HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Mike Smith headed to free agency?

Old
05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Edmonton seems like a good bet. Position vacant and they have the capspace/money.
How is the position vacant? Dubnyk put up a .920 save percentage this year behind a crappy defense.

Mike Smith put up .910 in Phoenix.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

vCash: 500
How hilarious would it be if the flyers bought out bryzgalov, signed mike smith, and then next season, Smith is terrible and Bryz reverts back to his Vezina calibre form?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
How hilarious would it be if the flyers bought out bryzgalov, signed mike smith, and then next season, Smith is terrible and Bryz reverts back to his Vezina calibre form?
And in another twist, the Coyotes were the team that signed Bryzgalov back on a sweetheart deal.

05-03-2013, 03:47 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
And in another twist, the Coyotes were the team that signed Bryzgalov back on a sweetheart deal.
Yeah that was my point. Forgot to add that part in haha

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I think it would be a foolish career move for Smith to leave Phoenix at this point. He has finally established himself by proving to be the right goalie for their system, and who knows if he could have the same success elsewhere. He has a good blueline in front of him whose top piece continues to get better each day (OEL).

With the Olympics right around the corner, Smith should be right in the thick of things when talking about Canadian goaltenders ( no one else really seems to have a hold on the job). It wouldn't be smart to make a drastic career move that could jeopardize that standing.

I think Smith will end up staying in Phoenix for somewhere in between $9MM and $11MM over two seasons, or maybe in the neighborhood of $15MM over three.
Oh good God, I hope NOT! Each of those suggestions represent twice his actual worth. FIVE million bucks for Mike Smith. Yikes. No effing way. You know that ten percent of our ENTIRE roster budget, right. Good God, no way.

The absolute biggest deal I'd give him is three years, ten million. If he wants more, he's welcome to go be a horrifying disappointment to another franchise and market. We all know how much he enjoyed letting down everyone in Tampa. Knock yourself out Mike. Go ahead.

05-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Beerfish

Anyone that over pays for Smith is flat out nuts. Look for the flyers to pursue him.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
How is the position vacant? Dubnyk put up a .920 save percentage this year behind a crappy defense.

Agreed - and I'm a huge fan of Smith's, but he was essentially a league-average goaltender this year:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/smithm.html

(under Regular Season Statistics)

Dubnyk, on the other hand, was more than a standard deviation above average, and four years younger to boot.

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/dubnyk.html

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

I can't say I'd like for the Leafs to shell out for him, but the Leafs could really, really use a goalie with his puck handling abilities.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Though it is a shallow UFA goalie market (Smith, Backstrom, Khudobin, Theodore, Nabokov), there aren't a lot of teams likely looking for a goalie: Carolina might look for a back-up, same with Columbus, possibly Detroit, Edmonton will be looking for a back-up/1B type goalie, Florida will be looking at a back-up, Minnesota might be looking at a starter if Backstrom leaves, same with the Islanders, Winnipeg will probably look at another back-up. Plus when you throw in trade possibilities like Roberto Luongo and Ryan Miller, you've got 5 starting goalies with few starting slots available.
All of which is why I'd be surprised anyone (other than Phoenix) throws a lot of money at Smith. I don't really understand all of the hype about him when, other than the 2011-12 season, he hasn't really put together impressive seasons - and he failed to capture the starting positions in Dallas or Tampa before signing with Phoenix. To me, he's a journeyman goalie that had one spectacular season - not unlike what happened with Brian Elliot or Ilya Bryzgalov.

Backstrom has a far longer, more proven track record than Smith and should command far more if he enters free agency IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I think this could turn out like Stempniak and the Yotes did a few years back. Stemps hit the market after getting traded to the Yotes late the season and put up 14 goals in 18 games. Then everyone expected him to become a UFA and get paid, but the GMs all saw through the numbers, and PHX re-signed him later in the summer for a decent cost on a short-term deal. I could see a similar situation working out here because Smith and the Yotes seem to be a good fit for each other, and other teams might not want to gamble on getting pre-PHX Mike Smith.

The fact is Smith looked great last year (11/12), but looked like his old, inconsistent self this past year with some standout performances thrown in. I doubt there is really a large market for him, the timing is poor.
It's different for goalies. We're going to see one goalie go on a big, surprising, amazing run and carry his team to the Conference finals this year, and at least one good team crash out when their goalie collapses in a series / big game. A GM will overreact. Smith and Backstrom are the two most attractive goalies this summer, and when the market is thin, prices soar. If Jimmy Howard got 6 years, Smith will get 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I can't say I'd like for the Leafs to shell out for him, but the Leafs could really, really use a goalie with his puck handling abilities.
I like this opinion, because it's insane.

A goalie who can handle the puck well and help his defense make clean breakouts is a nice bonus ... it's not a reason to sign a guy. It IS a reason for a dumb team to add an extra year and an extra million per.

