HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Tablets - ICS vs Win8

View Poll Results: Tablet Operating System: ICS or Win8 ?
ICS 3 37.50%
Win8 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2013, 01:50 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 500
Tablets - ICS vs Win8

I just got a new android tablet (my first) with ICS....I have had a laptop with windows for about 7 years now...I am finding it hard to get used to the ICS operating system....

The girl at the store said don't bother with any tablet that has windows because that operating system was not designed for tablets, and it will always bog down....

Questions:

what does everyone here prefer for tablets ? No ipad stuff...just ics v win8, thanks....

does anyone think that eventually I will get used to ics, and actually like it ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:58 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Not Windows 8. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to go the Apple route with Mobile 8 so it's pretty locked up. Android is open source.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:59 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Android TBH

ICS is nice .... check if there is an OS update available

If not, root and flash a Jelly Bean ROM

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
The girl at the store was wrong... Windows 8 is great on tablets.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
The girl at the store was wrong... Windows 8 is great on tablets.
I haven't played with it on a tablet, just on a laptop, but it's definitely a tablet OS. Lesson to learn - don't trust salesmen/women - they usually just know enough to get your money and screw you over. Not that Android is bad either.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I haven't played with it on a tablet, just on a laptop, but it's definitely a tablet OS. Lesson to learn - don't trust salesmen/women - they usually just know enough to get your money and screw you over. Not that Android is bad either.
I've used a touchscreen and non touchscreen laptop, huge difference. Windows 8 is really intuitive once you can touch it, the tiled homescreen is easy for people to learn too. Desktop works well as a legacy function.

I'm watching with very curious eyes on the leapmotion tech Asus is adding to their laptops in the near future. Gesture control much like a kinect for your computer, could be a big success. In the meantime, I recommend people buy up the touch controlled mice people are selling, good blend of touch and mechanical control.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
As long as the customer knows that his PC programs won't run on his Windows 8 tablet, I say have at it.

I'd lean towards an Android tablet for ease of use and established ecosystem, but I don't know exactly what there is in the Windows 8 tablet app market.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Neither. iPad.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
As long as the customer knows that his PC programs won't run on his Windows 8 tablet, I say have at it.
Depends on what you get for a tablet - there are ARM based tablets, and x64 based tablets.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Depends on what you get for a tablet - there are ARM based tablets, and x64 based tablets.
Right, sorry, forgot about the x64 based ones as they seem to cost a bloody fortune.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Right, sorry, forgot about the x64 based ones as they seem to cost a bloody fortune.
Yeah, I've been interested in them, but not at anywhere near the price they go for. I'll stick with my Playbook for the time being.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:57 AM
guinness
those were the days

Windows RT no, although the Yoga 11 has ridiculous battery life according to the reviews, like 12 hours, and it has Office included, but there aren't much in the way of apps. And while I've been running 8 on a desktop since October, and on a new laptop for about a month, it runs perfectly fine, but TBH, I spend most of my time in the desktop, metro apps seem to be crappy for the most part, outside of MS ones.

And considering that Internet Explorer is the only browser for RT is a drawback as well, MS is even more restrictive than Apple.

It's hard for me to give a complete picture on ICS, as my tablet runs CM9, but the UI and lack of tablet optimized apps were a drawback, it is a bit more open than iOS, but I thought it was lacking in the spit and polish department, but considering I was running a hacked together ROM, it's not the same as a Nexus 7 or 10.

If I was going to get a tablet now, I'd still go for an iPad, preferably the Mini with a retina screen (which is only a matter of time)

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:46 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I just got a new android tablet (my first) with ICS....I have had a laptop with windows for about 7 years now...I am finding it hard to get used to the ICS operating system....

The girl at the store said don't bother with any tablet that has windows because that operating system was not designed for tablets, and it will always bog down....

Questions:

what does everyone here prefer for tablets ? No ipad stuff...just ics v win8, thanks....

does anyone think that eventually I will get used to ics, and actually like it ?
I actually like the windows 8 UI and think it works well on tablets. I have a work laptop that I must use so I bought a nook hd+ and threw cyanogenmod on there to cover the tablet angle. If I were not in this situation I would buy a windows tablet, simply because it does the job of both a laptop and a tablet. I would rather have one versatile device.

meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

That person steered you the wrong way.
Windows 8 Tablets are fine, but your previous experience with Windows might not translate to a good understanding of Windows 8/WIndows RT with the huge overhaul they did of the OS.

Also, if you were considering an Android Tablet, I'm not sure I would have suggested anything but a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. A LOT of the Android tablets out there are absolute junk.

ICS isn't the latest version of Android, Jelly Bean is.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:55 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
If I was going to get a tablet now, I'd still go for an iPad, preferably the Mini with a retina screen (which is only a matter of time)
This. Once/if the Retina Mini comes out, it will be the tablet to have.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Hahahaha

Apple

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Clock

As is with all software platforms, the only thing that really matters is the software that you'll actually be using.

I picked up an iPad despite the fact that I'm not an Apple fan, because at the end of the day, if you're looking for a piece of tablet software, chances are the first place it's going to come out is on that ecosystem and the amount of apps that exist in that ecosystem is impressive (especially for kiddy / educational / media stuff).

I know you said no Apple stuff, but I only bring it up to emphasize that you should just go with where your software is. If you want to use Windows apps / Office stuff, get Windows 8. Past that, where are your apps?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:07 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
As is with all software platforms, the only thing that really matters is the software that you'll actually be using.

I picked up an iPad despite the fact that I'm not an Apple fan, because at the end of the day, if you're looking for a piece of tablet software, chances are the first place it's going to come out is on that ecosystem and the amount of apps that exist in that ecosystem is impressive (especially for kiddy / educational / media stuff).

I know you said no Apple stuff, but I only bring it up to emphasize that you should just go with where your software is. If you want to use Windows apps / Office stuff, get Windows 8. Past that, where are your apps?
Agreed.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
That person steered you the wrong way.
Windows 8 Tablets are fine, but your previous experience with Windows might not translate to a good understanding of Windows 8/WIndows RT with the huge overhaul they did of the OS.

Also, if you were considering an Android Tablet, I'm not sure I would have suggested anything but a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. A LOT of the Android tablets out there are absolute junk.

ICS isn't the latest version of Android, Jelly Bean is.
Disagree, the most expense Nook HD+ (32 GB, 9 inch 1920x1280 display) is $20 cheaper than the cheapest Nexus 7 now. Also as of now it supports the play store so you can have all your android apps run on stock. Finally, it runs cyanogenmod 10.1 right off the SD card, so reverting to stock is as easy as pulling out the card.

meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

The thing I have noticed with ICS is that it seems harder to basic things that I normally do in Windows.....

Like usage of the mouse...How do you use those mouse functions in ICS ?

Also, I am having a heck of a time in the forums (I am n windows laptop now)...But I can't see when I type in forums so I don't know what my grammar and spelling looks like...It's a pain in the ass the scroll down only to have it disappear....How do you type, and see in forums ?

Also how do you highlight stuff that you want to bold or italicize ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
The thing I have noticed with ICS is that it seems harder to basic things that I normally do in Windows.....

Like usage of the mouse...How do you use those mouse functions in ICS ?

Also, I am having a heck of a time in the forums (I am n windows laptop now)...But I can't see when I type in forums so I don't know what my grammar and spelling looks like...It's a pain in the ass the scroll down only to have it disappear....How do you type, and see in forums ?

Also how do you highlight stuff that you want to bold or italicize ?
These are more symptoms of transitioning into a new way of interacting with our devices (touch screen) than of ICS. On screen keyboards kill viewing space and it's really no better on any other tablet. It's just something you've got to get used to, unfortunately. It gets better with practice.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Huge fan of my Asus TF700.

Full 1080P is gorgeous. And developer support is amazing.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
invictus

I hope this is an okay spot to ask.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (they need a better naming scheme, lol)

I am uploading some files from my laptop to dropbox. I want to then go into them on my tablet. Is there a way to play audio while reading a PDF?

Basically, I have some language learning things I wanted to use on the tablet. It requires listening to the audio in the target language while reading a dual-translation on the page. I figured something like that would be a neat use of the tablet, but I was unsure if it was possible and easy to do. Any ideas?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote