HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 09:02 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Went on record back in December saying I wanted Risto or Zad, and I would "be fine" with Pulock. After all this-- I'm still in the same place.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
How would you compare him to Pulock? I know Morrissey is a much better skater. I've read mixed / contradictory reports regarding their physicality and defensive play.
Pulock is a bit better offensively, but I'd say that Morrissey has closed the gap significantly and that next season, Morrissey might move ahead of Pulock in terms of offensive ability. The only thing I'd say right now that Pulock has on Morrissey is his shot, but Morrissey has a rocket of a shot as well.

As for defensive play, honestly, Morrissey is miles ahead and it's not even close. As previously mentioned, Pulock is recent convert to defense as he only started playing the position as a 15 year old. Morrissey knows the ins and outs of the position and he makes great decisions with the puck all the time. That's one thing that really struck me after watching all the video I saw on Morrissey - he just doesn't make a bad play and that's a rarity.

Finally, even though Morrissey isn't quite as big as Pulock is, he's a very physical D that loves to hit. He's a big open ice hitter and he can also throw a very good hip check.

Yes, after watching all the video I've seen, I'm more and more convinced that Morrissey is the guy they should draft. He just seems to be the complete package and the kind of dynamic presence on the blueline the Flyers need. They've got the physicality down with Grossmann, Schenn, Lauridsen and Coburn, but they need that great puck moving defenseman that can really force the play up ice and be a true power play quarterback. Morrissey fits that bill.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
daynus

yah this draft

is gonna be a very good one. looks very similar to the one a decade ago 2003. yup it is gonna boil down to our specific scouting. yah its all their. you want a shattenkirk, well then draft morrisey, you want a coburn type, then nab morin or zadarov, you want a corey perry type, then nab mantha. just out of curiosity whom are they comparing the colorado avalanches seth jones to, drew doughty,shea weber, or are the still comparing him to larry robinson. and if you dont think being a two way defenseman is sexy, just remember guys like bobby orr, larry robinson, also had a 96-97% defensive rating. not just their offense.

Old
05-04-2013, 04:13 AM
BillDineen

One thing I will say is that I trust the Flyers scouting's opinion of whether or not a player has more offensive potential than they have previously shown. This is true of Simmonds, Laughton, Giroux and Richards. So if they choose a Zadorov or even Morin and say they think they have an offensive side there yet to be realized, I believe them.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah Zadorov has the potential to be a Chara. Whether he reaches that or not is the question?

Morin sounds more like a Luke Schenn type of player to me.
Morin has way better wheels and can move the puck very smartly. Plus it sounds like he does not take a shift off like the kid from London or should I say he is more phyiscal. The Flyers know best. As long as it is not Fucale! We should do fine.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:17 AM
TheKingPin

Being someone who is relatively neutral having never seen more than a two minute clip of nurse I think where we will be I'd want zadorov just off of what I've been hearing in this thread. Sounds like ceiling vs ceiling his may even be greater than jones. I really wouldn't be surprised at all considering that's what draft order history has shown with highly touted dmen

Old
05-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Morin has way better wheels and can move the puck very smartly. Plus it sounds like he does not take a shift off like the kid from London or should I say he is more phyiscal. The Flyers know best. As long as it is not Fucale! We should do fine.
Have you actually seen Zadorov?

Old
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I've never heard anyone question Zadorov's compete level. He's just as physical as Morin and just as good of a skater than him if not better. Both of them are risky picks but I rather take Zadorov over Morin because of the higher ceiling.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Have you actually seen Zadorov?
No, just reports.Hey do not shoot me I like both players. It just seems as though Morin is a very very young kid(7/12/1995) who is just growing and from "reports" is a factor every game. I want whats best for Philly and should be happy who ever they select. But for me there is something about this kid who has my interest. The ceiling for him is off the charts. How many games have you seen them both play? I would really like a report on them both. Other than what I get on the internet. Thanks.
PS I am not trying to be a wise ass but would love to hear more about the two. Also Josh Morrissey.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Krishna

Quote:
No, just reports.Hey do not shoot me I like both players. It just seems as though Morin is a very very young kid(7/12/1995) who is just growing and from "reports" is a factor every game. I want whats best for Philly and should be happy who ever they select. But for me there is something about this kid who has my interest. The ceiling for him is off the charts. How many games have you seen them both play? I would really like a report on them both. Other than what I get on the internet. Thanks.
PS I am not trying to be a wise ass but would love to hear more about the two. Also Josh Morrissey.
Like legionofdoom said, there hasn't really been any reports questioning Zadorov's work ethic. He's done everything the Hunter brothers have asked of him and then some

Old
05-04-2013, 12:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Yea no one should complain about his work ethic. The only thing people are worried about is his offensive/puck moving abilities. People that have physically watched him seem to be split on it improving and not.

Will make the biggest difference in his career.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Also dont know if it was posted (some days 1-2 pages worth of posts can be made before I can read it) but here was Bill M's take on the defenders in the draft. Also explains his reasoning on each.

His rankings go:

Pulock
Risolainen
Nurse
Morrissey
Haag
Zadorov
Theodore
Morin
Santini

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...1#.UYVKFso2ieR

Old
05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Also dont know if it was posted (some days 1-2 pages worth of posts can be made before I can read it) but here was Bill M's take on the defenders in the draft. Also explains his reasoning on each.

His rankings go:

Pulock
Risolainen
Nurse
Morrissey
Haag
Zadorov
Theodore
Morin
Santini
We all have our preferences...nobody really knows how it willplay out...any one of those players could end up being the best of the lot.

Right now, Zads and Nurse are very very close to me...something like

Nurse /Zadorov
Pulock
Morrissey
Ristolainen
Hagg
Morin

Old
05-04-2013, 01:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
We all have our preferences...nobody really knows how it willplay out...any one of those players could end up being the best of the lot.

Right now, Zads and Nurse are very very close to me...something like

Nurse /Zadorov
Pulock
Morrissey
Ristolainen
Hagg
Morin
I honestly would be cool with any one of Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolanien, or Morrissey if we went defense.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Krishna

Flyers need to trade up to get another 1st

Zadorv + Pulock/Morrissey would be a good draft

Old
05-04-2013, 01:43 PM
whitstifier

Quote:

Who would you have the Flyers part with?

Old
05-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
Who would you have the Flyers part with?
I dont' think it would take that much to move up from the 2nd to the 1st if you include another 2nd or a 3rd + a mid prospect

Also, Read and Meszaros are probably expendable but I dont expect a first for either of them

Old
05-04-2013, 01:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Why you no like Risto

Old
05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
whitstifier

Quote:
I dont' think it would take that much to move up from the 2nd to the 1st if you include another 2nd or a 3rd + a mid prospect

Also, Read and Meszaros are probably expendable but I dont expect a first for either of them
Which draft position in the first round could two seconds acquire? Certainly nothing in the teens.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Why you no like Risto
I said it in the last thread, but the SM Liiga games I've seen of Ristolainen didn't really impress me much. He was just turning it over left and right with a ton of bad decisions

Old
05-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Which draft position in the first round could two seconds acquire? Certainly nothing in the teens.
Two seconds could definitely get into the mid to late teens. history has shown that it's really not a huge overpayment to get there despite what the trade board thinks

Old
05-04-2013, 02:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Read might be able to fetch you a late first+. I know Calagry is pretty high on him and they have multiple 1st rounders. I wouldn't trade him though unless you feel like he's going to ask for a lot of money on a new deal.

Mez at this point has negative value. I think we're stuck with him until his deal ends up next summer.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
05-04-2013, 02:24 PM
whitstifier

Read serves a pretty important role and adds good depth. I don't see how he's expendable now. His new contract won't ruin his value to the Flyers.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Read serves a pretty important role and adds good depth. I don't see how he's expendable now. His new contract won't ruin his value to the Flyers.
If they feel like they won't be able to get a deal done by a certain point, he might be moved. The longer it goes the likely hood of Read pricing himself out and testing free agency becomes greater.

I like Read and hope we can get him back on a fair deal but I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Krishna

Quote:
He's going to probably get 3m+

That's too much

Closed Thread