Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Jordie Benn is fine as a #7 defenceman. I wouldn't mind keeping him in that capacity.
IIRC Cannaughton and Gaunce can't go to the AHL without going through waivers next season. Benn might be the best option for a #7, but one of those two or both might need to be NHLers next season.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:47 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I would probably look at starting with what Vancouver gave up for Derek Roy, a 2nd round pick and a solid prospect.
That is way too rich for my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Oops, don't know why I typed that.

I don't want to move Daley unless we're moving up. Let's assume we make that deal and we're able to snag Monahan or Lindholm (seems pretty likely IMO). I think this roster next year could actually be pretty competitive:

Whitney - Benn - Chiasson
Hemsky - Lindholm/Monahan - Eriksson
Roussel - Eakin - Cole
Garbutt - Fiddler - Nystrom

Dillon - Robidas
Goligoski - Gaunce
Rome - Larsen
Benn

Nevermind about that being competitive. Looks solid for the future, though. Only 4 major holes going forward (Whitney, Hemsky?, Cole, and Robidas) and all should be able to be filled internally.
I haven't read that Monahan or Lindholm are NHL ready yet. Even if they were they might be better off in junior/Sweden, respectively.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Jordie Benn is fine as a #7 defenceman. I wouldn't mind keeping him in that capacity.
No, he's not. He's not even a good #7 in the AHL.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:51 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
That is way too rich for my blood.

I haven't read that Monahan or Lindholm are NHL ready yet. Even if they were they might be better off in junior/Sweden, respectively.
I've heard that Monahan is NHL ready, but Lindholm isn't.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't care if either one is NHL ready, moving Daley to acquire one is a good move. We need that center way more than we need Daley. This team isn't competing for anything next year anyway.

Benn is adequate as a 7th d-man in the abstract, the problem is you have to play your 7th sometimes and with that caveat I don't want Benn as the 7th.

Assuming neither Connauton or Gaunce bomb at camp they have to be on the big roster. There's no way that's happening if you keep Robidas/Daley/Larsen, plus Benn.

Two guys need to go and quite frankly both Robidas and Daley have the most value and have been here since the defense became a problem. They need to go first and Larsen needs one last look to discover if he's a guy to keep going forward.

Dillon-Goligoski
Connauton-Gaunce
Rome-Larsen
whoever

Old
05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
haha, your complete hatred of Jordie Benn based on absolutely nothing is humorous as always.

seriously guys, the person who sits in the press box and only plays 20 games a year is going to make some mistakes when he gets out there. Every team has to deal with these types of players when their regulars get injured. Jordie Benn skates well, can move the puck decently, and did a good job on the PK early in the season. He'll also play for league minimum salary which is important for a 7th defenceman in a cap world. Yeah he makes a few mind blowingly bad decisions from time to time, but that's pretty much everyone on our defence.

For some reason hockey fans always seem to single out the guy who is being paid league minimum salary to scapegoat. If Benn was getting paid 3 million a year I could understand it... well Cin in particular seems to have some personal vendetta against Benn so he goes further than most, but believe me - you could do much much worse for 15 minutes a night in this league.

**now that I think more about it, I feel the reason everyone on this forum turned against Benn was because at the start of the year he was way in over his head thanks to Gulutzan. When Aaron Rome was hurt, Dillon was getting his feet wet, and Larsen was (rightly) healthy scratched for crimes against hockey Gulutzan had Jordie Benn out there for like 23 minutes a night and heavy usage on the penalty kill for a stretch of a couple of weeks. On any sane team, Benn would only get 13-15 minutes against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines - in that role he would be perfectly fine.

Sure we can find another guy to do that, I don't think who the 7th d-man is should have any real impact on how the team does over the course of a season. I just can't wait for everyone to start bagging on the next guy who's brought in to fill the same role.

Last edited by Alistar: 05-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old
05-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Brand New Stars

Benn is bad but I'd take him over Woywitka and Pardy.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
haha, your complete hatred of Jordie Benn based on absolutely nothing is humorous as always.

seriously guys, the person who sits in the press box and only plays 20 games a year is going to make some mistakes when he gets out there. Every team has to deal with these types of players when their regulars get injured. Jordie Benn skates well, can move the puck decently, and did a good job on the PK early in the season. He'll also play for league minimum salary which is important for a 7th defenceman in a cap world. Yeah he makes a few mind blowingly bad decisions from time to time, but that's pretty much everyone on our defence.