Most Coyotes fans have already come to grips with the idea that Smith won't be around next year, and most aren't that troubled by it. I'd love to have him back, but not if it means the budget for scoring gets crunched even more ... goaltender is a position I'm willing to take a chance if a chance needs to be taken in order to afford a couple 30-goal scorers.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I know where he won't sign.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
He's a pretty likable guy so I hope he gets overpaid in July especially since there's zero chance it will be with the Lightning.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
BarDownMcBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

I believe the 'vacant position' being referred to is as a 1B with Dubnyk. As long as they don't make a huge overpay for him I think he's a good fit there though.

BarDownMcBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Yeah.. he can handle the puck better than some of our defenseman

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I believe the 'vacant position' being referred to is as a 1B with Dubnyk. As long as they don't make a huge overpay for him I think he's a good fit there though.
Yes, this is what I meant.

IMO Smith dreaming about a certain number 1 job and the big money contract is just that, him dreaming.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
thelos
Bunk

I could see him in CGY if Kipp retires

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Gundee1114

Quote:
Interesting read. Though it is a shallow UFA goalie market (Smith, Backstrom, Khudobin, Theodore, Nabokov), there aren't a lot of teams likely looking for a goalie: Carolina might look for a back-up, same with Columbus, possibly Detroit, Edmonton will be looking for a back-up/1B type goalie, Florida will be looking at a back-up, Minnesota might be looking at a starter if Backstrom leaves, same with the Islanders, Winnipeg will probably look at another back-up.
I would much rather give Backstrom 6 million per year again than give Mike Smith anything north of 3.5 million. Please stay away from Minnesota.

Gundee1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Toronto is NOT sold on their goalie every statment ever made by dave Nonis points to that so if Reimer bombs which he did in game 1 with 2 brutal goals. Don't be shocked if Nonis signs Simth who tied the NHL lead in shutouts or Backstrom or looks at Luongo and Miller
James was Toronto's nominee for the masterson this year and he posted the 7th best save percentage in the league.

Most people who've watched the Leafs regularly this season know that goaltending is the least of their worries. When you're out shot 50-18 in every game, it doesn't really matter who's between the pipes. You're probably going to lose.

The organization has said that they're interested in a more experienced goalie but mike smith isn't exactly a vet. I have to ask why it is that every time a player approaches free agency we have to throw Toronto's name at it?

Mike Smith would be wise to sign with Phoenix. I'm not really sure if a lot of other teams have a starter position for him.

Last edited by spiny norman: 05-03-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: not needed
Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:52 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
per an article by Sarah McLellan today

To me, parts of the article make it almost sound like Phoenix is unsure on whether Smith is worth the money and using the instability as an excuse to let Smith go.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ike-smith.html

Interesting read. Though it is a shallow UFA goalie market (Smith, Backstrom, Khudobin, Theodore, Nabokov), there aren't a lot of teams likely looking for a goalie: Carolina might look for a back-up, same with Columbus, possibly Detroit, Edmonton will be looking for a back-up/1B type goalie, Florida will be looking at a back-up, Minnesota might be looking at a starter if Backstrom leaves, same with the Islanders, Winnipeg will probably look at another back-up. Plus when you throw in trade possibilities like Roberto Luongo and Ryan Miller, you've got 5 starting goalies with few starting slots available.
Tim Thomas also...I think he will be the steal of the summer. It's not uncommon for top goalies to take a year off. Jacques Plante did it, Hasek, Ken Dryden. When they came back the rest seems like revitalizes and extends their careers. Each went on to about 3 or 4 more good years.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Kinda feel bad for Smith because I liked him back in his Dallas days and thought he would become a #1 in Tampa; it's true what he said, he was always given short-term deals to prove himself. I think he's done that in his stint with Phoenix.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
per an article by Sarah McLellan today

To me, parts of the article make it almost sound like Phoenix is unsure on whether Smith is worth the money and using the instability as an excuse to let Smith go.
It makes sense since they did the same thing with Bryzgalov. It worked once already.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:00 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

I think Smith is much like Kiprusoff and not in a good way.

Great goaltender on a defense first team. Average goaltender when playing on a team that is more offensive minded and gives up more chances. Flames saw this with Kiprusoff under Mike Keenan and again under Hartley, if Smith leaves he better hope an offer comes from a sound defensive team of he will be exploited for what he is.

That said if Kiprusoff does decide not to retire, they could trade him to Phoenix as he would be great there due to the system played.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Book it.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:38 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Hopefully the Coyotes can trade him for something but I doubt it this time after other teams have seen what has happened with Bryz after he got traded to Philly.
Plus the more important fact the season is over and he's a UFA.

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:08 PM
IKEA

who is the next mike smith?

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote