HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Patrick Roy - Next Head Coach of the Avs?

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy - Next Head Coach of the Avs?

Hot Stove is saying that Sakic's going to tell Denver next week whether he's agreeable to taking a job running the Avs' hockey operations (it sounds like something akin to being the president of the organization???).

If he takes it he's expected to invite Patrick Roy to be the next head coach. It's not clear whether Roy would agree to take the position because apparently his involvement with the Remparts is very lucrative

If Sakic doesn't take the job then they're expected to do an extensive search for a head coach.

thoughts?

Old
05-04-2013, 08:06 PM
premadonna

Bringing the old crew back, it seems.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
I don't think any outsider knows exactly what's going on with Avs but if it was Friedman, there's probably something to it since he's not one to wildly speculate.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Welcome to the old boys club Avs. You'll find once they get into the franchise they never seem to leave.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

I fully support Roy as coach.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Welcome to the old boys club Avs. You'll find once they get into the franchise they never seem to leave.
No problem with bringing Roy in. He's qualified as a coach and a winner as well. Sakic as president I can get behind too. Sakic as GM? If Sherman is kept as assistant GM then I can live with it.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:19 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
No problem with bringing Roy in. He's qualified as a coach and a winner as well. Sakic as president I can get behind too. Sakic as GM? If Sherman is kept as assistant GM then I can live with it.
They were saying Billington may get promoted to day-to-day stuff. I would imagine it would be a collaborative effort between Sherman and Billington, Sherman's been pretty good with contracts.

Also agree with the Roy thing. It would be a different story if he had no coaching experience, but he has been having pretty good success in the QMJHL, has the "win or die" type attitude that this team may flourish under.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:19 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Besides the guy being a total egomaniac?

He's qualified because he part owns the Ramparts and decided to give himself the job. This is a guy who is always on the forefront of controversy when it comes to the QMJHL. But that's besides the point. I understand bringing in successful people but one just has to look at Edmonton and Kevin Lowe and Coach Gretzky to see why it's usually a bad idea.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:22 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:

He's qualified because he part owns the Ramparts and decided to give himself the job. This is a guy who is always on the forefront of controversy when it comes to the QMJHL. But that's besides the point. I understand bringing in successful people but one just has to look at Edmonton and Kevin Lowe and Coach Gretzky to see why it's usually a bad idea.
Difference being that Roy has actually had success coaching, Gretzky had no history.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

Yeah, but he's been good at the job.

...and the egomania will be entertaining for all the other fanbases (and maybe even the Avs fans).

Old
05-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:

His players love him. He gave himself the job but he does the job right. Remparts always do well and he has a Memorial Cup ring. Not to mention he's a winner and can turn this team around. Plus our team is young, and Roy has lots of practice dealing with younger players. Don't see any reason for him not to be a coach. Forefront of controversy? Please make up more fairy tales.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:31 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
His players love him. He gave himself the job but he does the job right. Remparts always do well and he has a Memorial Cup ring. Not to mention he's a winner and can turn this team around. Plus our team is young, and Roy has lots of practice dealing with younger players. Don't see any reason for him not to be a coach. Forefront of controversy? Please make up more fairy tales.
If he wants to be the forefront and take the criticism/attention off the players so that they can focus on playing, go for it.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

Lowe had no front office experience when the Oilers made him GM. Gretzky had no coaching experience when the Coyotes made him head coach.

Sakic has had a position in the Avs front office for 2 or 3 years. Billington has been with the Avs for the past 11 years and he has been VP of Player Development for the last 5 years. Roy has been the Ramparts head coach for the last 8 years.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:50 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
He said he wasn't contacted 2 days ago

Old
05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Whatever character flaws Roy has, the entire Avalanche front office are familiar with them. They've seen the best and worst of him.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:03 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Lowe had no front office experience when the Oilers made him GM. Gretzky had no coaching experience when the Coyotes made him head coach.

Sakic has had a position in the Avs front office for 2 or 3 years. Billington has been with the Avs for the past 11 years and he has been VP of Player Development for the last 5 years. Roy has been the Ramparts head coach for the last 8 years.
Even so, neither did Sakic when he was hired so that's kind of a cherry picked argument.

Coaching a bunch of impressionable teenagers is one thing. Coaching professional players is another.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Even so, neither did Sakic when he was hired so that's kind of a cherry picked argument.

Coaching a bunch of impressionable teenagers is one thing. Coaching professional players is another.
Sakic wasn't hired to be the GM. They gave him some made up title and put him in the front office so he could learn. Like the Wings did with Yzerman after he retired. Oilers handed the team over to Lowe when he had no experience and he was the one making all the decisions. There's a big difference there.

You have to start coaching somewhere and Roy has done a good job in Quebec. Who knows how it'll translate to the NHL but at least he does have experience doing it.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:11 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

hunter was able to do it.

and re sakic...he wasn't the avs' GM. He was an "advisor" (and alternate governor) so presumably has been able to learn the ropes to a degree without having more responsibility than he was equipped to deal with.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I mean, it can't be worse than where they are now. Still, Lindy Ruff seems like a better option.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
If his agent was contacted instead, then this could be technically true and more politically-savvy.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:22 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If his agent was contacted instead, then this could be technically true and more politically-savvy.
Hotstove made it sound like they hadn't contacted Roy yet, that they wanted to settle the Sakic situation first and move from there.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball View Post
Honestly I feel bad for Avs fans. This may be the most incompetent organization in hockey right now. Although the Oilers come close to their level of cronyism to be honest
If these rumors are true then our organization is taking a turn for the better. If Roy is hired as head coach and Billington and Sherman share GM duties then I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I mean, it can't be worse than where they are now. Still, Lindy Ruff seems like a better option.
Possible. I like the idea of Roy being coach though.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
That would make sense. If Sakic declines and they go another direction, they'd want to let that guy make his own decision on the coach.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:01 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

I hope the Sabres off him the full time job. He coached Grigs in Quebec and could get the most out of him plus His son Fredrick Roy is Sabre property and plays for their AHL club in Rochester.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:51 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

If Roy is a coach anywhere next year I figure it would be with Colorado. That said I don't know what the big deal is with him being a top candidate to be a NHL head coach.