HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 2 Plus-Minus Thread

View Poll Results: The Game winning goal.
Bad Luck 56 42.75%
Bad Goaltending 75 57.25%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
This is so true.

I've never seen a goalie so completely mystified by wraparounds, I'm surprised teams don't just try them against him constantly.

Fleury is the NHL 94 goaltending AI in real life.
2nd person to find that statement hilarious . Somebody needs to send him a copy of NHL13...lol .

We have to set the right expectations with Fleury....

1) Lunqvist >>> Fleury, so don't compare them. If you think we should get our own Lundqvist...not gonna happen!

2) There is a lack of 1st string goalies out there (see Flyers & Washington).

3) Fleury is a legit 1st string goalie. Admittedly not the best.

4) Vokoun is too old as a long term solution (heck even medium term).

5) We have Fleury, pretty much long term....live with it! DB needs to structure a system around him to insulate his weaknesses. The same one would do with any other player on the ice.

My problem with the comments are the expectation that we should have the PERFECT team....doesn't work like that.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
TheFlightlessBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
But keep this guy:

I'd probably keep Dana Heinze and his mad skate sharpening skills and that's it.

TheFlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgeni Malkby View Post
2nd person to find that statement hilarious . Somebody needs to send him a copy of NHL13...lol .

We have to set the right expectations with Fleury....

1) Lunqvist >>> Fleury, so don't compare them. If you think we should get our own Lundqvist...not gonna happen!

2) There is a lack of 1st string goalies out there (see Flyers & Washington).

3) Fleury is a legit 1st string goalie. Admittedly not the best.

4) Vokoun is too old as a long term solution (heck even medium term).

5) We have Fleury, pretty much long term....live with it! DB needs to structure a system around him to insulate his weaknesses. The same one would do with any other player on the ice.
1). Fleury is a top 25 goalie.
2). There is not-Holtby has been fine for Washington. The Flyer's are just inept at anything defense related, including goalies. Schneider, Luongo, Bernier are all possible goaltenders available.
3.) There are 30 spots in the NHL. He would be in one of those spots, yes.
4.) Vokoun isn't a long term solution. Agreed.
5.) We have Fleury for 2 more years until UFA.

The system's reliant on good first passes from defenseman and getting the puck up. If Bylsma simply adjusted the transition game we'd be much better in all facets, imo.

Anyone else feel like our D doesn't pinch nearly enough in the offense zone along the boards like they did in 09?

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
1). Fleury is a top 25 goalie.
2). There is not-Holtby has been fine for Washington. The Flyer's are just inept at anything defense related, including goalies. Schneider, Luongo, Bernier are all possible goaltenders available.
3.) There are 30 spots in the NHL. He would be in one of those spots, yes.
4.) Vokoun isn't a long term solution. Agreed.
5.) We have Fleury for 2 more years until UFA.

The system's reliant on good first passes from defenseman and getting the puck up. If Bylsma simply adjusted the transition game we'd be much better in all facets, imo.

Anyone else feel like our D doesn't pinch nearly enough in the offense zone along the boards like they did in 09?
2) It's always challenging to find the right goalie. It's often not as clear cut as a Lungqvist or Brodeur.

5) Who would you replace him with? If we had found a legit backup goalie with 1st string potential, don't you think we would have gotten him? or do you feel that the Pens management is drinking Fleury-cool-aid?

Agreed...if we did a 2 step shorter pass, probably would make things easier and more stable, and turnovers more controlled...but realistically, I'm not an NHL coach .

You can see that our focus on the stretch pass really makes our D vulnerable. Our forwards hightail it out of the D zone the second we almost get the puck.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
SCPens

There's so much that goes into a long playoff run, and yesterday's loss will be an important piece to this year's run. Allowing that many shots/shot attempts in the first - and for the whole game for that matter - should teach the group a lesson going forward. Complacency won't win games in the playoffs. The hard work and focus can't stop, and beating a team 5-zip will affect the best of us subconsciously. Then up 3 - 1 that 'easily' and that quickly put the team in a vulnerable spot. They'll learn from this. They'll come out with their most focused game yet of the three tomorrow afternoon.

SCPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
There's so much that goes into a long playoff run, and yesterday's loss will be an important piece to this year's run. Allowing that many shots/shot attempts in the first - and for the whole game for that matter - should teach the group a lesson going forward. Complacency won't win games in the playoffs. The hard work and focus can't stop, and beating a team 5-zip will affect the best of us subconsciously. Then up 3 - 1 that 'easily' and that quickly put the team in a vulnerable spot. They'll learn from this. They'll come out with their most focused game yet of the three tomorrow afternoon.
In the long run....yes...it's very possible that a sweep of the Islanders would have resulted in something different happening in round 2.

What concerns me is Crosby's statement...."you lose sometimes in the playoffs" (or something like that), and the supposedly super relaxed atmosphere of practice Saturday.

It's almost as if he doesn't acknowledge that the Islanders played a better game than them.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
In the long run....yes...it's very possible that a sweep of the Islanders would have resulted in something different happening in round 2.

What concerns me is Crosby's statement...."you lose sometimes in the playoffs" (or something like that), and the supposedly super relaxed atmosphere of practice Saturday.

It's almost as if he doesn't acknowledge that the Islanders played a better game than them.
It's hard for us to judge what is going on in their heads right now simply from a captain's politically correct post game comments.

As for the relaxed atmosphere, same goes for that, imo. We can speculate either way. It maybe a sign that they simply put the loss behind them quickly, which is something you have to do in a series.

That is exactly the atmosphere description that the Isles reportedly had after their dismal game 1 performance.

So, who knows......

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:25 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
2) It's always challenging to find the right goalie. It's often not as clear cut as a Lungqvist or Brodeur.

5) Who would you replace him with? If we had found a legit backup goalie with 1st string potential, don't you think we would have gotten him? or do you feel that the Pens management is drinking Fleury-cool-aid?

Agreed...if we did a 2 step shorter pass, probably would make things easier and more stable, and turnovers more controlled...but realistically, I'm not an NHL coach .

You can see that our focus on the stretch pass really makes our D vulnerable. Our forwards hightail it out of the D zone the second we almost get the puck.
Of course it is-does that mean you should settle for less?

Not saying there is a viable replacement for Fleury in two years. There might be, there might not be.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:26 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
We heard this all before, after Game 1 last year.

they have to stop being talk and start doing it out there. Tomorrow will be a huge test

Old
05-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again: What they say to the media might not be what they say in the locker room.

What is Sid supposed to say differently here?
http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...id=DL|PIT|home

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again: What they say to the media might not be what they say in the locker room.

What is Sid supposed to say differently here?
http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...id=DL|PIT|home
Some impressive insider info there

Old
05-04-2013, 10:31 PM
leafspensfan

I just watched the latest IN THE ROOM segment, and if that's anything to go by, I feel that Bylsma talked sense into these guys and brought them back on the same page, and we'll win tomorrow

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:32 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I just watched the latest IN THE ROOM segment, and if that's anything to go by, I feel that Bylsma talked sense into these guys and brought them back on the same page, and we'll win tomorrow
Optimism!

Old
05-04-2013, 10:33 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Optimism!
No idea if you're a Pens fan or not, but that's the best we can do right now

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Some impressive insider info there
Or you know.. common sense

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Master Shake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
if he can't handle the pressure, he shouldnt be this teams goaltender.
You guys are being ridiculous. Hes carried this team to two cup finals. He was not the problem last night either.

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Or you know.. common sense
It was a joke...relax

Old
05-04-2013, 10:41 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
You guys are being ridiculous. Hes carried this team to two cup finals. He was not the problem last night either.
We might as well call Tom Barasso out of retirement-he won us 2 as well. What Fleury did 5 years ago is meaningless in these playoffs

Old
05-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
We might as well call Tom Barasso out of retirement-he won us 2 as well. What Fleury did 5 years ago is meaningless in these playoffs
By that logic, so is what he did in last year's playoffs.

I'm surprised to see that people don't like the Pens having a relaxed practice. I'd much rather they deal with it and move on quickly rather than dwelling on it. Doesn't mean they're happy with how they played or that they didn't learn anything, it just means they're not going to let it fester.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Just some things on my mind....

- at what point does Malkin understand situational hockey? He's suppose to be a leader and set an example. That behind the back pass, from behind his own net that went right to an Isle in front, really makes you wonder what goes through his head.

I know people make excuses because he creates so much, but so does Dats. However, you rarely ever see Dats do stupid **** in his own zone. The thing is, you know DB has more than likely had multiple discussions with him about it. Yet every playoff season it's the same thing...

Just odd that he doesn't get it because Malkin has such a high hockey IQ.

- I'm glad the Isles humbled this fan base... Reading the sweep talk and lack of respect for the Isles was shocking. This team throttled Mon in game one a couple of yrs back, how did that turn out?

This team hasn't proven anything. They have been rolled in their last three playoff series and have a losing record in their last 30 playoff games. Where exactly is this arrogance from our fan base coming from?

Certainly not from anything this team has done in the playoffs the last three years.

This isn't the 93 Pens who were two time champions and won 14 straight playoff games. At least then I could understand the overconfidence those guys had.

- not one Penguin has outplayed Okposo. Props and respect.

- it's not the system; it's the execution.

- the Pens were being pissed on by the Isles all night, "the fight" didn't change anything.

- I rarely rag on MAF, but I admit he is a flakey dude and I thought it was funny as hell he found a way to score on himself again. He's like a box of chocolates...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Just some things on my mind....

- at what point does Malkin understand situational hockey? He's suppose to be a leader and set an example. That behind the back pass, from behind his own net that went right to an Isle in front, really makes you wonder what goes through his head.

I know people make excuses because he creates so much, but so does Dats. However, you rarely ever see Dats do stupid **** in his own zone. The thing is, you know DB has more than likely had multiple discussions with him about it. Yet every playoff season it's the same thing...

Just odd that he doesn't get it because Malkin has such a high hockey IQ.

- I'm glad the Isles humbled this fan base... Reading the sweep talk and lack of respect for the Isles was shocking. This team throttled Mon in game one a couple of yrs back, how did that turn out?

This team hasn't proven anything. They have been rolled in their last three playoff series and have a losing record in their last 30 playoff games. Where exactly is this arrogance from our fan base coming from?

Certainly not from anything this team has done in the playoffs the last three years.

This isn't the 93 Pens who were two time champions and won 14 straight playoff games. At least then I could understand the overconfidence those guys had.

- not one Penguin has outplayed Okposo. Props and respect.

- it's not the system; it's the execution.

- the Pens were being pissed on by the Isles all night, "the fight" didn't change anything.

- I rarely rag on MAF, but I admit he is a flakey dude and I thought it was funny as hell he found a way to score on himself again. He's like a box of chocolates...

The problem with throwing down the "disrespect" card is that other fanbases were taking us saying ANYTHING other than "we're going to lose" as disrespect towards the Isles.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:02 PM
plaidchuck

Yeaah Okposo hasn't out played any Penguin either. Big woop he got a fluke goal.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
The problem with throwing down the "disrespect" card is that other fanbases were taking us saying ANYTHING other than "we're going to lose" as disrespect towards the Isles.
I said it before game one and after, even posters from this board I really respect, were saying some really stupid things. I get expressing confidence in your team, but I don't recall in all the yrs I've posted on here, our fan base acting so cocky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeaah Okposo hasn't out played any Penguin either. Big woop he got a fluke goal.
More than stats to hockey, boss.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I said it before game one and after, even posters from this board I really respect, were saying some really stupid things. I get expressing confidence in your team, but I don't recall in all the yrs I've posted on here, our fan base acting so cocky.

More than stats to hockey, boss.
Maybe has had more open ice due to Tavares being focused on, that's all I would think.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
shizno

To the guy claiming the fight meant nothing:

Quote:
''It was a turning point of the game for me,'' Islanders captain Mark Streit said of the fight. ''Moulson got hit, and he stepped in for him. It was his first fight and he did really well and he got everybody really pumped and got everybody going.
''After that we never looked back. He's a great leader on the team. He had a great game, scored the game-winner. It doesn't get any better than that.''

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote