Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
With Nuge and Gagner I thought for sure you guys would go for a defenseman.
It would be mind boggling and sheer stupidity if they didn't. The only way it makes sense for them to draft one of those players is if they traded RNH or Gagner for a very good young dman.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:16 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Quote:
I dont think Edmonton fans see Gagne as a long term solution to top 6 centre.
Not sure its because he lacks the skill of a first overall pick or if he's the easiest to cut away with the size issue in their top 6.

Gagne 5'11 199 lbs

Eberle 5'11 184 lbs
RNH 6'1 185 lbs
Hemsky 6'0 184 lbs
Yakupov 5'11 184 lbs

Old
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
It would be mind boggling and sheer stupidity if they didn't. The only way it makes sense for them to draft one of those players is if they traded RNH or Gagner for a very good young dman.
Edmonton's need for a center far surpasses their need for a defenseman.

Sure they have RNH and Gagner, but both are pretty soft, mediocre defensively at best and crappy on faceoffs. It's okay to have one center like that in your top 6, but having 2 is absolutely crippling. Their need for a 2way center is dire. Then when it comes to prospects they have pretty much zero in the pipeline after RNH.

At least on defense they have Schultz as a 1st year player and Klefbom, Marincin and Musil in their pipeline. And then Smid is only 26 and IMO is very underrated.

I would even say a large portion of their current defensive problems can be attributed to their forwards, they just don't have any good 2way forwards at all.

Sean Monahan would be a dream pick for the Oilers. He is EXACTLY what they need and they would have to be completely stupid to pass on him.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Unkki

vCash: 500
My top14 for the upcoming draft is this:

1. Seth Jones, COL
2. Nathan MacKinnon, FLO
3. Jonathan Drouin, TBL
4. Alexander Barkov, NSH
5. Valeri Nichuskin, CAR
6. Elias Lindholm, CGY
7. Darnell Nurse, EDM
8. Sean Monahan, BUF
9. Nikita Zadorov, NJD
10. Hunter Shinkaruk, DAL
11. Rasmus Ristolainen, PHI
12. Anthony Mantha, PHO
13. Valentin Zykov, WPG
14. Ryan Pulock, CBJ

Old
05-04-2013, 12:10 PM
ALI

Trades
Trade Matt Stajan and derek smith for B.Richards
trade Lee Stempniak for 2nd

Re-Sign
Mikael Backlund
Lance Bouma
Chris Breen for
TJ Brodie
Paul Byron for
Mark Cundari
Brian McGrattan
Greg Nemisz
Carter Bancks
Brett Carson

Free Agency
Boyd Gordon
Nathan Horton
Ben Maxwell
Ryan O'Byrne
Karri Ramo
Ference
A. Johnson

1st: Lindholm or Monahan
1st: Shinkaruk or LAzar
1st: Morrisey
2nd: Bjorkstrand or Duclair
3rd: De la Rose
4th: Heatherington
5th: Reno or Cassels
6th: Savage
7th: McAdam
7th: Montgomery

Baertschi Richards Cammalleri
Tanguay Backlund Horton
Glencross Horak Hudler
Gordon Reinhart Bouma
Macgrattan Bancks Jackman

Brodie Giordano
Ference Wideman
Obyrne Cundari

Ramo
Macdonald

Abbotsford

Byron Walter(AHL) Ferland
Nemisz Street Maxwell
Kolanos(AHL) Granlund Elson
Hanowski Eddy testwuid

Johnson Carson
Wootherspoon Breen
Ramage Callahan(AhL)

Last edited by ALI: 05-04-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old
05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Trades

Re-Sign
Mikael Backlund
Lance Bouma
Chris Breen for
TJ Brodie
Paul Byron for
Mark Cundari
Brian McGrattan
Greg Nemisz
Carter Bancks
Brett Carson

Free Agency
Boyd Gordon
Nathan Horton
Ben Maxwell
Ryan O'Byrne
Karri Ramo
Ference
A. Johnson

Baertschi Richards Cammalleri
Tanguay Backlund Horton
Glencross Horak Hudler
Gordon Reinhart Bouma
Macgrattan Bancks Jackman

Brodie Giordano
Ference Wideman
Obyrne Cundari

Ramo
Macdonald

Abbotsford

Byron Walter(AHL) Ferland
Nemisz Street Maxwell
Kolanos(AHL) Granlund Elson
Hanowski Eddy testwuid

Johnson Carson
Wootherspoon Breen
Ramage Callahan(AhL)
Not sure if serious.. Pretty sure you're missing one of these
If not that is an absolutely terrible trade for New York and it they made that Sather would be fired and beaten in the streets of New York

Old
05-04-2013, 12:52 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Trades

1. You won't get B.Richards for that package. I know he has a massive contract, but he still holds more value than proposed.

2. You wont get Shinkaruk with our 2nd 1st

3. De La Rose won't be available in the 3rd round.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

There's been no shortage of buyout rumors for Richards, not necessarily for this season, but strongly speculated for 2014. In a declining cap situation, he's not worth as much as people might think. He'll have a 6.66M cap hit for another 7 years after this, while putting up some pretty mediocre offensive numbers.

That's not to say that proposed offers of Stajan+ would get a deal done. It is after all Glen Sather, who managed to pry McDonagh and Higgens for an underachieving Gomez. However, Gomez was never considered to be a buyout candidate while with the Rangers.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
herashak

why do we want richards anyways, no "post apex players", especially ones with ridiculous contracts.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post

Sure they have RNH and Gagner, but both are pretty soft, mediocre defensively at best and crappy on faceoffs. It's okay to have one center like that in your top 6, but having 2 is absolutely crippling. Their need for a 2way center is dire. Then when it comes to prospects they have pretty much zero in the pipeline after RNH.

At least on defense they have Schultz as a 1st year player and Klefbom, Marincin and Musil in their pipeline. And then Smid is only 26 and IMO is very underrated.

I would even say a large portion of their current defensive problems can be attributed to their forwards, they just don't have any good 2way forwards at all.

Sean Monahan would be a dream pick for the Oilers. He is EXACTLY what they need and they would have to be completely stupid to pass on him.
I know what you are saying, and Monahan would be a good pick for them, but I still think their largest issue is on D. Schultz and perhaps Smid to an extent are their only defenders that are worthy to be considered top pairing guys.

Klefbom may very well be a top pairing guy and has all kinds of talent, Musil should add some much needed stability on their backend, Marincin looks like a promising talent as well, but I still think the Oilers would benefit more from getting a top 3 defender in this draft being that their D was so pathetic this year.

IMO, the biggest problem with the Oilers forwards is in their bottom 6. If they drafted Monahan, he would likely end up as their 3rd line C unless they move Gagner which as I mentioned would make some sense. You want your top 2 lines to be scoring lines, and the Oilers have no one in their bottom 6 that can keep guys honest. They really need to add some character and guys that know their roles. Hamilton if ready would be good, but he has zero NHL experience.

Again, I think they would benefit more from getting another blue chip dman that can step in and play in 1-2 seasons. Monahan would be a great choice and I would hate it more than anything if the Oilers got him because I love Monahan so much. I just hope if they do get him that he gets the opportunity to be the player he can be.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:40 PM
SaintMorose

Quote:
Trades

I like the choices but too far back to likely nab them

Heaterington would be a solid 3rd round pick
Del Rose early 2nd round
And I'm hoping Morrisey is on the board for our 2nd pick in the first round cant see Hunter outside of the top 20 in any way.

Not sure NY has any interest in Matty.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:

If Edmonton gets Monahan, I think I might cry.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
why do we want richards anyways, no "post apex players", especially ones with ridiculous contracts.
Precisely. He's been absolutely terrible for the Rangers this season. Flames should stay away.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts:

Quote:
10. We may see some tinkering with draft lottery odds. On HNIC Radio, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said one potential idea is determining each team's chances by percentage of points in the overall "pool," instead of standings. The fourteen teams that missed the playoffs combined for 635 points. Florida -- which was 30th -- had 36 of them. Will have to follow-up on exactly how that would work, but it's an intriguing idea.
That would certainly be an interesting way to determine who gets the first overall pick. It would create an incentive for teams to try and get as many points as possible but would punish teams that are legitimately bad, like the Panthers this season.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:01 AM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
If Edmonton gets Monahan, I think I might cry.
Well it's nice to know some semblance of power is in our hands, since we pick before them. That said, the Oilers are going to get a good player regardless, the only thing we can worry about is our own fortune.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:46 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
I dont think Edmonton fans see Gagne as a long term solution to top 6 centre.
Not sure its because he lacks the skill of a first overall pick or if he's the easiest to cut away with the size issue in their top 6.

