HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spring 2013 Prospect Rankings: #6

View Poll Results: Sabres' #6 Prospect
Dan Catenacci (C) 3 4.35%
Brian Flynn (RW) 0 0%
Matt Hackett (G) 3 4.35%
Justin Kea (C) 0 0%
Andrey Makarov (G) 1 1.45%
Jake McCabe (D) 41 59.42%
Brayden McNabb (D) 13 18.84%
Chad Ruhwedel (D) 4 5.80%
Corey Tropp (RW) 4 5.80%
Linus Ullmark (G) 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
McCabe here, but Ruhwedel needs to be in this conversation. Ignoring the remarkable jump to the NHL from NCAA he made overnight, you needn't look further than his blatant comprehension of the position. He plays bigger than his size, plays the position with intelligence, supports his partner, and seems to get the puck to the net with a quickly released low, effective shot.

I'm high on ruhwedel for sure.
I agree about Ruhwedel. I was very impressed with his transition to the NHL. He didn't really look out of place. That being said, I think because he is new to the team, most of us don't know what to expect or what his ceiling is. I will admit that as much as I liked his solid play, I wasn't wow'd by the potential of a star in the making. Not that he can't be, but I saw a Lydman type and not a Lidstrom type.

Normally I would vote for McNabb over McCabe because I think McNabb has the higher ceiling and has proven more at higher levels, but there is just something special about McCabe. He's a leader that can excel at both ends of the ice and I think he's going to be a tremendous Sabre. For McNabb, I actually think he could still be the player we all hoped Myers would be. He's big, he's physical and he can provide offense. I love McNabb and I hope he reaches my expectations.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:45 AM
tmack224

Cat is going to be a great player. People are sleeping on him and I'm not sure why. I can't wait to see him play in the Ahl next year and get some time with the Sabres. I think he is an early call up with his style of play he can play on any of the 4 lines. He has the play making ability and scoring touch to play on the top lines and the tenacity to play on the bottom two.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:56 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I agree about Ruhwedel. I was very impressed with his transition to the NHL. He didn't really look out of place. That being said, I think because he is new to the team, most of us don't know what to expect or what his ceiling is. I will admit that as much as I liked his solid play, I wasn't wow'd by the potential of a star in the making. Not that he can't be, but I saw a Lydman type and not a Lidstrom type.

Normally I would vote for McNabb over McCabe because I think McNabb has the higher ceiling and has proven more at higher levels, but there is just something special about McCabe. He's a leader that can excel at both ends of the ice and I think he's going to be a tremendous Sabre. For McNabb, I actually think he could still be the player we all hoped Myers would be. He's big, he's physical and he can provide offense. I love McNabb and I hope he reaches my expectations.
Why would you have hope for McNabb but not Myers when they're basically the same age? I know it's easy to forget since he's been in the league for 4 years, but Myers is still really, really young. Also, how would McNabb be what Myers should when Myers' game is based on his skating and McNabb's skating is meh/below average? I like the kid, but if you think he's going to be a top pairing defenseman, you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Jim Carr's Rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Still McCabe, add Isackson.
this.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Why would you have hope for McNabb but not Myers when they're basically the same age? I know it's easy to forget since he's been in the league for 4 years, but Myers is still really, really young. Also, how would McNabb be what Myers should when Myers' game is based on his skating and McNabb's skating is meh/below average? I like the kid, but if you think he's going to be a top pairing defenseman, you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
Probably a poor choice of words on my part. I still believe Myers can be a #1 defenseman. The point I was trying to make is that McNabb shows the ability to be a physical defenseman and help out on the offense where Myers has rarely shown a physical presence.

And, yes, I believe McNabb has the makings of a top pairing defenseman if not a #1. But, if just about any of the players already selected in the poll don't meet expectations I would be disappointed. As a life long Bills and Sabres fan disappointment comes with the territory.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:22 AM
DemsIsGirglingSounds

McNabe

DemsIsGirglingSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Cat is going to be a great player. People are sleeping on him and I'm not sure why. I can't wait to see him play in the Ahl next year and get some time with the Sabres. I think he is an early call up with his style of play he can play on any of the 4 lines. He has the play making ability and scoring touch to play on the top lines and the tenacity to play on the bottom two.
I don't think many people are sleeping on him, a lot of people are high on Cat. I just don't see how you can rank him anywhere higher than 8th. I'd also be shocked if he's up next year at any point but I could be wrong. I can't see any way a first year pro is an early call up barring an absurd amount of injuries.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I don't think many people are sleeping on him, a lot of people are high on Cat. I just don't see how you can rank him anywhere higher than 8th. I'd also be shocked if he's up next year at any point but I could be wrong. I can't see any way a first year pro is an early call up barring an absurd amount of injuries.
It's happened plenty of times, recently even. McNabb, Pysyk, Foligno, and Flynn all got call-ups in their first pro years. Catenacci plays with speed and tenacity, and puts in effort on the defensive side of things. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get called up into a checking/energy line role at some point next year.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:40 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It's happened plenty of times, recently even. McNabb, Pysyk, Foligno, and Flynn all got call-ups in their first pro years. Catenacci plays with speed and tenacity, and puts in effort on the defensive side of things. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get called up into a checking/energy line role at some point next year.
Yeah, at any point was probably a mistake, he could get a look at the end of the year depending on how his season goes. I can't see any way that he's an early call up though.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:15 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Yeah, at any point was probably a mistake, he could get a look at the end of the year depending on how his season goes. I can't see any way that he's an early call up though.
Yeah I just see his blend of skill and tenacity being a good reason to bring him up. You won't stunt his growth throwing him on the 4th line. Where as guys like Armia I wouldn't want called up to play with our 4th line.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote