HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Old
05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Great to see him finally coming to Seattle - I'm excited for 2013-14.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
arsmaster

Good news for the league not just the T-Birds.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
SeattleShark

vCash: 820
couldn't be happier tbirds fans deserve something to get excited about. we havent even had a ppg player (in the freakin WHL ) since prab rai 09-10

SeattleShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

If Fabbro is available at #8 in tmrws WHL Draft, mark my words, Seattle will draft him. I feel theres a good chance he will be available due to his preference to play in the NCAA so teams will be afraid to select him before Seattle does. But now that Barzal has signed, Fabbro will play in Seattle if drafted by them. They grew up together, played minor hockey together and have been best friends forever. There have been rumors of Barzal making a deal with Seattle that they have to draft Fabbro if he signs(probably not true, but that rumor is being talked about)... Cant wait to see what happens tommorrow!!. If Seattle can luck out and get Fabbro, T-Bird fans will have totally hit the jackpot with both Barzal and Fabbro soon in the T-Bird lineup!!

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Where did Gropp play this year ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
BCHL Penticton Vees

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Penticton Vees BCHL Junior A. He has been "undecided" on his future and decided to play a year of Junior A for his 16 year old season. He has a late birthday so is eligable for same NHL draft as Barzal(2015). He was named Rookie of the year in the BCHL this past season. Extremely good prospect. He will be making up his mind this offseason where he will be playing next season. Having Barzal sign in seattle is a HUGE boost for Gropp to follow now. It's going to turn into a domino effect in Seattle now in my opinion

Old
05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Good news for the league not just the T-Birds.
fully agree here great news for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
If Fabbro is available at #8 in tmrws WHL Draft, mark my words, Seattle will draft him. I feel theres a good chance he will be available due to his preference to play in the NCAA so teams will be afraid to select him before Seattle does. But now that Barzal has signed, Fabbro will play in Seattle if drafted by them. They grew up together, played minor hockey together and have been best friends forever. There have been rumors of Barzal making a deal with Seattle that they have to draft Fabbro if he signs(probably not true, but that rumor is being talked about)... Cant wait to see what happens tommorrow!!. If Seattle can luck out and get Fabbro, T-Bird fans will have totally hit the jackpot with both Barzal and Fabbro soon in the T-Bird lineup!!
Fabbro is a distcint possiblity and Gropp is a wildcard but if they join Barzal and the core of the TBirds right now watch out WHL.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sounds like the T-Birds are turning things around.

Barzal will give them a ton of credibility.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:50 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds like the T-Birds are turning things around.

Barzal will give them a ton of credibility.
I'm really looking forward to seeing him next year. To-date, the 97 who's gotten the most press is McDavid (and he's obviously an amazing talent)...but I think that press has obscured the fact he's not the only guy around...and Barzal has proven his own worth.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing him next year. To-date, the 97 who's gotten the most press is McDavid (and he's obviously an amazing talent)...but I think that press has obscured the fact he's not the only guy around...and Barzal has proven his own worth.
Will be very interesting, he's going to light up WHL goalies for years.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Ya Barzal is kinda like the WHL version of McDavid. Alot of people over in Eastern Canada havent heard of him or anything but there is so much damn hype with Barzal for years it's unbelievable

Old
05-02-2013, 12:35 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

I know it is way too early, but how do Barzal and McDavid compare to each other? Skating, playmaking, shooting etc..? Is Barzal that far off McDavid?

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Joe Hallenback

Barzal is the big power winger, Mcdavid is the slick playmaker.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
You don't think Barzal will play down the middle?

McDavid is a better skater, Barzal has a bigger body.

Both very good, but it's hard to put anyone on McDavid's level.

At the All-State they were quite clearly the two best players.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If Fabbro is available at #8 in tmrws WHL Draft, mark my words, Seattle will draft him.
Good prediction!

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup, I forgot who used the Brayden Schenn comparison, but that is what I see in him (probably a way better version of him as well).

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:

He could play down the middle I just think he fits the mold of a power winger better. Kind of like Hall. Played Center in Junior and wing in the NHL. Barzal is like Hall with his skating ability and power but he is bigger already.

It is hard to compare though because McDavid was so good at the u18s already.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yup, I forgot who used the Brayden Schenn comparison, but that is what I see in him (probably a way better version of him as well).
I believe Loubardias compared Tyler Benson to Schenn...that might be the confusion.
Quote:
He could play down the middle I just think he fits the mold of a power winger better. Kind of like Hall. Played Center in Junior and wing in the NHL. Barzal is like Hall with his skating ability and power but he is bigger already.

It is hard to compare though because McDavid was so good at the u18s already.
I think if he's a Center he's a harder matchup for teams, and he's a distributor too.

Teams want beef down the middle. Either way, he should be a very good WHLer. Glad to have him in the league.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I agree with you - and if McDavid is #1 in 2015 and is a dominant NHL player that wouldn't surprise me at all.

...with that said - he's "exceptional" not just b/c of his skill level but b/c he had developed earlier than other kids his age - all of which is to say give the kids who will be going through jr the next two year their own chance to impress - it might be none compare to McDavid - but it's shortsighted to assume that just b/c no one else was as good as a 15 yr old everyone else will remain lesser than him.

i'm really excited to see barzal this year! the #s he put up this year were way higher than RNH at the same level, no?

also...i know that #s never tell the full story - does anyone who follows lower mainland hockey have any comments/observations re Barzal and RNH at the same age (outside just looking at the stats).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
HabLover

Quote:
I agree with you - and if McDavid is #1 in 2015 and is a dominant NHL player that wouldn't surprise me at all.

...with that said - he's "exceptional" not just b/c of his skill level but b/c he had developed earlier than other kids his age - all of which is to say give the kids who will be going through jr the next two year their own chance to impress - it might be none compare to McDavid - but it's shortsighted to assume that just b/c no one else was as good as a 15 yr old everyone else will remain lesser than him.

i'm really excited to see barzal this year! the #s he put up this year were way higher than RNH at the same level, no?

also...i know that #s never tell the full story - does anyone who follows lower mainland hockey have any comments/observations re Barzal and RNH at the same age (outside just looking at the stats).
Barzal this season in the BCMMHL set the record for points by a 15 yr old despite only playing in I think 32 games(out of 40). Even missing that many games he was close to the record for points in a season(set by a 16 yr old) only missing it by 5pts, playing in far fewer games. He would have shattered the record. He set the record for assists, thus showing he is probably better suited for the middle position and is a better passer or set-up man than a goal scorer.

A few guys that played in the BCMMHL and didn't even come close to Barzal's point totals, are RNH, Evander Kane, Brett Connolly, Brendan Gallagher, Ryan Johansen, Sam Reinhart, Nic Petan, etc.

I would say next season in the dub for Barzal 80 to 90 pts is a pretty realistic prediction.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Barzal this season in the BCMMHL set the record for points by a 15 yr old despite only playing in I think 32 games(out of 40). Even missing that many games he was close to the record for points in a season(set by a 16 yr old) only missing it by 5pts, playing in far fewer games. He would have shattered the record. He set the record for assists, thus showing he is probably better suited for the middle position and is a better passer or set-up man than a goal scorer.

A few guys that played in the BCMMHL and didn't even come close to Barzal's point totals, are RNH, Evander Kane, Brett Connolly, Brendan Gallagher, Ryan Johansen, Sam Reinhart, Nic Petan, etc.

I would say next season in the dub for Barzal 80 to 90 pts is a pretty realistic prediction.
I agree that he has the potential next season to hit the 80 point mark... the only thing that could put a damper on that is Seattle doesnt really have a real pure goal scorer(Lipsbergs 30g. Delnov 20g. were their highest) Just gotta hope Barzal clicks with maybe Honey, Lipsbergs or Delnov. It wouldnt surprise me if Seattle makes a big offseason deal for a good goal scorer. They have alot of '95 born Dmen and they could easily trade one or 2 of them away.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:47 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Has Gropp committed ? Who did they take in the draft ?

Old
05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Has Gropp committed ? Who did they take in the draft ?
Gropp hasn't yet... Apparently Barzal has been contacting him like crazy to get him in Seattle next year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gropp commits in the next couple months.

Seattle drafted Dman Dante Fabbro in the draft. Extremely talented Dman that grew up with Barzal and they have been best friends since they were little. Rumors were that Seattle was the only place Fabbro would report to when drafted. Shea Theodore will be just leaving the league once Fabbro is just coming in so its perfect timing for the T-Birds

Old
05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
HabLover

Quote:
I agree that he has the potential next season to hit the 80 point mark... the only thing that could put a damper on that is Seattle doesnt really have a real pure goal scorer(Lipsbergs 30g. Delnov 20g. were their highest) Just gotta hope Barzal clicks with maybe Honey, Lipsbergs or Delnov. It wouldnt surprise me if Seattle makes a big offseason deal for a good goal scorer. They have alot of '95 born Dmen and they could easily trade one or 2 of them away.
Troock if he gets his crap together could be a good linemate.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote