HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Mike Green, playoff hero.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:44 PM
capsfan59

Turning into one of the best defensemen in the league. Next year will surely be a Norris candidate if healthy. Above average as a defensemen, but elite as an offensive defensemen.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:48 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

How do you spell hero? G-R-E-E-N

Old
05-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Mothra

compete level high....playing assertive....making things happen. This is great to see

Old
05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Close this thread and get rid of its bad juju....

Old
05-04-2013, 05:35 PM
discobob

Mike Green could carry this team to a Stanley cup and he'd still be called a "fourth forward" by the masses....I wouldn't really care, but it's amazing how certain stereotypes just won't die....

Old
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Dirtbag59

Crappy song but relevant lol

Old
05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

#SWAG

Old
05-05-2013, 12:26 AM
artilector

Green with playoff GWGs, basically no brain farts, and no signs of wearing down so far -- yes please! I'd gladly eat some crow on that one, though it's way too early to count the chickens.

It's very hard to quantify, but I bet Alzner deserves a lot of credit for providing timely support that gives Green extra time and space to make plays instead of running around with a huge X on his back. Also the Rangers have been spending a lot less time in the Caps zone than in years past, at least it seems that way, and this also helps mitigate some of the flaws in Green's game that might possibly still show up should a stronger team be able to put more pressure on the Caps..

Old
05-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Devil Dancer

Katie (IIRC) has reported that Oates' system is designed, in part, to shelter the D from physical play. Maybe that's paying off?

Anyway, Green's resurgence has really surprised me. After he seemingly reinjured his groin sometime around mid-season I thought he was done.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Move Green now.
A word, why??? Mike Green is currently excelling in a system that Adam Oates implemented ... Ahhh yes, the sell high mentality.... Gotcha.

Hmmm, see there is a problem with that. A flaw to this mentality is believing he'll aggravate his groin or get concussed again. Lets nip this thing in the bud... He has realistically only had two majorly riddled injured seasons. Okay, now lets look at the flip side of this diddy. Have players come back from serious concussed injuries? Yes, lets start with Patrice Bergeron. Now for nagging reoccurring and nagging groin injuries, and those who have come back healthy from the aforementioned... look no further than Martin Havlat. In hockey, there is always the potential there for a player to get hurt again. Having said that, like all things in life, there are two sides to a coin. There is also a chance he stays healthy and continues this, and why would that be foolish to suspect that? For the better part of his career he has been outstanding offensively. His confidence is at a high, and he's only 27. He is Washington's hero and poster boy for Game 2, playing against a very difficult playoff opponent, but you want to trade that, because of what has happened in yesteryear? Chicken Little... the sky is not falling. Please progress to the exit door. Bing-bing.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:06 AM
tycoonheart

I don't believe Ted/McPhee want to move Green. They're building this team around Ovi, Nicky and Green. Those three, IMO, will be here for a long time.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Katie (IIRC) has reported that Oates' system is designed, in part, to shelter the D from physical play. Maybe that's paying off?

Anyway, Green's resurgence has really surprised me. After he seemingly reinjured his groin sometime around mid-season I thought he was done.
I just dont see how that works...unless part of his system is telling players dont hold onto the puck forever......if he stresses that I guess it makes sense. Basically though, any system has some structure on who/where to pass/move the puck.....in the past 52 often took too long to make that decision and would be at the end of a lot of players finishing their checks.....most of this has been on 52, and while coaching certainly helps in the end a player has to figure out how to protect himself and still make plays, certainly routine plays.

I think Oates should get a lot of credit for getting 8 and 52 playing like they are.....but on this specific point I think 52 should get a lot of credit.....so i guess I think its less about the x's and o's of a system and more about the player learning.....ive mentioned Larry Murphy a few times in how he really took his game to its top level once he started to be able to quickly read the play while going into the corner on D. Being able to quickly make that first pass is key to limiting the times you get crunched by a forechecker

Old
05-05-2013, 10:42 AM
BobRouse

I am tempted to go through this thread to call out certain posters for their stances on Green but it will do no good since they are allergic to eating Crow and will probably try to revise history.

I wonder if people would still want to trade Green in the offseason since his value is high???

The usual Hator suspects...what do you think? Trade him? Dump him due to injury concerns? Because he sucks in the playoffs?

I'd be curious to hear what Brooklyn, Tolliver, Liberation and Mr Gone have to say about this being that they are notorious Green haters.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't know, Green seems to hold the puck for a very long time coming from the zone, hoping to make the best possible play, even if he has 2 guys on him. He makes a target of himself on his own.

Quote:
A word, why?
That was a joke.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I am tempted to go through this thread to call out certain posters for their stances on Green but it will do no good since they are allergic to eating Crow and will probably try to revise history.

I wonder if people would still want to trade Green in the offseason since his value is high???

The usual Hator suspects...what do you think? Trade him? Dump him due to injury concerns? Because he sucks in the playoffs?

I'd be curious to hear what Brooklyn, Tolliver, Liberation and Mr Gone have to say about this being that they are notorious Green haters.
lots of crow to be had between the trade ovi and green threads.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:07 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

The last week of the regular season, all I heard from the talking heads for Norris consideration were the likes of Subban, Suter and even Karlsson plus the usual Charra and Doughty. All Green does is finish the regular season as the top goal scoring defenseman and he never gets a mention.

I'm not saying Green should get the Norris, but he should at least be mentioned in such conversations this year after the regular season he had.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:09 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
lots of crow to be had between the trade ovi and green threads.
If Carlson and MJ had threads of their own there would be a crow feast of epic proportions. It would be the exact same posters too. At least they are all consistent in their scapegoating methodology.

None will step forward to even take a nibble.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Capathetic

How sick would it be if the caps go on to win the cup and Green get the Smythe?

He was red hot down the stretch. Say something like a few more ot/gwg with still good defensive play. That would troll hf forever.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:07 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
How sick would it be if the caps go on to win the cup and Green get the Smythe?

He was red hot down the stretch. Say something like a few more ot/gwg with still good defensive play. That would troll hf and Yzerman forever.
Fixed.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:49 AM
BobRouse

Needed to unearth this as to not derail another post...

For all the Green haters with short memories that is.

So Green is not a #1 dman but Duncan Keith is? They both make about the same salary wise.

Career stats

622 GP 59G 260A +101
vs
447 GP 94 G 192A +64

One of these guys was paired with Jeff Schultz the majority of the time while the other was paired with Brent frikin Seabrook. Let that sink in.

In the year where Keith won the Norris and Green was runner up here are their stats (again...Green was with THE GOLDEN STORK and Keith with Brent Seabrook)

14G 55A +21
vs
19G 57A +39

There was no rhyme or reason to it outside of the Yzerman backlash that Green got that year. Green should have won it just for the sake of having to play with Jeff Schultz!!

I wonder how their stats would have turned out had they reversed D partners?

Old
11-05-2013, 11:12 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Duncan Keith is twice the player Mike Green is.

If you want to discuss in terms of points, why'd you pick Keith?

If you want to evaluate Green as an elite offensive Dman, then look at how he compares with Pietrangelo/Subban/Karlsson.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
The Golden Goose. At least if he spaced out, he was moving so slowly, no one noticed.

Green, sure he is taking it easy. It's November. He has bigger better deals now.

The problem is, him stepping up his game come playoff time. I don't think it will amount to much.

Count on no PPs come playoff time, or Green holding the puck up top, our PP toast. The best playoffs I remember from him, may well have been our first year in that Philly series. Has he led our defense or team in a playoff series? Is his playoff game, trending upwards?

He has flat out disappointed me in the playoffs. Injuries, bum rushed for 2 critical goals (cough games lost) versus Montreal, won't shoot syndrome (Alzner 10+ shots), Gordie Hat trick vs Philly; his game is all over the board.

Murphy and Gonchar two good comparables, were just more consistent and thus more reliable.

Norris candidates are easy to spot, but rarely to never for the wrong reasons.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Capitlols

I honestly don't think he's improved defensively since a few seasons ago.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
PRicci09

Not fair to compare the two, Duncan Keith actually has a functional brain

Closed Thread