HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason GDT:19/09/06: Bruins @ Canadiens, 7:30 PM, CJAD, CKAC

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Habs had their first line intact, but they didnt have their 2nd (Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev) and 3rd (Plekanec-Johnson) out there.

Anyway, the biggest issue was nearly every Habs rookie took a hooking penalty which gave Bruins more powerplay opportunities and took momentum away from us.

Good practice game, meaningless result.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:09 AM
1986Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
The Komisarek - O'Byrne pairing was interesting.
davedave (or anyone else who was at the game),

Who played on the left side of the Komisarek-O'Byrne pairing? Thanks! (Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere earlier in the GDT. I've read most, but not all, of the thread.)

Old
09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
So the full lineup of the Bruins minus Savard and Bergeron beat half of the Habs. Tomorrow, the full lineup of the Bruins plus those two will probably beat half of the Habs again, and it will still mean nothing

A full lineup, or close to full lineup means squat. Habs had their #1 line intact. Bruins #1 is Boyes/Bergeron/Sturm. 2 of those 3 did'nt play. Their #2 Center did'nt play. Let's see-Savard vs. Mowers?? And I listened to the game. Chara did'nt log his usual 30 minutes, they gave the rooks lots of icetime whether or not they had veterans playing. Alberts and York did'nt play either and I'm pretty darn sure Hannu was'nt in net...

Takes teams a game or two to get their legs going...until then penalities kill. It's just preseason and for evaluating talent but damn, saying B's won with their "full squad" is just rediculous.

During regular season, having ONE key player out hinders your chances for success because of line juggling. Boyes, Bergeron, Savard...hell-those guys got a combined 239 points last year...Dont suppose that's significant?

Habs came out flat thats it-period. Bruins did it their first game, Leafs did it their first game...MOST teams do their first preseason game.
Can't disagree with that. You could see Boston were trying things out too. I think games 4 and up of pre-season will be a better gauge of the teams' constitution and chemistry (or lack of) as most prospects should have been cut by then and teams will start using those games for preparation more than evaluation and experimentation.

I thought Kessel looked really good out there. He was really flying. Finishing might not come right away but he'll definitelly create lots of things with his speed and high octane plays if he makes the team.

As for Milroy, he hasn't progressed one iota in 3 years. Classic case of a prospect maxing out way too soon. IMO there's not one chance this guy ever plays in the NHL. There's nothing even remotely intriguing about him.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:15 AM
GoodKiwi

All I can say is that I have never seen a period played so badly by a team as I have last night. We couldn't connect two passes the entire first period. Those rookies are so behind NHL standards that it isn't even funny.

Old
09-20-2006, 06:25 AM
yoteshot
Lazy Habs fan

Anyone saw the attendance?

20 000+ spectators!

Old
09-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Ferland is basically a cannonball. You aim him at a defenceman, and sooner or later there's a boom. But that's pretty much his game. There's always a place for guys like that, but they're usually kept in the spare part box. With Downey, Lapierre and Murray, I doubt he'll make the team.
Say what?

Old
09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Hockeymom67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior View Post
Anyone saw the attendance?

20 000+ spectators!
Personnally ....I don't think there was 20 000 ppl last night , as there was lots of empty seats

Old
09-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Let's get this moved to the GDT. I don't see why his report is any more special than the 3 already posted in it. Geez.

Old
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986Habs View Post
davedave (or anyone else who was at the game),

Who played on the left side of the Komisarek-O'Byrne pairing? Thanks! (Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere earlier in the GDT. I've read most, but not all, of the thread.)
I believe Komi played the right, and O'Byrne the left most of the time. I only really paid attention to that a couple times, so I don't know if they kept it like that all game.

Old
09-20-2006, 07:20 AM
mcphee

les 3C, I watched the highlights only last night but it got me thinking that the worst thing for Latendress right now is the media buzz around him. The promoting of him by CKAC that you refer to along with those maintaining that his last name is getting him the publicity, cancel each other out. The common thread between the 2 viewpoints is that latendress has nothing to do with either side. To dislike Lats because Villeneuve is in love with him seems stupid.

I think he can do some things that no one else on the team can do, and things that we've waited a long time for. The question for Carbo is whether he can do them consistently and can he play a 2 way game. I know no one wants to hear about a scorer's defense, and blah blah about ruining another prospect, but Carbo needs to trust him if he's on a line with the responsibilities that Bonk and Begin would have.

Murray,Downey,Perez,Kostitsyn, someone expected on the team won't be if Lats is to make it.

If Carbo was to sit Lats for 5 games in December in favor of Murray, the crowd would react, probably unfairly. Is he team willing to expect and ignore that ? Veterans on the team could resent the circus atmosphere around the rookie.

purely based on ice, I don't know. I haven't seen him play 4 or 5 games in a row against quality opposition. It could be fun to watch though. I hope Carbo speaks to the kid about ignoring the highs and lows of media/fan coverage, he'd be in a position to relate that quite well.

Old
09-20-2006, 07:27 AM
BostonPC
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Habs had their first line intact, but they didnt have their 2nd (Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev) and 3rd (Plekanec-Johnson) out there.

Anyway, the biggest issue was nearly every Habs rookie took a hooking penalty which gave Bruins more powerplay opportunities and took momentum away from us.

Good practice game, meaningless result.
The same thing happened to the Bruins playing the Devils (we took way too many penalties).... Lewis had the team work on this in practice all week and at least last night it paid off. It is only the first game and a pre-season one at that.... I am sure there will be lots of ups and downs trying to figure out rosters.

I didn't see the game but it sounded like Price was stopping everything last night....

Old
09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
HomaridII

Not sure if this has been quote before but this is Carbonneau's comments about Perezhogin:

Carbonneau didn't hestitate to suggest that lagging winger Alexander Perezhogin needs to pick up his game.

''I was disappointed with him,'' said Carbonneau. ''I know he's not a physical player, but when the puck is there, he needs to create something. I hope he picks it up in the next few weeks.''

This is from this article:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=178080&hubname=

Old
09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
HomaridII

Carbonnneau on Latendresse:

Au sujet de Latendresse, qui lutte avec Perezhogin pour le poste d'ailier gauche dans le troisième trio, il a dit: "Guillaume a commencé le match lentement, mais il s'est impliqué physiquement et a marqué un beau but. C'est un bon départ pour lui."

From the RDS article:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213310.html

Old
09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Personnally ....I don't think there was 20 000 ppl last night , as there was lots of empty seats
I suspect some season tickets holders don't bother coming for preseason games.

Old
09-20-2006, 08:23 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1 View Post
I suspect some season tickets holders don't bother coming for preseason games.
Why would they, hey ?

Seeing that this thread is 27 pages long and was visited over 22,000 times makes me wander about our collective mental health... This is just the very first PRE- SEASON game.

Old
09-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
I gotta say though... Both of Perezhogin's linemates where BAD for him (not the kind of players he should be playing with) and ur still wondering why he couldn't single-handedly do it all?

C'mon stop razing the guy when he started the year with Koivu u all knew what thedeal wasx...chill the BLUCK out and watch him make u eat ur socks

Old
09-20-2006, 09:32 AM
DerekT

Kanye, his linemates might have been bad, but when he had the puck he messed it up on his own. More often than not, his linemates had to save him!

Old
09-20-2006, 09:38 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Kanye, his linemates might have been bad, but when he had the puck he messed it up on his own. More often than not, his linemates had to save him!
I listened to about 10 minutes,[during commercials on House]. Murray Wilson commneted that Perezhogin was making low percentage cross ice passes when the only real option was to get the puck deep. Maybe trying to make a play that wasn't there.

You should change your user name to Toe. Short form of your last name, a historic Hab connection. Do it.

Old
09-20-2006, 09:40 AM
DerekT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I listened to about 10 minutes,[during commercials on House]. Murray Wilson commneted that Perezhogin was making low percentage cross ice passes when the only real option was to get the puck deep. Maybe trying to make a play that wasn't there.

You should change your user name to Toe. Short form of your last name, a historic Hab connection. Do it.
Damn, I missed House Was it any good? I think it re-airs on Sunday.

Perezhogin, from what I could see, just looked incredibly weak on the puck. A small breeze made him lose control.

And don't I have to wait a year to change my Username?

Old
09-20-2006, 09:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Damn, I missed House Was it any good? I think it re-airs on Sunday.

Perezhogin, from what I could see, just looked incredibly weak on the puck. A small breeze made him lose control.

And don't I have to wait a year to change my Username?
I love House. I like to insult those closest to me, as do they.

Old
09-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Why would they, hey ?

Seeing that this thread is 27 pages long and was visited over 22,000 times makes me wander about our collective mental health... This is just the very first PRE- SEASON game.
It's the mental health of all hockey fans. Some Bruin posters were ready to slit their wrists when we lost to the Devils a couple of nights ago.

09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton View Post
It's the mental health of all hockey fans. Some Bruin posters were ready to slit their wrists when we lost to the Devils a couple of nights ago.
I told the old man the score when he asked and he was torn between 'What the hell happened' and telling about how Floyd Curry asked him once if he could drive my Dad's CN truck.

Old
09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
les 3C, I watched the highlights only last night but it got me thinking that the worst thing for Latendress right now is the media buzz around him. The promoting of him by CKAC that you refer to along with those maintaining that his last name is getting him the publicity, cancel each other out. The common thread between the 2 viewpoints is that latendress has nothing to do with either side. To dislike Lats because Villeneuve is in love with him seems stupid...
I only listened on CJAD, so I don't actually really know how he played. I thought it seemed like they were downplaying Lats a little, though, relative to his 2nd star status and the profile he was getting "elsewhere". I can readily see how a "buzz" that over-rates his actual play would be the worst thing for him, if he ends up believing the hype himself. (And again, I've only seen him at the Rookie Tourney this year, so I have no actual opinion on last night's game).

At any rate, it made me write him into a verse of a parody I wrote a couple weeks ago, back when we were dealing with that newspaper article and another mini-flareup of the "great" Habs francophone composition debate.

(In case anybody has forgotten or doesn't know, I actually support the idea of having an "artificially high" francophone representation on the Habs... just like I was a Theodore fan when I did the parody on him... but they make good targets all the same, and I won't let my own opinion get in the way of poking fun at somebody. Plus I've had the "Michel Larocque and Guy Rouleau" line in my head for over a decade and it was about time it escaped. ).

Let's see if this one rings any bells...

There are Habs fans who know
all that's pur laine is gold
And they're eyeing a roster of francos
How we get them, who knows,
Lecavalier or Luongo
Or at least we could still trade for Gagne
Ooh, ooh,
... and they're eyeing a roster of francos

Dumont would sign here for less,
but we want to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
Have you heard of Lapointe?
Espèce de... ahem,
Sometimes all of our dreams are misguided
Oooh... it makes me wonder

There's a feeling we get
when we look to the West
We were robbed of Tanguay and Beauchemin
In our dreams we have seen,
Forum ghosts skating rings
Names like Beliveau, Lafleur, and Richard
Ooooh... it really makes me wonder

But don't worry 'cuz soon,
we will call our own tune
Then the Parti will lead us to freedom
And a new day will dawn
for Quebec's proud hockey sons
And the Nation will drown in Cups and poutine

If there's no Markov, and no Koivu,
don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the new team,
Yes, there are two paths we could go by,
but in the long run
There's still hope with GM Bergeron
And it makes me wonder

Our team is humming "Gens du pays",
before the faceoff
The Parti's calling you to join them
Dear Vincent, Simon, Daniel, Roberto,
think about it
Your glory lies in la belle province

And when we play a game at home,
Latendresse always steals the show
We’ll have a roster of francos
Proud hockey greats, with names you know
Still capable of scoring goals
Don’t believe they’re too passé
Try Erics Desjardins or Dazé
“je me souviens” you will recall
Michel Laroque and Guy Rouleau

And we're building a roster of francos...

Old
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
mcphee

BG, what I remeber about the original is that you had to make your move before the uptempo part.

Great work. If anyone's offended, screw 'em. Not literally of course, that would be very time consuming and probably unpleasant.

Old
09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Theran189

Having read Jan Wong's article about Dawnson's shooting yesterday, it is not that kind of song that could offend me more... In fact nothing could as Wong's article was the stupidest thing I've read in years... But I'll still add that these kind of things won't help the problem you see in french canadians wanting more french habs on the team... By always coming up front with it, I think you are just illustrating the misunderstanding between english and french speakers in Canada... I think that comments in the «if they are unhappy screw them» category should not be allowed as it would be their rights not to find it funny... There are more french speaking people on this board than the no french allowed rule would make you think... As we are all habs fans, I think we should concentrate on that appreciation for the greatest hockey team in history as a way for getting back along instead of trying some socio-politico-low-class comments... I'm not referring at the parody which is pretty funny in fact when I'm talking about low class but to some other comments often read here...

Closed Thread