For some reason hockey fans always seem to single out the guy who is being paid league minimum salary to scapegoat. If Benn was getting paid 3 million a year I could understand it... well Cin in particular seems to have some personal vendetta against Benn so he goes further than most, but believe me - you could do much much worse for 15 minutes a night in this league.

**now that I think more about it, I feel the reason everyone on this forum turned against Benn was because at the start of the year he was way in over his head thanks to Gulutzan. When Aaron Rome was hurt, Dillon was getting his feet wet, and Larsen was (rightly) healthy scratched for crimes against hockey Gulutzan had Jordie Benn out there for like 23 minutes a night and heavy usage on the penalty kill for a stretch of a couple of weeks. On any sane team, Benn would only get 13-15 minutes against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines - in that role he would be perfectly fine.

Sure we can find another guy to do that, I don't think who the 7th d-man is should have any real impact on how the team does over the course of a season. I just can't wait for everyone to start bagging on the next guy who's brought in to fill the same role.
The waiver situation is the problem. Benn would be an ideal #7 for next season as a guy who the Stars can afford to let sit in the pressbox instead of getting AHL minutes, but if Connaughton and Gaunce need to be in the NHL to avoid waivers, letting Benn go is the easy answer.

Also, I consider the Stars to have a defense that is easily in the bottom third of the NHL, and on many teams Rome, Larsen, and Benn would all be their #7 or lower. I don't expect you to go through 29 other teams, but when all NHLers are healthy I don't think Benn is ahead on the depth chart of most teams' current #7s. I guess the Stars could do worse, but that would be because of some other organizational weakness rather than Benn being at least the 210th best NHL defenseman.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:15 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I don't care if either one is NHL ready, moving Daley to acquire one is a good move. We need that center way more than we need Daley. This team isn't competing for anything next year anyway.

Benn is adequate as a 7th d-man in the abstract, the problem is you have to play your 7th sometimes and with that caveat I don't want Benn as the 7th.

Assuming neither Connauton or Gaunce bomb at camp they have to be on the big roster. There's no way that's happening if you keep Robidas/Daley/Larsen, plus Benn.

Two guys need to go and quite frankly both Robidas and Daley have the most value and have been here since the defense became a problem. They need to go first and Larsen needs one last look to discover if he's a guy to keep going forward.

Dillon-Goligoski
Connauton-Gaunce
Rome-Larsen
whoever
I was responding to penciling them into the linup for next year. I agree they're worth trading up to get, depending what it takes. It's hard to say what will happen on draft day but if there's a semi-surprise like Shinkaruk going before our pick I will be happy with the options we have. At this point I'm inclined to stay pat if the cost of moving up three spots is Daley. It really depends on what they think the upside is of any of these young centers.

Also, your statement on Jordie Benn is pretty funny. He's adequate as a 7th "in the abstract" but not if he actually has to play games. That means he's not adequate as a 7th defenseman because 7th defensemen play sometimes on every team.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:00 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I've been anti-Hemsky for years now for the reasons I mentioned, and now you got me pondering him. It's that talent. That darn talent.

Positive is, as Hull Fan mentioned, he only has one year left so it's not a huge commitment at this point.

There's positives and there's definitely negatives. Wouldn't want to give all that much.

Btw, where in AB you from?

Old
05-05-2013, 10:56 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Dillon-Goligoski
Connauton-Gaunce
Rome-Larsen
whoever
I'm sorry, but there are way better options than that.

Without trades/UFA's:

Dillon-Goligoski
Daley-Connauton
Robidas-Larsen/Gaunce

With trades/UFA's:

Dillon-Streit
Daley-Goligoski
Robidas-Connauton/Larsen

Obviously people think Daley might be traded to move up in the draft, so there's that possibility. The projected lineup for 14-15 looks awesome, and if we don't trade up, and draft Ristolainen, it's crazy good:

Oleksiak-Ristolainen
Dillon-Goligoski
Connauton-Morrow/Gaunce

Old
05-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

the thing is sean I can't see a development guy like Nill or Les Jackson being okay with Larsen, Gaunce, Connauton on the roster but not playing regularly. There's the real issue. If Daley or Robidas are still here then they're going to play and young guys who need to play to take the next step up from the AHL are going to sit and that's not a good strategy for the long term improvement of this defense.

We'll see but at least one has to go and probably two. Larsen may well be one of those guys but if he can show what he did the season before he'll have great value next offseason when Nemeth, Oleksiak, Morrow, Jokipakka are NHL ready.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Rome is the type and quality of player you want as a #7. You want a safe, stay-at-home guy who can slide into the lineup and not concern you with what he's going to do. Your #7 isn't some crazy offensive risk-taker who suddenly is featured on your PP whenever he actually plays like Jordie.

Then the goal becomes to have 6 players better than Rome.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Btw, where in AB you from?
Currently I live in the hell-hole known as Fort McMurray

Old
05-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:

I've posted it in several threads throughout this shortened season. The guy simply cannot think the game at NHL speeds, and honestly has trouble with AHL speeds. He's a nice dude, and I'm sure it's just so incredibly fun for Jamie to have him around, but he's really not worthy of a spot here. He's proven it time, after time, after time. He's not an NHL defenseman in ANY capacity.

You certainly do know how to type out a case for him. Still all wrong, though.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
I have some relatives working there, apparently it's very expensive to live there.

In response to Jordie Benn....I doubt we'll see much of him next season. As piqued mentioned, Rome is an ideal 7th D-men, safe and effective in his own zone. I really think Daley will be traded at the draft if we move up to acquire a center, if not than I could see him being packaged for a #2 center. We have enough offensive upside d-men in Connauton, Larsen, and Goligoski. If it was my decision, I'd trade Goligoski and keep Daley.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
IIRC Cannaughton and Gaunce can't go to the AHL without going through waivers next season. Benn might be the best option for a #7, but one of those two or both might need to be NHLers next season.
Gaunce is likely a throwaway. I can't see him making the NHL next season, in addition, I can't see anyone picking him up on waivers. Connauton, sure, he'll be in the NHL likely at the expense of Rome.

I see our defense next season if nothing changes as these six guys (Not neccesarily the pairings):

Brenden Dillon - Stephane Robidas
Alex Goligoski - Trevor Daley
Kevin Connauton - Jamie Oleksiak
Jordie Benn

I see Larsen getting traded/waived sadly. Nemeth slots in with Dallas if Robidas is traded. Rome is traded ala Pardy or is waived.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Gaunce is likely a throwaway. I can't see him making the NHL next season, in addition, I can't see anyone picking him up on waivers. Connauton, sure, he'll be in the NHL likely at the expense of Rome.

I see our defense next season if nothing changes as these six guys (Not neccesarily the pairings):

Jordie Benn

I see Larsen getting traded/waived sadly. Nemeth slots in with Dallas if Robidas is traded. Rome is traded ala Pardy or is waived.
I think it would be foolish to split Dillon and Goligoski. Its clear Goli should be playing with a big physical defenseman.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I think it would be foolish to split Dillon and Goligoski. Its clear Goli should be playing with a big physical defenseman.
Dillon should be playing top minutes, not minutes babysitting a poor defender. I did also say that those are just the top 6 guys I'd want if nothing changes, not neccesarily the parings.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Nullus Reverentia

I'm also forgetting about Joe Morrow. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next year.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

Jordie Benn

I just think that rather than lose Gaunce for nothing, he would be a better candidate to fill that #7 spot than Benn.

Also, I'd rather see Oleksiak in the AHL at least until the deadline so he can continue to see big pressure minutes and maybe develop a little more mean streak.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

One guy in FA we haven't really talked about is Stalberg. UFA in Chicago, probably gonna have to be let go, especially if he wants a raise, and he has some ridiculous wheels. Would be a good 3rd liner for us IMO, and definitely fits in with the whole speed thing too.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Is it a coincidence that I just an unknown call from there...?

Old
05-05-2013, 04:08 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Was waiting for you to come in on that.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
I'm also forgetting about Joe Morrow. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next year.
I too forgot about Morrow

He'll likely be a call-up next season.

Closed Thread