HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Mirtle: Leafs’ central weakness exposed by Bruins

Old
05-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Semantics

vCash: 500
How was Mirtle "exposed"? The Leafs played a much stronger puck possession game tonight, going roughly even in shots until they were up 3-1, and they won as a result.

Carlyle inserted Gardiner, Frattin, and Hamilton in the lineup -- 3 guys who can move the puck much better than the guys they were replacing.

Tonight's game just proves how Mirtle was been right all along.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:02 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Game over,Mirtle exposed again as leafs win and get outshot. This must be making the stat makers go insane.Maybe they were insane already though. Reimer playing to his standard doesn't help this guys visionary reporting style either lol.

I will be waiting for a article from him giving all the credit to Reimer. Won't hold my breath waiting though.

Owned again Mirtle.

Orr still on the team and Mirtle must be going crazy that the leafs actually won.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Can't wait to read Mirtle's "Leafs expose Bruins' central weakness" article tommorrow.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:49 PM
The Shadow

Mirtle was bang on after game 1 - the Leafs changed their game and did exactly what he said they didn't do for the last month plus

they were a different team tonight - good article!

The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:27 PM
TheKule

Leafs made exactly the changes they needed to. Smart, short D to D plays and excellent use of speed by the forwards out of the zone. Definitely sat back once it got to 3-1, lots of puck watching in the defensive zone and as a consequence the Bruins tied it up. Thank god for JVR and Grabo because it was getting dicey.

TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:30 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Mirtle was bang on after game 1 - the Leafs changed their game and did exactly what he said they didn't do for the last month plus

they were a different team tonight - good article!
Not really. The leafs were still outshot again but won. Mirtle derp derp derp

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
How was Mirtle "exposed"? The Leafs played a much stronger puck possession game tonight, going roughly even in shots until they were up 3-1, and they won as a result.

Carlyle inserted Gardiner, Frattin, and Hamilton in the lineup -- 3 guys who can move the puck much better than the guys they were replacing.

Tonight's game just proves how Mirtle was been right all along.
Either your being difficult or delusional. The bruins out shot the Leafs 41 to 32 and the face offs were won by the bruins to the tune of 49 to 27. Where were they a better possession team again i'm wondering. Mirtle better man up and communicate how a superior goalie can really mess up sh!tty stats lol.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:39 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Orr still on the team and Mirtle must be going crazy that the leafs actually won.
Orr had a regular season plus 4 in his limited minutes.He is successful in his role and there can be no denying that. I would like to see McLaren and Colborne come in to sub Bozak/Komorow on monday. Bozak was owned in the faceoff circle tonight and did not show me much of anything actually. Its a long haul give them a sub maybe to add the big bodies.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:11 AM
TML23

Quote:
Orr had a regular season plus 4 in his limited minutes.He is successful in his role and there can be no denying that. I would like to see McLaren and Colborne come in to sub Bozak/Komorow on monday. Bozak was owned in the faceoff circle tonight and did not show me much of anything actually. Its a long haul give them a sub maybe to add the big bodies.
That's a GREAT idea. Let's bench our best faceoff man when we are losing faceoffs against Boston. I don't get the logic here

Plus, i don't get the big love for Orr. He can't play any other role than being a goon. No PK or anything. I bet Colborne can do exactly the same thing as him only if he was instructed to do so.

TML23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:35 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Game over,Mirtle exposed again as leafs win and get outshot. This must be making the stat makers go insane.Maybe they were insane already though. Reimer playing to his standard doesn't help this guys visionary reporting style either lol.

I will be waiting for a article from him giving all the credit to Reimer. Won't hold my breath waiting though.

Owned again Mirtle.
You're confusing short term vs long term odds. The studies done show that (since 2007) there is medium strength correlation between shot totals and winning. The data is true, it has an insanely high confidence interval. Something like the 99.9999999999985%.

Now in case you don't know what this means, I'm not saying that being outshot means that you will lose, but we can say with 99.99% certainty that there is a positive correlation between shot differential and winning. Of course, when dealing with short term odds (a single hockey game) being outshot does not mean you will lose. But over a large enough sample, being significantly outshot is not going to be good for long term success. At the end of day, all that matters is wins and losses. But the data show that teams that get badly outshot will tend to lose more than they win. These predictions are more long term, and should not be looked at for a single event.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:43 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML23 View Post
That's a GREAT idea. Let's bench our best faceoff man when we are losing faceoffs against Boston. I don't get the logic here

Plus, i don't get the big love for Orr. He can't play any other role than being a goon. No PK or anything. I bet Colborne can do exactly the same thing as him only if he was instructed to do so.
If you think he has been gooD on faceoffs you should check again.Its a myth. tonight he was 14 of 38. Kadri was the only center winning a majority tonight against the very best faceoff team in the league at 4 for 6.

Boston won loads of faceoffs like usual against Bozak. Where is the match-up benifit to having him opposed to Colborne?

Old
05-05-2013, 12:53 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
You're confusing short term vs long term odds. The studies done show that (since 2007) there is medium strength correlation between shot totals and winning. The data is true, it has an insanely high confidence interval. Something like the 99.9999999999985%.

Now in case you don't know what this means, I'm not saying that being outshot means that you will lose, but we can say with 99.99% certainty that there is a positive correlation between shot differential and winning. Of course, when dealing with short term odds (a single hockey game) being outshot does not mean you will lose. But over a large enough sample, being significantly outshot is not going to be good for long term success. At the end of day, all that matters is wins and losses. But the data show that teams that get badly outshot will tend to lose more than they win. These predictions are more long term, and should not be looked at for a single event.
The leafs were outshot all year and Pat Burns teams were outshot in the same fashion Carlyles teams are outshot.A defensive coach is not at all distinguishable in the context of the stat so therefore they are flawed. Burnsies teams won,Quinn's teams won with a mix of being outshot plenty,Carlyle's team wins with this supposed disadvantage.

Wilson's teams lost while out shooting and so did Paul Maurices teams lose while out shooting teams. Out of the 5 coaches the winning coaches of the leafs had shooting deficiencies based on the coaching style.

I don't see anyone splainin that one to me.Stats don't determine games but,games determine stats.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:53 AM
TML23

Quote:
If you think he has been gooD on faceoffs you should check again.Its a myth. tonight he was 14 of 38. Kadri was the only center winning a majority tonight against the very best faceoff team in the league at 4 for 6.

Boston won loads of faceoffs like usual against Bozak. Where is the match-up benifit to having him opposed to Colborne?
You really haven't watched the regular season have you... Bozak has been our go to guy faceoff man for all year long. Kadri has been the worst (44.2%).

Basing who to take faceoff on ONE single game, that is stupid. Bozak is a great addition to this team. He can make good plays and also penalty kill.

He's not your ideal #1 centre, but he brings more values than you would possibly think

TML23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:19 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML23 View Post
You really haven't watched the regular season have you... Bozak has been our go to guy faceoff man for all year long. Kadri has been the worst (44.2%).

Basing who to take faceoff on ONE single game, that is stupid. Bozak is a great addition to this team. He can make good plays and also penalty kill.

He's not your ideal #1 centre, but he brings more values than you would possibly think
He's just ok in the big body context and just ok enough defensively but, he has been declining in his faceoff success for some time now. Go to nhl.com and check his realtime stats for faceoffs. Some nights were very good.Some nights were not so good. Every night agaibst the bruins were not his signature successes.

Thats all just a idea chill.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:34 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Bozak is an NHL calibre player for one...

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Oops wrong thread.

Last edited by 7even: 05-05-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: durrr
7even is offline   Reply With Quote