HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's been 2 years. Be honest re: Jerseys/logo

View Poll Results: Would you want us to have our retros instead? (private not public results)
Yes 32 19.51%
No 131 79.88%
Yes, but I tell people no 1 0.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2013, 08:12 PM
tntkid

vCash: 500
Our home blue jerseys kick a$$!

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Winkler vs Morden

vCash: 949
Love Em,

I think we have one of the best logos in the league

I think the Jerseys could be tweaked, but not sure how

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:01 PM
sennin

Love the aways, homes are nice too but I wouldnt be upset if they were tweaked

sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:35 PM
jigglysquishy

Love the jersey, dislike the logo. I absolutely adore Canadian history, but our logo is just so plain. It looks like one of the random logos EA would throw in the NHL games for a Create-A-Team.

I would be fine if we kept the jerseys and oomfed up our logo.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Rook37

vCash: 583
Something about the jerseys just feels kind of... bland? to me. Not as bad as Minnesota, but still. They're not super eye-catching. I'm not sure if it's just that the logo looks too corporate or what, but I'm not the biggest fan.

That said, I do like the way they look and I'm no designer so I'm not really sure how to improve them. I just think they could be tweaked.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:56 PM
fitzy0019

i 100% associate the new threads with the winnipeg jets. the logo and arm bands are easily recognizable and can be spotted in a crowd even if the jets arent a team playing. although, i am a jersey collector and would buy whatever 3rd jersey is put out in the next few years. imo, i think i third jersey will be produced when we host an outdoor game. people will be chomping at the bit by that point to get new jets merch!

fitzy0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

It's heartening to see all the love for the new jerseys and logo. I am a big fan of the new logo - it's simple, iconic and it will look just as good in 10 years or 100. I love the simple, unadorned, classic look...compare the Raptors cartoon dinosaur dribbling a basketball to something like the Washington Huskies stylized husky head.

I'm sorry, but the old Jets logos were terrible. The WHA / early NHL ones were particularly bad. I probably told this story before, but in the late 80s when the team said they were redesigning the logo, I thought to myself "Great! Finally we can do something cool with this whole Jet idea and not have a pie plate with a bunch of writing" and what do they come up with? Basically the same logo but not drawn by a 13-year-old this time. Ugh...glad that's gone.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:55 PM
bazaaa*

I was 'okay' with the logo when it came out. But once I seen it on the jersey I thought it looked amazing.

My suggestion from day one (business minded), was TN calls the teams the Jets, and gets a new logo. They will sell merchandise like crazy. Then after a couple years, release a retro alternate jersey, and the cycle will repeat. Jerseys are still selling like crazy, I bet they are waiting for it to die down more before they introduce a third jersey. And it will be retro, and it will cash in again because people love seeing the old logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Love the jersey, dislike the logo. I absolutely adore Canadian history, but our logo is just so plain. It looks like one of the random logos EA would throw in the NHL games for a Create-A-Team.

I would be fine if we kept the jerseys and oomfed up our logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook37 View Post
Something about the jerseys just feels kind of... bland? to me. Not as bad as Minnesota, but still. They're not super eye-catching. I'm not sure if it's just that the logo looks too corporate or what, but I'm not the biggest fan.

That said, I do like the way they look and I'm no designer so I'm not really sure how to improve them. I just think they could be tweaked.
I think the problem you guys want something more, but the logo was created to be a timeless logo. In 20 years from now, it will be up there with the Redwings, Leafs, Bruins, etc, while the logos you like now will be long gone.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Sly Jets Fan

So, has anyone actually heard if True North is going to have a 3rd jersey for this coming year? I thought I remember Mark Chipman mentioning in an interview during our first year that there would be nothing new for this past year, but the next year was a possibility, which would be this coming season.

Sly Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

They might wait until they put on a heritage classic to come out with a retro third.

Personally I was expecting more when the logo came out, but it grew on me. I could see a tweak in a year or two.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Warcry

vCash: 351
If I had the choice I'd go with retro jerseys, but that's got less to do with nostalgia than a general dislike for the way the new design turned out. The two shades of blue they chose just don't look very good together at all, at least not to me, and every time I look at the new sweaters my first thought is about how badly they clash. On top of that, the design of the home jersey is pretty bland with way, way too much dark blue and not enough contrast breaking it up. The whole package leaves me fairly cold, to be honest. I've never understood why they decided to go with a second shade of blue instead of using red as their tertiary colour like the old Jets did, especially since they've already got red in the logo.

On the other hand I really like the new logos, both the jet-compass main crest and the pilot-wings shoulder patch. The old logos were way too busy and didn't do enough to emphasize "Jet" theme, and feel very dated now to boot. The new ones are a breath of fresh air, and really have a "timeless" quality to them like a previous poster said. I could definitely see them outliving the jersey designs.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Libertyhaze

Not a big fan of the logo, can't wait for the 3rd unis

Libertyhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Rook37

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I think the problem you guys want something more, but the logo was created to be a timeless logo. In 20 years from now, it will be up there with the Redwings, Leafs, Bruins, etc, while the logos you like now will be long gone.
Honestly, that's probably true. I mean, I like it now, I think it could be a bit more exciting but I do like, so given time I'm sure it'll grow on me. Especially in 10-20 years, I could definitely see that. Ah well, I guess I'm just picky

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:11 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Nothing wrong with the logo itself. Team needs to get better to represent what the logo stands for better IMO.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I like the new uni's and logo. I'd be happy if they came up with a nice retro 3rd though.
signed

GJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
jungles

I love our jerseys. Love the logo, love the colors. I think they look sharp, and I think they look classy.

That said, I think with a few tweaks, both the jersey and logo could look even better.

jungles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungles View Post
I love our jerseys. Love the logo, love the colors. I think they look sharp, and I think they look classy.

That said, I think with a few tweaks, both the jersey and logo could look even better.
I would really like one of the tweaks to be contrast laces at the neck. I really like the laces, but don't like the fact that they don't "pop"

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:33 PM
ahplk

I love the new look as it sort of feels timeless. If Columbus didn't already have our old colour scheme w/dark blue, the retro look would have been nice too.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:17 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Everybody's tastes are different. Myself, I couldn't disagree more. The only strong component is the circle. I like that they went bold and simple but don't think it's that creative.

angrymnky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Mighty Joe Moon

I love the new look. Maybe some minor tweaks to improve, but not a ton. The whites are great, the sleeve stripes look a little odd, but aren't that bad. Cut 'em at the shoulder stripe like Florida? Shorten the shoulder stripe so they don't overlap? One or the other really, but ultimately I really like 'em as is. Probably my favorite any Jets team has worn in my lifetime.

The blues are good too. The solid navy is a little bland, but not too bad. What I would have liked to see on that one was a doubling of the stripe at the torso to match the sleeves and socks. But I do like them, even though I like the whites better.

Oh, kill the shoelace at the neck. Dumbest trend ever. Back in the day that string had a purpose. Now it, in conjunction with the NHL logo being right there, makes it look like they're wearing bolo ties. Or tie it in a nice big bow, maybe you can pretend it's a ribbon.

I did like the old looks as well. I liked the John Ferguson stripe pattern (80s), and I really liked that the logo changed colors based on which jersey they wore. White jersey had a blue crest, blue jersey had a white one. That was a neat touch that you don't see very often. The 90s jersey was a step down, and ultimately my least favorite. The WHA jerseys were classics. Clean and simple. Anyone else notice the WHA era jerseys were practically identical to the USA's Miracle on Ice jersey? I happen to think that was an awesome jersey. You could use these as inspiration if they ever decide to change the look.

As far as the logo goes, I much prefer the new one. Verbally describe the old logo (either 80s or 90s) to a blind person and you'll paint a picture that is virtually identical to the Islanders' logo. So, I'm glad they went a different way. I love the compass aspect of it, and the fact that there is no other red on the jersey helps the logo stand out.

They would have had to submit to the league any change requests for next season by now (I think the deadline is in January), so don't bet on it, unless they're really good at keeping secrets. I think you would have seen something on a site like icethetics by now if there was anything in the works. I just hope they don't go faux-retro. What do the Millionaires have to do with anything Canucks related? What were those things that Calgary wore for their Heritage Classic? Some other team back in the day? Why didn't they wear an actual heritage jersey for the club? The 80s cup winner or even the Atlanta Flames would have made more sense. Why did Detroit feel the need to cobble together various forms of their jerseys over the decades to come up with something that isn't at all retro? Or Toronto and their mixing and matching of logo with stripe patterns? Do even Leafs fans notice if they're wearing regular blues or thirds or retros anymore? There are only so many ways to align blue and white.

But yeah, old jerseys good, new ones better. Faux retro? Blech.

Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:38 AM
HannuJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I want the 90's version back.
you must have played badminton as a kid, since you clearly have an affinity for shuttlecocks.

either the WHA lettered "Jets" or this incredibly amazing re-boot someone did

HannuJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Everybody's tastes are different. Myself, I couldn't disagree more. The only strong component is the circle. I like that they went bold and simple but don't think it's that creative.
Creative like spelling "Jets" - but the "J" is a hockey stick! GET IT?!? GET IT?!?

I just worry that "creative" + "logo" = cartoony. Although I do love that angry little leprechaun with his dukes up in the Notre Dame logo in all its cartoonish glory.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
KillEmAll83
aka Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I would really like one of the tweaks to be contrast laces at the neck. I really like the laces, but don't like the fact that they don't "pop"
I agree. I don't know why there are blue laces on the blue jersey. White laces would look better.

"The entire jets scouting department are in the stands trying to get beer snake going." - Tootsmagoo
KillEmAll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
koth

I think the new jerseys are awesome. I love the colours they chose and the logo is really cool.

I never really liked the old jerseys. I always thought they were really boring, and I never liked the colours they chose.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:22 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I really like the new logo and how it ties into the Air Force and True North.

I would live to see the original WHA Jets jersey as a third jersey.

That's not the original WHA Jets jersey. This is:

Personally not a huge fan of the new logo, but wouldn't want to use a retro logo as our main one either. I would have preferred a new logo, but maybe something different.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote