HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are really missing Orpik

Old
05-04-2013, 02:12 PM
plaidchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
No, we don't. We won 5-0 with him out of the line-up, and if you think Orpik of all people would've curbed our stupid decision-making yesterday, you haven't been paying attention the past couple years.

Engelland played poorly yesterday, along with just about every other Pens defenseman including Letang and Martin. He was stellar on Wednesday, but you know, what have you done for us lately? Because this is HF where people have the memories of fruit flies, and the more sensationalistic you can make a situation appear, the better.
Yet is pretty funny, Wednesday they were the best ever and Fleury had finally "come of age", after yesterday they are all bums.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTANGled58 View Post
Orpik was out there for the Cup win

Orpik was out there during our 15 game winning streak.

See, that was easy.
So when the team does well its because of him, and when he does poorly it's not?

Easy indeed. Great logic.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
This board finally gets what they want (Opik out of the lineup) and now we want him back?
Lol....from what I read on hfboard, I though we already traded him .

I don't think he (or Neal) is a solution to the problem.

Issue is we had 3 easy goals in game 2....we stayed in "run and gun" mode, and they tightened up. We thought we could beat them playing pure run and gun on talent alone and it didn't happen.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Adams27

Yeah the guy really sucked,he only went up against the other teams best line night after night and led the team in hits and blocked shots and ended the season with a plus rating. Other than that he was terrible.

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
pensfansince88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Last night, we looked exactly like we did last spring when Orpik was in the lineup. He's not a difference-maker, good or bad, anymore. He's just a body.
this. 100% orpik makes no difference in last nights debacle.

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:05 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfansince88 View Post
this. 100% orpik makes no difference in last nights debacle.
I dunno how anybody could say Orpik wouldn't of made a difference last night, Engelland who wouldn't be in the lineup if Orpik was healthy took 2 penalties, the one pp goal NYI got was when Engelland was in the box.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I dunno how anybody could say Orpik wouldn't of made a difference last night, Engelland who wouldn't be in the lineup if Orpik was healthy took 2 penalties, the one pp goal NYI got was when Engelland was in the box.
Are you basing that on anything in particular?

Orpik had the most minor penalties on the team this year and was arguably our worst decision-maker on the blueline. Suggesting we would've been in a better position - penalty or puck management-wise - if he were playing yesterday instead of Engelland is pretty dubious.

You're just throwing it out there because there's no way to disprove it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:48 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:

Orpik had the most minor penalties on the team this year and was arguably our worst decision-maker on the blueline. Suggesting we would've been in a better position - penalty or puck management-wise - if he were playing yesterday instead of Engelland is pretty dubious.

Yeah if he matched the rest of the teams performance last night the score probably would have been really ugly.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:21 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:

Engelland had an awful game in every way possible, Its highly likely Orpik would of played a better game then Engelland, I don't know how anybody could even debate this.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Engelland had an awful game in every way possible, Its highly likely Orpik would of played a better game then Engelland, I don't know how anybody could even debate this.
The whole defense was terrible, and Orpik's been prone all year to doing the exact same things that you're criticizing Engelland for. Just like he was last year in the playoffs.

It would've helped nothing. But if you think it would have, against all evidence, more power to you.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
The whole defense was terrible, and Orpik's been prone all year to doing the exact same things that you're criticizing Engelland for. Just like he was last year in the playoffs.

It would've helped nothing. But if you think it would have, against all evidence, more power to you.
Do you think Orpik is our #3, or #4 D?

Whatever number you feel he is....if a lower number was playing instead of him, then we played worse than we could have. That is measurable.

Would anything different have happened if Orpik had played? No way to prove either way.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgeni Malkby View Post
Do you think Orpik is our #3, or #4 D?

Whatever number you feel he is....if a lower number was playing instead of him, then we played worse than we could have. That is measurable.

Would anything different have happened if Orpik had played? No way to prove either way.
I feel that Orpik's been a poor #4 who's cost us because of his error-prone play with big minutes. So no, the idea that a lower pairing defenseman playing instead of him automatically makes us worse is not "measurable". In fact, it's totally subjective.

Martin was a top 4 defenseman getting big minutes in the playoffs last year, and we got better when he went down to injury and we inserted two rookies to help re-distribute his minutes.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:04 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

Agreed.

I'm a big Orpik fan, but he has not been good for a couple of years now.

(It's like I spotted Bigfoot, a Super Reverse homer sighting)

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Agreed.

I'm a big Orpik fan, but he has not been good for a couple of years now.

(It's like I spotted Bigfoot, a Super Reverse homer sighting)
td! It'd be fun to see what ol' SRH has to say about these playoffs, haha.

As for Orpik, ideally we'd move him over the summer to open up some cap space and opportunity for Bort and Despres. Who knows though. The team seems to respect his locker room presence.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
I feel that Orpik's been a poor #4 who's cost us because of his error-prone play with big minutes. So no, the idea that a lower pairing defenseman playing instead of him automatically makes us worse is not "measurable". In fact, it's totally subjective.

Martin was a top 4 defenseman getting big minutes in the playoffs last year, and we got better when he went down to injury and we inserted two rookies to help re-distribute his minutes.
So you are suggesting that when he is healthy, he should be benched?

Old
05-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgeni Malkby View Post
So you are suggesting that when he is healthy, he should be benched?
I know that would never happen, so no. But I don't think he's any better than our bottom pairing guys at this point.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

We need Orpik for several reasons.

First is that his presence will force Bylsma to play players out of position/comfort zone less.
Second is that Orpik remains our most physical defender.
Third is that he is a lot better than Engelland and Eaton, and I would say that against this Islanders team he is also more valuable than Murray who suffers against pace.

Ultimately though, success or failure against the Isles shouldn't have anything to do with Orpik being there or not.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Aiastelmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
We need Orpik for several reasons.

First is that his presence will force Bylsma to play players out of position/comfort zone less.
Second is that Orpik remains our most physical defender.
Third is that he is a lot better than Engelland and Eaton, and I would say that against this Islanders team he is also more valuable than Murray who suffers against pace.

Ultimately though, success or failure against the Isles shouldn't have anything to do with Orpik being there or not.
Orpik is not better than Eaton or Murray. He has some advantages over those two, but he is certainly not better compared even up against either of those D. Right now, I would say our D are ranked as (and should receive minutes) as follows:

#1 Martin when "On", for pure defensive play, functional offensive skills
#2 Letang when not being a moron
#3/4 Eaton for straight up defense, decision making, and not taking stupid penalties
#3/4 Murray for steady defensive play, PK, crease-clearer, veteran presence, durability, and underrated passing
#5 Niskanen when he is right, which he clearly has not been this series.
#6 Orpik for all the reasons everyone has mentioned

Orpik is better than Engelland purely due to experience and intangibles. Depres should be physically and experience-wise ready to take over for Orpik next year, and should bring ever increasing physicality as he gets comfortable, rather than being on the decline as Orpik is.

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Yeah, no. We're not missing Orpik's play. We might be missing him in the dressing room, but he's probably there anyway.

We need to execute better. I think we're missing Vitale's speed and tenacity on the 4th line, and I would love to see Dustin Jeffrey there, as well. If Crosby & Malkin are both back and healthy, I don't really see the need for JJ, but if they're going to put JJ in there, I'd rather see this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams/JJ-Jeffrey-Vitale (with Vitale taking some draws)

Anyway you slice it, I don't see how Glass is better than Vitale in any respect other than maybe dropping the gloves, which doesn't happen very often.
JJ is great on the draws. 18-13 over the last 3 games (58%).
Comparison. Malkin is 50%, Crosby is 27-23 (54%), Sutter 19-23 (45%). He's also a skilled guy who can play the PK, and can play anywhere in the lineup. I have no issues with him in our lineup, and would hate to see him sitting in favor of Jeffrey or Vitale. If anything sit Glass (who I don't actually mind) and dress Vitale.

Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Adams - JJ - Vitale

As for Orpik... I'd like to see him in the lineup.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."

Last edited by Riptide: 05-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Yeah, no. We're not missing Orpik's play. We might be missing him in the dressing room, but he's probably there anyway.

We need to execute better. I think we're missing Vitale's speed and tenacity on the 4th line, and I would love to see Dustin Jeffrey there, as well. If Crosby & Malkin are both back and healthy, I don't really see the need for JJ, but if they're going to put JJ in there, I'd rather see this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams/JJ-Jeffrey-Vitale (with Vitale taking some draws)

Anyway you slice it, I don't see how Glass is better than Vitale in any respect other than maybe dropping the gloves, which doesn't happen very often.

Guess I was wrong about him being sarcastic the first time

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:49 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTANGled58 View Post
Orpik was out there for the Cup win

Orpik was out there during our 15 game winning streak.

See, that was easy.
I thought that was because Eaton was in for those games

On as erious note: if this team needs orpik, to win the SC than its already too late. i cannot believe what I am hearing that somehow we need Orpik to win the Cup

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote