HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Beegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Except the concept is the same behind both trades. Both were over payments that filled a minor hole and to give a boost to the team that was sagging. Hence the boosted Chuck Kobasew trade. Pom is a much more dynamic player than Kobasew but the concept behind both the trades are pretty much the same point.
A minor hole?? Since when was scoring on this team a minor hole?? Not sure if you've been watching but he's practically saved our season..this team would already be out of the playoffs if not for Pominville giving us scoring depth beyond our first line.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Except the concept is the same behind both trades. Both were over payments that filled a minor hole and to give a boost to the team that was sagging. Hence the boosted Chuck Kobasew trade. Pom is a much more dynamic player than Kobasew but the concept behind both the trades are pretty much the same point.

The Kobasew trade was earlier in the season to spark a struggling team..the Pominville move was to bolster us going forward into the playoffs and to give us the weapons up front to compete with every other team in the West that was loading up for a run.

Also it gives us a heck of a core for next season and potentially after that if we resign him..

I cannot fathom the fact that anyone can even be remotely mad at this trade..for cripes sake. Just bothers me. We've had maybe 5 other players as good as Pominville on the Wild in the HISTORY of this franchise. 2 of them that play for us right now...

Sorry Fletcher went out and acquired a top tier player. And gave up a couple picks and our FIFTH best prospect and arguably THIRD best goalie prospect to get him..

I guess we should have tried to stay mediocre forever and not trade anyone to try and win..that way you can have your way Koala

Old
04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
I'm hoping Fletcher made this trade only because he believes he can re-sign Pomminville. It's very possible he couldn't find a worthy D-man/decent trade and got Pom instead as a long term asset because the option was there.
What sort of Dman do you feel they should have gone after? Buffalo had Regehr and Leopold available too. Both were on expiring contracts after this season.

The worth of what Calgary wanted in return is in their eyes. They may have viewed the prospect. i also dont know if JBow had NMC/trade veto power thus he didnt approve being traded to a division rival (at least for this season).

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
What sort of Dman do you feel they should have gone after? Buffalo had Regehr and Leopold available too. Both were on expiring contracts after this season.

The worth of what Calgary wanted in return is in their eyes. They may have viewed the prospect. i also dont know if JBow had NMC/trade veto power thus he didnt approve being traded to a division rival (at least for this season).
It's clear that everything Fletcher does has long term ties. Fletch may not have had Regehr or Leopold in the long term plans. I can't imagine the level of moaning that would have happened on these boards if the Wild would have traded Larsson for an obvious rental player.

Besides, it doesn't matter what I thought the Wild would do. They did what they did, and dwelling on what if's doesn't do anything positive or productive.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
A minor hole?? Since when was scoring on this team a minor hole??
Before the trade, we were scoring at a nice clip. Then Cullen got injured and the wheels came off.

Quote:
Not sure if you've been watching but he's practically saved our season..this team would already be out of the playoffs if not for Pominville giving us scoring depth beyond our first line.
Debatable. As well, Pom was suppose to be our 1st line right wing to take over for Coyle, who wasn't scoring. Who knows what would have happened if we didn't have Pommer. BTW, did we even clinch a playoff spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
The Kobasew trade was earlier in the season to spark a struggling team..the Pominville move was to bolster us going forward into the playoffs
Still a move to boost a team that was starting to sag and struggle. We had lost what? 2/3? 3/4 before we made the move?

Quote:
and to give us the weapons up front to compete with every other team in the West that was loading up for a run.
IIRC, there wasn't a ton of moves in the West but the East actually. Most of the West traded players to the East. I think only St. Louis bolstered their defense.

Quote:
Also it gives us a heck of a core for next season and potentially after that if we resign him..
Possibly.

Quote:
I cannot fathom the fact that anyone can even be remotely mad at this trade..for cripes sake. Just bothers me. We've had maybe 5 other players as good as Pominville on the Wild in the HISTORY of this franchise. 2 of them that play for us right now...
Again, it's not that we're mad that we got Pom, it's what we had to pay when this team is still struggling and may not even make the playoffs.

Quote:
Sorry Fletcher went out and acquired a top tier player. And gave up a couple picks and our FIFTH best prospect and arguably THIRD best goalie prospect to get him..
But our best center prospect (I'm still thinking Granlund will move to wing for a good stretch of his career) and our best goaltending prospect (Kuemper and Gustafsson are unproven). A couple of picks? Those picks are pretty damn high.

Quote:
I guess we should have tried to stay mediocre forever and not trade anyone to try and win..that way you can have your way Koala
Have you read this thread at all? I'm all for making moves but not knee-jerk reactions, especially in a shorten season. My way? Be patient with the rebuilding process. Before the season, Parise and Suter were seen as building blocks and we weren't a deep team. We're still not a deep team and we cut into that depth.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

After we get swept this trade is going to feel that much. No first round pick means we have nothing to look forward to this summer. This ****ing blows. Put a damn leash on Fletch or cut him loose when it comes to trading prospects the guy doesn't have a clue. Whatever **** it peace out.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:25 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
After we get swept this trade is going to feel that much. No first round pick means we have nothing to look forward to this summer. This ****ing blows. Put a damn leash on Fletch or cut him loose when it comes to trading prospects the guy doesn't have a clue. Whatever **** it peace out.
Disagree, this trade was not just about this year.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:22 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

That was a huge point to this trade - He was not just a rental for this year.

I'm tired of people endlessly *****ing about a trade that did not negatively affect this team at all. We traded prospects and awhat will still be a later first round pick for a proven player in his prime.

You want a BMW 500? Pony up.

People would just be endlessly *****ing if Fletch did nothing. He paid what he had to pay for a good player.

Let's also not completely ignore that this player, that many like to ***** about, was ont of our best scorers in April, and that without him, we very well might not even be in the playoffs.

Can we just move on now.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pominville got us into the playoffs where we're about to be swept. Without Pominville, we'd have Larsson + a goalie to trade + a mid-first pick. We'd be in a much better spot long-term.

Also, without Pominville, this team might have made the changes necessary to the coaching staff and potentially front office to build a more competitive team on the ice. If this is the front office that rolls into October, I can't see much that's different unless Granlund becomes the god he was supposed to be.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pominville got us into the playoffs where we're about to be swept. Without Pominville, we'd have Larsson + a goalie to trade + a mid-first pick. We'd be in a much better spot long-term.

Also, without Pominville, this team might have made the changes necessary to the coaching staff and potentially front office to build a more competitive team on the ice. If this is the front office that rolls into October, I can't see much that's different unless Granlund becomes the god he was supposed to be.
I don't quite go this doom and gloomy.

Getting swept, and plainly embarrassed like we are now, may still lead to a coaching change. If so, the new coach with have a top line winger to use that would've have been here without this trade.

I like our wingers a lot more with Pom than I liked our prospects with Larsson and Hackett -- the 1st rounder not withstanding.

Coyle, Parise, Pom, Seto, Zucker and whoever replaces Butch... That's a pretty damn solid group of top-9 wingers.

Larsson projected to be a Brodziak replacement more likely than not. Hackett became expendable in the short term with Kuemper and Gustafsson coming over next year and the first... It's a first...

I think this team needs a change in style and a real top-4 defensemen to take it to the next level. This year just wasn't right.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd like to see what Parise and Pominville could do with a different center. I appreciate that Koivu never wants to cheat defensively, but if he can't take calculated risks enough to step up the scoring, have him as more of a matchup guy with defensive wingers like Coyle and Clutterbuck and get a scorer to center the other scorers.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

I love Koivu, but I would not be adverse to Koivu taking over that 2c role.

Thing is though, who would even be an option? We can't really take on yet another large cap hit, and we have no one internally that can fill that role, except Granlund, and imo, he is not going to fit well in a damned grinder system.

Maybe with a training camp next year and a little time to gel Parise-Koivu-Poms could be as good as they should however.

Which now gets me thinking about this real nice dump and chase we do...

Old
05-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cullen for starters. Not a long-term solution, but something you can do right now.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley worked for a week or two, then went cold. Parise-Koivu-Coyle was great for a couple weeks, then went cold. Parise-Koivu-Pominville didn't work at all. Back to Parise-Koivu-Coyle which hasn't been productive.

They haven't tried splitting up Parise and Koivu yet. Not saying it will work, but saying it's worth a look.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Cullen for starters. Not a long-term solution, but something you can do right now.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley worked for a week or two, then went cold. Parise-Koivu-Coyle was great for a couple weeks, then went cold. Parise-Koivu-Pominville didn't work at all. Back to Parise-Koivu-Coyle which hasn't been productive.

They haven't tried splitting up Parise and Koivu yet. Not saying it will work, but saying it's worth a look.
The only problem though is if you put Koivu on the 2nd line, he's going to be the anchor. What makes our 2nd line successful is it's speed in every offensive position. You put Koivu with Seto and Zucker, and I don't think they'll be as successful.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
I'd like to see what Parise and Pominville could do with a different center. I appreciate that Koivu never wants to cheat defensively, but if he can't take calculated risks enough to step up the scoring, have him as more of a matchup guy with defensive wingers like Coyle and Clutterbuck and get a scorer to center the other scorers.
Yea realistically we aren't going anywhere with Koivu as our top guy. He just isn't good enough. Would love to have that first round pick. Where would it be anyway? 16 or something. Not too bad. A good center could have definitely fallen to us there. Whatever he realistically wouldn't be able to play with this group for a few years anyway. All I can say is that one of prospects better step way the **** up over the summer and come in ready to take that 1C or we are not going anywhere.

#FireYEO #FireFLETCH #HireRUFF #HireFLAHR BOOOM

Old
05-04-2013, 11:46 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

^ A 2-4 year project is more likely to have fallen to us, than the future 1c savior of the Wild.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
^ A 2-4 year project is more likely to have fallen to us, than the future 1c savior of the Wild.
What? Since when is a mid round 1st round a 2-4 year project. Maybe 2 years. We don't have to get a bust every first rounder you know.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
What? Since when is a mid round 1st round a 2-4 year project. Maybe 2 years. We don't have to get a bust every first rounder you know.

Alright...That was pretty funny.

We have had some nasty luck

But hey! It looks like Shep and his size 15's have found their way to the ice again!

Don't get me wrong, I wish we had the first. I'm hoping Fletch is working on some plan to still get us one for this year.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:58 PM
mmk786

San Jose traded Clowe away, almost to us when they have a better team. That alone should tell us something.

mmk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Wildfish

Don't you people get tired of repeating yourselves over and over and over and over and over and over? I know people have nanosecond memories these days, but how about we wait a year or three?

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:35 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

It's becoming more apparent that we approached the season ass-backwards with our goaltenders. That is the biggest issue with the trade. Larsson a close second. The 1st and 2nd, meh. But those two players...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Who exactly would take over as #1C? We don't have a prospect capable of that (and it's extremely unlikely we would've been able to get one from this year's daft without trading up) and can't afford to add a center of that caliber. Cullen is not a solution to this, he's old and until this year he hasn't been all that great.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Now that we are about 8 months out from this deal, I'm curious to know if anyone has changed their opinions for or against?

Many of us were not thrilled with idea of losing both Larsson and Hackett (along with the 1st). Since then, Larsson hasn't exactly shown much at the NHL level and only OK numbers at the AHL level. Hackett has posted decent, but not great, numbers at the AHL level. Kuemper has looked to be the most impressive between him and Hackett.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Now that we are about 8 months out from this deal, I'm curious to know if anyone has changed their opinions for or against?

Many of us were not thrilled with idea of losing both Larsson and Hackett (along with the 1st). Since then, Larsson hasn't exactly shown much at the NHL level and only OK numbers at the AHL level. Hackett has posted decent, but not great, numbers at the AHL level. Kuemper has looked to be the most impressive between him and Hackett.
I liked it then and I like it now..stand by my opinion.

Old
01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like Pominville a lot, though he could be more consistent. I still think we overpaid a bit and that Larsson and Hackett will pan out nicely.