Notices

AIH: Zone Entry Data

Old
05-04-2013, 02:54 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
AIH: Zone Entry Data

I posted all my zone entry data from the Jets over at AIH.

Unfortunately the sample size is quite small with only 12 games being covered, and I'm missing a period for two games (one for wife's BDay and one from my stream glitching).

Share your thoughts either here or there.

I'm looking for suggestions on ways to improve the data/analysis and will hopefully be ready for a full season of data next year (plus hopefully playoff data!).

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:22 AM
almostawake

vCash: 500
As someone who has done stuff like this in non-hockey related projects, hats off to you. This kind of data collection is painstaking work.

Have you ever considered using a service like Amazon Mechanical Turk?

I don't know what, if any, funds you have at your disposal but I do know people who have successfully used mturk for these kinds of problems in the past.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:48 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Very interesting stuff. I was really surprised by Burmistrov's numbers, although he certainly simplified his game towards the end of the year (even for carry-ins).

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:01 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Great stuff Garret.

Wheeler and Kane are beasts.

They are great ob the rush together, but the team needs them apart.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:03 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
As someone who has done stuff like this in non-hockey related projects, hats off to you. This kind of data collection is painstaking work.

Have you ever considered using a service like Amazon Mechanical Turk?

I don't know what, if any, funds you have at your disposal but I do know people who have successfully used mturk for these kinds of problems in the past.
Nah... so far it's all been just me, excel and jump.
I watch the games twice, but watching it on a stream where I can "rewind" and pause helps too haah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Very interesting stuff. I was really surprised by Burmistrov's numbers, although he certainly simplified his game towards the end of the year (even for carry-ins).
It was post-doghouse so it be interesting seeing what the numbers were before... but not interesting enough for me to go and do the work haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Great stuff Garret.

Wheeler and Kane are beasts.

They are great ob the rush together, but the team needs them apart.
Kane and Wheeler were beasts.

There definitely was a noticeable dropoff randomly for Kane and that was probably around the time he got injured.

I also noticed that players who are considered to have "good games" here when they haven't scored are usually (not always) are the ones that have had a few successful zone entries.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Steenager

vCash: 500
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for putting in that effort.

On a slightly off topic note, can somebody provide an introductory resource to help a simple hockey fan like me gain a basic understanding of hockey's advanced stats?

Steenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for putting in that effort.

On a slightly off topic note, can somebody provide an introductory resource to help a simple hockey fan like me gain a basic understanding of hockey's advanced stats?
Sure!

I should update this post but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
WINNIPEG JETS LINEUP
(...)
Usage Stats:
QoC: quality of competition - how tough of matchup they are lined up against can be measured by opponents Corsi, RelCorsi or TOI (the later two end up giving similar results, first one varies a bit) - I usually use the second one as the third one is tough to get a hold of
OZS
: offensive zone starts - percentage of shifts started in the o-zone rather d-zone

Results Stats:
Fenwick - differential like +/- but includes shots on goal and missed shots; usually per 60 TOI unless stated - good for team results as has a correlation to scoring chances, puck possession time and winning games - often used instead of Corsi for teams as blocked shots is sometimes a team strategy
Corsi - same as Fenwick but includes blocked shots - better than Fenwick for individuals as you have more events (ie: larger sample size)
RelCorsi - players Corsi relative to teams average for games played - ex: if you have a Corsi of +3 in a game where your team had a Corsi of +1, your RelCorsi would be +2
P (or A1 or G)/60 - its a players points (or primary assists or goals) per 60 minutes of icetime, as a players icetime can make their totals seem insignificant or better than they are (ex: Kane scored more goals per minute than Kessel last season in both ES and PP, but Kessel had more TOI and his totals were much more)

Statistical References and Websites:

Arctic Ice Hockey - Winnipeg Jets blog that commonly dips into advance statistics
Behind The Net - site that draws NHL.com stats and places it into adv. stats
Nice Time on Ice - another raw data site (but different) like Behind the Net
Hockey Analysis - third raw data site I (and others) commonly use
NHL Numbers - a NHL blog that also leans on advance statistics
Jets Nation - the Jets section of NHL Numbers (emphasis on Robert Cleave's work)

Arctic Ice Hockey was originally an advance statistics blog started up by Winnipegger Gabe (same guy who runs Behind the Net), and so has a lot of information on the advance statistics themselves in our archives. Our editors recently organized all the pre-Jets 2.0 advance stats write ups.
We recently organized all the old writeups on advance statistics and what they mean ->HERE<-

Last edited by garret9: 05-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Garret I don't know if you ap saw CBC last night but in the Blues Kings game between periods Friedman did a cool breakdown from Timeonice.com about how Boston matched up Chara V Kessel and it was a cool bit. One of the few times Toronto got Kessel away from Chara all night was when he got his break away goal.

It was nice props to that website and Friedman is definatly a talented reporter.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Garret I don't know if you ap saw CBC last night but in the Blues Kings game between periods Friedman did a cool breakdown from Timeonice.com about how Boston matched up Chara V Kessel and it was a cool bit. One of the few times Toronto got Kessel away from Chara all night was when he got his break away goal.

It was nice props to that website and Friedman is definatly a talented reporter.
Friedman ALMOST makes up for Healy and Stock.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:30 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Friedman ALMOST makes up for Healy and Stock.
Close but it's hard to climb a hill that high

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:29 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

He has also shouted out another site that Garret and I use a lot.

Twas pretty cool.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote