 2009 I decided that I wanted to see the Stanley cup finals. Get tickets to Game one third row at regular price at the Joe. Flew up day of the game. If you haven't been to the Joe you need to go before it closes. Gordie Howe, Terrible Ted Lindsey were all there and approachable for autographs, etc. I was happy I saw a Stanley Cup finals in person.

My favorite Uncle who took me to the Toronto game dies. Obviously I will fly home for funeral. Everyone in my family says while you are up here go to the game, he would have wanted it. If you remember this series was sold out immediately. I go home look at ticket master and there is one ticket available in the lower bowl, I get it and go to the game. I remember walking up the hill to the Igloo, it was great. Everyone is out on the lawn and it was packed. I hold up my ticket and they stared yelling, make a path he has a ticket. So I walk up the hill and they are cheering me on.

So then there was game seven. Actually had to go to Stub Hub for the ticket. Wasn't cheap. But it was game seven who cares. Confiscated my camera. Too long a lens. Sitting with all the Wings fans they believed to the very end that they would win. Got my camera left with 5 minutes to go in the game. (The Wings personnel told me just to come to them and tell them that I was leaving and they would give me my camera. Who leaves game 7. They were being very nice). So I saw the cup skated by the Pens at Joe Louis.

Great stuff, Bill

One of these days I'll get to a playoff game...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I have a Mario jersey from mid 90s, does that count me as a bandwagon fan?
Depends on who you ask. In reality? Not even close. In HF terms? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post

You are awesome, Bill! (And you're the same age as my dad and have been a fan just about as long!)

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:17 AM
specialized

I have no problem if people suport a team once they make the playoffs if there from that city,I might even root for the bucs if they were to make the playoffs (unless they play my cardinals). Anyway you here that stat that the pens are the number one watched team on tv localy among all major sports in any city.that to me is amazing.

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote