HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 2: Rangers @ Capitals 5/4/13 - Lundqvists 0 - Capitals 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2013, 06:28 AM
  #801
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Absolutely mind-boggling, that there is serious talk about Lundqvist not being good enough in the playoffs after yesterday's game. Only in Rangerland...

He let in one softie in the first game, but was stellar otherwise. If you want to blame someone there's more than enough places to look.

Start with the PP. That lost us both games more or less. We had 3+ minutes of PP time including more than one minute 5-on-3 when game 1 was tied at 1. It failed. We had two powerplays late in the third and OT in game 2 and it failed.

Look at Rick Nash, our supposed offensive focal point who has vanished for most of the time. It's not even the playoffs, he was invisible in most games down the stretch when we were fighting for the playoffs. Hitting the post just ain't good enough.

The list goes on and on, Richard being back to his brutal self, our defensive not being at last year's level etc. and last but not least Torts and his complete lack of any idea for the offense whatsoever.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
  #802
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Poor Lundqvist, he worked his butt off for no reason. He must be very tired of this team and coaching staff.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:45 AM
  #803
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 500
Enough with the Craps controlling the puck in our zone for 45 second intervals, we have to attack their mediocre defensive corps

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:51 AM
  #804
Thunderhead
Registered User
 
Thunderhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,093
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I don't think you guys are as bad as some are insinuating. Yes, you have some holes and key guys are injured (Staal, Clowe) but you got a horrible draw against an extremely potent Washington team. That was just not the matchup you wanted at this juncture.
I am sorry, but we are very bad. Look at the other playoffs games out there. Enough said.

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:12 AM
  #805
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
We absolutely could have won that game yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that our style of play is painful to watch and is extremely unlikely to win a Cup.

Keeping the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time is a great way to avoid being scored on no? so why don't we try that?


Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 05-05-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: sp
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:38 AM
  #806
blixt
Registered User
 
blixt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo
Country: Norway
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
We absolutely could have won that game yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that our style of play is painful to watch and is extremely unlikely to win a Cup.

Keeping the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time is a great way to avoid being scored on no? so why don't we try that?
Because they are afraid to make mistakes in the offensive Zone. Kreider, Brassard and Zucc had their best games before Torts stareted to coach them.


Last edited by blixt: 05-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.
blixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
  #807
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Fun fact I just learned: yesterday was Brayden Holtby's first career post-season shutout

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
  #808
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Fun fact I just learned: yesterday was Brayden Holtby's first career post-season shutout
And why would it not be?

Making scrub goalies look good since 1926.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
  #809
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Some of you are hysterical. As if it's Torts' fault Stralman hit the cross bar and Nash hit the post. Either goes in and it's a tied series.
It's also about consistency. I've seen fans shrug off quite a few bad performances. But unless someone was under a rock we have all seen this such an inordinate amount of times that the only conclusion is something is very wrong with this team offensively and it's a very wise suspicion that it's this coaching staff which has admitted to not coaching offense and the PP...even if they DO coach it and they were just being abrasive to the media it's apparent they don't coach it well at all.

On top of that two bona fide stars fell off an absolute cliff this year and offensively Cally has lost a great deal this year as well. Sauer who was just an all star when it came to defensive zone play was lost, Boyle has continued to regress and every single D man except for MDZ regressed at least a little this year.

Yet Hank has continued to be the best in the world and so a bottom 5 team based on their performance continues to make the PO's. The absolute best thing for this team and organization would have been an injury that sidelined Hank for about 1/2 the season. Either the team would have come together or they'd have gone in the tank.

The first 10-20 games of the season is when you can play the "it's going to be better card" but at this point in the season fans are going to be very frustrated with garbage like what we saw last night and no one should blame us. When someone smacks you or spits in your face you don't thank them for it

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:14 AM
  #810
NickyMaz
Registered User
 
NickyMaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
When I looking at it objectively the Rangers were seriously outplayed in both games. They had zero energy, zero passion. They played both games like regular season games with none of the extra drive you'd expect from a team in the post-season. The Caps are definitely the more dangerous team right now.

The offense has been non-existent, we spend way too much time trapped in our own zone. Richards looks like he's 90 years old out there. Nash looks timid for some reason. I don't for the life of me understand why no one parks in front of the net for rebound attempts. The defense has been overworked, given up odd-man rushes and handed the Caps several golden opportunities.

The power play has been, well, a NY Ranger power play. I dread seeing our power plays because the Cap's kill it and it swing the momentum totally in their favor and we spend the next 10 minutes defending.

Lundqvist has been the team's only saving grace, he's done an outstanding job these two games.

But, the Fan in me know there is hope. The Fan in me says we can still get this, all it takes is one win to swing the momentum, regain our confidence, win this series and send the Caps packing.

Also, I'd like to say just how much I hate the ****ing caps, I hate their team, I hate ovechkin, I hate the dumb gap in his team, I hate their idiot fans, I hate the airhorn, I hate the color red.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:21 AM
  #811
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Slept on the game.

I wanted to throw a brick through my TV every time the PK collapsed each time a Caps pointman wound up for a shot. Guess what? It ended up losing us the game. Lundqvist was in God mode yesterday, you let him see the shot. For those bashing Hank for not being a playoff player, enjoy my ignore list.. And yes, that is a coaching issue. It has nothing to do with the players. Torts' inability to make adjustments is absolutely infuriating. It's been for his entire tenure here too. Starting to get the feeling that I wouldn't mind seeing Torts gone after yet another 1st round exit after expectations this season, and essentially giving him his handpicked roster.

I love Zucc, but he's a regular season player. His style of play is not conducive to scoring in the playoffs. He's essentially a waste of a top 6 spot out there. Meanwhile you have a kid named Krieder who lives for big games and playoff hockey. Play him and give him meaningful offensive minutes. The power play sucks, why not try something different.

Put Stralman on the damn point instead of Ghirardi.

More later. Still really pissed off.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
  #812
tornmeniscus
Old School
 
tornmeniscus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
Offense: Get the puck behind the enemy net with all three forwards. Keep our D on the blue line.
Defense: Keep the puck behind our net until it's time to send it to the enemy D on the blue line.
In between: Stretch pass, tip in, dump in and switch to "offense"

tornmeniscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:28 AM
  #813
uccman39
Registered User
 
uccman39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyMaz View Post
When I looking at it objectively the Rangers were seriously outplayed in both games. They had zero energy, zero passion. They played both games like regular season games with none of the extra drive you'd expect from a team in the post-season. The Caps are definitely the more dangerous team right now.

The offense has been non-existent, we spend way too much time trapped in our own zone. Richards looks like he's 90 years old out there. Nash looks timid for some reason. I don't for the life of me understand why no one parks in front of the net for rebound attempts. The defense has been overworked, given up odd-man rushes and handed the Caps several golden opportunities.

The power play has been, well, a NY Ranger power play. I dread seeing our power plays because the Cap's kill it and it swing the momentum totally in their favor and we spend the next 10 minutes defending.

Lundqvist has been the team's only saving grace, he's done an outstanding job these two games.

But, the Fan in me know there is hope. The Fan in me says we can still get this, all it takes is one win to swing the momentum, regain our confidence, win this series and send the Caps packing.

Also, I'd like to say just how much I hate the ****ing caps, I hate their team, I hate ovechkin, I hate the dumb gap in his team, I hate their idiot fans, I hate the airhorn, I hate the color red.
You said everything I've been thinking...just to add that I cannot believe over 2 games including an overtime how few real good chances this team has had to score. When have you ever heard of a team scoring one goal in two playoff games and no one even thinking "wow, that goalie is really standing on his head". The rangers don't look like they get any open shots ever. Look at the green goal in ot. When has a ranger at the point ever had room like that.

uccman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:40 AM
  #814
NickyMaz
Registered User
 
NickyMaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccman39 View Post
You said everything I've been thinking...just to add that I cannot believe over 2 games including an overtime how few real good chances this team has had to score. When have you ever heard of a team scoring one goal in two playoff games and no one even thinking "wow, that goalie is really standing on his head". The rangers don't look like they get any open shots ever. Look at the green goal in ot. When has a ranger at the point ever had room like that.
Exactly, never in the two games were we really haven't made Hotlby work, while Hank has been pressured significantly throughout this series. Rangers have scored one flukey goal in 7 periods of play.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:43 AM
  #815
Water1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Move around on the power play
Stop standing around
Shoot the damn puck and get somebody in front of the net
You really can't score from behind the net

Water1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:53 AM
  #816
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyMaz View Post
When I looking at it objectively the Rangers were seriously outplayed in both games. They had zero energy, zero passion. They played both games like regular season games with none of the extra drive you'd expect from a team in the post-season. The Caps are definitely the more dangerous team right now.

The offense has been non-existent, we spend way too much time trapped in our own zone. Richards looks like he's 90 years old out there. Nash looks timid for some reason. I don't for the life of me understand why no one parks in front of the net for rebound attempts. The defense has been overworked, given up odd-man rushes and handed the Caps several golden opportunities.

The power play has been, well, a NY Ranger power play. I dread seeing our power plays because the Cap's kill it and it swing the momentum totally in their favor and we spend the next 10 minutes defending.

Lundqvist has been the team's only saving grace, he's done an outstanding job these two games.

But, the Fan in me know there is hope. The Fan in me says we can still get this, all it takes is one win to swing the momentum, regain our confidence, win this series and send the Caps packing.

Also, I'd like to say just how much I hate the ****ing caps, I hate their team, I hate ovechkin, I hate the dumb gap in his team, I hate their idiot fans, I hate the airhorn, I hate the color red.
I don't understand how there are people on here that I had to argue with because they insisted that we played well in game 2 and had all sorts of chances. What the hell did you and I watch compared to some of these other people? I think you said it though: objectivity. SOmepeople just lack the ability to put things in perspective and be objective. People do lack that for loved ones and sports teams. A lot of times they confuse objectivity for hating the team though and being "bad fan"

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  #817
TigerJack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country:
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blixt View Post
Because they are afraid to make mistakes in the offensive Zone. Kreider, Brassard and Zucc had their best games before Torts stareted to coach them.
This was probably Zucc´s worst game since his return. His first PO game on thursday was a good game and he booked almost 22 minutes. He just needs to relax more and play the game like it was a normal game. This is a mental issue for the whole team. Seems like even players like Richards and Nash are nervous on the ice.

Nash and Richie has been huge dissapointments in these series. The really need to step it up.

The series need to be tied after the two games at home, otherwise it is over.

The biggest problem with Tortorella is that he punishes players for mistakes. That´s why you get uncertain players on the ice afraid to make mistakes. I can just imagine what McD had to go through yesterday after his delay-penalty that decided the game......

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:57 AM
  #818
roxchipsi8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
And why would it not be?

Making scrub goalies look good since 1926.
its surprising because we went 7 games against him last year and im shocked he didnt get one then.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:00 AM
  #819
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Old chinese proverb: Can't win if you can't score.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
  #820
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxchipsi8 View Post
its surprising because we went 7 games against him last year and im shocked he didnt get one then.
Miracles do happen I guess.

We were close to being shut out in Game 6 ,if I remember correctly, but Gabby scored at the end of the 3rd.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:24 AM
  #821
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
This team is just a lost cause. Our game plan plays right into the hands of the Capitals. If you give guys like Green, Ovechkin and Carlson time to shoot off the PP, they will do it.

Some people have mentioned that this team is playing scared. That is entirely on Torts (). He always says people can't be afraid to make mistakes, but if they do make mistakes Torts () will bench them. Obviously they are going to be playing scared if their playing time is in jeopardy.

Rangers dug themselves quite a hole, and both my head and heart say they can't dig themselves out.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
  #822
snowcloud
Registered User
 
snowcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
It's also about consistency. I've seen fans shrug off quite a few bad performances. But unless someone was under a rock we have all seen this such an inordinate amount of times that the only conclusion is something is very wrong with this team offensively and it's a very wise suspicion that it's this coaching staff which has admitted to not coaching offense and the PP...even if they DO coach it and they were just being abrasive to the media it's apparent they don't coach it well at all.

On top of that two bona fide stars fell off an absolute cliff this year and offensively Cally has lost a great deal this year as well. Sauer who was just an all star when it came to defensive zone play was lost, Boyle has continued to regress and every single D man except for MDZ regressed at least a little this year.

Yet Hank has continued to be the best in the world and so a bottom 5 team based on their performance continues to make the PO's. The absolute best thing for this team and organization would have been an injury that sidelined Hank for about 1/2 the season. Either the team would have come together or they'd have gone in the tank.

The first 10-20 games of the season is when you can play the "it's going to be better card" but at this point in the season fans are going to be very frustrated with garbage like what we saw last night and no one should blame us. When someone smacks you or spits in your face you don't thank them for it
Excellent post! This team doesn't deserve a goaltender as good as Henrik. I bet he asks for a trade in the not-too-distant future. And I wouldn't blame him one bit.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
  #823
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,696
vCash: 50
I got into a fight with my Dad earlier over the state of our defense. Sorry, but I just don't think they're very good at all this year. It's extremely disheartening.

Last year, I went into games with the mentality that, "Okay, with our system and goalie, it will take 6 guys to **** up for the other team to score". Now it seems like its ALWAYS on Hank and it only takes an error in judgement by him.

If this team is a metaphorical boat, then its a wooden dingy and Hank's pulling the rope and the team throws him life rafts made of hand grenades.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:41 AM
  #824
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,326
vCash: 500
According to Brooks, Rangers have come back from 0-2 once in 86 years. That was the aforementioned 1996 Habs series.

Rangers in 86 years have never won a playoff series after losing first two games on road.

In 2007 they almost did.

I'd like to see Toronto-MTL in the CF. Great hockey IMO.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:47 AM
  #825
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Just caught the Torts presser on MSG, lol.

Comical.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.