Gagne 5'11 199 lbs

Eberle 5'11 184 lbs
RNH 6'1 185 lbs
Hemsky 6'0 184 lbs
Yakupov 5'11 184 lbs
Quote:

Even though Gagner is listed at 5"10" 199lbs he is not. My friend stood next to him and he was shorter than my friend and he is just under 5"11".

The reason why we want to draft a centreman with size is because we are lacking size in the top 6. RNH is still only 19 and he was really good this year playing both sides of the ice. He drastically improved defensively this year.

Oilers management see really high on Lindholm or Monahan, if one of them are available EDM will pick them.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Qubax

I don't know why people are wondering or worrying that the Oilers might get Monahan.

I'm worried the FLAMES won't get a look at Mony. I think there is a good chance Monahan goes 5th. IF he somehow falls to Calgary at 6 then we're taking him.

Almost zero chance imo that BOTH Carolina and Calgary pass on SM.

So don't concern yourselves with the Oilers getting Mony

Old
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Pretty exciting to think we should be leaving with one of Jones,MacKinnon,Drouin,Barkov,Lindholm,Monahan who will be either our best or 2nd best prospect since Dion was drafted.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:37 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Even though Gagner is listed at 5"10" 199lbs he is not. My friend stood next to him and he was shorter than my friend and he is just under 5"11".

The reason why we want to draft a centreman with size is because we are lacking size in the top 6. RNH is still only 19 and he was really good this year playing both sides of the ice. He drastically improved defensively this year.

Oilers management see really high on Lindholm or Monahan, if one of them are available EDM will pick them.
I think more like 5'9" and 185 but he is not really soft. The Oil have way too much dangle in the top 6 and you have to have some grit on a line, not to mention they are starting to stack too much salary. Hall at center with Yak and David Clarkson. Eberle and RNH with Clowe. Draft Zadorov or Nurse with their first pick, and trade MPS and Gagner for another D and a physical younger winger.

Looking at Monahan from last season to this there doesn't seem to be a lot of improvement for a 94. If they want a forward I think Lindholm might be the safer choice. I don't know that they can solve their need for size at center in this particular draft. Maybe take Tony Mantha, and still move Hall to center. Or trade down their pick for two from Columbus and take Rychel and Hartman. Interesting times ahead in Edmonton. From a Flames perspective there are a lot worse possible outcomes than the Oilers taking Monahan.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
I don't know why people are wondering or worrying that the Oilers might get Monahan.
Yeah or Iggy gets the cup...it's pathetic...focus on the Flames instead.

Btw, I dont get this love for Monahan's leadership quality...his team is dead last...it's not his fault but he led his team to last by a long shot.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
herashak

i could see monahan going to the canes. they want there player in the nhl next year. monahan is used to the ice size, big, and good on draws. they could try and use him on the 3rd line next season.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:28 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
i could see monahan going to the canes. they want there player in the nhl next year. monahan is used to the ice size, big, and good on draws. they could try and use him on the 3rd line next season.
I think they most likely take Nurse, with Tlusty, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin they have lots of offense but they need a physical defenseman.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
I do as well. The other likely option for them is Nurse.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I think they most likely take Nurse, with Tlusty, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin they have lots of offense but they need a physical defenseman.
Yeah, the 'Canes are fairly stacked at centre. If they feel like they can get a player to suit their needs lower down, they could certainly be an option to trade down. Seeing as they're one spot above Calgary, that could be worrying, as it could result in a team leapfrogging the Flames to nab a centre at that spot, limiting our options.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Yeah, the 'Canes are fairly stacked at centre. If they feel like they can get a player to suit their needs lower down, they could certainly be an option to trade down. Seeing as they're one spot above Calgary, that could be worrying, as it could result in a team leapfrogging the Flames to nab a centre at that spot, limiting our options.
Like I said earlier one of Jones,MacKinnon,Drouin,Barkov,Lindholm,Monahan will be available who will be either our best or 2nd best prospect since Dion was drafted.

Closed Thread