HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 07:43 AM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Who's "the rest of us": I see 3 people disagreeing that Eberle is a lock for the team.
The rest of us being the reasonable public. You are in the vast minority if you consider Eberle to be a lock for this team. Guys like Crosby, Toews and Weber are locks. Eberle is one of many fighting for the last few spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Yeah, the player you're referring to is far superior despite being outscored by a player in only his second season.

Yeah, that's what I said. Good work.
So Eberle's one season with two more points, in one more game and with inferior defensive play, implies that he is a better player? Even though in the season that just ended St. Louis was the leading scorer in the NHL and Eberle was #41? Great critical thinking there bud. We should all just ignore the last several seasons and instead focus on the 2011-2012 NHL season apparently. It is worth noting that even then St. Louis was still the superior player, despite Eberle's massive two point scoring lead. That is a smart move.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:25 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

^^^

I know some will disagree but I thought St Louis was one of our better players in Turin - he was better on the big ice than most.
If he can keep "father time" at bay for one more year, given his chemistry with Stamkos, we would be nuts not to send him.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:37 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Tavares Crosby Giroux
E. Staal Stamkos St. Louis
Hall Toews Nash
Richards Bergeron Seguin
Sharp (Young Guy)

Keith Weber
Doughty Pietrangelo
M. Staal Subban
Letang Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Irrelevant
I have to ask...

Why not keep Richards with Toews and Nash and put Hall with Bergeron?

Given Seguin's weak(er than expected) season, couldn't we find someone else?

It is moot point. The forwards are the least of our worries. Overall, great team, Mr Slater.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
You do realize that the WJC has nothing to do with the CHL right?

The tournament is optional. Players want to go. He has been auditioning for the Olympics the entire time. Every single international tournament a player goes to will affect how Hockey Canada sees them.

It would not shock me if Eberle wanted a gold medal more than the Stanley cup. Considering his age he has been to 8 international tournaments.

St. Louis who is 37 has only been to 4 international tournaments ever.

So yes at 22 Eberle has more experience and success internationally than a player 15 years older than him.

And fun fact. The only year St. Louis was chosen to represent Canada at the Olympics we didn't even get a medal...

Yet the times before and after we win gold...

So please tell me again why St. Louis should go over Eberle again? Or are we just basing this on their point totals...

Oh God...

I'l just skip through all of the nonsense about the amount of international tournaments each has participated in, because it's just that; nonsense. And yes, I'm aware the WJC have nothing to do with the CHL... Dosen't change the fact that it's a tournament for teenagers, which some people tend to forget when discussing Eberle.

It's just laughable you would bring up the 2006 team as reason why St. Louis should be left off. That's insane.

Again, Eberle can easily make this team, but not at the expense of an elite winger like MSL. Maybe you haven't seen him play?

Old
05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
86Habs

Matt Duchene. Holy smokes, what a dynamic player. What's amazing to me is that you can tell just by looking at his face, that he's been lifting and working on his strength and conditioning.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:11 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Matt Duchene. Holy smokes, what a dynamic player. What's amazing to me is that you can tell just by looking at his face, that he's been lifting and working on his strength and conditioning.
In Junior, I always thought he was taller.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:14 PM
NWAvs

Any chance Duchene makes camp at all?

Old
05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Any chance Duchene makes camp at all?
Really good chance, IMO. I'd be surprised if he's not there to be honest. He's in the mix to make the 2014 team, too, I've got to think, but he has quite a bit of work to do. Today was a great start.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Count of DannyKristo

E.Staal-Crosby-Tavares
St. Louis-Stamkos-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Sharp
Getzlaf

- I don't particularly want Getzlaf on the team on the big ice but he's easiliy amongst our top 13 forwards so I threw him in as the spare ready to jump into the lineup. The picks I have that others may not are Couture and Sharp. Great two-way players for a 4th line.

Keith-Letang
Hamhuis-Weber
Pietrangelo-Doughty
Staal-Subban

- I have 8 here and have a hard time cutting one. I think it's pretty important to have three left-shot defencemen, unless some of these right handers are comfortable on the left side and I don't know about it. Hamhuis-Weber makes a lot of sense to me. I think Hamhuis would be a steadying presence on a blueline that may need it.

Luongo
Price
Ward

- We need someone to be red hot at the time to make the choice easy.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Drij

St. Louis was snubbed last time around and he said no to the WHC, I don't see him coming for 2014.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
E.Staal-Crosby-Tavares
St. Louis-Stamkos-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Sharp
Getzlaf

- I don't particularly want Getzlaf on the team on the big ice but he's easiliy amongst our top 13 forwards so I threw him in as the spare ready to jump into the lineup. The picks I have that others may not are Couture and Sharp. Great two-way players for a 4th line.

Keith-Letang
Hamhuis-Weber
Pietrangelo-Doughty
Staal-Subban

- I have 8 here and have a hard time cutting one. I think it's pretty important to have three left-shot defencemen, unless some of these right handers are comfortable on the left side and I don't know about it. Hamhuis-Weber makes a lot of sense to me. I think Hamhuis would be a steadying presence on a blueline that may need it.

Luongo
Price
Ward

- We need someone to be red hot at the time to make the choice easy.
Grioux would center that second line

Old
05-04-2013, 12:26 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

With St. Louis

Tavares - Crosby - Eberle
St. Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Staal - Toews - Nash
Hall - Bergeron - Seguin
Duchene/Benn

Without St. Louis

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Giroux - Eberle
Staal - Toews - Nash
Benn/Duchene/Ladd - Bergeron - Seguin
Benn/Duchene/Ladd

Old
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
E.Staal-Crosby-Tavares
St. Louis-Stamkos-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Sharp
Getzlaf

Nice.

Quote:
We need someone to be red hot at the time to make the choice easy.
Yes we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
St. Louis was snubbed last time around and he said no to the WHC, I don't see him coming for 2014.
I can't imagine him saying, "No". Just like Lemieux, he will want one last kick at the can and go to Sochi.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Be a Hab

Giroux Crosby Stamkos
E.Stall Getzlaf Perry
Richards Toews Nash
Benn Tavares Eberle or Benn Bergeron Sharp. One more offensive the other deffensive. I can't choose which i like best lol.

Weber Dougthy
Keith Seabrook
Letang pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Luongo
Ward

Last edited by Be a Hab: 05-04-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: misspeling
Old
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I have to ask...

Why not keep Richards with Toews and Nash and put Hall with Bergeron?
I have absolutely no problem with putting Richards back with Toews and Nash should things not work out. My thought is that on international ice Toews and Nash could use a linemate with tons of speed, and that's Hall. It helps that his offensive game would seemingly gel with theirs. That frees Richards to basically be a more experienced Marchand on the fourth line, while also providing some first or second unit PK time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Given Seguin's weak(er than expected) season, couldn't we find someone else?
We could find someone else, which can be said for every single player on Canada. I was really impressed by Seguin's performance in Europe during the lockout, and I really like his skating and proven chemistry with Bergeron. By no means is he a lock though.

Quote:
He has been working out with Crosby during the offseason. Could certainly be a decent X factor for the Olympics.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
He has been working out with Crosby during the offseason. Could certainly be a decent X factor for the Olympics.
He does every off season.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Oh God...

I'l just skip through all of the nonsense about the amount of international tournaments each has participated in, because it's just that; nonsense. And yes, I'm aware the WJC have nothing to do with the CHL... Dosen't change the fact that it's a tournament for teenagers, which some people tend to forget when discussing Eberle.

It's just laughable you would bring up the 2006 team as reason why St. Louis should be left off. That's insane.

Again, Eberle can easily make this team, but not at the expense of an elite winger like MSL. Maybe you haven't seen him play?
So I provide a good argument as to why Eberle will make it over MSL and instead of replying with a decent retort you use remarks like "oh god", "That's insane".

Eberle put up 2 points today...as expected. Where is Marty btw?

Old
05-04-2013, 02:54 PM
86Habs

Quote:
So I provide a good argument as to why Eberle will make it over MSL and instead of replying with a decent retort you use remarks like "oh god", "That's insane".

Eberle put up 2 points today...as expected. Where is Marty btw?
Can you answer a question for me - do you honestly think Eberle is a better hockey player than St. Louis?

Old
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Can you answer a question for me - do you honestly think Eberle is a better hockey player than St. Louis?
Absolutely crazy comparison. I seen Eberle play many games this year, and he was totally invisible at times. Hall on the other hand looked great the times i saw him. There are better options than Eberle. St.Louis has the spot on my team right now. Not even a comparison on who is better.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:
They are fairly comparable players. Both are small when considering the NHL average.

Obviously MSL is extremely talented. And at this point he has had a better career.

But again, these comparisons are ridiculous in the sense that Eberle has not hit his prime and MSL is at the end of it.

But people keep looking at this from an NHL prospective. Hockey Canada is a separate entity and Kevin Lowe will be a part of that.

The team they put together for Sochi will likely be a younger team. And the "vets" will be along the lines of E.Staal.

Eberle is the better player internationally. And has proven time and time gain that he can mesh quickly with anyone that is thrown onto his line. That is extremely important when putting a team together for the Olympics.

But hey, ignore all of the intangibles. MSL has had a great career and lead the league in points over a shortened season. He has to be a lock right?

Old
05-04-2013, 03:18 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Absolutely crazy comparison. I seen Eberle play many games this year, and he was totally invisible at times. Hall on the other hand looked great the times i saw him. There are better options than Eberle. St.Louis has the spot on my team right now. Not even a comparison on who is better.
I don't think so either. The poster I'm directing my question at appears to be contending that Eberle deserves to be on the 2014 team over MSL based solely on Eberle being on more Team Canada's in the past.

Needless to say I don't agree. Besides, how many times has Jarome Iginla declined invitations to the Worlds? MSL should be a lock, while Eberle (as we all acknowledge) is in the mix with a bunch of others for a roster spot. Far from a lock.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:
It was the Hall show during the regular season. But people keep forgetting that Eberle absolutely dominated the AHL.

Schultz and Eberle were clearly fatigued by the end of the year. Hall is a beast and kept them alive.

I totally agree that Eberle disappeared at times. But what happened to Tampa after the hot start at the beginning of the the year?

Old
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
They are fairly comparable players. Both are small when considering the NHL average.

Obviously MSL is extremely talented. And at this point he has had a better career.

But again, these comparisons are ridiculous in the sense that Eberle has not hit his prime and MSL is at the end of it.

But people keep looking at this from an NHL prospective. Hockey Canada is a separate entity and Kevin Lowe will be a part of that.

The team they put together for Sochi will likely be a younger team. And the "vets" will be along the lines of E.Staal.

Eberle is the better player internationally. And has proven time and time gain that he can mesh quickly with anyone that is thrown onto his line. That is extremely important when putting a team together for the Olympics.

But hey, ignore all of the intangibles. MSL has had a great career and lead the league in points over a shortened season. He has to be a lock right?
Better in international juniors does not mean anything once we get to the mens tournaments. What has Eberle done in the worlds that makes him a lock over MSL? Most locks for the 2014 Sochi team played in 2010 Vancouver.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:
I don't think so either. The poster I'm directing my question at appears to be contending that Eberle deserves to be on the 2014 team over MSL based solely on Eberle being on more Team Canada's in the past.

Needless to say I don't agree. Besides, how many times has Jarome Iginla declined invitations to the Worlds? MSL should be a lock, while Eberle (as we all acknowledge) is in the mix with a bunch of others for a roster spot. Far from a lock.
MSL was snubbed from the last Olympics. Why would he get an invite now?

Somehow has to explain that....

Old
05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
???

MSL had a terrific year, and Eberle had a horrible year.

Last year, Eberle was the better player, outscoring MSL, leading the Oilers in scoring and obviously having no Stamkos to play with.

It's not crazy to suggest that they could flip-flop once again by the time the Olympics roll around, with Eberle being the better player at that time. Eberle still has much room to improve with age being on his side, while MSL is old and who knows, could see a fast decline.

In all likelihood, imo, MSL and Eberle will be similar players next season, and while Eberle always jumps at the chance to play for Canada, MSL snubs them.

Closed Thread