HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds sign goalie Marek Mazanek to entry level deal

Old
05-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Jubal

vCash: 500
Preds sign goalie Marek Mazanek to entry level deal

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669010

Thoughts?

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Top 6 Spaling

6'4" Euro goalie?

Too short for us, trade him.

Really though, this probably spells the end of J. Smith in our organization.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Really though, this probably spells the end of J. Smith in our organization.
My first thought, too. Or at least stay buried in the E.

Is this guy any good?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
My first thought, too. Or at least stay buried in the E.

Is this guy any good?
Did great (and I mean great) in the Czech league this year, but then again...it's the Czech league.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:33 PM
predwings

Anyone have his stats? the NHL.com stats don't make sense...only say 17 gp 1033 mins and 65 GA...that would be horrid numbers.

Nevermind, I guess those are his stats.....

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:44 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Anyone have his stats? the NHL.com stats don't make sense...only say 17 gp 1033 mins and 65 GA...that would be horrid numbers.

For a 21 year old to put up his numbers in the Czech league, he must be pretty good. He had a .932 SV% and 2.13 GAA in 20 games in the playoffs and lead his team to a championship title.

The Czech league is likely a top 5 league in the world. Below the NHL, KHL and SEL in quality, but probably slightly below the AHL. I would compare the quality to that of SM-Liiga.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:05 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
For a 21 year old to put up his numbers in the Czech league, he must be pretty good. He had a .932 SV% and 2.13 GAA in 20 games in the playoffs and lead his team to a championship title.

The Czech league is likely a top 5 league in the world. Below the NHL, KHL and SEL in quality, but probably slightly below the AHL. I would compare the quality to that of SM-Liiga.
I did not see those stats. Those are reasonable numbers, I'm worried though if his season numbers and averages are 3.87 GA per game against that talent wouldn't you expect 3-4 vs NHL talent? He obviously has a while to mature, but unless he thrives in the AHL I doubt he becomes much else.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I did not see those stats. Those are reasonable numbers, I'm worried though if his season numbers and averages are 3.87 GA per game against that talent wouldn't you expect 3-4 vs NHL talent? He obviously has a while to mature, but unless he thrives in the AHL I doubt he becomes much else.
Did you really just judge someone based off stats on a team you've never watched in a league you've never watched? This isn't baseball stat lines are the end all.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

What you're looking at are last year's numbers from a loan spell with a third division team. Just above those are his numbers with Plzen for 11-12, which are significantly better (.900 SV, 2.96 GAA). This year, he got even better, as smitty points out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

Agree with pretty much all of this. Mazanec elevated his game in the postseason after initially being the backup for Tukka Rask during the lockout. It can be difficult to be a successful goalie in the Extraliga because scoring is typically really high, but all things considered, Mazanec had a fantastic year.

He's a really intriguing prospect. He's a big guy and a very good athlete, like most Czech goalies. I'm eager to see what he can do in North America next year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Good signing. Likely signals the end of the tenure of Jeremy Smith in the organization. Mazanek will likely backup Hellberg in Milwaukee next season with a free agent signing brought in to sit behind Rinne.

Hellberg needs the starting role in Milwaukee prior to being brought up and Smith is not going to be content to sit behind him. Mazanek will split the Milwaukee net with Hellberg and develop there with the hope that he will be ready to take over the Admirals net in 2014-15 when Hellberg makes the leap to the NHL.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Getting another good goalie prospect would be huge for this organization. After Hellberg, there isn't much. Hopefully he continues to develop well.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Good signing. Likely signals the end of the tenure of Jeremy Smith in the organization. Mazanek will likely backup Hellberg in Milwaukee next season with a free agent signing brought in to sit behind Rinne.

Hellberg needs the starting role in Milwaukee prior to being brought up and Smith is not going to be content to sit behind him. Mazanek will split the Milwaukee net with Hellberg and develop there with the hope that he will be ready to take over the Admirals net in 2014-15 when Hellberg makes the leap to the NHL.
I sure hope Poile has learned his lesson about drafting goalies with high picks...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I sure hope Poile has learned his lesson about drafting goalies with high picks...
A bit of a tangent here, but I thought I'd point it out.

1. Hellberg is looking like a very good pick, early in the second round. (Though Saad going after him burns)

2. Every complains about the Finley pick, but can you name the five players taken after him? Kris Beech, Taylor Pyatt, Jamie Lundmark, Branislav Mezei, and Oleg Saprykin. It's not like the other top guys fared much better. That draft class just sucked, plain and simple. Not a single Top 4 D, Top 9 forward, or NHL goalie was taken between picks 3 (Sedin) and 21 (Boynton, who was never incredible)

3. No defense for Pickard, that was a bad pick.

I agree that we should take goalies later, but it's not like Finley was a terrible pick or Hellberg is looking bad.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

1. Hellberg is looking like a very good pick, early in the second round. (Though Saad going after him burns)

2. Every complains about the Finley pick, but can you name the five players taken after him? Kris Beech, Taylor Pyatt, Jamie Lundmark, Branislav Mezei, and Oleg Saprykin. It's not like the other top guys fared much better. That draft class just sucked, plain and simple. Not a single Top 4 D, Top 9 forward, or NHL goalie was taken between picks 3 (Sedin) and 21 (Boynton, who was never incredible)

I agree that we should take goalies later, but it's not like Finley was a terrible pick or Hellberg is looking bad.
Saad is making me sick to my stomach with the way he's performing, hey let's take a goalie right here, I think everyone is right, poile couldn't draft a dynamic forward with out character issues to save his life

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:36 PM
adsfan

Quote:

The problem with Finley is that he never improved in Milwaukee. He is probably one of the few players in 15 years of affiliation that I can say that about.

Nashville drafted the wrong Pickard brother. Calvin is 2.5 years younger and is a better goalie than Chet. Look at their first full AHL season stats. Chet was 14-16-3 on a Milwaukee team that was a butt kicking 41-30-2-7. He had .892 save pct and 2.85 GAA. Brother Calvin was 20-19-5 with .918 and 2.47 GAA on a 35-31-3-7 team.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Predsrule

On a side note Chet Pickard has looked better this year.. Still a long way to go but at times he has showed some game this season.. Still such a bad pick...

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

1. Hellberg was a 2nd round pick not 1st

2. How about trading down hindsight is 20/20 but why take a Goalie with any 1st round pick

3. Looks even worse since he traded down and our pick became the guy that won the popularity contest over Weber for the Norris

Back on topic who is this guy and why is it news? Milwaukee or Cincy has a back-up goaltender big frigging deal

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Back on topic who is this guy and why is it news? Milwaukee or Cincy has a back-up goaltender big frigging deal
Yes, not everyone steps into an NHL organization and is ready to contribute at the NHL level. Actually, very few players are ready to contribute till the end of their ELC if ever. The Predators drafted a player they believe will be ready to contribute to their NHL roster in the future and are pleased enough with his development since the draft that they believe he's ready to take the next step in his progression and come over to North America so they can better monitor his development and use their resources to aid in his development.

Why is this not noteworthy?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post

Because it's the off-season and we have literally nothing else to discuss.

Plus, any time we sign a 6'4"+ goalie, it's worthy noting.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Yes, not everyone steps into an NHL organization and is ready to contribute at the NHL level. Actually, very few players are ready to contribute till the end of their ELC if ever. The Predators drafted a player they believe will be ready to contribute to their NHL roster in the future and are pleased enough with his development since the draft that they believe he's ready to take the next step in his progression and come over to North America so they can better monitor his development and use their resources to aid in his development.

Why is this not noteworthy?
Sometimes the smiley alludes me

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
I don't know if it will pan out but who cares.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
I don't know if it will pan out but who cares.
When Pekka sprains an ankle or pulls a groin, you may have a different opinion.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

Why can't he back up Pekka next year? I know every case is different, but Lindback was just fine. If he is good enough, and we are eating through his ELC, why not?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:53 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Why can't he back up Pekka next year? I know every case is different, but Lindback was just fine. If he is good enough, and we are eating through his ELC, why not?
Hellberg only played 1/2 of a season in the AHL. He isn't ready for the NHL.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Hellberg only played 1/2 of a season in the AHL. He isn't ready for the NHL.
If he is the best option, he is the best oprtion. Again, I will reference a raw Lindback and his vast AHL experience when he showed up and outplayed everyone for the backup role behind Pekka. Hellberg has more pro experience than Lindback at this stage. I hope he forces Nashville to keep him here

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote